Author Topic: Naval Pictures Forecastle: Laying siege to the poop deck!  (Read 254378 times)

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
Re: Naval Pictures Forecastle: Laying siege to the poop deck!
« Reply #810 on: 13 November 2017, 18:44:21 »
It was funny once...

Agree with you there. Next think you know people will be naming their tank Tanky McTankFace . . .  >:D

IMAG0326 by f15cflyer79, on Flickr

From B1Bflyer's diorama http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=58939.0
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #811 on: 13 November 2017, 18:59:41 »
Nah, the inevitable result will be someone naming their face Facy McFaceFace.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #812 on: 13 November 2017, 19:01:22 »
Its so surprising to me that Dragon been able retain that ship tattoo.  I figured the boring bean counters or rules lawyers would make them conform to regulations.
it's the Welsh flag's dragon. you don't want to anger the Welsh, do you? bad enough they got left out of the Union jack.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #813 on: 13 November 2017, 19:40:34 »
*snip*
This is, I should add, all of the US flattops in service right now.  That's a huge concentration of capability.
I suppose it depends on what you mean by "in service".  USNI's article last week was talking about seven carriers being underway at the same time for the first time in years...

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #814 on: 13 November 2017, 19:58:19 »
I suppose it depends on what you mean by "in service".  USNI's article last week was talking about seven carriers being underway at the same time for the first time in years...
Generally, 1/3 is on active station/mission, 1/3 in ports for downtime/turnover, and 1/3 in yards.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #815 on: 13 November 2017, 20:03:47 »
Underway is about as far from "downtime" as I can imagine...

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #816 on: 13 November 2017, 20:42:53 »
Underway is about as far from "downtime" as I can imagine...
Ain't that the truth.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #817 on: 13 November 2017, 20:48:51 »
And hey, happy belated birthday brother!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #818 on: 13 November 2017, 20:55:58 »
When you have 10 carriers in active. 3 floating together, I thought 4 were active at all times?
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Daryk

• Lieutenant General

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #820 on: 13 November 2017, 21:15:47 »
When you have 10 carriers in active. 3 floating together, I thought 4 were active at all times?
I believe you're confusing "active" or "in service" with "deployed".  There are typically three deployed at all times although that has dropped to two on occasion if I recall.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #821 on: 14 November 2017, 01:36:15 »
https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/where.htm

Reagan, Nimitz, and Roosevelt are all under active deployment, currently near Korean waters.  Reagan will probably transition to a downtime cycle, she's been active and patrolling off and on for close to four years.  Nimitz and Roosevelt seem fairly fresh by the look of their workups, should stick around a while.

Stennis and Truman are doing pre-deployment training and crew certifications, and without stepping into rule 4 territory I'm just going to say that recent news means they're going to spend a VERY serious time doing it.  Unknown at this time how long that will take, probably not too much longer since that's been going several months already.  With Reagan likely to cycle out of availability, one or both may take her place soon.

Vinson and Bush just finished their major patrols and homeported last month, there'll be some maintenance cycles and some crew shuffling as well as training in the near future.  Not sure how much longer they'll be out before they go into major maintenance cycles, at least the last 3 1/2 years shows sustained major operations and nothing significant for overhaul.

Meanwhile Eisenhower is in maintenance and workup states, will return to the fleet in March for training and preparation.  Lincoln just had her four year overhaul and refuel and is being restored into service, while Washington's just started its four year and won't be back until 2021 sometime, and Ford should deploy then after fitting out, training, testing, and significant workups.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #822 on: 14 November 2017, 08:47:36 »
I think we should monitor the situation and look on pictures instead! When people weren't adding jokes for names of ships.

I give you HMS Raglan, British Monitor.  The HMS Raglan fought in the First World War. Her main 14inch twin barrel guns were intended for the Greek Battleship Salamis, which due to the German blockade ended up not being built.  The ship was intended as bombardment ship, but during the war it got into a real naval battle, and resulted in the ship being sunk with 127 lives lost in the Third Battle of Gaza.

Interesting enough, the ship was originally to been named the Robert E Lee, after the CSA general. However the neutrality of the United States during the early stages of the war lead to number renaming of the ship.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #823 on: 14 November 2017, 09:06:07 »
USS Oscar Austin. I just only noticed that the Phalanx mount is seated behind what looks like a 1-meter embrasure (for lack of better word) of sorts on three sides, with an open side only on the forrard facing. Looks a tad odd.

larger size link here: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4515/38259948692_d638ea3139_o.jpg

It was barely funny once...
edited.
« Last Edit: 14 November 2017, 09:09:30 by Kidd »

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #824 on: 14 November 2017, 10:44:21 »
The perspective may be playing tricks on me here, but it looks like if one were to mount the Phalanx flush with the deck, the radome would be sticking up far enough to obstruct the view from some of the bridge windows. I would guess that is why it isn't higher. Now, why is there the raised deck area around it? Probably matches up better with the position of the decks inside the ship. That's my guess.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #825 on: 14 November 2017, 11:34:44 »
USS Oscar Austin. I just only noticed that the Phalanx mount is seated behind what looks like a 1-meter embrasure (for lack of better word) of sorts on three sides, with an open side only on the forrard facing. Looks a tad odd.

larger size link here: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4515/38259948692_d638ea3139_o.jpg

pic snip

edited.

The perspective may be playing tricks on me here, but it looks like if one were to mount the Phalanx flush with the deck, the radome would be sticking up far enough to obstruct the view from some of the bridge windows. I would guess that is why it isn't higher. Now, why is there the raised deck area around it? Probably matches up better with the position of the decks inside the ship. That's my guess.

Looking at the higher res picture, I don't think there is a significant lip as there are quite deep shadows as the sun is quite far on the port side and there is little or no shadow from the apparent rim of the part around the CIWS so the radar and gun are all able to "see" over it

Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #826 on: 16 November 2017, 05:09:45 »
Looking at the higher res picture, I don't think there is a significant lip as there are quite deep shadows as the sun is quite far on the port side and there is little or no shadow from the apparent rim of the part around the CIWS so the radar and gun are all able to "see" over it

The Burkes FWD CIWS can indeed fire in a wide arc centred on right ahead. :-)

Here are the grand old dames of the RAN, in their prime:

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #827 on: 16 November 2017, 05:14:33 »
Where's HMAS Melbourne?
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #828 on: 16 November 2017, 06:58:49 »
She properly on a beer run.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #829 on: 16 November 2017, 07:14:49 »
Where's HMAS Melbourne?

Accounts vary, but I believe she was off responding to a distress call. I was on the one at the far end, mighty Adelaide. :-)

I was an AB at the time, and didn't care about much except doing my watches, and the next port visit.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #830 on: 16 November 2017, 13:00:33 »
A Dutch Minehunters team has discovered the wreck of a old Imperial German Submarine, the UC-69.

The ship was lost during a mission laying mines.  A another submarine, U-96 accidently collided with it.

Picture of couple UC II-Class Minelaying Subs.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #831 on: 16 November 2017, 22:51:34 »
Here are the grand old dames of the RAN, in their prime:

That is a great photo. I have never seen that one before.

I like VLS and other upgrades they have done to keep them going until the AWDs arrive.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #832 on: 17 November 2017, 03:54:51 »
That is a great photo. I have never seen that one before.

I like VLS and other upgrades they have done to keep them going until the AWDs arrive.

They were great ships to serve on, every navy that has them has really loved them. Not the most heavily armed, not the most economical, but big enough to get the job done, small enough to go just about anywhere, responsive enough to be tasked with just about anything, it will be a sad day when HMAS Newcastle decommissions. End of an era, same as with the DEs and DDGs. Few Australian ships have done as much as the humble Adelaide class FFG.

As the USN put it, they are the "Little ships that could".

Now, another one from archives, the RN Battleship HMS Queen Elizabeth

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #833 on: 20 November 2017, 16:11:19 »
Look at the stillness of the water here! That's almost mirror-quality stuff.

HMS Coventry in Hong Kong harbor, 1980.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #834 on: 20 November 2017, 17:51:46 »
Handsome ship, and a very nice picture.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #835 on: 20 November 2017, 21:47:18 »
nice find, JadeHellbringer!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #836 on: 21 November 2017, 05:03:52 »
That is a great photo of the visitor.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #837 on: 21 November 2017, 05:46:32 »
The last time warships were recognisably warships, and not pyramids with a knob on the end ::)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #838 on: 21 November 2017, 07:44:02 »
Or ships with two pyramids
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #839 on: 21 November 2017, 07:57:12 »
Just a temple