Author Topic: Comstar HPG Station: Your Friendly Local Service Provider  (Read 5414 times)

Kidd

• Major
Re: Comstar HPG Station: Your Friendly Local Service Provider
« Reply #30 on: 03 May 2018, 14:48:44 »
What is the general feeling towards the Grim Reaper. I would like to like it, but there seems to be a bit missing.
Tastes Griffin-ish.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 03 May 2018, 14:55:30 »
Always been a nice design. Its not one of those "Oh my god, look what this did," but its a solid support design. And unless you alpha strike, its pretty forgiving on the heat. The main one that is.

The variants are odd due to them using c3 instead of c3i. But they're much of the same. TSM is there for times when you push the heat curve, but its an odd TSM. Its not really one you rely on, its there for when things have gone bad.

Tastes Griffin-ish.

Eh, the lack of jump jets sort of defeats that. More like a long range Wolverine maybe.

Again, it doesn't really suck. Even the variants are a c3-linked ERPPC/LRM combo which is pretty nice (and the LRMs have Artemis!)

I think its jut a trooper that gets kind of lost in everything else. Plus the two variants not really working with the standard WoB setup (not to mention the distinct lack of distinct c3 Master variants).

Edit
Of course, if the 30 and 31 are odd, the 62A is downright bizarre. You can sort of see the core of the mech with the MML and the Snub-Nose, but then you realize everything has migrated a bit, things are in a weird place, and how you manage to get a one off variant where you include IJJs is beyond me.

The Einar variant makes sense. "What happens if we salvage some Clantech and upgrade a Grim Reaper." Its not the best use of it perhaps, but it isn't the worse either.
/edit
« Last Edit: 03 May 2018, 15:06:40 by Maelwys »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #32 on: 03 May 2018, 15:10:12 »
the lack of a c3i variant is rather perplexing

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 03 May 2018, 17:15:57 »
Which is why i think come Jihad the Grim Reaper was relegated to 2nd line WOBM divisions, along with other C3S using equipment salvaged or captured.

Edit
Of course, if the 30 and 31 are odd, the 62A is downright bizarre. You can sort of see the core of the mech with the MML and the Snub-Nose, but then you realize everything has migrated a bit, things are in a weird place, and how you manage to get a one off variant where you include IJJs is beyond me.
Compare the GRF-6CS, SHD-11CS.

Avitue wasnt a brilliant pilot so maybe she didn't give much of a damn about her Mech, and had the tarcomp put in to help her aiming. That said this is my favourite variant though, it would well as a close range backstabber with a proper VDNI MD at the helm.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 03 May 2018, 18:22:59 »
She's considered elite. I think the original record sheet for her has her as  0/1, while I believe the Turning Point with her in it suggests her as a 1/2.

But even if she wasn't much of a pilot and didn't give a damn....why the extreme modifications? I mean, if you had told me that she took a WoB Shadow Hawk and modified it to have Improved Jump Jets, then I'd go "yeah, okay," but in this case, they took a non-jumping Mech and modified it to not only jump, but to jump to almost the extreme end of its ability. Its not against the rules or anything, and presumably as a MD they could do whatever they want, but it always seemed odd to me from a fluff point of view.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 03 May 2018, 19:01:00 »
1/2 without VDNI is quite good but not like, MD ubercyborg good... I dunno. Will probably still jump rings around most opponents and Called Shot their weak points well.

Hero customs are supposed to reflect the character's fight style I think. So Avitue picked a Comstar Mech, one that's generally overlooked in favour of the 55ton classics, and modded it to do everything unexpected of the chassis. I'd say that's very... her.