Author Topic: So Fallout 76...  (Read 12931 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
So Fallout 76...
« on: 30 May 2018, 09:36:22 »
Is a thing. That is being developed. Yes.

And it’s multiplayer. Nods.

Yup.

Sigh. I dunno. If it’s a Destiny-alike maybe I could get behind it, but I’m seeing the occasional rumor of it being survival multiplayer like Rust which would be a hard pass or a straight up MMO in the ESO vein which would also probably be a pass.

Single player AAA be dead gents and ladies. Pour one out. It’s all small and mid tier studios from here on out.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: So Fallout 76...
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2018, 09:54:11 »
I'll keep cautious optimism for now since we know just shy of zero right now. But I'm not a big MMO person, so if it's down that path I'll probably have to do something I've only done once before in my life- give a hard pass to a Fallout game. (Brotherhood of Steel for the Playstation never happened, fight me over this.)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2018, 09:57:16 »
Looks like it'll be the same sort of deal as Oblivion Online.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2018, 09:58:40 »
Pretty much. Publishers have ruined gaming. I play mostly imports & indy games these days. I really dislike MMOs, & online play is often more frustrating than enjoyable because of scheduling w/friends & the randomness of other encounters.

All trends come & go. When the market tires of the unstructured free-for-alls, publishers will start investing in great narrative games again. Until then, I guess I'll be producing idols & playing Gundam games (Gods I love you, Namco Bandai)......

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2018, 10:15:12 »
I tend to defend the big names often as I feel their niche, chasing the end of the uncanny valley, is such an expensive endeavor that I can see how a buy-once at $60 model isn't sustainable. Thus we get more of the online stuff and the loot-box controversy. I'm mostly not going to buy their games and I only want substantial DLC (read: expansions), but I can put on my pointy-haired manager hat, close my eyes, and put myself in the shoes of handing out barrels of money to directors and project managers.

I'm mildly surprised to see it come from Bethesda Studio though. Might be a creative desire not to just do the same dev cycle over and over. I can understand that.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2018, 10:23:13 »
having checked several articles so far, and the official bethseda site.. every mention of multiplayer has been just "we heard a rumor" with no details as to source. so Multiplayer is NOT confirmed, and may just be fallout fans hoping/dreading.

i wouldn't mind a multiplayer, but i'd hope for more of a MMORPG set up or at minimum a Division style mix of solo, optional co-op and dedicated PvP areas. instead of the "mass deathmatch" stuff that has been common lately in the shooter genra.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2018, 10:27:34 by glitterboy2098 »

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2018, 10:26:58 »
having checked several articles so far, and the official bethseda site.. every mention of multiplayer has been just "we heard a rumor" with no details as to source. so Multiplayer is NOT confirmed, and may just be fallout fans hoping/dreading.

i wouldn't mind a multiplayer, but i'd hope for more of a MMORPG set up or at minimum a Division style mix of solo, optional co-op and PvP. instead of the "mass deathmatch" stuff that has been common lately in the shooter genra.

Fair. I got the online thing from Jason Schreier who tends to be better plugged in than a lot of reporters.

edit: alternative story. The studio is doing another single player Fallout game because Zenimax wants ESO to run its full course and not be cannibalized. Also plausible.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2018, 10:28:29 by Bedwyr »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2018, 10:30:21 »
and he might be. but with most places not even giving sources as to where said rumor came from, it is hard to tell how valid it is. and with games it is really easy for fan speculation to morph into a "confirmed rumor". look at how people though that the indian head test pattern being used meant it had to be a New Vegas related product.. when New Vegas didn't use that test pattern at all (that particular pattern, in B&W, was a fallout 3 thing)
a couple fans speculated groundlessly on a board somewhere, said speculation got mentioned in discussion on twitter without the speculation context, and suddenly everyone 'knew' it was going to be new vegas remastered or new vegas 2..

(i'm actually seeing a lot of the same for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2., with a lot of discussion of mechanics and story and what not, including hate filled rants over "the changes".. and literally all that has been announced is the name and the release year.)
« Last Edit: 30 May 2018, 10:34:17 by glitterboy2098 »

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2018, 13:28:14 »
I think his sourcing tends to be better than average, especially given the research he did on his book on the industry "Blood, Sweat, and Pixels". It's good to be somewhat wary, but his reporting isn't salacious and is often sympathetic and measured. Doesn't mean it's true, but I'll call better than average?

So, I'm going to throw this out there: https://kotaku.com/sources-fallout-76-is-an-online-survival-rpg-1826425333

It is highly plausible that it'll be a survival game. Could be good. Not sure what to think yet.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2018, 13:48:42 »
Not really something I'm into, unfortunately, but I at least owe my favorite gaming franchise (sorry Battletech) an opportunity to wow me at E3 in a couple of weeks. If it looks fun, maybe I'll give it a try. Dunno. Right now I'm a little bummed, but to be honest I thought the same about the shift to first-person years ago... and was wrong.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2018, 13:52:26 »
So the trailer subtly ( :P) hints that the game will take place in West Virginia.

Prior games indicate that Vault 76 was a control vault that was to open up again in twenty years, and the building site was going to be inspected by a Vault-Tec executive who got... diverted. To space.

I wonder how those elements will play into the game.

Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2018, 14:32:56 »
So the trailer subtly ( :P) hints that the game will take place in West Virginia.

Prior games indicate that Vault 76 was a control vault that was to open up again in twenty years, and the building site was going to be inspected by a Vault-Tec executive who got... diverted. To space.

I wonder how those elements will play into the game.

well the dates shown on the in game clocks (like the pipboy for example) seem to indicate the game takes place ~25 years after the war, so either they opened it and something bad happened.. or they delayed opening for some reason.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2018, 16:43:00 »
If this turns out to be Fallout: Terraria, I will hook IVs to my chair and never be seen again.

Kidding

Maybe....

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2018, 17:55:12 »
What we know right now: Fallout 76 is an upcoming video game from Bethesda for the PC, XBox One, and Playstation 4.

Everything else is speculation.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2018, 18:46:25 »
rumor mill is now claiming it is an online survival focused multiplayer game.. basically like ARK, without the dinosaurs.

again, no one can name sources, closest you get is claims they talked to "someone close to the project"..  ::)

since that usually comes packaged with speculation that the world is going to be "super irradiated and dangerous" because of the timeframe (from the video, looks like 25 years after the bombs dropped) i suspect most of that is just people wishlisting.

that said, the Falllout 4 game engine with its settlement system would be well suited to such a approach, assuming the online aspect functions right. a focus on scrounging and settlement building certainly would fit the timeframe, since there would be very little in the way of large organized communities 25 years after the bombs. especially on the east coast.

though i'm personally not convinced it'll be much more dangerous in terms of radiation.. 25 years is more than enough time for the nastier isotopes to decay to harmlessness. at most you'll likely just have some deadzones around the ground zero points for the bombs that dropped.

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2018, 21:16:36 »
Looking forward to getting some actual official details.  Will withhold judgement until then. 

Also, is that Ron Perlman I hear at the end?  Looking forward to possibly getting the classic Fallout narrator back.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2018, 22:15:15 »
Do I have to play fallout 1-75 for 76 to make sense?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2018, 22:56:36 »
though i'm personally not convinced it'll be much more dangerous in terms of radiation.. 25 years is more than enough time for the nastier isotopes to decay to harmlessness. at most you'll likely just have some deadzones around the ground zero points for the bombs that dropped.

This is fallout, though. Its aproach to how radiation works is less "realistic" and more fifties and sixties pulp scifi.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2018, 00:19:47 »
Do I have to play fallout 1-75 for 76 to make sense?

Yeah, sorry. You'll have to play all 75 former games, or else you'll just be lost.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2018, 01:01:21 »
Yeah, sorry. You'll have to play all 75 former games, or else you'll just be lost.

And all the DLC as well.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #20 on: 31 May 2018, 22:48:21 »
I think his sourcing tends to be better than average, especially given the research he did on his book on the industry "Blood, Sweat, and Pixels". It's good to be somewhat wary, but his reporting isn't salacious and is often sympathetic and measured. Doesn't mean it's true, but I'll call better than average?

So, I'm going to throw this out there: https://kotaku.com/sources-fallout-76-is-an-online-survival-rpg-1826425333

It is highly plausible that it'll be a survival game. Could be good. Not sure what to think yet.

Bethsidia apparently blackballed kotaku a few years back. I'm not saying they don't have a friend on the inside anyways or the guy doesn't also moonlight as an alpha tester for fun but i wouldn't assume they know what's what just yet. Only thing i would be confident in being true as far as the rumors go is they're planning on tying this to the creation club, because they've been riding that pony hard.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #21 on: 01 June 2018, 00:07:13 »
This is fallout, though. Its aproach to how radiation works is less "realistic" and more fifties and sixties pulp scifi.

Yeah, but wasn't it canon that the radiation was down to mostly safe levels outside of hot spots within weeks?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 10 June 2018, 21:43:09 »
So Jason Schreier did call it correctly. The game is multiplayer survival and instanced, apparently. And the players can use nukes on rivals. Goodness.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 10 June 2018, 22:04:28 »
"Instanced" sure is a fancy way of saying "will include private options for play".
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 10 June 2018, 22:23:54 »
"Instanced" sure is a fancy way of saying "will include private options for play".

Basically. It's a not-half-bad solution to a range of ills.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #25 on: 10 June 2018, 22:39:25 »
Well, there goes my interest.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #26 on: 10 June 2018, 22:41:24 »
I'm just hoping I can restrict showuppable characters so that me and a few friends (Roughly three, so a four man-band like in the trailer) can mess around in the Wasteland on our own with no random people to spoil the fun (with nukes).

Instances or no, I'm not much of a fan of playing RPGs with randos. If specific players only isn't possible (Hell have no fury etc. etc. if it doesn't), I'm just gonna play as solo as I humanly can-especially if it even comes with an offline solo mode. Given how they mentioned quests, I feel as though this may be a New Vegas-style venture with the added bonus of Destiny-style co-op.

This all said and done, I'm actually pretty psyched about being able to alter map sections with nukes.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #27 on: 10 June 2018, 22:45:44 »
well that certainly killed any hope of me playing. killed any hope of modders getting involved too, i don't fancy the game's chances if they don't put in a lot of extra work bugfixing this time around.

I feel as though this may be a New Vegas-style venture with-

it's good you still have your optimism.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #28 on: 10 June 2018, 22:52:21 »
well that certainly killed any hope of me playing. killed any hope of modders getting involved too, i don't fancy the game's chances if they don't put in a lot of extra work bugfixing this time around.

it's good you still have your optimism.
It's better than being someone who screams that the sky is falling down because co-op got announced.

And frankly, that whole 'quests' thing is the main reason why I think that. Also helps that the Enclave might be somewhere in the area, considering there's a Presidential Bunker in West Virginia, and X-01 armor makes an appearance in the trailer. And if it's touted as being single-player possible, and they specifically mention quests still being a thing, I see no reason to start crying about not buying the game simply because encountering other real (Read; on the other side of their screen) people is touted as an option.
« Last Edit: 10 June 2018, 23:03:13 by Caedis Animus »

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #29 on: 10 June 2018, 22:53:59 »
 Saw the video. Fallout 4 was a letdown, but this thing is just a Fallout 4 modeled ARK: Survival Evolved. Not my thing, either the online playing neither Bethesda capacity to create good RPGs.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.