Author Topic: Gun Geekery 3: Revenge of the Gun Geeks  (Read 189681 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Re: Gun Geekery 3: Revenge of the Gun Geeks
« Reply #1350 on: 25 November 2011, 12:05:27 »
this thread makes me realize how behind I am in my knowledge of the most modern guns. Can anyone recommend a good Tome'O Guns in the spirit of Ian V Hogg and Brassy's, which is not another incarnation of the endlessly recycled "guns of the special forces"?

It seems like it's been forever since i saw anything that wasn't intended for kids.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Taurevanime

• Captain
« Reply #1351 on: 25 November 2011, 14:44:59 »
Well if you have money to spare there is always Janes Infantry Weapons. Maybe you can find a not too old copy second hand for a decent price. Up to date copies though are out of the simple hobbyist price range.

Falchion

• Captain
« Reply #1352 on: 25 November 2011, 21:16:55 »
In terms of online options, there is always World Guns and IMFDB as major sources. Hell, I use IMFDB far too much for help during illustration.
The one, the only, the unnecessary Falchion!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1353 on: 26 November 2011, 02:31:11 »
Well if you have money to spare there is always Janes Infantry Weapons. Maybe you can find a not too old copy second hand for a decent price. Up to date copies though are out of the simple hobbyist price range.
Amazon has the 2009/2010 edition for sale at $977 for one book. I'll think I'll pass.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

mathesont

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1354 on: 26 November 2011, 14:34:58 »
Jane's Infantry Weapons hasn't been worth the money in more then a decade, terrible editing and glaring omissions have ruined the books.

Getting a copy of the 2012 Guns Digest will bring you up to speed on the world of civilian guns.

For military firearms the internet is the way to go.  Worldguns.ru, manufacturers websites and some of the blogs like firearmsblog.com will get you rolling. 

Falchion

• Captain
« Reply #1355 on: 27 November 2011, 00:38:32 »
And on a sillier note: How to do push-ups.

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
  • It could always be worse.
« Reply #1356 on: 27 November 2011, 14:40:37 »
I really like my copy of the Jane's Gun Recognition Guide, but it's not anywhere near as detailed as Jane's Infantry Weapons and I use world.guns.ru as a supplement.
"Peace through superior firepower."- Arsenal of Freedom, ST:TNG

Falchion

• Captain
« Reply #1357 on: 27 November 2011, 15:18:38 »
Well, about finished with the lines:

Any ideas/suggestions regarding what sidearm they would be carrying?

Taurevanime

• Captain
« Reply #1358 on: 27 November 2011, 15:32:05 »
There are so many posibillities for sidearms with so many that are good that it's hard to pick a bad one. But what I really want to talk about is your artwork. It is very good and the long time I have spent on these boards watching you post things, I have seen an improvement in quality in your artwork. Which is something I always like to see in artists. It's important to grow, no?

Anyway keep up the awesome Falchion.

Falchion

• Captain
« Reply #1359 on: 27 November 2011, 16:49:55 »
Do the SIG P226 X-Five and the regular P226 share magazines or do they require two completely different mags?

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #1360 on: 27 November 2011, 17:36:57 »
I don't see any reason why they shouldn't. Unless SIG did major rework of the grip.

EDIT: It appears that they are different as the X-Five has a 19-round mag, while the standard 226 has 10 or 15 round mag
« Last Edit: 27 November 2011, 17:40:21 by Stormcrow »
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOMâ„¢

mathesont

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1361 on: 27 November 2011, 21:06:05 »
Do the SIG P226 X-Five and the regular P226 share magazines or do they require two completely different mags?
The simple answer is that X-Fives can use normal P226 magazines and for the X-Five Tactical normal magazines are supplied with the gun.

The base X-Five and X-Five Competition feature a stainless steel slide that incorporates and extended magazine well.  This can make properly seating the standard 15-round magazine difficult and extended 20-round magazine can bind.  As a result Sig sells specifically designed 19- and 25-round magazines at inflated prices.

The X-Five Allround does not feature the extended magazine well and lists a 17-round magazine and frankly I cannot find anything on it.  Sig does not list it on their website and I just called a buddy of mine at the local gun store to find he has no listing for it in his computer.  Gun should be able to take normal magazines without issue. 

Falchion

• Captain
« Reply #1362 on: 27 November 2011, 22:02:28 »
Well, added a bit more:

I figure the pistol on Sadie's thigh is going to be a P226. Should Vassily's dissipator have a foregrip?

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #1363 on: 28 November 2011, 08:50:25 »
Jane's Infantry Weapons hasn't been worth the money in more then a decade, terrible editing and glaring omissions have ruined the books.

Getting a copy of the 2012 Guns Digest will bring you up to speed on the world of civilian guns.

For military firearms the internet is the way to go.  Worldguns.ru, manufacturers websites and some of the blogs like firearmsblog.com will get you rolling.

I keep watching ebay for some unknowing fool to put up a recent copy of janes for less than a $200. not that I haven't bought books in that range before, but they were like art works.

I do keep up with the digests, but they are light on things like weights and actual write-ups. Worldguns.ru is a resource I have watched come along slowly over the past few years, and i do find it useful, but IMFDB is just not into the deep info I need.

One thing I always found odd; Okay I have Hogg's Military Small arms of the 20th century, I think it's like the 2003 edition, or something. No shotguns. Seems odd to me. But then again this is also the book without an entry for the M4 Carbine and data for the Canadian C7 and C8 which was comically out dated.

I must mention Paul Mulcahey's Twilight 200 resource site as wellhttp://www.pmulcahy.com/. The man is epically dedicated and detailed. IE/ a whole SECTION dedicated to the AR15 and another for the Winchester model 70 action. and always working on updating his info, some of which is, yeah innaccurate or out of date. One downside? no pics. Period. Had to do at the time with some issue he had with the owners of the images he was using or somesuch, but still I watch closely for his updates.

Conversely this sitehttp://smallarmsillustrated.tripod.com/Index.htm; though not IMO well indexed has pics up the wazoo, but no data.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Falchion

• Captain
« Reply #1364 on: 29 November 2011, 18:54:13 »
So, has anyone else seen that new Israeli M203 mod with the programmable warheads? Looking interesting to me...

fltadm

• Captain
« Reply #1365 on: 29 November 2011, 23:58:25 »
Sounds expensave
No Matter where you go,there you are

,,,,gotta lov "Space Cougers"

Falchion

• Captain
« Reply #1366 on: 30 November 2011, 03:21:01 »
Well, it beats the 40mm XM25 variant that the Marines are requesting. ::)

jc.knight

• Sergeant
« Reply #1367 on: 30 November 2011, 04:09:56 »
Falchion.  I think a MAG PUL AFG (angled foregrip) would look great on the dissapator.

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #1368 on: 30 November 2011, 11:03:51 »
Thread has reached max replies number, so it gets locked.

You may have noticed a recent change to the forums of 25 posts per default page. The old standard was 15 with a thread length of 100 pages, and then we would lock the thread. With the new page size, we will now be locking threads at 50 pages.

Please open a new one.
« Last Edit: 30 November 2011, 11:07:20 by foxbat »
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

Register