Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition  (Read 167452 times)

DarkSpade

• Major
Re: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition
« Reply #630 on: 17 November 2018, 21:55:05 »
-Bunny girl senpai

Huh...

*google image search*

okay, not sure what else I expected it to be.

*wikipedia search for plot synopsis*

Wait, what?

Okay, intrigued.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #631 on: 17 November 2018, 23:32:37 »
Huh...

*google image search*

okay, not sure what else I expected it to be.

*wikipedia search for plot synopsis*

Wait, what?

Okay, intrigued.

The show is quite good. I love the dialogue and chemistry between the male and female leads.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #632 on: 17 November 2018, 23:46:17 »
The show is quite good. I love the dialogue and chemistry between the male and female leads.
I love how they actually, ya know... talk to each other :P
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #633 on: 18 November 2018, 05:03:39 »
I'll bet you that the Farm sequence has not been cut, but that it will come at the end of the current water town arc.
Yeah, somebody else has theorized the same before. My thought was that anime director (or one above him) considered it to be filler material and removed it in order to make room to complete the story with less # of episodes. 12 episodes according Wikipedia, and 7 have been covered. Water Town arc will take at least 1 episode more, which leaves 4 episodes for rest of the season and to (maybe?) complete the story.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #634 on: 18 November 2018, 07:28:05 »
Yeah, somebody else has theorized the same before. My thought was that anime director (or one above him) considered it to be filler material and removed it in order to make room to complete the story with less # of episodes. 12 episodes according Wikipedia, and 7 have been covered. Water Town arc will take at least 1 episode more, which leaves 4 episodes for rest of the season and to (maybe?) complete the story.

That could be, but then that would waste the build up of his relationship to the place he lives and the girl he lives withl. I think they will go back. Going back and covering the 'missing arc' would also produce a better season wrap-up.  :)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #635 on: 20 November 2018, 06:59:39 »
More bad news for mecha anime... :'( https://fast.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-11-20/anime-studio-xebec-production-operations-to-be-transfered-to-sunrise/.139751
Production IG is selling Studio Xebec to Sunrise due to mounting losses. This effectively reduces the number of studios that regularly will invest in producing mecha anime to just two - Sunrise & Satelight. Xebec was hardly my favorite of the three, but with Sunrise primarily focused on Gundam & Satelight on Macross & Aquarion, Xebec regularly stepped into the breach to produce all manner of original mecha stories. I expect Sunrise will complete any outstanding contracts for Xebec, but I think just about any hope of FMP being continued after IV is gone - there simply isn't another studio with the proficiency that won't be better off financially allocating resources elsewhere. I might have to rewarch Rinne no Lagrange tonight to see them off in style!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #636 on: 20 November 2018, 08:38:33 »
eesh. Heavy Hit. It will take independent studios (like outside of Japan) to produce old school scifi shows. Unless they can work out some kind of deal with toy maker like they did in the old days. There must be a Magic Girl/Moe/Idol Star bubble that going burst somewhere. I'm kinda tired of that show being the norm when anything is made.

Is there sign of tastes in Japan fandom changing or they more into video games? More i see these games, animated clips, more i think scifi leaning fans are there now playing more interactive scifi aka games.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #637 on: 20 November 2018, 10:05:32 »
eesh. Heavy Hit. It will take independent studios (like outside of Japan) to produce old school scifi shows. Unless they can work out some kind of deal with toy maker like they did in the old days.

It's definitely a cost/benefit challenge. Developing a good mecha anime costs a lot vs. the profit that is to be had. That's why it's Gundam & Macross that get made & not a whole lot else - they're established properties that people still buy by the truckload.

There must be a Magic Girl/Moe/Idol Star bubble that going burst somewhere. I'm kinda tired of that show being the norm when anything is made.

We've definitely hit peak idol anime - IdolM@ster & Love Live are the big two (plus Uta wa Prince-sama on the male sidd) & all the other names are slowly getting pushed out of the market. WUG has come to an end & they were the closest thing to a serious competitor. Bushiroad has tried to transition to bands with BanG Dream! with mixed results.

Is there sign of tastes in Japan fandom changing or they more into video games? More i see these games, animated clips, more i think scifi leaning fans are there now playing more interactive scifi aka games.

Moe has definitely taken a backseat to a mobage backed fantasy revival, although I'd say there's yet to be a new dominate market trend since the isekai boom a couple of years ago. The anime industry is still struggling with the inevitable collapse of the Japanese BD market a few years ago.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #638 on: 20 November 2018, 11:02:21 »
This effectively reduces the number of studios that regularly will invest in producing mecha anime to just two - Sunrise & Satelight. Xebec was hardly my favorite of the three, but with Sunrise primarily focused on Gundam & Satelight on Macross & Aquarion, Xebec regularly stepped into the breach to produce all manner of original mecha stories.
Hasn't A-1 Pictures made mecha in recent years? Yes it has: Aldnoah.Zero in 2014-15.

[edit]
And more recently, Darling in the Franxx was made just this year by CloverWorks and Trigger.
« Last Edit: 20 November 2018, 11:04:22 by Matti »
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #639 on: 20 November 2018, 11:43:38 »
I expect Sunrise will complete any outstanding contracts for Xebec, but I think just about any hope of FMP being continued after IV is gone - there simply isn't another studio with the proficiency that won't be better off financially allocating resources elsewhere.
:'(  :'(  :'(
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

kato

• Captain
« Reply #640 on: 20 November 2018, 12:04:37 »
This effectively reduces the number of studios that regularly will invest in producing mecha anime to just two - Sunrise & Satelight.
There's at least three more with regular investment: 8-Bit, Polygon Pictures and Orange.

8-Bit did Knights' and Magic and Comet Lucifer in the last few years, Polygon Pictures does Knights of Sidonia. Polygon Pictures may be a bit less known for being the animation studio behind animated Transformers and animated Star Wars series. Orange does mecha animation generally in coproduction with other studios, e.g. Active Raid or Majestic Prince.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #641 on: 20 November 2018, 12:11:09 »
I was also just talking about Voltron which is made by a Dreamworks studio contracting animation to Studio Mir in South Korea which also did Korra and Boondocks. If you want experimentation in mecha anime, I don't think that's necessarily a good sign (Mir does Korra and Boondocks), but it does demonstrate capability where there's producer interest in a mecha show.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #642 on: 20 November 2018, 12:17:16 »
Hasn't A-1 Pictures made mecha in recent years? Yes it has: Aldnoah.Zero in 2014-15.

And more recently, Darling in the Franxx was made just this year by CloverWorks and Trigger.

"Made a mecha anime once in the past decade" is not the same thing as "make mecha anime regularly". Plenty of studios have produced a one-off mecha anime as a passion project, but as a regular part of their business model, only Sunrise, Satelight & until now Xebec made mecha anime on an ongoing basis. Aldnoah Zero moved an average of 7k on disk, FranXX just shy of 5k. To put that in perspective, Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san reaped similar domestic sales at a fraction of the cost to produce. FranXX business model was most likely wholly dependent on the strength of Trigger's brand overseas. Mecha just doesn't sell like it used to. It's never going to die out, but it's quickly dwindling away to be a very niche part of the industry.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #643 on: 20 November 2018, 12:33:26 »
There's at least three more with regular investment: 8-Bit, Polygon Pictures and Orange.

Comet Lucifer was an epic bomb, though. Knights & Magic did a bit better, but I'm not sure how many more mecha light novel adaptations exist that publishers are looking to bankroll.

As for Polygon & Orange, I didn't include them because they both only have one traditional mecha anime each, & both are from several years ago. In fact, up until Land of the Lustrous Studio Orange had only provided CG support to traditional animation studios.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #644 on: 20 November 2018, 13:05:19 »
The problem is also that development cycles on mecha anime are ridiculous compared to the usual "just animate it" 18-month cycles for LN adaptions.

Technically at least Megaton Musashi (13 minute trailer) still has the necessary friction to make 2020/21 really grand for the genre. I mean, anything Level-5 touches is considered to be a real goldmine by everyone else since Youkai Watch. And, uh, for the necessary money... well, see below i guess.

« Last Edit: 20 November 2018, 13:07:15 by kato »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #645 on: 20 November 2018, 15:37:52 »
The problem is also that development cycles on mecha anime are ridiculous compared to the usual "just animate it" 18-month cycles for LN adaptions.

Technically at least Megaton Musashi (13 minute trailer) still has the necessary friction to make 2020/21 really grand for the genre. I mean, anything Level-5 touches is considered to be a real goldmine by everyone else since Youkai Watch. And, uh, for the necessary money... well, see below i guess.

Hope their still working on it.  What i could find  Megaton Musashi maybe coming 2019.   It reminds me more of a Super Robot Genre show, like RoboG in a Eva sort situation by the third movie.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

kato

• Captain
« Reply #646 on: 20 November 2018, 16:32:02 »
Hope their still working on it.  What i could find Megaton Musashi maybe coming 2019.
They announced six weeks ago that they will have news to announce for it for Jump Festa 2019 (next month), so the project is still or again very active.

It's actually mostly the rather prominent involvement of Bandai that makes it interesting. So it's basically not just Nintendo (which Level-5 really is) and Dentsu (as one of the largest advertising agencies worldwide), but also a company in the background who has been actively looking for a replacement for their still premier toy line (which brought it 100 billion yen in the last five years) since about the time that trailer was published.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #647 on: 22 November 2018, 04:36:51 »
eesh. Heavy Hit. It will take independent studios (like outside of Japan) to produce old school scifi shows.

I think that is exactly what you will see.  Likely mecha anime or anime-style shows will come out of China, Korea, or even the US.

I think gen:LOCK's success or failure will be a good test for this.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #648 on: 22 November 2018, 10:37:57 »
I hope that any future mech shows are OK. The final themes of macrooss or evangelion did not appeal much to me even if the mechs were good.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #649 on: 22 November 2018, 11:59:25 »
I hope that any future mech shows are OK. The final themes of macrooss or evangelion did not appeal much to me even if the mechs were good.
Did Argevollen appeal to you? It came out 2014, it was scifi-military thing. It wasn't bad.

Technically speaking, thinking about it. It's very much setup (the show) like Fangs of the Sun, Dougram. (except different planet thing & no planes)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #650 on: 22 November 2018, 12:18:36 »
Did Argevollen appeal to you?
Oh yeah. Crunchyroll has it but with some censorship. At least in shower scene, and I didn't watch it further than that. Disc version is free of censorship and I have it.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #651 on: 22 November 2018, 13:01:40 »
Argevollen was another great Xebec anime! Anyone who likes mecha should defimitely give it a try, it's a very fun show.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #652 on: 22 November 2018, 13:10:26 »
I will do that.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #653 on: 24 November 2018, 02:05:22 »
Me, too.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #654 on: 24 November 2018, 22:50:29 »
I really liked Argovollen except for the young male MC.  :P

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #655 on: 25 November 2018, 08:07:31 »
I really liked Argovollen except for the young male MC.  :P
At least he's not a tweenager. Or under 10 pilot as usually they seem to be nowadays.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #656 on: 25 November 2018, 09:59:23 »
At least he's not a tweenager. Or under 10 pilot as usually they seem to be nowadays.

I'll have you know she's actually several hundred years old!  ;D

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #657 on: 28 November 2018, 06:58:54 »
Annoyment - I am in Japan on vacation right now, and thus get the Japanese content of Netflix. So much to watch, but all in japanese which I don't understand. Cry!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #658 on: 28 November 2018, 07:27:24 »
That's disappointing, but it's a bit of a waste to spend your vacation watching TV anyway! If you need something to kill some time, the big bookstores oftern have English study versions of certain manga with the dialogie in both Japanese & English - you can always try to pick one up!
« Last Edit: 28 November 2018, 08:53:25 by MadCapellan »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #659 on: 28 November 2018, 07:28:19 »
Annoyment - I am in Japan on vacation right now, and thus get the Japanese content of Netflix. So much to watch, but all in japanese which I don't understand. Cry!
Is there not option change languge thing or subcaptions for NexFlix?

Register