Poll

Gen Con 2018 Bloodright Tournament Faction?

Blood Spirit
3 (4.8%)
Burrock
0 (0%)
Cloud Cobra
0 (0%)
Coyote
1 (1.6%)
Diamond Shark
0 (0%)
Fire Mandrill
1 (1.6%)
Ghost Bear  (Ooh pick this one)
12 (19%)
Goliath Scorpion
2 (3.2%)
Hells Horses
3 (4.8%)
Ice Hellion
4 (6.3%)
Jade Falcon
0 (0%)
Wolf
4 (6.3%)
Nova Cat
4 (6.3%)
Smoke Jaguar
3 (4.8%)
Snow Raven
7 (11.1%)
Star Adder
4 (6.3%)
Steel Viper
2 (3.2%)
Stone Lion
0 (0%)
Widowmaker
1 (1.6%)
Wolf-in-Exile
2 (3.2%)
Wolverine
7 (11.1%)
Sea Fox
2 (3.2%)
Undecided
1 (1.6%)
Mongoose
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: 27 May 2018, 23:09:10

Author Topic: Gen Con 2018 Bloodright  (Read 5020 times)

Behrens

• Private
Gen Con 2018 Bloodright
« on: 14 April 2018, 22:56:55 »
It is getting close to that time again to see what faction and name will be up for grabs this year. I can't wait to see which Clan will be named for this years Bloodright tournament. I've tried to research a little data and have found a few years worth. Would anyone like to take a guess at which they think will be this years? I have my favorites, but it is really fun trying a different conglomeration of mechs in a random setting. Maybe we should start a poll of which faction they want to see.

Behrens

• Private
Re: Gen Con 2018 Bloodright
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2018, 22:58:33 »
One more.

Estefania

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2018, 00:26:07 »
Want to know more about where these spaces can be found?

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2018, 08:43:51 »
I personally hope for the Ravens.  But ultimately, I'll likely get eliminated in round one like every year I ever play in it.  I'm apparently not a very good player.  :p

Behrens

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2018, 09:00:45 »
 Hear ya there Master Sergeant...

I was booted first round last year too. The funniest thing that happened for me was getting last chassis pick lol. The experience was awesome though. I would have even charged the battlefield in a Urbanmech IIc if I had to.

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2018, 09:21:11 »
Hear ya there Master Sergeant...

I was booted first round last year too. The funniest thing that happened for me was getting last chassis pick lol. The experience was awesome though. I would have even charged the battlefield in a Urbanmech IIc if I had to.

Three years running for me.  So I've a pile of unopened blisters since I don't really do metal minis.  (I keep hoping to get at least one round in so I'll have some cool looking Clan metals!  Worse, there's never been a clan mech left in the blisters by my chance to select)

Behrens

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2018, 09:43:33 »
Yeah it seems the only way to make it work is for the blister to be a Innersphere clan retrofit. Like a captured IS mech with Clan markings and refitted to clan spec. Maybe we can talk Catalyst into making them all Clan blisters instead of pushing the latest 3145TRO minis. You would think they could tailor the prizes to the customer base. It was still nice to get something. We hosted an Alpha Strike game for 12 players and made sure they got a free painted and decaled up mini for playing.

Behrens

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2018, 10:05:44 »
I really think if the tournament was a double elimination instead of once and done it would be more satisfying to lose. Confirming hey, I'm done and double defeated. I think time is really a factor for the event. That keeps it as short as possible. But if you look at other event tournaments they go over two days if they need the time. Fatigue really sets in for players after so many hours of play and modifier thought.

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2018, 10:14:27 »
Eh, I'm fine as is.  Since it's a lengthy process either way and there's a LOT of things I do at Gen Con.  I'd just like to actually win the first game for once!  Getting a pack on a lose at least makes the ticket worth it at some level even if I never have assembled things.  But it would be really nice if the Blister packs for people who get eliminated in the first round were all at least Clan Mechs and not random IS and 3145 tech.

It doesn't help I don't know Clan Tech very well, and don't get to play TT too often outside of the con, and when I do it's 3025 level.  So I don't have a good grasp of the heat curves and ways to use the  mechs we get.  But it is what it is!  I'm just begining to grasp how a real Clanner must feel when they keep losing the Trials for a Bloodname. 

Behrens

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 17 April 2018, 10:48:17 »
Range of your weapons is first and foremost. Staying at a confirmable ranged weapon or multiple that creates some advantage for you over your opponent. Then keep maneuvering to get better shots on your enemy and adding terrain modifiers to your opponents shooting ability. Like partial cover and trees Making it easier for yourself like the pulse laser that gets -2 mod to shoot. Monitoring heat is just more with clan mechs. They may carry more but I don't have to shoot all everytime. My only pairing was a Timberwolf H and I was given a Maddog B. I had weapons for all ranges. 3 med pulse, 2 large pulse, lrm-20, 2 streak-6. My longest range weapons didn't hit at long range. But my medium to short range weapons did due to -2 for pulses and streaks that won't fire unless garenteed a hit. He chose dusk and Dawn so all shots +2. He had heavy lasers with +2 anyways. So I focused on just the 3 med pulses and 2 streak-6 at med to short range majority of battle. Got behind him twice. But I had one more torso just cracked open. He had one torso open, two head shots, was missing an arm and heavy leg damage, we went to time. Judge's decision.

The mistakes I made we're:
I got too close and waited too long for a worse damage hit to use my re-roll chip.

Otherwise I controlled most of the engagement. Not bad for being down 15 tons.

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 23 April 2018, 21:18:10 »
Ooof!  And it's Snow Raven this Gen Con!   Now it's extra personal for me, since they're my clan of choice!

Behrens

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2018, 04:55:45 »
We have a winner, Congrats for owning it like a boss! I can't wait to see what color schemes the paint ream will rendor them in. I'm hoping for a little bit of each Galaxy or Zeta Galaxy's black and green.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2018, 15:10:20 »
How exactly does this work, and what is the goal?

Behrens

• Private
« Reply #13 on: 24 April 2018, 15:46:49 »
Can you be more specific with your question? The thread or the Bloodright?

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 24 April 2018, 21:53:58 »
We have a winner, Congrats for owning it like a boss! I can't wait to see what color schemes the paint ream will rendor them in. I'm hoping for a little bit of each Galaxy or Zeta Galaxy's black and green.

Good news, Zeta is one of the schemes.

Behrens

• Private
« Reply #15 on: 24 April 2018, 22:17:23 »
This is very good news. I like painted and miniatures.

Behrens

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 24 April 2018, 22:20:50 »
It's going to be great to see them when their done being primed, painted and full of decals.

Tyrant

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 24 April 2018, 23:24:54 »
I'm probably going to have some free time during Gen Con this year and I'm leaning towards doing a few Battletech events. Could someone give me a run down of how this event works?

Behrens

• Private
« Reply #18 on: 25 April 2018, 04:36:52 »
Gencon website under Bloodright search
Game ID:NMN18125877
Gaming Group / Company: Catalyst Game Labs
Title:Battletech Trial of Bloodright Tournament
Short Description:Fight your sibkin from Clan Snow Raven for the glory of the Howe bloodname.
Long Description:A 5 round single elimination tournament. You will face off one to one against another proud Clan Snow Raven warrior. Upon defeating your opponent, you keep the mech that they piloted to potentially use in future rounds. After being eliminated any excess mechs that you have, you get to keep. Contestants eliminated in the first round will have a selection of Battletech Mech Blisters to choose from in lieu of keeping a mech from the contest. The overall winner also gets the bloodname of Howe.
Event Type:NMN - Non-Historical Miniatures
Game System:Battletech
Rules Edition:Total Warfare
Minimum Number of Players: 1
Maximum Number of Players: 31
Minimum Age:Teen (13+)
Experience Required:Expert (You play it regularly and know all the rules)
Materials Provided: Yes, materials are provided for this game. You do not need to bring your own.
Start Date & Time:Friday at 6:00 PM
Duration: 6 hours
End Date & Time:Saturday at 12:00 AM
Web Address for more information: bg.battletech.com/information/
Email Address for more information: demoteam@catalystgamelabs.com
Tournament: Yes, this is a tournament.
Cost:$16.00
Ticketing Method:
Special Category: This event is run by a Gen Con Premier Event Group.

Behrens

• Private
« Reply #19 on: 25 April 2018, 04:42:30 »
Show up at the event with your ticket.

Sign in and wait for all participants.

Get an assigned mech mini and record sheet and opponent and table location.

One hour timed round. 1of5 if you keep winning. And keep the minis you beat to use in the other rounds.

If you get knocked out you at least get a mini blister or what you killed.

Have fun and consult judge's if there are any questions.

Behrens

• Private
« Reply #20 on: 25 April 2018, 04:47:59 »
Each opponent gets a re-roll chip for one instance that affects your mech or pilot.

Each pairing will have Hunter/hunted.

Hunter chooses the two maps and their correct orientation.

Hunted chooses the engagement conditions for the round. I.E. dusk/dawn.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #21 on: 25 April 2018, 06:38:47 »
Le sigh..guess i gotta figure out a way to go.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Tyrant

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 25 April 2018, 08:51:44 »
Thanks for the info. I do have one other question if you can answer. The experience level says expert. If I remember correctly from other events there are only so many options for that listing and it is not custom. So, just how familiar with the rules should one be if they are considering this event?

Behrens

• Private
« Reply #23 on: 25 April 2018, 09:07:43 »
The time hack pace is fast one hour per round. If each mech last a while it can take forever. The record sheets the coordinators supply have quite a few tables and modifier reminders on them which is awesome!

If you have trouble playing fast paced you will have trouble finishing or slow play issues. If you don't know the rules well enough your opponent will get tired of reminding you of mistakes. Usually each makes one or two mistakes per game but not very many. I would recommend practicing a one vs. one engagement a few times and see what a 1hour time limit has for effect. You might need to be more familiar.

Players and judge's are more than willing to help someone a bit, but not if it becomes too burdening for the event. Stick with level 2 rules and total warfare and look at the Bloodright tournament rules on PDF and you should be ok if you get used to the time limit and doing modifiers easily.

Tyrant

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 25 April 2018, 10:47:38 »
Thanks for the explanation.

Behrens

• Private
« Reply #25 on: 25 April 2018, 11:19:46 »
I wasn't ready for the fast pace myself but adapted enough to not cause too many problems. I would give it a go if you are able. It is a lot of fun and can be rewarding. Also think of the fatigue of playing 6 hours worth can be taxing on your body and mind.

Sagittaire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Catalyst Field Agent #455
« Reply #26 on: 25 April 2018, 13:42:54 »
I wasn't ready for the fast pace myself but adapted enough to not cause too many problems. I would give it a go if you are able. It is a lot of fun and can be rewarding. Also think of the fatigue of playing 6 hours worth can be taxing on your body and mind.

This is very true. I went to the end last year and I was beat by the end but so worth it  :thumbsup:
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

Member of: Southern Ontario Battletech Society Facebook Group

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 25 April 2018, 13:47:58 »
Yeah, like I've said, never made it past the first round but I have a blast all the same!

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 25 April 2018, 15:58:55 »
Gencon website under Bloodright search
Game ID:NMN18125877
Gaming Group / Company: Catalyst Game Labs
Title:Battletech Trial of Bloodright Tournament
Short Description:Fight your sibkin from Clan Snow Raven for the glory of the Howe bloodname.
Long Description:A 5 round single elimination tournament. You will face off one to one against another proud Clan Snow Raven warrior. Upon defeating your opponent, you keep the mech that they piloted to potentially use in future rounds. After being eliminated any excess mechs that you have, you get to keep. Contestants eliminated in the first round will have a selection of Battletech Mech Blisters to choose from in lieu of keeping a mech from the contest. The overall winner also gets the bloodname of Howe.
Event Type:NMN - Non-Historical Miniatures
Game System:Battletech
Rules Edition:Total Warfare
Minimum Number of Players: 1
Maximum Number of Players: 31
Minimum Age:Teen (13+)
Experience Required:Expert (You play it regularly and know all the rules)
Materials Provided: Yes, materials are provided for this game. You do not need to bring your own.
Start Date & Time:Friday at 6:00 PM
Duration: 6 hours
End Date & Time:Saturday at 12:00 AM
Web Address for more information: bg.battletech.com/information/
Email Address for more information: demoteam@catalystgamelabs.com
Tournament: Yes, this is a tournament.
Cost:$16.00
Ticketing Method:
Special Category: This event is run by a Gen Con Premier Event Group.
Thanks for the explanation.  One more thing though: when you say "The overall winner also gets the bloodname of Howe", what does "keep" mean?

Behrens

• Private
« Reply #29 on: 25 April 2018, 16:28:41 »
When you ask "keep" I think that refers to keep what you kill. Walking away with the opponents mechs you defeat.

The name "Howe" designates you have won a bloodname that you earned. Usually a certificate or plaque I've seen in images. So big rewards, painted minis and certs/plaque.