Author Topic: Naval Pictures V: The Glorious Fifth  (Read 208156 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Naval Pictures V: The Glorious Fifth
« Reply #1320 on: 27 October 2018, 21:03:25 »
The quad pack VLS for the Sea Sparrow do they have to fire all 4 at once or one at a time?
I think they launch one at a time from a sub-cells per tube launcher.  Naval Technology get's into unclassified description of the thing.

However a youtube video can best show it. From looks of it, single missile is fired in this video. It is a Mk 56 Launcher, vs dedicated launcher like a trainable Mk 29 missile launcher or newer Mk 56/57 VLS launcher which essentially a small vertical launcher version of mk29.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1321 on: 27 October 2018, 21:17:13 »
The quad pack VLS for the Sea Sparrow do they have to fire all 4 at once or one at a time?
One at a time. I believe in full auto mode typically 2 missiles are fired at 1 target.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1322 on: 27 October 2018, 21:47:12 »
Given how expensive the missiles are and that unlike in Battletech, missiles are designed to actually kill what they hit with one shot, I'd be surprised if any missile system was designed to launch multiple missiles simultaneously.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #1323 on: 28 October 2018, 00:13:27 »
Given how expensive the missiles are and that unlike in Battletech, missiles are designed to actually kill what they hit with one shot, I'd be surprised if any missile system was designed to launch multiple missiles simultaneously.

sometimes, just sometimes, you want to make it absolutely clear that they're not going to dodge their way past you.  xp
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1324 on: 28 October 2018, 00:25:19 »
sometimes, just sometimes, you want to make it absolutely clear that they're not going to dodge their way past you.  xp

Sort of. Traditionally double engagement is only done against targets that are difficult to hit. Bear in mind these are ESSM, not SM2, ESSM is a point defence missile, so if you're firing it, you really don't want to miss, because you won't get another shot.

To answer the question RE one at a time or all at once, it's one at a time, quite a smart system on the whole although entirely evolutionary, as opposed to the parent Mk 41, which was revolutionary at inception.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1325 on: 28 October 2018, 00:44:36 »
Oh it comes in handy. Reportedly, purportedly, supposably... ESSM's Pk against a supersonic antiship missile about to ruin your day is such that TPTB prefer to fire 2 missiles. Same for SM2s. Whereas the Aster 15/30 system has better Pk and so is comfortable firing 1 missile.

How true any of that is...  ::)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1326 on: 28 October 2018, 03:43:39 »
Isn't it shoot, shoot, rescan, shoot?

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1327 on: 28 October 2018, 03:56:18 »
They are called "miss-les not hit-les. As proven many many times in warfare what works on paper and maybe even tests don't work in real life.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1328 on: 28 October 2018, 04:31:41 »
Oh it comes in handy. Reportedly, purportedly, supposedly... ESSM's Pk against a supersonic anti-ship missile about to ruin your day is such that TPTB prefer to fire 2 missiles. Same for SM2s. Whereas the Aster 15/30 system has better Pk and so is comfortable firing 1 missile.

How true any of that is...  ::)
Just remember that Pk is provided by the manufacturer.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1329 on: 28 October 2018, 05:21:57 »
RAM by design can be used for "sector clearing" against massed targets, firing up to the full 21-cell launcher as a missile stream within 10 seconds. For singular targets it only fires a single missile, but depending on success the launchers will keep putting missiles into the air in set interval until the target is down (typically two with the second fired before the first has intercepted; up to six missiles in defense plans per engagement, in proper installations spread over multiple launchers so as to engage from multiple angles and lower ECM/EW effectiveness).

In the relevant seeker mode for "sector clearing" it is used against massed targets - mostly on the water - with missiles themselves picking out the target that best matches their target spectrum and subsequent missiles switching over onto the next-best target once that one is destroyed. Block 2B, currently under development, includes a missile-to-missile datalink meant to improve coordination within the swarm of missiles in the air in that regard.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1330 on: 28 October 2018, 07:28:53 »
A guy i knew in the service in the 90s told me of a mishap his ship during a training exercise. I believe it was the Wainwright, if I'm not mistaken, she one of the Belknap Class Guided Missile Cruisers we had in service.  She was stationed in Subic Bay in the Philippines at time.  The exercise in question, where she had fire a target drone missile from one of it's RIM-2 Terrier Missile launcher so they could do target practice. Essential the idea was to have the drone fly in circle around the ship, this was so the crew could test fire a SM-2 and shoot it down.

Unfortunately, someone made snafu and made the circle to go around the ship whee bit small.  So the drone ended up on intercept course for the ship.  Apparently there was something was wrong with the Phalanx, so that was down.  SO they used the Mark 42 5-inch/54-caliber gun to shoot thing down, which they succeeded.   Good thing it was a dumb per-programmed drone!

Mishaps tend to be made classified, but it's been long enough since its ok talk about it. I wasn't there, so i got no way prove it didn't happen, but the guy i spoke to was fairly straight forward guy.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1331 on: 29 October 2018, 04:29:48 »
Isn't it shoot, shoot, rescan, shoot?

W.

There's multiple firing patterns in doctrine, shoot, shoot look, shoot look shoot, that sort of thing. It all depends on how your doctrine is written, as to how many of what you will fire when and in what order.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1332 on: 29 October 2018, 04:44:23 »
RAM by design can be used for "sector clearing" against massed targets, firing up to the full 21-cell launcher as a missile stream within 10 seconds.

Has anyone ever live fire tested that?

I mean, anyone wanting to blow like 20 Bugatti Veyrons in 10 seconds...

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #1333 on: 29 October 2018, 04:49:24 »
When you take into account the cost of amo, it is hard to considered real life weapons firing tests without your head spinning.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1334 on: 29 October 2018, 10:13:39 »
Kinda hard to know it'll work without lobbing a few of them, and seeing the effect on a target helps you build stronger hardware.  A good shoot-ex has lots of valuable data for everyone all around, unless you're an unfortunate Tomcat pilot.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1335 on: 29 October 2018, 10:50:36 »

http://www.cv6.org/ship/damage/default.htm
Man she took so much beating in the Pacific War.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1336 on: 29 October 2018, 11:02:43 »

http://www.cv6.org/ship/damage/default.htm
Man she took so much beating in the Pacific War.

And she kept coming back for more...any wonder she had the most battle stars of any US warship in that war, and almost as many as you could possibly get for the Pacific War?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1337 on: 29 October 2018, 16:33:10 »
RAM by design can be used for "sector clearing" against massed targets, firing up to the full 21-cell launcher as a missile stream within 10 seconds. For singular targets it only fires a single missile, but depending on success the launchers will keep putting missiles into the air in set interval until the target is down (typically two with the second fired before the first has intercepted; up to six missiles in defense plans per engagement, in proper installations spread over multiple launchers so as to engage from multiple angles and lower ECM/EW effectiveness).

In the relevant seeker mode for "sector clearing" it is used against massed targets - mostly on the water - with missiles themselves picking out the target that best matches their target spectrum and subsequent missiles switching over onto the next-best target once that one is destroyed. Block 2B, currently under development, includes a missile-to-missile datalink meant to improve coordination within the swarm of missiles in the air in that regard.
Has anyone ever live fire tested that?

I mean, anyone wanting to blow like 20 Bugatti Veyrons in 10 seconds...

i suspect it got tested during development. wouldn't be hard to go to White Sands, set up the RAM mount on a testing stand, and launch test missiles at it.

i doubt it has ever been tried in the field under combat conditions.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1338 on: 29 October 2018, 19:11:21 »

USS Laffey, a Benson Class Destroyer.  She was noted for her service in the pacific theater during World War II.
She was noted on her first major outing of rescuing the survivors from her flagship, USS Wasp.  Her most noted actions was during the Battle of Guadalcanal. This would be her final campaign, where she fought in the Battleship Hiei head on, gave all it could against the battlewagon, injuring the Japanese Task Force's commander which would cause the Taskforce itself to be unable coordinate it's efforts properly..  Eventually, the Hiei got a hit with her 14 inch guns on the Laffey's fantail, it lead to the ship being abandoned.

« Last Edit: 30 October 2018, 07:00:00 by Wrangler »

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1339 on: 29 October 2018, 22:31:41 »
Mildly surprised she still had a fantail after taking a 14" salvo...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1340 on: 30 October 2018, 02:25:14 »
that may well be why the crew finally abandoned her. when half your ship is suddenly missing, it tends to be a big GTFO signal..

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #1341 on: 30 October 2018, 03:01:20 »

USS Laffey, a Benson Class Destroyer.  She was noted for her service in the pacific theater during World War II.
She was noted on her first major outing of rescuing the survivors from her flagship, USS Wasp.  Her most noted actions was during the Battle of Guadalcanal. This would be her final campaign, where she fought in the Battleship Hiei head on, gave all it could against the battlewagon, injuring out the Japanese Task Force's commander.  Eventually, the Hiei got a hit with her 14 inch guns on the Laffey's fantail, it lead to the ship being abandoned.

http://www.laffey.org/uss_laffey_dd_459.htm
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1342 on: 30 October 2018, 06:27:38 »
Special K continues to special on...

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #1343 on: 30 October 2018, 06:56:24 »
If ships were football teams, the Special K would be the Cleveland Browns.   ;D
I have spoken.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1344 on: 30 October 2018, 07:02:35 »
Well that will take a while to sort out.  Someone dock's prematurely or it just in bad repair like everything else we ever think of Russia's infrastructure.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1345 on: 30 October 2018, 08:25:51 »
Well that will take a while to sort out.  Someone dock's prematurely or it just in bad repair like everything else we ever think of Russia's infrastructure.

The poor Russian Navy. Trying to get things going again and then that happens.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1346 on: 30 October 2018, 12:01:49 »
I'll take 'what isn't going freaking anywhere for a year' Alex.  If she was on a drydock, was she undergoing hull repairs?  There's a number of short scaffolds and at least one crane set up all below the waterline, clearly not expecting the ship to hit water anytime soon.  Opened hull?

And if PD-50 went down with any sort of list or pitch, then...yikes.

Found this: "A power outage has been blamed for the incident in the northern city of Murmansk which left a four by five metre hole in the ship above the waterline."
« Last Edit: 30 October 2018, 12:03:21 by ANS Kamas P81 »

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1347 on: 30 October 2018, 12:19:41 »
If she was on a drydock, was she undergoing hull repairs?
They were probably installing the "new" boilers that were supposedly delivered in September.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1348 on: 30 October 2018, 12:41:19 »
Apparently Kuznetsov wasn't opened up at the time, but a power failure killed the pumps used in the drydock ship and it's completely submerged.  Kuznetsov herself has been towed to another yard in Murmansk, "repairs will continue" says Sputnik news.  One person from PD-50 is missing, unspecified whether one of her sailors or a workman or someone else.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #1349 on: 31 October 2018, 17:18:10 »
The Type 001A (improved Kuznetsov) took the Chinese shipyards around 5 years to build and outfit her. I suspect they could just make a new one faster/cheaper than the Kuznetsov can be 'fixed'. I suspect part of the problem with the Kuznetsov is where the unexpected shipyard incident occurred - that's way up north. Like... over the top of Finland north. It's a long way around to the Black Sea or Vladivostok and there's a long history of bad things happening to very large ships under tow.