Author Topic: Phoenix, AZ - Campaign 2018  (Read 4658 times)

csimian

• Corporal
Re: Phoenix, AZ - Campaign 2018
« Reply #90 on: 01 March 2018, 18:07:01 »
I never played in league style before so I defer to your expertise in how to make things enjoyable for everyone. Maybe have different force construction rules for each scenario and possibly different for defense vs offense on occasion.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #91 on: 01 March 2018, 18:09:19 »
That would be a good idea.

What I have to avoid is having players realize they have zero chance to win because of their force construction. "Do better next time" is OK for an online game that takes 15 minutes; for a once-a-month tabletop game requiring driving and several hours of play, everyone should have fun, and the chance to win should be affected more by play on the field than by one's ability to craft a force (but good force designers should still have an advantage).

csimian

• Corporal
« Reply #92 on: 01 March 2018, 18:40:11 »
I think you mentioned at one point maybe having the more experienced able to do less BV for a larger reward. That way the less experienced could use all their BV and be a little easier while the more experienced make it more challenging on themselves.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #93 on: 01 March 2018, 21:08:04 »
Maybe have different force construction rules for each scenario and possibly different for defense vs offense on occasion.

That would be a good idea.

That's what I've been suggesting.

The BV & the Unit count is set by Joel for each mission & varies from month to month.

BV could vary from 1500 Recon Missions to 9K full out assaults
Unit count could vary from 4-6 based on mission type as well.

I really don't like the idea of FSM as well, if you don't like Math with BV using simple addition, then adding in multiplying & dividing & fractions/ratios is going to be FFAARR worse. 
Toss in the fact that FSM was designed to cure 1 single problem type but basically did it very badly & created other problems when using it.
I see why it was removed from mandatory play.

What is worse, 2 infantry as initiative sinks, or, giving the Lance Player 50% more BV when he's against the Level-II player.
I know which one I'm choosing!
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #94 on: 02 March 2018, 11:11:52 »
FSM goes too far, but if we allow extra units we'll need to do something. As far as math goes, it looks like I can do it all with macros in Google Sheets. The only catch will be that that requires full access for all the players, so I'll need to create a sheet for each game that pulls data from the "master". (Not an issue, just new stuff to learn.)

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #95 on: 03 March 2018, 15:44:06 »
Limiting infantry to only the carried stuff just like we have been will cut down on that.

Maybe the real limit since you mentioned Ferrets is

1.  Don't be a Dick.
2.  No More than 1 Unit of ~150 BV.
  A.  You use those small BV units to fill in a gap to make 5K or w/e the limit is, but you can't use multiple smaller units if a larger one would suffice.
  B.  One 300 BV unit, not 3x 100 BV units.

Not saying you cant still work in the max # of units, but it cuts down on lots of the same small BV units.

Examples of 3500 BV x 3-5 Units...... Ok v/s NOT Ok
Ok     2000 + 1000 + 500
Ok     875 + 875 + 875 + 875
NOT ok     3300 + 50 + 50 + 50 + 50

Really, none of this should be a surprise on game day either, as the first time someone purchases 5 sets of the same BA or 5 Foot Rifle Platoons on their Roster then you can ask them what is the point/purpose of said purchase.

We can still have a situation where submitting Rosters ahead of time on the website can/should happen & people can see ahead of time what you are bringing call BS on a force that is a TSM Atlas & 5 Ferrets.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #96 on: 12 March 2018, 01:01:41 »
Campaign Game
Scenario: Danger Close
Executive Summary: Having pushed back the defenders of Cavanaugh II, your mercenary forces have dispatched a strike force to deal with the artillery that's been annoying you for the past few weeks. If you're lucky, they'll also be able to interfere with the defenders' command and control.

Scenario Basics:
BV limit: 2500/None (2500 only applies for forces not submitted at least 48 hours before the game)
Unit max: 2, plus any carried infantry. Minimum speed 4/6 (except for carried units).
Victory Condition 1 - Destroy artillery (100 SP): Destroy 2/3 of artillery units. Cripples count for half.
Victory Condition 2 - Destroy or capture HQ building (100 SP): Destroy the building, or have friendly infantry (and no enemy infantry) inside the building.
Victory Condition 3 - Destroy or capture Supply Warehouse (100 SP): Destroy the building, or have friendly infantry (and no enemy infantry) inside the building.
Victory Condition 4 - Destroy or capture Repair Vehicle (100 SP): Destroy the vehicle, or have friendly non-Battlearmor infantry in the repair vehicle's hex for two turns.
Salvage: Only what you can carry with hand actuators, or in cargo vehicles that are part of your force.

Next Mission:
Success on one or both tables: Flanking attack, Recon raid.
Failure on both tables: Fighting Withdrawal.

Intel: These are rear-echelon troops, but that doesn't mean they don't know how to fight... or bore-sight an artillery tube.

Force Composition: See the campaign rules: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19OwgNoldoGaAGuujXkLKuiRNB88Vc6j2SWOeKnsTuCE/edit?usp=sharing

Force Composition, Short Version: Create a mercenary force according to the rules (or ask the GM for one). Pick two units from that force to bring to the battle. (If you submit these to the GM by Thursday there is no BV limit. After that, max 2500 BV.)

Terrain: The battle will be played on a 4'x6' table (2" hexes) with some hills and forests, and the defenders' installation occupying much of one half of the map. Setup will have the players moving onto one short edge, with the defenders in and near their installation on the opposite half of the map. If turnout is high we will split players evenly between two tables.

(This scenario based on an idea from Hellraiser, BTW.)

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #97 on: 18 March 2018, 21:53:15 »
Hey All, 

FYI, 

If Joel is following my OPFOR suggestions you can count on multiple Infantry, Vehicles, & Buildings with Turrets in the area, but a lesser # of mechs since its rear area.

Also see the Salvage note about using hands & cargo space rules.

The optimal force has Hands, Cargo, & Infantry in it & the ability to kill Infantry/Tanks/Buildings.

So get creative with your roster selections  :thumbsup:

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #98 on: 25 March 2018, 13:11:49 »
Thanks Joel for hosting a fun game yesterday.

We decided to have the Artillery only get a single crewman to drive if needed & skip the artillery rules & added an extra tank to make up for that BV as it would be too difficult to get Infantry/Hovers into a base guarded by Artillery in the short time span we have to play.

Quick Review of Table East.

Players entered from the north.

Thunder - Custom
Black Hawk KU - Customized Pods
Shadowhawk - (6/9/4 w/ HPPC)
Maxim-I
Standard IS BA - 4 Flamers
Marauder BA - 6
Fa Shi - 6 PR
Grenadier - 4 Magshots, Firedrakes, & SRM5
Heavy Infantry Platoon

Firebase is set up on the South in a diamond shape (Turret up front, artillery park west, repair yard east, HQ in the middle, & supply depot in the back)

Lancelot-03
Trebuchet-6C
Partisan-LRM
Vonluckner-75N
Patton-Ultra
2 Heavy Tracked APC
6 Foot-Laser Platoons
Heavy Firebase Turret (Clan Invasion Era)
Command Post (All Eras)

All 3 mechs came up the east side with the Maxim coming up the middle in cover.

Treb & VonLuck held the east flank with Partisan on the West,  Patton, Lancelot, & APCs in the middle.

The middle forces moved out in front while the Partisan moved to the middle, the Maxim reversed & headed back NW to try to circle back & then make an end run up the west edge.

The Vonluckner took a early game crit to the crew & left it with a messy cabin & pristine salvage. 

My GM Forces started taking damage to the Patton & Lancelot as well.

Eventually the Patton was immobilized & pillboxed for a turn before the crew abandoned ship after 1 side was almost breached.  1 APC & the Partisan took motives of -1MP.

The Thunder got deep into the base behind the supply depot & blew it up over 2 turns.
The Black Hawk & Shadow Hawk got to the Repair Yard & killed the Savior parked there.
The Maxim got the Artillery Park & started dropping off infantry when the Partisan hammered it with LRMs to immobilize it .
The troops kept bailing out the next turn but the Partisan finished it off w/ 1 unit still inside & killed off a BA suit as well.
The BA had just about killed the 1st Artillery vehicle when the game ended.

Had the game continued I have little doubt that both Arti would have died.
I also think after seeing the Thunder & Blackhawk that they might have gone down too as both had massive armor damage.

SP Rewards
2 of 4 goals = 200 SP
Salvage 563 SP for Vonluckner split for 4 players = 141 SP each.
Total 341 SP Each

I heard Table West got achieved the same 2 goals but lost their Goliath to ammo explosion & didn't have the actuators needed to haul off salvage.

In hindsight, This was one of those games where the players have to do things counter to our natural desires  (Kill enemy & preserve our own forces)

The deployment of lots on 1 flank was solid & avoiding the middle neutralized that big turret.
The only change I could see to improve it might have been swap the Thunder & Maxim locations.
The Thunder solo on the West might have had he Firepower/Speed to kill the Partisan & the 2 Artillery w/o worrying about capturing anything.
Meanwhile grouping all the infantry together & dropping them on the Vonluckner, Repair Yard, & HQ in that order before turning & blowing up the supply depot could have netted 4/4.

But, as I mentioned above, that would mean full out sprint/run every turn & not walking or backing up to paste the Lancelot/Treb when I offered up a back shots, its counter to how we naturally think which is "KILLS IT" for most of our missions.

I really like the forces arrayed for this fight on both sides, lots of tanks instead of mechs for the defenders & plenty of infantry mounted on fast mechs/vees for the attackers.
It was very combined arms v/s our typical 2 mechs slug fests.