Author Topic: Megamek Confusion....  (Read 3472 times)

WarMonkey

• Master Sergeant
  • Beware the might of the Falcon, freebirths!
Megamek Confusion....
« on: 21 May 2011, 09:48:52 »
 Hello everyone.

I wanted to ask you fine folks which is the version of Megamek that I need to download to play. I see all kinds of different links to different stuff, but which is the one to just play the game ( the most up do date version preferably ). I have windows.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks! :)
Winning......it beats losing!

Aidan Pryde is my hero!

Greyhind

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm Watching You
Re: Megamek Confusion....
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2011, 13:37:28 »
Google megamek. The first result is the site you want and within it there is a downloads section. The stable version works well enough but most people use the latest development version as far as I can tell from anecdotes.

You might have been confused by things like MegaMekLab, MekWars, MekHQ, ect. These are all separate programs that are not a pre-requisite to using Megamek.

WarMonkey

• Master Sergeant
  • Beware the might of the Falcon, freebirths!
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2011, 17:30:55 »
Thank you Greyhind!
I was confused by all of the other stuff. :-[ I will get the latest development version. I take it you can play others online using this version?
Thanks again for the help!
Winning......it beats losing!

Aidan Pryde is my hero!

Guitardian

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2011, 17:38:29 »
While the topic is Megamek confusion I would like to ask if there is any easy-for-computer-moron explaination of how to participate in an online game. So far all I play is the bot, just figuring out the mechanics of the program, and tried setting up to my own game as a second player on my own computer... but it would be interesting to actually play against a person. Think that I only valuegly know what IP address and URL and server and host and client and such terms mean.. just a simple "internet-for-dummies" kind of answer, if it's possible at all?
retroactively applied infallibility gets me through the day.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2011, 01:18:06 »
That is pretty simple:

1. Go to this page: http://www.whatismyip.com/ and write down your IP address. This address you must send to your opponent via e-mail, ICQ or Private message here.
2. You start the game as usual with "Start a New Game" click
3. Your opponent will click "Connect to a Game ...". He must enter his name (anything he wishes, it doesn't matter), your IP address you gave him, and finally a port number you gave him too (it's in the third line on the "Start a New Game" screen - four numbers like 2346 or 2348)
3. Congratulations. You just have set your game and your opponent connected to it. You just can start playing.

Your Name Is

• Warrant Officer
  • Making myself unpopular since I re-registered.
    • My blog of randomness.
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2011, 02:03:47 »
If you need help setting up port forwarding (if you're behind a router), just PM me with your router brand and I"ll walk you through it as best I can.
I've heard that US freight trains move 1 ton of cargo 435 miles on 1 gallon of gas. I think this means we should all become hobos.

"I am, therefore I'll think." -Ayn Rand

Guitardian

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2011, 05:45:16 »
very cool. thank you guys.
retroactively applied infallibility gets me through the day.

Lt Dan

• Corporal
  • 1st ANZAC Corp.
    • Anarchy League Battletech, Brisbane, Australia
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2011, 06:08:27 »
Consider looking here:

http://www.mekwars.org/mwtracker.html

They are MekWars servers that run campaigns and you can play a bunch of games living through a campaign as a unit of your own, playing heaps of players from other parts of the world...

Have fun!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2011, 17:11:26 »
Try WWW.portforeward.com been a while since I lloked it up but it should still be up.it will help you and show you step by step how to do portforwarding and how to access your router.
As for mega the most updated version you can find is on sourceforge.com
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Register