Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition  (Read 165142 times)

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
Re: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition
« Reply #1260 on: 10 June 2019, 09:40:20 »
While I'm not sure if this'll help, but...
First, I define Anime as: Animated material developed and primarily intended for a Japanese audience.
Notice I didn't include produced. I kept that out to keep productions where a Studio is a co-producer in a project, but it's intended primary airing isn't Japan. I know that also gives some grey areas too, but at least allows a reasonably solid base line to work with.

As to G1 Transformers being Anime or not? Technically, even by my definition, I'd say no. While the toys G1 was based on were of Japanese origin, the background and characterizations were developed in the US for a US audience. Noting that, I would make an exception for the Japanese-exclusive series based from G1 though. Youtuber Chris McFeely, as part of his "The Basics" series, just covered the Japanese TF Series. It's worth watching.
« Last Edit: 10 June 2019, 10:09:59 by Tymers Realm »

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1261 on: 10 June 2019, 10:01:33 »
So, blurry picture, since it was rushed, and late night, but i'm feeling like I should rewatch Tiger and Bunny while working on the MG kit.  They really are pretty big.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #1262 on: 10 June 2019, 10:23:46 »

So where do you cut something like The Red Turtle?  Co-produced by Wild Bunch and Studio Ghibli (with Toshio Suzuki from Ghibli as the primary), but a non-Japanese director and the animation done all over the place, including Ghibli.

Nearly all the core creative staff weren't Japanese on that film, so I'd say no. When I say the studio/director determines what is anime & what is not, I am discussing the individuals creatively driving & shaping the work. The presence of Japanese animators working under-contract for a largely foreign creative staff according to direction by said staff doesn't make it anime any more than hiring Japanese robotics technicians would make a manufacturer a Japanese company. The national origin of core creative staff - writers, directors, key animator, character designers, etc, determine if a work is anime. Those core creatives may be meeting a request by an overseas customer, or may even include a handful of foreign creatives amongst them, but once there is little or no Japanese creative influence, it ceases to be a Japanese work of art - it's not anime.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #1263 on: 10 June 2019, 14:44:31 »
Oh good. Now I don’t feel bad for not having that one in my Studio Ghibli collection.

Ruger

Nevertheless,  it is good and worth a watch.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1264 on: 10 June 2019, 15:26:07 »

IIRC, it has no dialogue in it?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1265 on: 10 June 2019, 16:42:49 »

It does look good! Dare I say it, better than some other full Ghibli films!

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1266 on: 10 June 2019, 17:40:23 »
IIRC, it has no dialogue in it?

Ruger

Correct.

It was very critically acclaimed, winning an Un Certain Regard at Cannes and being nominated for an Oscar.

anyway, I'll stop derailing things.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1267 on: 10 June 2019, 21:32:36 »
FYI, Funimation is currently streaming Shin Godzilla.  It'll be available to watch for the next few weeks.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #1268 on: 12 June 2019, 02:36:49 »
Entering the second seaspon of Code Geass. While the first one was quite mech-centric, it seems this has gone more into the area of magic and mechs are just background.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1269 on: 12 June 2019, 04:29:47 »
I've long hypothesized that Code Geass had been written intending for three seasons, & when only two were approved a large chunk of the story wound up cut. In addition to the general rapid pacing, things like Orange-kun's hyped up Geass Canceller never getting used leads me to believe a lot of material was pulled for time.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #1270 on: 12 June 2019, 04:58:47 »
Might be. I like the rapid pace. Make for a much more interesting anime than the loooooooong filler series that we tend to see out there.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1271 on: 12 June 2019, 12:58:47 »
I've long hypothesized that Code Geass had been written intending for three seasons, & when only two were approved a large chunk of the story wound up cut. In addition to the general rapid pacing, things like Orange-kun's hyped up Geass Canceller never getting used leads me to believe a lot of material was pulled for time.
We Escaflowne fans sympathize.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1272 on: 12 June 2019, 15:44:06 »
We Escaflowne fans sympathize.

I need to rewatch both Code Geass and Vision of Escaflowne sometime.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1273 on: 14 June 2019, 08:38:26 »
Might be. I like the rapid pace. Make for a much more interesting anime than the loooooooong filler series that we tend to see out there.
There's a difference between a long, well plotted, well paced series and "We've demonstrated yet again that we can put out almost 50,000 frames of animation with dialog and music faster than those manga folks can produce 15 pages of black and white.  Now we need to kill some time.  Maybe there's something good on Fanfiction.net we can crib..."

Side note:  I read somewhere that the Death of Superman arc was sort of a filler. Lois and Clark were getting close to tying the knot in the comics, but the Lois and Clark TV show was just spooling up.  So they killed Superman for a while to give the show time to catch up.  That way the comic and TV weddings would more or less sync up.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1274 on: 14 June 2019, 11:27:11 »
Tvtropes says that.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1275 on: 14 June 2019, 11:47:32 »
Tvtropes says that.
I recall TVtropes also saying that a certain scene in Star Wars movie was altered because of changes in age rating system, which MadCapellan has said to be wrong. So don't take everything on TVtropes (or in any Wiki in general) too seriously.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1276 on: 14 June 2019, 15:00:47 »
I'm not saying that it's correct, I've certainly removed plenty of nonsense from the site over the years,  but it's a place grimlock1 could have seen it.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1277 on: 15 June 2019, 20:03:03 »
Seasons 3-6 of the Netflix/Dreamworks Voltron Legendary Defender series have been released as a set of DVD’s.

Ruger

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1278 on: 15 June 2019, 21:18:49 »
It started out well. Shame it fumbled on the last couple.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #1279 on: 16 June 2019, 21:40:55 »
ISEKAI QUARTET Ep 10. There's a reason she's called Tanya "the Evil".  ;D ;D i was literally in tears!
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1280 on: 18 June 2019, 08:05:48 »
I'm about 8 eps into Sirius the Jaeger and liking that so far.

On the other hand, I got maybe 2 eps into Revision before I walked away. I may try again but the lead, Daisuke is a major turn off.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1281 on: 18 June 2019, 13:10:19 »
Regarding this upcoming anime, I'm nearly through & done with the Web novel. So isekai, protagonist is older Japanese (as opposed to typical teenagers), and he is called maou / demon lord. He doesn't yield to typical cliches & tropes, but instead takes them by the throat and kicks ass with cigarette in his mouth. So girl walks into men's bath by mistake while Maou is in there, and he is like: "Such a cliche... Frak it!"

Many other characters also break your typical tropes: one beautiful holy maiden insults everyone while holding her middle finger high, white mage dressed in black and worships some darkness because chuunibyou, and so on. Totally enjoyed the Web novel, and when I wasn't grinning like a fool, I was laughing my ass off. I hope anime gets as well done as Goblin Slayer.

So does anyone else in here have expectations about this anime?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1282 on: 20 June 2019, 06:46:55 »
Regarding this upcoming anime, I'm nearly through & done with the Web novel. So isekai, protagonist is older Japanese (as opposed to typical teenagers), and he is called maou / demon lord. He doesn't yield to typical cliches & tropes, but instead takes them by the throat and kicks ass with cigarette in his mouth. So girl walks into men's bath by mistake while Maou is in there, and he is like: "Such a cliche... Frak it!"

Many other characters also break your typical tropes: one beautiful holy maiden insults everyone while holding her middle finger high, white mage dressed in black and worships some darkness because chuunibyou, and so on. Totally enjoyed the Web novel, and when I wasn't grinning like a fool, I was laughing my ass off. I hope anime gets as well done as Goblin Slayer.

So does anyone else in here have expectations about this anime?
Other than expecting it's to be a highly compressed version what I've read from the Manga, which i actually liked.  It could be ok, but it hard to say.  A lot people are burnt out on the iseka trend.   I'm not but, others maybe thinking otherwise. 

I'd be happy if Japan find more diverse source materials other than Legacy series dating back to the 1970s and popular trend ones seem to burn out fairly quick.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1283 on: 20 June 2019, 09:42:43 »
I'd like isekai shows better if so many of them weren't "overpowered protagonist is a *bleep* to people and shows off how OP their abilities are all the time."

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1284 on: 20 June 2019, 13:22:45 »
I'd like isekai shows better if so many of them weren't "overpowered protagonist is a *bleep* to people and shows off how OP their abilities are all the time."
At least Maou-sama Retry! plays it for laughs and does it well. As for what you're asking for:
Re:Zero
Konosuba
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
The Familiar of Zero

[edit]
Gate
[/edit]

More on the manga front. I may write about couple of them in the respective topic sometime soon.
« Last Edit: 20 June 2019, 13:49:19 by Matti »

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1285 on: 20 June 2019, 18:34:12 »

I don't think I'd seen this posted in here (apologies if it was) but it looks like Weathering With You the newest film by legendary Japanese anime director Makoto Shinkai will be getting an English dub and a US release (for awards purposes in NYC and LA in late December 2019 and in a more wide distribution in early 2020).

https://variety.com/2019/film/global/gkids-north-american-rights-weathering-with-you-1203224303/

-- William S. Burroughs

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1286 on: 20 June 2019, 21:28:44 »
Time to gouge your eyeballs out after this, because they'll never see anything prettier...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1287 on: 21 June 2019, 06:50:22 »

https://variety.com/2019/film/global/gkids-north-american-rights-weathering-with-you-1203224303/
From that same article:
"“Your Name,” set box-office records in Japan and around the world, grossing $358 million worldwide, becoming the third highest-grossing non-English language and non-Chinese movie of all time. It’s currently getting a major studio live-action remake from J.J. Abrams."
What?  :o
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1289 on: 21 June 2019, 11:11:01 »
Prime Video is part of a Prime subscription (at least in the US). The offerings are... random. There's a lot of older stuff and some new things that aren't as big names as you'd find on Crunchyroll or Funimation.

Register