Author Topic: (Answered) Level / Elevation Change in Standard vs Advanced Alpha Strike?  (Read 1944 times)

Vorpalstar

• Private
I have a question regarding Level / elevation change in the Standard vs Advance Alpha Strike Rules. I am using the 2015 Second Printing, hardback rule book.

In the standard Alpha Strike rules, page 28 Level Change, the rules state in part; "Changing levels cost 2 extra inches of movement per inch of elevation changed."

This is clearly reflected on the Movement Cost Table on page 30 and page 168. The table reads in part as follows...

Level Changes (up or down)
Per 1" elevation      +2"(Mechs, ProtoMechs)
Per 1" elevation      +2"(VTOLs in Air)
Per 1" depth           +2"(Submarines in Water)
Per 1" elevation      +4"(Infantry, Ground Vehicles)

In Advanced Alpha Strike no specific rule is given for Level Change, other than the rules for climbing.
Am I correct that the Standard Level Change rules still apply in advanced play?

I ask because the Level Change data giving on the Advanced Terrain Movement Cost Table on page 68 and page 171 differs from the above standard Movement Cost Table. It reads in part as follows...

Level Changes (up or down)
Per 1" elevation      +1"(Mechs, ProtoMechs)
Per 1" elevation      +1"(VTOLs in Air)
Per 1" depth           +1"(Submarines in Water)
Per 1" elevation      +2"(Infantry, Ground Vehicles)

The Advanced Terrain Movement Cost Table cuts the 'Move Cost per Inch' in half.

Which movement cost per elevation is correct? Am I misreading something?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: 27 August 2017, 19:04:11 by Moonsword »

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Level / Elevation Change in Standard vs Advanced Alpha Strike?
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2017, 21:18:27 »
Hello,

You're not misreading it, but the Advanced Movement Tables on Page 68 and 171 are incorrect.  The Movement Cost Table on pages 30 and 168 is correct, and should be used at all levels of Alpha Strike play.

This was likely something missed in errata when the book was reprinted.

Thank you,
Scotty
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Vorpalstar

• Private
I was thinking that might be the case. Thanks for clarifying the answer!