Author Topic: Coming Soon to MegaMek  (Read 276007 times)

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
Re: Coming Soon to MegaMek
« Reply #720 on: 17 December 2021, 17:25:42 »
Did the artist who drew the saxarba tileset have these in separate PNG files originally, then combine them into a single "atlas" file? If so, could you point me to where these are stored?
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #721 on: 17 December 2021, 21:23:58 »
Did the artist who drew the saxarba tileset have these in separate PNG files originally, then combine them into a single "atlas" file? If so, could you point me to where these are stored?
Yes, and in the MegaMek repository linked below
MegaMek Developer - MekHQ, Personnel, and Internal Focus
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #722 on: 18 December 2021, 02:27:48 »
This looks AMAZING!

Vengeant

• Recruit
« Reply #723 on: 18 December 2021, 13:06:05 »
Story Arcs?  Fantastic!  I have been doing something like this manually for my campaigners for years... this sounds like a great tool.
Check out my Battletech history video series on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow6RkKrCd2I&list=PLz6Vc2hNra8nni7pI2bDp41cEAwg3jsZr

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #724 on: 18 December 2021, 15:50:42 »
I´m looking forward to this one.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #725 on: 18 December 2021, 19:01:05 »
This will make it even easier porting the MechWarrior game campaigns into MegaMek!
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #726 on: 18 December 2021, 19:44:59 »
Also Windchild has a big announcement and a special sneak peak

From our Discord
First, I'm announcing a huge new feature tomorrow live on @Casual Joker's stream at 20:15 EST 18-Dec-2021 for my two year suite contribution anniversary, which can be seen at https://www.twitch.tv/casual_joker.
          - Windchild

Couple of things this feature is amazing! If you've never seen Casual Joker's stream it is NSFW.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #727 on: 18 December 2021, 21:20:56 »
Two years ago today I opened up my first PR for MekHQ. It has been a great two years working on the project, and in celebration of the two years I'm announcing the core of my largest project to date.

New Campaign Project Wave Two: Company Generator
Wave Two of the new campaign project is a company generator that takes a campaign (ideally blank, although that's not required) and creates a full company with the forces, personnel, units, and parts already generated/assigned. Further, this setup is fully integrated with MekHQ Options, Campaign Presets, and the UserData folder.

Second, there are a few notes I need to make before the pictures:
1) This is still very much in development, with Finances largely unimplemented, while personnel sorting, dependants, and simulations (marriage / procreation) will all have their options added/expanded.
2) The personnel randomization options will be replaced with the expanded options once the Random Origin Options Rework is merged.
3) Contract options will be implemented as part of the Company Generator GUI, which is currently Wave 5.
4) Surprises are currently planned for Wave 7, which is to be the final additions and cleanup.

Third, the visuals. The following is the entire suite of options that are currently part of this wave (outside of missing ones mentioned above and the ones marked unimplemented, which are planned for future waves as stated above).

The TO&E tab showcases automatically created, named, and iconed forces with automatically assigned personnel. It also showcases the known bug, namely force icon backgrounds not generating properly (Clan Snow Raven background being my chosen override, and no fix possible until the open Force Icon Rework PR is reviewed and merged).

The Personnel tab showcases the founding personnel and their families, which were pre-generated by simulating previous years for the personnel (more options will be a part of this, but the Marriage Module PR hasn't been merged yet).

The Hangar tab showing units with their pilots and techs automatically assigned.

A pre-filled Warehouse, using my part generation method. This means it contains 1 part per 3 in the input units, rounded normally. This means you get a single part if you have 2-4 parts, and another part for each 3 part interval above that (ammo and armour are generated separately, with their own options).

Finally, I welcome comments and / or ideas about this, as I'm currently planning on finishing Finances and expanding the options while I wait for the four PRs this requires to be merged.
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #728 on: 18 December 2021, 22:06:26 »
Oh my...

The only thing that is coming to mind right away is that I tend to choose who leads a unit by their Tactics skill, not Gunnery/Piloting.  How difficult would it be to incorporate that as a criteria for who leads a unit instead?

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #729 on: 18 December 2021, 22:24:23 »
Oh my...

The only thing that is coming to mind right away is that I tend to choose who leads a unit by their Tactics skill, not Gunnery/Piloting. How difficult would it be to incorporate that as a criteria for who leads a unit instead?

This is a region that needs work, as personnel sorting is very much a WIP.

Currently it automatically sorts by tactical genius. With the current option Assign Best Officers, it then sorts by the sum of officer skills (Tactics, Leadership, Strategy), and finally the Pilot experience level.
« Last Edit: 18 December 2021, 23:05:08 by Windchild »
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #730 on: 18 December 2021, 22:28:18 »
I would also introduce some clan type options, like Omni only or Frontline. Sounds awesome otherwise
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

johnboyjjb

• Sergeant
« Reply #731 on: 18 December 2021, 22:45:55 »
It would be handy if this "autopop" of TO&E could be used to refill damaged lances from inventory of existing personnel and existing units. Though that seems like it may vaguely be supported in the initial post. AND it seems like a really big ask if it isn't currently supported.

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #732 on: 18 December 2021, 23:00:03 »
I would also introduce some clan type options, like Omni only or Frontline. Sounds awesome otherwise
The core design and base rules (AtB ruleset in docs/AtB Stuff) are focused on BattleMech Mercenary Company, with clan setups somewhat handled as an afterthought. I've added a TODO for constant Quality and Weight Class generators, plus a note to investigate Omni only generation. The first two will be added, Omni-only generation is unlikely to be added as I am only interfacing with the core generation methods and have no desire to rewrite them for this.

It would be handy if this "autopop" of TO&E could be used to refill damaged lances from inventory of existing personnel and existing units. Though that seems like it may vaguely be supported in the initial post. AND it seems like a really big ask if it isn't currently supported.
Completely unrelated, and a huge project at that. It's an open and known request, but one that will require hundreds of hours to handle at best.
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #733 on: 19 December 2021, 01:46:46 »
Wow. It would be very handy for start the campaign. Also for RPG sessions, for you may need some opposing mercenary/faction company to against.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #734 on: 19 December 2021, 19:09:03 »
That's exciting news!  It'll be a lot easier to build out my Toumans now :)
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #735 on: 19 December 2021, 22:23:21 »
Does it have an option for full up tech teams as outlined in StratOps/CampOps (1 Tech and 6 AsTechs per 'mech/ASF/vehicle), or at least enough assigned infantry to cover the AsTech requirements?

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #736 on: 20 December 2021, 00:37:36 »
Does it have an option for full up tech teams as outlined in StratOps/CampOps (1 Tech and 6 AsTechs per 'mech/ASF/vehicle), or at least enough assigned infantry to cover the AsTech requirements?

It does. This will add techs based on the support generation options, with either pooled or personnel support based on other options.
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #737 on: 20 December 2021, 09:52:49 »
Cool, thanks!  :thumbsup:

Styker

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #738 on: 21 December 2021, 21:50:10 »
Some really exciting things to look forward to!

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #739 on: 28 December 2021, 15:17:28 »
Coming soon to MegaMekLab

Improvements to the Equipment tab

Ever want to build a mech and have the equipment tab next to the assign critical tab.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #740 on: 28 December 2021, 15:57:05 »
Loving these UI improvements. They truly make the game look so much more professional. It's come a long way since the days of the blueprint pop-up window.

Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #741 on: 28 December 2021, 17:00:09 »
Any UI improvements borrowing from SSW are a win in my book!  :thumbsup:

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #742 on: 29 December 2021, 05:31:44 »
Any chance for omni-pod weapons and equipment to be slightly off-shade from the fixed versions, so it's easier to tell which is which?
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #743 on: 29 December 2021, 11:54:22 »
Could all of that pop out? Unless you've got a super wide screen monitor that looks like it's going to really be crunching the actual game board.

Everyone's setup is different and not everyone has a massive curved monitor with 32:9 aspect ratio.

No please.  The chat being a pop up bubble instead of a fixed box as it was originally is annoying enough.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #744 on: 29 December 2021, 14:05:38 »
Any chance for omni-pod weapons and equipment to be slightly off-shade from the fixed versions, so it's easier to tell which is which?
Nothing planned at this time. The improvements to the mech display are a huge help to see the (pod) or (fixed) designation. Plus fixed being italicized makes them stand out.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #745 on: 30 December 2021, 06:03:14 »
Any chance for the weapon type buttons to have the same color as the new colors in the crits?
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #746 on: 30 December 2021, 12:51:25 »
No please.  The chat being a pop up bubble instead of a fixed box as it was originally is annoying enough.

Some of us have small screens, though, or multi-screen with the 'battle' on one screen and the info windows on others, so the option to have pop-outs is handy for some users.
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #747 on: 30 December 2021, 13:26:44 »
Some of us have small screens, though, or multi-screen with the 'battle' on one screen and the info windows on others, so the option to have pop-outs is handy for some users.
"Some," yes. But that chatbox has annoyed me for years. It'd be awesome to be able to permanently switch to the old style "chat bar" at the bottom.

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #748 on: 30 December 2021, 13:40:36 »
Yeah, the chat box was not huge and allowed at most . . . what 4-6 lines of text, then you had to scroll up?

I have hated that pop up box since it was instituted since you could miss a message from your opponent, or more annoying try to do something in that corner and hit that pop up to cover that corner until it went away.  Most changes I have not cared much, but that has been a constant annoyance.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #749 on: 30 December 2021, 13:54:55 »
Yeah, the chat box was not huge and allowed at most . . . what 4-6 lines of text, then you had to scroll up?

I have hated that pop up box since it was instituted since you could miss a message from your opponent, or more annoying try to do something in that corner and hit that pop up to cover that corner until it went away.  Most changes I have not cared much, but that has been a constant annoyance.
Typing a message and finding out the prompt wasn't selected is especially fun.  :thumbsup:

All kidding aside, we're still griping about a chat box 10 years after-the-fact. Some features can/should be rolled back if they're not well-liked, IMO.