Author Topic: brainstorming: movie characters for use as megamek pilot portraits  (Read 10769 times)

plutonick

• Sergeant
I am googling image portraits of movie characters that I am going to use as mechwarrior portraits (for personal use of course). Can you suggest a few movies where the characters would be ideal for such a task? I am looking mainly for characters of militaristic sci-fi movies that look like they pilot something. A few I have got already are from the following

Will update this with the suggestions posted below (also will included a link to a .rar file later)
Google album (Anyone is welcome to add more and/or comment on those)

https://goo.gl/photos/rfP97SRJf31YTZ3K8

Mad Max (post-apocalyptic 3025)
Edge of Tomorrow
Pacific Rim (obviously)
Ghostbusters
Spectral
Rogue One (pilot guy)
Fury
Ridick/Pitch Dark (Diesel with gogles is good imagery)
Predator
Alien
Rambo II (Sly would mech a good mechwarrior)
G.I. Jane (can't find many female military movie characters I guess)
The Gamer
Ender's Game (good for Ford's ranking officer portrait)
Universal Soldier
Starship Troopers
Terminator (Sarah Connor Chronicles)
Expendables (good for old Captain portraits)
Expanse/Serenity/Battlestar Galactica pilots
« Last Edit: 08 February 2017, 13:09:37 by plutonick »
Need a newbie guide for Against the Bot (AtB / MekHQ)? Click here (v3 updated August '19)

Nav_Alpha

• Major
Re: brainstorming: movie characters for use as megamek pilot portraits
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2017, 05:31:29 »
Edge of Tomorrow - Emily Blunt is a kick Arse soldier wearing what is pretty much light battle armour.
Actually, that whole movie has plenty of fodder.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2017, 05:56:55 »
Avatar. Characters don´t get any more hard-ass than Miles Quaritch. Plus Michelle Rodriguez´ character. And a lot of the unnamed bit characters, too.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2017, 06:09:50 »
Excellent suggestions, I will update the list in the original post (and will later provide with a link to the .rar file with all portraits if that is allowed by the forum rules.

Also good choices are:

Spectral (most sci-fi squad based movies have good characters for mechwarriors)
Ghostbusters (hah, it's hillarious. All that ghostbusters equipment look like mechwarrior tubes and cables)
Need a newbie guide for Against the Bot (AtB / MekHQ)? Click here (v3 updated August '19)

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2017, 09:19:07 »
Aliens (esp. Spunkmeyer & Ferro, the dropship crew)
Space Marines (the awesomely cheesy straight-to-DVD one from 1996, featuring John Pyper-Ferguson as scenery-chewing villain)

Those two are off the top of my head, but when I've reviewed my DVD shelves, I might be able to dredge up some more.
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2017, 13:06:20 »
I made a google photo album with the portraits I gathered so far. Anyone is welcome to add more and/or comment on those.

https://goo.gl/photos/rfP97SRJf31YTZ3K8

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 08 February 2017, 14:46:58 »
tagged for reference. All these are pretty good.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #7 on: 08 February 2017, 16:38:05 »
The two live-action GI Joe movies would have some great pcitures too.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 08 February 2017, 21:03:06 »
Independance Day
We were Soldiers (scenes with the helo pilots)

something  little older:

Top Gun
« Last Edit: 08 February 2017, 21:05:58 by PurpleDragon »
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 08 February 2017, 21:08:44 »
Have you looked at the anime threads in these forums?  I don't know about them so much as I don't go look at them but since a good amount of anime is about or uses mecha pilots....

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 08 February 2017, 21:32:18 »
There are already a ton of portraits from various movies, tv series, eve online, BT products, and anime out there if you look.

Feenix released two sets of portraits, the Dylan release of HQ included various portraits which was also split into a separate download. Don't have a link handy.

If you are looking to create your own to be unique good luck.
If you are just looking for portraits to use, they are out there. DeadBorder even posted his own portrait pack some time ago that I really enjoy using.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #11 on: 08 February 2017, 21:56:22 »
There are a few options.

I have done various google searches to grab things for my own use and thus don't share to avoid any possibility of IP rights issues.

I've even grabbed a few forum avatars.

But some other things to think about:

Video games.  Yeah I found some pictures of characters from Tachyon the Fringe.  Great for any sort of pilot.

Characters from Star Trek.

Grabbed a few from deviant art.

There was also a site called hero machine I think that would let you do up your own paperdolls with color and outfit options.

krazzyharry

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 08 February 2017, 22:05:09 »
Feenix released two sets of portraits,
I submitted some to Feenix’s collection using Olympic athlete headshots and have added more to my own since.  Try typing in Special Forces or say tank commander into your preferred search engine and click on images.  WHAM!  Cool pics to choose from.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 08 February 2017, 23:15:30 »
THE biggest source of new BT portraits will come from the HBS BattleTech game once it is released. I think having that portrait generator will be really nice to have around for building up a unique force. Hopefully more useful than the EVE Online portrait creator. Which someone collected a lot of forum avatars I think it was to use. Forget who it was...

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 09 February 2017, 02:48:37 »
Have you looked at the anime threads in these forums?  I don't know about them so much as I don't go look at them but since a good amount of anime is about or uses mecha pilots....

I wanted pictures of real humans. Trying to make my MekHQ hangar look as 'realistic' as possible.

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 09 February 2017, 02:55:20 »
THE biggest source of new BT portraits will come from the HBS BattleTech game once it is released. I think having that portrait generator will be really nice to have around for building up a unique force. Hopefully more useful than the EVE Online portrait creator. Which someone collected a lot of forum avatars I think it was to use. Forget who it was...

Yes I know of the other options (EVE online, anime mecha, ink effect collection) but they all were ill-suited for my tastes.

Somehow, I find it very entertaining to have a mech pilot who I can related with according to his character in that specific movie... Furioza for instance already give me a badass no-nonsense mechwarrior vibe. The colonial marine gives me a more disciplined soldier-like attitude as a mechwarrior.

I can't associate in the same way with the 'ink-effect' pilots, or the cartoony mecha pilots.

Vampire_Seraphin

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 09 February 2017, 07:03:19 »
Color films only?

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 09 February 2017, 08:09:09 »
I personally would use only color films (since a b/w portrait would look weird among color portraits) but feel free to upload/suggest any film!

Vampire_Seraphin

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 09 February 2017, 21:16:15 »
Thumbed through your Gdrive file, you've got some dupes with ink effects, but less that I expected. Also some jpeg artifacts, especially on the Star Wars Amadala one.

Anyways, suggestions:

Babylon 5 for a wide variety of military looking characters in several different uniforms. Especially the movies In the Beginning & Call to Arms. Ditto the sister series Crusade

Battlestar Galactica (new & old). Same, many military characters.

Top Gun
Iron Eagle
Black Sheep Squadron
The Hunt for Red October
The Enemy Below
Enemy Mine
Any of the Wing Commander games that use live action cinematics.
Likewise the so bad its funny Wing Commander movie.

Most war movies centered on aviation or submarines. (Vehicle crews instead of infantry)

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 10 February 2017, 03:44:18 »
Thumbed through your Gdrive file, you've got some dupes with ink effects, but less that I expected. Also some jpeg artifacts, especially on the Star Wars Amadala one.

I know of ink effects and saw a couple of pic but never downloaded the package. My intention was not to supplement it, but rather create an alternative (for my personal use mainly), so I didn't bother checking for dupes in the first place.

What do you mean artifacts? Google photos album magnifies the pictures for better presentation. The actual pictures are 150/150 almost 1/3 of the size. In any case, megamek/mekhq shrinks them, therefore artifacts would be invisible.

Anyways, suggestions:

Babylon 5 for a wide variety of military looking characters in several different uniforms. Especially the movies In the Beginning & Call to Arms. Ditto the sister series Crusade

Battlestar Galactica (new & old). Same, many military characters.

Thanks for your suggestions. I avoided 80s/90s series because they would look out of place with  most modern portraits that I have already included

Top Gun
Iron Eagle
Black Sheep Squadron
The Hunt for Red October
The Enemy Below
Enemy Mine
Any of the Wing Commander games that use live action cinematics.
Likewise the so bad its funny Wing Commander movie.

Thanks for those suggestions. You reminded me of Das Boot. I need to find pictures from that movie.
I am indeed looking for pictures of actual pilots from movies where they have some gear on their face/head and are sweaty (heat is a bitch). Or shots of people behind the wheel of futuristic vehicles (like the one pic I have of J.Statham in the Death Race movie) but those are difficult terms to google.

Most war movies centered on aviation or submarines. (Vehicle crews instead of infantry)

Nice, you also reminded me of the B-17 movies (both the 90s one, and the most recent, post 2010).
« Last Edit: 10 February 2017, 03:48:09 by plutonick »

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 14 February 2017, 09:17:34 »
Looking forward to this, could always use more portraits!

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 15 February 2017, 11:02:16 »
OP your stills are kind of low-res. Check this out: http://www.moviestillsdb.com

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 16 February 2017, 02:40:23 »
OP your stills are kind of low-res. Check this out: http://www.moviestillsdb.com

My stills are 150/150 pixels. It's just that googlephotos enlarges them on their site.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #23 on: 23 February 2017, 23:55:54 »
I think you should go with 70s & 80s movie/real photos simply because we have a variety of worlds for style.  When I get more daring I will be digging through the Buck Rogers show and old BSG for more photos, right now I have enough just skimming military ones.

I have also taken screen shots while streaming shows like Farscape which has let me find the pose that I want from whoever in mid movement.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 24 February 2017, 02:50:58 »
Thanks, it didn't occur to me to actually take screenshots from streaming shows. Will try it.

Btw, google photos updated with more erm... photos.

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 24 February 2017, 09:53:53 »
Have you thought about looking for photos from the wars?  (WW II, Vietnam, Korea, Desert Storm,...)?

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 24 February 2017, 15:03:51 »
I want photos of actors from movies so I can inject (in my minds) trait's of the character they were portraying into the mechwarriors character.   

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #27 on: 24 February 2017, 18:03:46 »
I do the same thing, I use one of the ritzy club shot of the Merovingian from Matrix 2 . . . or maybe 3 . . . for a high end arms merchant.  I can hear the voice in my head and used the mannerisms when writing campaign related bits with him.

Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 24 February 2017, 21:25:28 »
Kelly's Heroes.
Black Sheep Squadron (also Baa Baa Black Sheep(same show different name))
Midway
Battle of the Bulge
Tuskegee Airmen
« Last Edit: 24 February 2017, 21:28:10 by PurpleDragon »

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
« Reply #29 on: 26 February 2017, 19:40:09 »
How about Sky Captain
(an eye-patch wearing Jolie is good for merc)

As another place to look, peruse youtube for scifi and military movies.  You can probably load up a good list from there.