Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition  (Read 167475 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Re: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition
« Reply #570 on: 02 November 2018, 20:36:51 »
I'm pretty sure it was common in the manga.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #571 on: 02 November 2018, 20:39:13 »
Well, when you're translating a nonsense phrase, the result can only ever be nonsense.....

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #572 on: 02 November 2018, 21:05:59 »
And supernatural martial art shonen titles certainly have a lot of nonsense phrases.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #573 on: 02 November 2018, 21:59:38 »
And supernatural martial art shonen titles certainly have a lot of nonsense phrases.

This is actually one of the problems I have with subtitles - they inject a false sense of intellectualism into the script when in fact there is none. Dialogue sounds corny as hell? Think it's the dub's fault? Let me tell you, chances are the dialogue is just as cheesy in Japanese, you just didn't pick up on it because you're unaccustomed to the language & reading the words imparts an unintended studious quality to the delivery, akin to how the humor in Shakespeare is somewhat lost through the filter of linguistic drift. Anime is really dorky. If you're cringing at the dub, chances are there's some middle-aged Japanese viewer doing the same with the original audio just before they change the channel to watch something more mundane.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #574 on: 02 November 2018, 22:05:54 »
Believe it!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #575 on: 02 November 2018, 22:21:09 »
I hate to say, but "Believe it!" was just as common in the subtitled version as the dubbed  version.
This is actually one of the problems I have with subtitles - they inject a false sense of intellectualism into the script when in fact there is none. Dialogue sounds corny as hell? Think it's the dub's fault? Let me tell you, chances are the dialogue is just as cheesy in Japanese, you just didn't pick up on it because you're unaccustomed to the language & reading the words imparts an unintended studious quality to the delivery, akin to how the humor in Shakespeare is somewhat lost through the filter of linguistic drift. Anime is really dorky. If you're cringing at the dub, chances are there's some middle-aged Japanese viewer doing the same with the original audio just before they change the channel to watch something more mundane.
This is why it didn't hurt as bad.

Though I always disliked the main characters of that show (especially the mangaka's disturbing lurve for Sasuke); it's the secondary characters who are far more interesting. No one over the age of 8 likes any of the three mains if asked; it's always someone else.

Believe it.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #576 on: 03 November 2018, 01:28:24 »
Anime is really dorky. If you're cringing at the dub, chances are there's some middle-aged Japanese viewer doing the same with the original audio just before they change the channel to watch something more mundane.
More mundane? Like live-action adaptation of popular anime & manga? xp
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #577 on: 03 November 2018, 06:06:21 »
You filthy casuals with your Boku no Macadamia & your SAO hatedom & your not fawning over Japanese seiyu dressed half their age!  ;D You're the reason I can't hear the speaker running my Gundam panel over the 300 screaming Vic Mignogna fans in the next room!

Damn straight.

I've watched anime both ways, and just prefer the dub over the sub. I'll watch them subbed if I'm without a choice but yeah, guilty of being a filthy casual.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #578 on: 03 November 2018, 10:01:17 »
This is actually one of the problems I have with subtitles - they inject a false sense of intellectualism into the script when in fact there is none.
And while we're at it, fansubs/scanlations tend to interject a HELL of a lot more cursing that is actually prevalent.

Never mind my personal beef...insisting on keeping Japanese words when they have a perfectly fine English equivalent.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #579 on: 03 November 2018, 11:36:57 »
guilty of being a filthy casual.

;D Sorry, man! I just couldn't not give you a little razzing after you declared yourself a ****** normie!

And while we're at it, fansubs/scanlations tend to interject a HELL of a lot more cursing that is actually prevalent.

That's oftentimes a localization thing. It's kind of hard to find the right way to translate a character deliberately using inappropriately informal language with someone to belittle them, since English doesn't have the multiple layers of linguistic politeness present in Japanese. A lot of translators reach straight for swearing because a lot of Americans curse pretty casually & it conveys the same message of "I don't respect you". There's certainly other ways to do it, but like all localization decisions a lot of it comes down to subjective interpretation of the characters & their dialogue.

Never mind my personal beef...insisting on keeping Japanese words when they have a perfectly fine English equivalent.

Yeah, that really sort of defeats the purpose of a translation, doesn't it? Certainly, I think there are a number of Japanese words that just aren't easily translated into a single English word equivalent, but was a lot more prevalent in fansubs than the language dictates.

Honestly, my pet-peeve in translation is almost the opposite, though - altering forms of address. When a girl refers to her classmate as "Shimada-san", and the translator decides to translate that as "Kyoko" instead of "Ms. Shimada" it drives me up the damn wall!  ;D I understand that the intent is to make their interaction sound like an ordinary classmate conversation in English, but the level of formality being used is not linguistic, it's cultural! The character speaking does not have a comfortable, casual relationship with Ms. Shimada! There's a level of social distance in their relationship that's being erased by the translation because someone felt that would make the dialogue awkward, but it is supposed to be awkward! Ms. Shimada is not someone they'd just go to karaoke with after school.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #580 on: 03 November 2018, 11:50:03 »
That's oftentimes a localization thing. It's kind of hard to find the right way to translate a character deliberately using inappropriately informal language with someone to belittle them, since English doesn't have the multiple layers of linguistic politeness present in Japanese. A lot of translators reach straight for swearing because a lot of Americans curse pretty casually & it conveys the same message of "I don't respect you". There's certainly other ways to do it, but like all localization decisions a lot of it comes down to subjective interpretation of the characters & their dialogue.

That is true, but it was still common back in the days when fansubs were typically the only way to get anime in the US that a lot of fansubbers would take a kid's show and have every character swear like Revy from Black Lagoon.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #581 on: 03 November 2018, 11:51:07 »
That is true, but it was still common back in the days when fansubs were typically the only way to get anime in the US that a lot of fansubbers would take a kid's show and have every character swear like Revy from Black Lagoon.
Good times.  ;D
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme & Nebula Confederation

kato

• Captain
« Reply #582 on: 03 November 2018, 12:04:23 »
a lot of fansubbers would take a kid's show and have every character swear like Revy from Black Lagoon.
... Crunchyroll does that professionally. At least for their German subs, French and Spanish too to a lesser extent.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #583 on: 03 November 2018, 12:59:12 »
I don't watch much stuff on Crunchy since I too prefer dubs and also I find their ads incredibly annoying, given how they blare out at massive volume.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #584 on: 03 November 2018, 16:26:31 »
TVtropes has an article about it
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #585 on: 03 November 2018, 16:29:38 »
;D Sorry, man! I just couldn't not give you a little razzing after you declared yourself a ****** normie!

Because I am. I'm learning, but I have nowhere near the knowledge of anyone else in this thread.

Now those people do it to Western cartoons and post it on YouTube so little kids can find it and learn swear words. 
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #586 on: 03 November 2018, 16:53:39 »
Now those people do it to Western cartoons and post it on YouTube so little kids can find it and learn swear words.
I learned swearing just by listening my father ::)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #587 on: 03 November 2018, 17:52:58 »

Back when I was that age, I had to learn swear words from other kids at school.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #588 on: 03 November 2018, 19:05:26 »
Isn't progress a wonderful thing?
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #589 on: 03 November 2018, 21:46:40 »
hehe

Curse like a sailor, Spongebob edition!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #590 on: 03 November 2018, 23:06:04 »
Because I am. I'm learning, but I have nowhere near the knowledge of anyone else in this thread.

That's okay, we'll get you leveled up in no time! Soon your ability to relate to normal people will be completely ruined!

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #591 on: 04 November 2018, 00:29:09 »
Normal...people...?

My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #592 on: 04 November 2018, 01:18:25 »
As Trillian put it "we will be returning to normal just as soon as we figure out what 'normal' is."

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #593 on: 04 November 2018, 01:41:13 »
As one Finnish man put it: "We humans are so different that normal human don't exist."

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #594 on: 04 November 2018, 20:54:36 »
I'm going through Gundam Origins right now on Bluray. Have episodes 5 and 6 been translated? I don't watch a lot of anime so I'm pretty ignorant of the speed of dubs and exports.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #595 on: 04 November 2018, 23:21:18 »
I'm going through Gundam Origins right now on Bluray. Have episodes 5 and 6 been translated? I don't watch a lot of anime so I'm pretty ignorant of the speed of dubs and exports.

Episodes 5 & 6 have at least been streamed in English, but there's no Western release announced yet, that I have seen. I'm sure Rightstuf will release it eventually.

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #596 on: 04 November 2018, 23:33:49 »
The entire series in on Hulu currently; both Sub and Dub
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #597 on: 05 November 2018, 10:44:32 »
Yeah, that really sort of defeats the purpose of a translation, doesn't it? Certainly, I think there are a number of Japanese words that just aren't easily translated into a single English word equivalent, but was a lot more prevalent in fansubs than the language dictates.
Most recent example...a scanlation insisting on using 'kaa-san' and 'too-san' when talking to his mom and dad instead of...you know, Mom and Dad.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #598 on: 05 November 2018, 10:49:54 »
All according to keikaku it seems.....

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #599 on: 05 November 2018, 11:44:49 »
Most recent example...a scanlation insisting on using 'kaa-san' and 'too-san' when talking to his mom and dad instead of...you know, Mom and Dad.

What a baka.

Anyway, decided to rewatch Last Exile.  Haven't seen it since it was new.

Register