Author Topic: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!  (Read 166170 times)

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
Re: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!
« Reply #1350 on: 06 May 2018, 11:34:47 »
Sunrise reversed course & stated that Ep 6 is the last episode of Gundam The Origin, & I suspect it has everything to do with Yoshikazu Yasuhiko wanting to retire at 71.

On the other hand, Tomino is working hard at a G-Reco movie adaptation!  ;D Some creators retire, others just get crankier!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1351 on: 07 May 2018, 06:52:33 »
Sunrise reversed course & stated that Ep 6 is the last episode of Gundam The Origin, & I suspect it has everything to do with Yoshikazu Yasuhiko wanting to retire at 71.
Yoshikazu Yasuhiko retiring?  That's too bad Sunrise is waaaaay to dependent on these skilled veterans and not wanting to trust people who they've been mentoring if they have.   Their just shooting their own foot for not having program of some kind. That was their tradition in the business.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #1352 on: 07 May 2018, 11:28:16 »
Given Crunchy's penant for not translating title cards within the anime and advertising similarly with original japanese promo cards i tend to ignore their titles.
As a note, the English titles of a show are usually set by the Japanese owners, not Crunchy. Crunchy (And the other streamers) dont usually have a choice in what they call it.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1353 on: 07 May 2018, 11:47:28 »
As a note, the English titles of a show are usually set by the Japanese owners, not Crunchy.
That gripe was more about CR not "subtitling" titles within an anime quite often, i.e. when during the opening the title splash screen pops up it's in the original japanese without any hint at the English title. Wouldn't even be anything hard or complicated to do, they just blatantly omit it.

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #1354 on: 08 May 2018, 18:17:50 »
I've started watching a classic from the 80's recently. I'll give you a hint as to what it is.

Omae wa mou...shindeiru.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1355 on: 08 May 2018, 18:20:36 »
So are you going through the TOS, the follow-up films or 2199/2202?

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1356 on: 08 May 2018, 19:43:09 »
Almost done with my second viewing of the 2199 series. Haven't seen the 2202 version yet.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1357 on: 08 May 2018, 20:24:45 »
Almost done with my second viewing of the 2199 series. Haven't seen the 2202 version yet.

Well if this article is accurate, the Dub of Yamato 2202 starts streaming through FUNi tomorrow.
Of what I've seen of 2202 so far is interesting. I think the Dub should be worth it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1358 on: 08 May 2018, 21:55:09 »
On the list i notice Space Battleship Tiramisù, i think i remembered this being on list of new anime.

I didn't remember it was only seven minutes long per episode, its "funny" but weird. Almost Nadesco like but it reminds me slightly of Space Dandy...
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1359 on: 09 May 2018, 00:51:22 »
I was just thinking about supernatural martial arts animes and realized one of the things that really annoys me about them: the way characters stand around talking about their special techniques (something I presume originated in manga where the characters typically couldn't actually show the abilities nearly as well as in a fully-animated sequence).

Are there any supernatural martial arts animes where the protagoinist specializes in just hitting his opponents while they're busy yapping, the way Revy does in this scene from Black Lagoon (warning, NSFW language).
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #1360 on: 09 May 2018, 02:09:59 »
One Punch Man.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1361 on: 09 May 2018, 07:12:00 »
One Punch Man.
He even parodied shouting out special moves.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1362 on: 09 May 2018, 10:16:12 »
One Punch Man.

In retrospect, that should have been obvious.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1363 on: 09 May 2018, 11:17:17 »
Are there any supernatural martial arts animes where the protagoinist specializes in just hitting his opponents while they're busy yapping
Berserk

[edit]
And in all fairness, it's a thing in some comics too. I have seen it in X-Men.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1364 on: 09 May 2018, 11:37:09 »
Yeah, it's called Talk To The Fist and shows up in a lot of media.  I was just wondering if there were any Supernatural Martial Arts animes where it was common, since it's practically required for combatants in that genre to stand around talking about how their powers work in the middle of the fight instead of, you know, actually fighting.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1365 on: 09 May 2018, 12:35:58 »
Yeah, it's called Talk To The Fist and shows up in a lot of media.  I was just wondering if there were any Supernatural Martial Arts animes where it was common, since it's practically required for combatants in that genre to stand around talking about how their powers work in the middle of the fight instead of, you know, actually fighting.
you mean...the classic villain monologue?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1366 on: 10 May 2018, 06:45:16 »

Found 2202!

Its on Crunchyroll filed under "Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199".
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1367 on: 11 May 2018, 16:01:06 »
Hmm, 6 episodes into LOGH and it looks very much like the original in plot.

Not a bad thing, mind you.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1368 on: 12 May 2018, 12:54:04 »
Hmm, 6 episodes into LOGH and it looks very much like the original in plot.

Not a bad thing, mind you.
So what's the catch?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #1369 on: 12 May 2018, 20:34:31 »
Just watched the latest (ep. 4.5) FMP!IV episode.  What a total waste of time.  We didn't need a recap after only four episodes of a weekly series.   :ticked:
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1370 on: 12 May 2018, 21:53:22 »
SAO Alternative GGO just dropped one (5.5). Beatless has had two recaps err... intermissions during it's run. At least with Beatless, I wouldn't expect them in the physical release. The intermissions haven't counted in the actual episode numbers.
Also Darling in the FranXX and Toji no Miko have had .5 eps (FranXX after 15 and TnM after 12).

That's a good number of the shows I've been following.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1371 on: 12 May 2018, 21:57:50 »
Is there something that's been causing delays in the studios?

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1372 on: 12 May 2018, 23:07:06 »
Is there something that's been causing delays in the studios?

SAO Alternative is Studio 3Hz, which is a very small studio. I'm not surprised they decided they needed a breather. Not sure why Xebec needed a break on FMP, though, but it's been over a decade, I think I can wait another week for quality.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1373 on: 13 May 2018, 01:18:34 »
Week before last was Golden Week in Japan, hence the "needed breather".

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1374 on: 13 May 2018, 10:18:41 »

Oh, geez. I can't believe I forgot that.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #1375 on: 13 May 2018, 10:36:31 »
SAO Alternative GGO just dropped one (5.5). Beatless has had two recaps err... intermissions during it's run. At least with Beatless, I wouldn't expect them in the physical release. The intermissions haven't counted in the actual episode numbers.
Also Darling in the FranXX and Toji no Miko have had .5 eps (FranXX after 15 and TnM after 12).

That's a good number of the shows I've been following.
I know recap episodes are nothing new in anime, I'm just balking at the idea of doing one after only four episodes of a weekly anime.  Honestly, I'd rather they just skip a week than waste my time like that.  YMMV. 
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1376 on: 13 May 2018, 11:21:33 »

What's Golden Week?

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1377 on: 13 May 2018, 11:27:50 »
What's Golden Week?
It's similar to Spring Break. Just less bawdy.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1378 on: 13 May 2018, 11:58:16 »
It's similar to Spring Break. Just less bawdy.

And it's basically the entire country if I understand correctly.  Supposed to be the worst possible time of the year to travel to japan since almost everything is closed.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1379 on: 13 May 2018, 12:11:36 »
It's three public holidays in a row, most people therefore take the entire week off and some companies also close for the workdays during that week. Schools only close for the three national holidays, overall it's more a vacation thing for working adults.

Register