Author Topic: 'Shattered Fortress' release this summer - the timeline advances!  (Read 62359 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Re: 'Shattered Fortress' release this summer - the timeline advances!
« Reply #450 on: 07 June 2018, 21:19:04 »
Yeah, that fits with what I was quoted.  Cool, I win the bet.  Well, there's still the box sets - they'll be a welcome addition to the "Year of Battletech".  >G<  I guess this thread is a little irreverent - same time next February?   ::)

It's like my wife is in the room, ignoring me.  "When did that idiot learn to drive!  Would you like a chocolate sundae tonight after work?  Kim?  KIM!?!"  Like I said, 4th quarter or next year.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #451 on: 07 June 2018, 21:56:29 »
This isn't meant to be harsh or cynical, but wasn't Ben Rome "95%" (or something) close to finishing the original back in '13 or '14?

This idea got into the water supply awhile ago, and it's inaccurate.

Ben played a role in developing the book, along with other devs at the time. But it was Phil Lee who wrote the main history section off of the outline that group developed, along with other writers who contributed sidebars. It's Phil who is now the developer of the book, and his draft--his draft--and those sidebars remain largely intact.

Remember too that "mostly written" does not mean "mostly finished." All the steps I mentioned above--editing, art, layout, dev review, proofing, production--had not taken place. And they're not some afterthoughts to the writing that can be whipped out in a week or two.

The book that was going to be IlClan has - as you said - been split into two and substantially expanded and rewritten, according to Brent and other CGL reps.

Parts have been expanded and re-written, but much of what Phil originally wrote survives. It's what comes out of the book that required some tweaking. It's not as if the book was wholesale deleted and re-written. But new management had different ideas of where things should head after this book, which required different setup.

Before you ask: I don't know why the book was not moved along through the production process a few years ago. But it's moving now, and we're working at our best speed to get it out. I literally stopped editing a section I was working on so I could type this post.

« Last Edit: 07 June 2018, 21:59:25 by Cubby »
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #452 on: 07 June 2018, 22:04:15 »
What Cubby said. A handful of things were revised or changed to align with some of the things we have coming down the line. (My only real lament with this revision process was having to highlight and hit the delete key on hands down my absolute favorite BT sidebar I've ever written.) But rest assured that the core of the book remains true to the original vision.
« Last Edit: 07 June 2018, 22:08:00 by joechummer »

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

abou

• Captain
« Reply #453 on: 07 June 2018, 22:08:46 »
What Cubby said. A handful of things were revised or changed to align with some of the things we have coming down the line. (My biggest lament was highlighting and hitting the delete key on hands down my absolute favorite BT sidebar I've ever written.) But rest assured that the core of the book remains true to the original vision.
Any possibility of a future "director's cut", non-canonical, behind-the-scenes share of that one?

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #454 on: 07 June 2018, 22:12:38 »
Probably not. It was only a 500-word piece, and in retrospect it was about a great sci-fi idea, but just not one that ultimately belongs in the direction we're taking BT. Basically, it was a great hard-sci-fi concept, but at the end of the day, the BT universe is far more about pulp science than hard science, so I'm really not bitter about it. Deleting something you were proud of writing is hard for any writer, but that's what editors are for: to keep our writer egos in check  ;)

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Author Page
Official Website

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #455 on: 07 June 2018, 22:16:32 »
I hate to say it, but seeing you guys discussing what you're actively working on helps my mood for BattleTech more than a thousand hype-laden news articles. I appreciate you all taking the time to come in here and not just start slapping me around.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #456 on: 07 June 2018, 22:18:05 »
I hate to say it, but seeing you guys discussing what you're actively working on helps my mood for BattleTech more than a thousand hype-laden news articles. I appreciate you all taking the time to come in here and not just start slapping me around.

Nah, never. We love this stuff too, and I do want to bring more "actual" looks into the process to the public.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #457 on: 07 June 2018, 22:21:30 »

Again, Cubby nails it on the head.

Trust me, I'd be on here talking about BT stuff more, but I just haven't had a lot of time to visit the boards lately. CGL and BT keep me very busy these days, especially with con season breathing down our necks….

Author Page
Official Website

abou

• Captain
« Reply #458 on: 07 June 2018, 22:21:59 »
Probably not. It was only a 500-word piece, and in retrospect it was about a great sci-fi idea, but just not one that ultimately belongs in the direction we're taking BT. Basically, it was a great hard-sci-fi concept, but at the end of the day, the BT universe is far more about pulp science than hard science, so I'm really not bitter about it. Deleting something you were proud of writing is hard for any writer, but that's what editors are for: to keep our writer egos in check  ;)
Well... but... dammit... now I want to know even more!

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #459 on: 07 June 2018, 22:26:55 »
Any possibility of a future "director's cut", non-canonical, behind-the-scenes share of that one?

There were other sidebar changes that, while I liked the originals, make more sense now.

Example: In the original sidebar draft of a few years ago, Martin Kell goes out like a boss during the invasion of Arc-Royal, taking to the field and single-handedly demolishing a Falcon star in his Dire Wolf, including a Tomahawk, to buy time for the evacuation of Old Connaught while the nearby Wolf-in-Exile Khans beg him to fall back.

Great, dramatic scene.

...until fact-check last month points out that it's specifically stated in ER:3145 that Evan Kell was the warrior, and Martin Kell was the politician.

Well, then. Back to the drawing board.
« Last Edit: 07 June 2018, 22:31:29 by Cubby »

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #460 on: 07 June 2018, 22:29:15 »
I was typing out something irascible and rather mean spirited in response to the thread, but I realized it doesn't help the matter.

My emotional ownership of the product doesn't change any real outcome besides own my sense of entitlement. I fully expect Catalyst Game Labs to do what they think is necessary, feasible and profitable with the product.  At the end of the day, as much as I like the line, BattleTech is not 'my' personal toy and at the end of the day, all I can do is hope that CGL's direction for the product syncs with my own expectations and vote with my wallet.

Like most fans, I'm disappointed at the delays. I want to see the "Year of BattleTech" mean something as both a fan and a retailer but I also realize I'm decaffeinated and exceptionally cranky after a terrible week and taking pot shots at forumers and developers does nothing to change the current situation besides injecting another load of toxicity into the air.

So, to borrow a Pratchett expression, I'm currently exceptionally knurd regarding the whole affair, but I still do want to read the book someday. And I'd also like to be able to sell the new stuff sooner, rather than later.

On that note, I'd like to thank the staff for actually popping by here and trying to stay positive and constructive. They were a huge contributing reason to this post being reworked not to sound like a screaming rant after something hit a nerve.
« Last Edit: 07 June 2018, 22:32:02 by Dies Irae »

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #461 on: 07 June 2018, 22:33:40 »
Well... but... dammit... now I want to know even more!

I wouldn't have a problem sharing, but the actual content might reveal something that our line developer would rather keep under wraps for the time being, and I'd prefer to stay in his good graces.

If the cat is ever let out of the bag someday, then maybe I can share. (I still have a copy of said sidebar somewhere…) But until then, just consider this to be one of the unsolved mysteries of the BT universe ;)

Author Page
Official Website

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #462 on: 07 June 2018, 22:37:17 »
I wouldn't have a problem sharing, but the actual content might reveal something that our line developer would rather keep under wraps for the time being, and I'd prefer to stay in his good graces.

If the cat is ever let out of the bag someday, then maybe I can share. (I still have a copy of said sidebar somewhere…) But until then, just consider this to be one of the unsolved mysteries of the BT universe ;)

Translation: find Phil at a con, and ask him in person.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #463 on: 07 June 2018, 22:37:57 »
Translation: find Phil at a con, and ask him in person.

I take my NDAs seriously  :P

Author Page
Official Website

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #464 on: 07 June 2018, 22:42:44 »
On that note, lets end this.  IlClan plainly isn't going to make it for summer 2018 - no point beating a dead horse.  Close the thread, please.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #465 on: 08 June 2018, 05:27:53 »
Clock is counting down to GenCon and Origins. I hope they can release some more than the box sets. I want Shattered Fortress. I am exhausted from waiting for the time to move forwards (even nudge.)

I agree with Red Pins. Lets close this thread. There nothing to talk about. I greatly appreciate the writers taking time to talk to us nervous nancys about franchise we all love.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2018, 05:38:04 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #466 on: 08 June 2018, 07:23:24 »
Yes I to appreciate the writers stepping up with information thank you.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #467 on: 08 June 2018, 11:11:27 »
I take my NDAs seriously  :P
This shall mean, buy him beer. A lot of beer  ;)
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #468 on: 08 June 2018, 11:19:14 »
This shall mean, buy him beer. A lot of beer  ;)
Or, if he ppreciates the finer things in life, single malt Scotch Whisky.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #469 on: 08 June 2018, 11:44:23 »
Or, if he ppreciates the finer things in life, single malt Scotch Whisky.
Well, after a bottle he might have problems to talk properly  :D
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #470 on: 08 June 2018, 11:55:10 »
Closed at the request of OP. 
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Register