Author Topic: Prevalent Cultural characteristics in 3075?  (Read 6157 times)

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
Prevalent Cultural characteristics in 3075?
« on: 15 September 2017, 22:25:18 »
I'm looking to more thoroughly flesh out the NPC personnel of a mercenary company active during the 3070s, and wanted to get a general perspective on what people here feel are the most prevalent cultural characteristics of people from each of the Great Houses/Empires (and possibly the major periphery powers too).

As an example: House Kurita obviously has a kind of Samurai culture. But what else stands out about people from there? What readily marks an individual as coming from that nation/culture? What readily marks an individual as coming from each of the following?

01 - Capellan Confederation

02 - Draconis Combine

03 - Federated Commonwealth

04 - Free Worlds League

05 - Lyran Alliance

06 - Magistracy of Canopus

07 - Outworlds Alliance

08 - Taurian Concordat

09 - Periphery

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
  • Part-time builder of fallen empires
Re: Prevalent Cultural characteristics in 3075?
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2017, 14:23:46 »
By cultural characteristics, do you mean cultural influence (like a country) or their mindset (like independent minded)?
In turn they tested each Clan namesake
In trial against the ice hellion's mettle.
Each chased the ice hellion, hunting it down.
All faild to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said. "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance, Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1-5

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2017, 22:12:22 »
By cultural characteristics, do you mean cultural influence (like a country) or their mindset (like independent minded)?

Predominantly  cultural influence, but cultural mindsets are worth knowing too.

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
  • Part-time builder of fallen empires
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2017, 17:13:26 »
Predominantly  cultural influence, but cultural mindsets are worth knowing too.

You should look at the languages spoken in the different States, they give a rather good overview of the dominating cultural influence there.
In turn they tested each Clan namesake
In trial against the ice hellion's mettle.
Each chased the ice hellion, hunting it down.
All faild to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said. "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance, Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1-5

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2017, 20:01:25 »
I'm looking to more thoroughly flesh out the NPC personnel of a mercenary company active during the 3070s, and wanted to get a general perspective on what people here feel are the most prevalent cultural characteristics of people from each of the Great Houses/Empires (and possibly the major periphery powers too).

As an example: House Kurita obviously has a kind of Samurai culture. But what else stands out about people from there? What readily marks an individual as coming from that nation/culture? What readily marks an individual as coming from each of the following?

01 - Capellan Confederation

02 - Draconis Combine

03 - Federated Commonwealth

04 - Free Worlds League

05 - Lyran Alliance

06 - Magistracy of Canopus

07 - Outworlds Alliance

08 - Taurian Concordat

09 - Periphery

01 - Capellan Confederation --- ant state with quite obedient citizens. like older china... very much centralized. citizenship rights compareable to the world of starship troopers

03 - Federated Suns --- maybe its my prejudice, but i always compare them quite a lot to the usa. imperialistic, industry and wealth centered in few spots (systems in this case) and large regions without much development. those from the centers tend to be a bit arrogant with the "we are the best"-attitude (well... americans lol ) while those from the outback tend to be less educated, more hardworking but also thinking "at least i am ameri.... ehhhh fed sun citizen!" ;)

04 - Free Worlds League --- a conglomerate of independant states. bound together by common threats. but i never really looked close enough to distinguish those states

05 - Lyran Alliance --- bickering with each other, dislike of higher ups coupled with what we call "obrigkeitshörigkeit" in germany (obedient towards authorities) and proud of their strong industrial and mercantile leanings

06 - Magistracy of Canopus --- well known for their medical services and "pleasure circusses" (make of that what you wish  ;) ). a real matriarchy. men are underpriviliged towards women (not extreme, but still)

07 - Outword Alliance --- backwards realm with quite a strong dislike for the star league. because the old sl bombed them into their impoverished state. preferring aerospace units (read:fighters) over mechs

08 - Taurian Concordate --- similar to the outworld alliance. with a special feud towards the federated suns and not as peaceful as the outworld alliance. likes mechs, but has a strong infantry arm in the military

09 - Periphery --- scared of pirates (or pirates themselves), dont like the imperialistic inner sphere, many many different planetary cultures. a special mention to the marian hegemony which is basically space rome with a bit more vicious touch. founded by pirates, but now really like space rome.

these tend to be the generalistic catchalls of all those mentioned. but we are talking about a scifi setting where basically every culture from today is represented in every realm. oh.... and dont forget northwind (space scots with pipebags and skirts/kilts who have a great reputation as mercs) and the world of the azami (space muslims, having several autonom systems in kurita space).

i hope, this post helps and isnt too late ( 3 weeks + after the original question ;) )

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2017, 21:04:06 »
It’s a shame the FWL is not getting much love. I’d say the Jihad and later eras is where he FWL shines and finally get some personality... and it’s a rich and interesting one.

- Oriente: Greek and associates culture. Rich, high tech and focused on making money.
- Andurien: interesting of Italian heritage, CapCon Asian mix with a hint of the Canopus “look at us, we’re beautiful!” Outlook. Desperate to stay independent and they will fight you if you say otherwise!
- Regulas: Indian/Pakistan/Nepalese majority cultural group - but they also take in some interesting Scandinavian themed planets. Paranoid and bat crap crazy from 75 onwards - nuke first and ask questions later.
These guys are great and morally grey... but it all for the greater good.

- Tamarind: Rich Spanish culture from the half pirate Trinity Worlds combined with the stable influence of the Brett-Mariks. Desperate to stay free from the Lyrans.

- Marik-Stewart: Slavic mix. Sides with the Word and spends the post jihad trying to disavow all knowledge of it.
Stewart and surrounds are Scottish influenced.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2017, 01:56:31 »
Thanx !!!

Those are exactly the kind of assessments I'm looking for.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2017, 03:44:55 »
Misery I think...

This is a great question to ask of 3025...

But by 3075 everything is on fire.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith