Author Topic: "Legacy"  (Read 1083 times)

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
"Legacy"
« on: 03 September 2017, 22:42:19 »
So I bought this compilation at GenCon this year and finished it up earlier.

IT was awesome.  A great blending of the "old school" universe with the new feel (post Jihad).  Definitely one I'd recommend.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Fat Guy

• Captain
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
Re: "Legacy"
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2017, 23:28:11 »
It was OK.

Quality was everywhere from awesome to awful. I thought it was going to tell how it got from point A to point B to point C, but all we ever got was this is where it is now - deal with it. I also thought we'd see a steady progression of upgrades through the canon variants, but it was mostly old school introtech 5H - once upgraded to a custom configuration, but then rebuilt to 5H standard until the end where it again got custom mods.
« Last Edit: 04 September 2017, 12:12:28 by Fat Guy »
"That's too much bacon."  - Said no one EVER!

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2017, 19:56:10 »

IT was awesome.  A great blending of the "old school" universe with the new feel (post Jihad).  Definitely one I'd recommend.

:D  That warms the cockles of my heart.

It was OK.

Quality was everywhere from awesome to awful. I thought it was going to tell how it got from point A to point B to point C, but all we ever got was this is where it is now - deal with it. I also thought we'd see a steady progression of upgrades through the canon variants, but it was mostly old school introtech 5H - once upgraded to a custom configuration, but then rebuilt to 5H standard until the end where it again got custom mods.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. I know we all worked very hard on this.

Sadly, to cover the entire three hundred year history of the focus Grasshopper would have required a much, much larger volume than this. My feeling (and it is mine, I won't speak for anyone else) was that by leaving gaps between many of the stories, we as writers were still allowed the freedom to tell the story we wanted, how we wanted.

BattleCorps Author: Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken, Legacy Anthology 'The Forgotten Places'

Nav_Alpha

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2017, 05:24:04 »
No chance this has been released electronically?

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2017, 20:51:27 »
No chance this has been released electronically?

Not yet. I believe the plan is for 2018.

BattleCorps Author: Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken, Legacy Anthology 'The Forgotten Places'

KeVinK

• Freelance Writer
  • Recruit
  • Storyteller
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2017, 18:52:18 »

Thanks for the kind words. It was my first BT outing in a long time, something I really enjoyed working on, and it's good to hear someone liked it.
-- KeVin K.

"It's your dream; make it work." - Valerie K.
"Kevin is an incomplete ingrate." - Jason Hardy

KeVinK

• Freelance Writer
  • Recruit
  • Storyteller
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2017, 19:05:46 »
It was OK.

And that hack Killiany couldn't even get the thing built fer chrissakes.

Actually, what Jaim Magnus said: The canvas was deliberately broad so each of us could tell the story we found in the concept without crowding each other or having each of us lockstepped into whatever had gone before. This gives the 'Mech and the world around it room to grow and change. It also leaves space, and creates opportunities, for other writers to fill in the stories that still need to be told.
-- KeVin K.

"It's your dream; make it work." - Valerie K.
"Kevin is an incomplete ingrate." - Jason Hardy

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2017, 19:38:28 »
I await for it to be published in print so Print on Demand. Sounds interesting.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

BiggRigg42

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2017, 20:12:55 »
When is "legacy" coming out and how can I find info on it?

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2017, 22:43:57 »
I've heard that it'll be available in 2018. Press release follows.

Coming Soon: Legacy - A BattleTech Anthology!

"The seventy-ton GHR-5H Grasshopper can outmaneuver and outlast some of the most fearsome enemy ’Mechs, making it an invaluable asset to battlefield commanders. Even an incapacitated Grasshopper will be rebuilt to fight another day, with a new pilot at its controls, because MechWarriors can be replaced, but ’Mechs cannot.

In BattleTech: Legacy, thirteen all-new stories chronicle the fortunes and tragedies of a single ’Mech across several tumultuous points in its wide-ranging combat history. Veteran BattleTech authors Kevin Killiany and Craig A. Reed, Jr. bookend this exciting collection, while other familiar names and new blood explore important moments in this ’Mech’s history of constant, unmitigated warfare that leaves no corner of the Inner Sphere untouched."

Available in limited initial print release at GenCon, and in wide release soon after.

Cubby

• Communications
  • Lieutenant
  • Back in Black
« Reply #10 on: 26 September 2017, 16:57:54 »
It also leaves space, and creates opportunities, for other writers to fill in the stories that still need to be told.

For example, sending the thing all the way to the Clan Homeworlds if necessary...
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleMech Manual  l  Second Succession War  l  Campaign Operations   l  Combat Manual: Kurita  l  First Succession War  l  Combat Manual: Mercenaries  l Touring the Stars: Bone-Norman  l  Interstellar Operations  l  Technical Readout: 3145   l  BattleCorps Stories: Legacy Anthology: Earthbound  l  Permanent Losses  l  Save What You Can

Cubby

• Communications
  • Lieutenant
  • Back in Black
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2018, 11:01:45 »
I wanted to pop back in to say I finally got around to reading my copy and everyone else's stories, and I'm proud to have been a part of this book.

BattleMech Manual  l  Second Succession War  l  Campaign Operations   l  Combat Manual: Kurita  l  First Succession War  l  Combat Manual: Mercenaries  l Touring the Stars: Bone-Norman  l  Interstellar Operations  l  Technical Readout: 3145   l  BattleCorps Stories: Legacy Anthology: Earthbound  l  Permanent Losses  l  Save What You Can

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
« Reply #12 on: 12 January 2018, 12:35:08 »
I still need pick this up if i can get it Print on Demand.  I like having the physical book.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Cubby

• Communications
  • Lieutenant
  • Back in Black
« Reply #13 on: 12 January 2018, 13:07:58 »
I still need pick this up if i can get it Print on Demand.  I like having the physical book.

Last I heard, that was still in the plans for this year.