Author Topic: Mars Rising: The Marian Hegemony  (Read 210924 times)

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
Re: Mars Rising: The Marian Hegemony
« Reply #60 on: 10 February 2011, 15:05:43 »
The Gladius II is nice, combining 4 RL-15s with a LAC-5 and some arrayed LMGs. Can put a nice sting into a 'mech, and deadly against anything else.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #61 on: 10 February 2011, 20:22:58 »
I like RLs as a secondary weapon (RL10's ), the Jaggermech and Firestarter are good examples.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #62 on: 10 February 2011, 20:25:58 »
Interestingly enough, I like both of them too, though for me the Firestarter falls into the category of a fast light design with a large rocket array as a primary weapon. The fact that it can also pose almost perfectly as a 3025 'Starter is just gravy for me.
My wife writes books

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 11 February 2011, 02:44:13 »
 I see the Firestarter's RLs as its primary weapon as well.

The Gladius II could be nice, but half of the RLs are rear mounted, severely limiting ther use. Would all of them face forward, it would give the Vee a nasty bite Indeed.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #64 on: 11 February 2011, 04:55:34 »
The hegemony also builds Fulcrums. Could use those as RL boats

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #65 on: 11 February 2011, 09:04:53 »
...I like to add RL-10's to my Extra-Light Mechs in the AU I'm working on.  4 RL-10s, 2 ML, 2 SmL - the MadCat equivilant.  Nasty little beggar.

Also love adding them to conventional fighters and fast VTOLs; you haven't lived until you use a Yellowjacket with RLs substituting for the GR.  "Macross Missile Spam, I choose you!"
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #66 on: 11 February 2011, 11:38:25 »
I don't see RL's as a primary on the Firestarter because of how I use it. Back stab a larger mech with all of the RL's, Lasers and flamers, after that go for the lighter elements in a enemy force and general harassment.

"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Guardsman

• Captain
  • Sang-wei Christopher Vose
« Reply #67 on: 11 February 2011, 18:27:33 »
Considering how much the legio follow after Roman-style organization, that is logical. What i would expect to see the least is ASFs and vehicles, since those are technically "ala". Mechs and infantry should be the core, unlike the other Periphery realms, which emphasize less on infantry and more on tanks and then 'Mechs and finally ASFs.

It is worth noting that the Marians practice mass conscription much more than any other realm (even the Confederation or Commonwealth), and they are almost-exclusively cannon-fodder with casualties as high as 75% as seen in FM:P, so it balances out the small sizes of other realms' infantry units.

Auxiliers are a wonderful thing. ;D
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
You will live on forever,
So long as the internet exists,
We shall remember you, Albatross.
1st Chesterton Guards
Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical
100% Strength | 100% Upgraded

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #68 on: 12 February 2011, 04:33:03 »
Yeah...makes it easier for promotion in RPG play when you're one of the few remaining survivors

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: 12 February 2011, 05:51:39 »
Yeah...makes it easier for promotion in RPG play when you're one of the few remaining survivors

Didn't the Stormtroopers in Star Wars work on the same principals? Anyone who survives, gets promoted.
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #70 on: 12 February 2011, 08:47:59 »
Even if the Hegemony uses large numbers of Infantry I do not think they are mere cannon fodder. Look at the infantry kit the MH uses and compare its quality and cost to what other nations' use(yes, even IS- look at pg 318 TacOps or pg 294 ATOW for references ).

The Caesar gives his troopers some quality equipment.

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 12 February 2011, 14:02:38 »
Yeah, Marian body armour looks pretty good, doesn’t it? Stormtrooper armour looked good too. But instead of something to deflect laser fire, protect against physical attacks, it’s just plastic. But the Stormtroopers, and the Marian soldiers for that matter, aren’t meant to know that. Otherwise, they might not be so quick to volunteer. Besides, seeing troops walking down the streets of Nova Roma makes it look like the Hegemony is spending their tax money wisely, rather than wasting it on road trips to Canopus.
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: 12 February 2011, 14:23:27 »
Yeah- but Marian body armor does not only look good, it is good.  :D  Giving a Damage Divisor of 2 in BT and in RPG terms offering excellent protection as well. Of course its expensive, but its worth it.

It seems when it comes to infantry the Hegemony prefers well protected troops- heavy Infantry kit, then the Ravager. Too bad no special XTC troops use the Marian self repairing enviromental suit so far.

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: 12 February 2011, 15:42:51 »
I suppose having a massive, well armed, and armoured infantry would be a great help in suppressing the local populace of conquered worlds, and helping to encourage their assimilation into the greater Marian Hegemony. Then again, looking at the Dark Ages, when the Lothian League breaks free, perhaps it would take more than that.
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #74 on: 12 February 2011, 18:57:01 »
...More than anything, I think people may be overlooking the morale effect of good armor and equipment - there's nothing like looking at the strong, expensive armor that's going to save your life today to feel grateful.  I know I always appreciated having good kit, and it probably engenders a lot of loyalty to the Caesar from his military, too.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #75 on: 12 February 2011, 19:37:46 »
What the MH needs?

An APC that can carry a 100-man Infantry Platoon in a single load.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: 13 February 2011, 03:25:58 »
Best a VTOL IMO.  f course deploying from this carrier in combat would be a pain.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #77 on: 13 February 2011, 09:13:05 »
We need something like the new Maxim, it would be good for the Ravagers as well as standard infantry.

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #78 on: 15 February 2011, 13:35:52 »
For BA yes.

But deploying several infantry troops from a single APC is very hard because of the stacking rules. In my home games I mostly use the old APCs that carry only a single squad/contubernium. Of course trying that with FSM in effect would be impossible.

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #79 on: 15 February 2011, 13:57:26 »
For BA yes.

But deploying several infantry troops from a single APC is very hard because of the stacking rules. In my home games I mostly use the old APCs that carry only a single squad/contubernium. Of course trying that with FSM in effect would be impossible.

Hmm, can we just get a realy big flatbed truck or something? You know, like the ones that would physically move an entire house?
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #80 on: 15 February 2011, 14:07:22 »
Like the Brunel from TRO: VA?
My wife writes books

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #81 on: 15 February 2011, 14:26:04 »
I wouldn't put my house (or infantry platoons, for that matter) in the back of a dump truck, but conceptually, yeah, pretty much.  I'd use the BFFL myself.
« Last Edit: 15 February 2011, 14:27:42 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #82 on: 15 February 2011, 14:27:53 »
I wouldn't put my house (or infantry platoons, for that matter) in the back of a dump truck, but conceptually, yeah, pretty much.

If it gets me enough troops into position to win a battle, I’d have them transported on bicycles built for two with slave labour peddling in front.
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #83 on: 15 February 2011, 23:23:33 »
I think Brunels would work pretty well for Marian defensive formations. Your scouts spot an idling Brunel sitting at an intersection. Does it carry a Maniple of troops, triple AC-20s, or a couple dozen tons of dirt? Either way, Cohors Morituri can figure out how to hurt you with it. }:)
My wife writes books

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #84 on: 15 February 2011, 23:35:16 »
I think Brunels would work pretty well for Marian defensive formations. Your scouts spot an idling Brunel sitting at an intersection. Does it carry a Maniple of troops, triple AC-20s, or a couple dozen tons of dirt? Either way, Cohors Morituri can figure out how to hurt you with it. }:)

Cohors Morituri can figure out how to hurt most people, whenever they feel like it. They may not be the Death Commando, but they're good.
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Marcus

« Reply #85 on: 17 February 2011, 10:17:40 »
I think something like the Palmoni would work pretty well  [rockon]

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #86 on: 17 February 2011, 13:50:47 »
So, how long do you guys think it'll take for the Hegemony to take over the Rim Commonality? :)
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #87 on: 17 February 2011, 14:30:32 »
It's a bit far, honestly. I'd work more towards absorbing the rest of the former Circinian worlds(the habitable ones) and seeing how many ex-FWL worlds might be convinced to join through a minimum of force, and then looking at the R_C. Heck, it might be interesting to try allying with them instead of conquering them, providing an interesting leg up on relations with the Lyrans, as well as a counterbalance to the Canopian-Liao alliance and Raven Alliance. Marians are far from the weakest of the near-Periphery nations thanks to Taurus's interesting times, but we do run the risk of being completely overshadowed by the ones that have very close relations with IS or Clan powers.
My wife writes books

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #88 on: 17 February 2011, 15:24:11 »
It's a bit far, honestly. I'd work more towards absorbing the rest of the former Circinian worlds(the habitable ones) and seeing how many ex-FWL worlds might be convinced to join through a minimum of force, and then looking at the R_C. Heck, it might be interesting to try allying with them instead of conquering them, providing an interesting leg up on relations with the Lyrans, as well as a counterbalance to the Canopian-Liao alliance and Raven Alliance. Marians are far from the weakest of the near-Periphery nations thanks to Taurus's interesting times, but we do run the risk of being completely overshadowed by the ones that have very close relations with IS or Clan powers.

Well, any move against the Free Worlds League would work best with the blessing of the Lyran Commonwealth. A little bit of Loki’s help, some funding, and suddenly the League has a two front war. The Lyrans need a buffer zone for Bolan, and of course, the League would assimilate well. They already understand the basics of commerce, now they only need that a little bit of guidance to become as great as the Lyrans are at that, preferably beneath the Mailed Fist.
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #89 on: 19 February 2011, 09:12:00 »
They have a good set of hovertanks , but I think they really need something like the Rommel/Patton. A tracked tank for to aid SRM carriers.