Author Topic: Clan Blood Spirit: Get Off Our Lawn  (Read 138919 times)

Metallgewitter

• Captain
Re: Clan Blood Spirit: Get Off Our Lawn
« Reply #690 on: 03 June 2022, 12:56:47 »
If that had happened I wonder if that would have caused a new divide: rather then Crusader vs warden it would have been innovation/teamwork clans such as the wolverines,spirits, horses, coyotes, adders conflicting with more traditional and competitive clans like the jags,bears, hellions and wolfs.

Rather innovative I would call the pragmatists. Some Clans for example decided to induct former Pentagon warriors into their ranks (the spirits being one of the first with the warriors of the Helgen County as well as the Shogunate). Also the Foxes with their favoring of the merchant caste opinions. There was already a divide as some Clans began decriing those Clans as "Clan in name only". Imagine that: a Kerensky civil war between the brothers an their different view points clash overtly.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #691 on: 04 June 2022, 20:46:48 »
Honestly Nicky K most likelybwould have headed off a potential Civil War by either annihilating whatever Clan Andery joined, forced Andery into retirement, or finally called for a Trial of Possession to capture Andery for the Wolves. It would be funny if a Trial for Possession for Andery had failed and the Clan with Andery in it had gained a Winson.

"What do you mean they now have my wife?!?"
-Nicholas Kerensky
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

ErikModi

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #692 on: 06 June 2022, 20:41:50 »
So, in any of the fiction, has it been established what the Blood Spirit ceremonial masks look like?  Supposedly the other Clans wear one, representing their totem animal, but the Blood Spirits don't have a totem animal (unless you count the vampire bat made by the Burrocks).  So what does a high-ranking Blood Spirit out on their head when it's time to get all fancy?

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #693 on: 07 June 2022, 00:10:46 »
So, in any of the fiction, has it been established what the Blood Spirit ceremonial masks look like?  Supposedly the other Clans wear one, representing their totem animal, but the Blood Spirits don't have a totem animal (unless you count the vampire bat made by the Burrocks).  So what does a high-ranking Blood Spirit out on their head when it's time to get all fancy?

Mirrored black and red face plate with skin tight, shiny black and red body suit. The joke was always "The Blood Spirit Luchador costume." I think it is the thing that many are...not especially fond of.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #694 on: 08 June 2022, 07:45:59 »
Dunno if its changed, but FM:Crusader Clans describes the Blood Spirits as having 3 uniforms.

The Field uniform is black with red padded ribbing on the outside of the forearms and ribs, along with impact resistant polymer surrounding the neck and shoulders which they can attach a helmet to and black boots.

The Dress uniform is tight-fitting blood-red bodysuit from neck to knee-high boots with a liquid-like stripe running down the left side of the body from the neck. A black and red reversible cape attaches at the shoulders and is only worn by trueborns.

The Ceremonial uniform is a loose-fitting blood-red jumpsuit, tucked into calf-high red boots. Over this is worn a large cloak that encases the torso with large sleeves and a deep cowl. Its finished off with a blood-red glass mask without features or openings that covers the face. Only Bloodname may wear this.

Now there's been some fluff for the Blood Spirits, but I'm not sure if any of the details have changed.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #695 on: 08 June 2022, 14:44:01 »
The ceremonial uniform reminds me a lot of the outfit worn by the "robots" in The Black Hole.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #696 on: 08 June 2022, 18:44:42 »
With a touch of Cobra commander as well (among other things).

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #697 on: 08 June 2022, 21:02:20 »

Don't you mean, the G.I. Joe Crimson Guards? Google them...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #698 on: 08 June 2022, 22:05:51 »
Yeah, they were the other things.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #699 on: 11 June 2022, 07:48:39 »
I kind of like the plain Blood Red Mask idea. Standing around surrounded by mirrors. All equal in the eyes of the Clans. Plus you could make silly faces at your political rivals.

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #700 on: 11 June 2022, 19:46:46 »

Oh my God, how have I never put this together in all my years?
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #701 on: 11 June 2022, 21:54:11 »
Oh my God, how have I never put this together in all my years?

The best part? Gamestop sells a Cobra Commander mask and helmet. I'm thinking of getting one, painting helmet Blood Red and hand detailing on the brow the blood spirit insignia.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #702 on: 12 June 2022, 09:38:23 »
I always imagined the Blood Spirit formal masks looking like this (though the uniforms, not so much):
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #703 on: 12 June 2022, 11:03:59 »
I always imagined the Blood Spirit formal masks looking like this (though the uniforms, not so much):

I would have the masks be personalized by the mechwarrior to his own preferences. So a mechwarrior could have a mask like that if desired. Or look like he escaped from a Daft Punk video.

ErikModi

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #704 on: 12 June 2022, 17:02:03 »

I don't know. . . that looks pretty close to what I can easily imagine Clan Warriors wearing, male or female.  It's not enough to be badass, you have be seen to be badass.  Especially if you aren't actually badass.

alex blood spirit

• Sergeant
« Reply #705 on: 09 July 2022, 20:45:35 »
have the Blood Spirits consider using mechs like Warhammer Orion OR an Atlas as a aframwork for new omni mech due to there limited resources

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #706 on: 09 July 2022, 21:45:38 »
have the Blood Spirits consider using mechs like Warhammer Orion OR an Atlas as a aframwork for new omni mech due to there limited resources
As it happens, this isn't as easy as one might imagine. The latest TP Foster has a couple of early OmniMechs, based on Crabs and Black Knights, and their description indicates this was not an easy task as they weren't originally anywhere near modular, and the Night Chanter (OmniCrab) at least was kind of a failure.

For anyone with limited resources, upgrading standard 'Mechs to better standard types makes more sense, or making a completely new low-cost OmniMech.

EDIT Since the Orion was apparently relatively easy to turn into an OmniMech, the Perseus, by the Free World League, this should be doable by the Blood Spirits. But is is probable they don't have them. The Orion never got a Royal upgrade, and it  seems the Clans didn't really have them (judging by MUL availability, Star League in Exile but no specific Clans), so it isn't something the Blood Spirits would use as a base. And the Wolves could've taken offense, being Kerensky's chosen Clan and them making Orion IICs.
Warhammers seem to have been upgraded to C 3 types or replaced with IICs, and the Atlas was always rare among the Clans. Could there be suitable candidates? Sure, but probably not worth it for the Blood Spirits.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2022, 22:05:11 by Empyrus »

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #707 on: 10 July 2022, 00:27:52 »
"relatively easy" is relative.  Where did you get the FWL info? (just curious, I don't get to delve into enough fluff ... dang kids and other rl stuff)

It's also easier when someone isn't continually trialing you for anything you have (coughburrockscough)

Personally I'd go with the Black Knight and call it a Blood Knight ... but that's neither here nor there.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #708 on: 10 July 2022, 09:55:16 »
As it happens, this isn't as easy as one might imagine. The latest TP Foster has a couple of early OmniMechs, based on Crabs and Black Knights, and their description indicates this was not an easy task as they weren't originally anywhere near modular, and the Night Chanter (OmniCrab) at least was kind of a failure.

For anyone with limited resources, upgrading standard 'Mechs to better standard types makes more sense, or making a completely new low-cost OmniMech.

EDIT Since the Orion was apparently relatively easy to turn into an OmniMech, the Perseus, by the Free World League, this should be doable by the Blood Spirits. But is is probable they don't have them. The Orion never got a Royal upgrade, and it  seems the Clans didn't really have them (judging by MUL availability, Star League in Exile but no specific Clans), so it isn't something the Blood Spirits would use as a base. And the Wolves could've taken offense, being Kerensky's chosen Clan and them making Orion IICs.
Warhammers seem to have been upgraded to C 3 types or replaced with IICs, and the Atlas was always rare among the Clans. Could there be suitable candidates? Sure, but probably not worth it for the Blood Spirits.

You can see some of the reasoning as to why the Orion was never really updated to an OmniMech in the Orion IIC entry in TRO: 3060.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #709 on: 10 July 2022, 09:59:07 »
"relatively easy" is relative.  Where did you get the FWL info? (just curious, I don't get to delve into enough fluff ... dang kids and other rl stuff)
The Perseus entry in FMFWL and TRO3067. The Perseus is based on the Orion and there's no mention of the it being a difficult conversion, unlike the Night Chanter entry in TPFoster.

And this reminds me, many of the Kuritan OmniMechs were based on Inner Sphere chassis: The Owens from the Jenner, the Strider from the Cicada, the Firestarter Omni from the Firestarter, the Blackjack Omni from the Blackjack... These all were done in relatively quickly, especially considering that the Kuritans aren't exactly technical wizard and were working with captured tech, not something they developed on their own (though i suppose the Clans had troubleshooted most Omni stuff centuries ago).
So, i suppose the actual base model matters a lot. So it becomes a question what options would the Blood Spirits have available, perhaps.

Of course, as you point out, being constantly under attack makes developing new stuff tricky.

As it happens, the Spirit Walker is based on the Black Knight... And good news for the Blood Spirits, they get it, until their very end.

You can see some of the reasoning as to why the Orion was never really updated to an OmniMech in the Orion IIC entry in TRO: 3060.
The Perseus is an OmniOrion, but i suppose the Orion was too revered among the Clans, not like the FWL has such inhibitions.
« Last Edit: 10 July 2022, 10:01:29 by Empyrus »

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #710 on: 10 July 2022, 10:12:32 »
The Perseus is an OmniOrion, but i suppose the Orion was too revered among the Clans, not like the FWL has such inhibitions.

Yes, that is a big part of it.  From TRO: 3060:

As Aleksandr Kerensky’s chosen BattleMech, the original Orion held a special place within the Clans, especially Clan Wolf. Out of respect for the Great Father, the Clans maintained the design for several decades despite the invention of newer technologies.

For a Clan such as the Blood Spirits this would prevent them from ever considering updating the Orion.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #711 on: 10 July 2022, 10:16:44 »
For a Clan such as the Blood Spirits this would prevent them from ever considering updating the Orion.
I wonder if this would extent to the Atlas, since Nicky K rode an Atlas II? Or would this be limited to the Atlas II?

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #712 on: 10 July 2022, 12:45:36 »
I wonder if this would extent to the Atlas, since Nicky K rode an Atlas II? Or would this be limited to the Atlas II?

According to Legends, after Nicholas’ death, his Atlas II remains in a place of honor in the museum annex to the Great Hall of the Clans, watched over by the Ebon Keshik.  However, with Nicholas not dying until 25+ years after the Clans' founding, I would imagine any technical knowledge that could have been gleaned from his Atlas II had already been gathered and put to use.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #713 on: 10 July 2022, 12:54:47 »
I was thinking using the Atlas/Atlas II chassis as a basis for an OmniMech. Is that fine or unacceptable? Since Orion getting tweaked is kind of a no-no except for the Wolves...
Technical knowledge seems irrelevant.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #714 on: 11 July 2022, 10:10:50 »
Atlas II did show up in the 3050 invasion. Ghost Bears used them in there second line forces.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #715 on: 11 July 2022, 11:05:25 »
There's a difference between using them and modifying them though. At least the Clans kinda seem to think so.

Incidentally Blood Spirits probably should have Atlas IIs as well, as the design is HW General in MUL.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #716 on: 11 July 2022, 13:45:55 »
Atlas? ... Stick with the Blood Kite, Bro's!  45 LRMs, 3 ER LL, 12 SRMs ... we've got range, over lapping range, short range, and OMG-Alpha-Strike covered. (Era dependent of course ... go prototype and use improved versions of LRMs, LL and then SRM2s)

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #717 on: 11 July 2022, 14:03:14 »
You know, back to what if's ...

Say CBS was allowed to absorb the Burrocks, I think it would have given us some headache with the mainline warriors, but that would be a tremendous resource boost with a lot of warriors to direct towards other trials (basically what CSA did, too).

Also, it would have helped un-bloat the Adders.  Possibly have a better relationship with the Cobras.  Ability to better cement alliances with the Mandrills and Ravens, not loose a ton of Crimson Hawk production to the Sharks ... give enough of a push to have the Wars of Reaving go askew from where they went.

of course, all pending that our leadership didn't still go rotten bananas.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #718 on: 12 July 2022, 10:42:40 »
You know, back to what if's ...

Say CBS was allowed to absorb the Burrocks, I think it would have given us some headache with the mainline warriors, but that would be a tremendous resource boost with a lot of warriors to direct towards other trials (basically what CSA did, too).

Also, it would have helped un-bloat the Adders.  Possibly have a better relationship with the Cobras.  Ability to better cement alliances with the Mandrills and Ravens, not loose a ton of Crimson Hawk production to the Sharks ... give enough of a push to have the Wars of Reaving go askew from where they went.

of course, all pending that our leadership didn't still go rotten bananas.

Lol, it always boils down the Karianna Schmitt.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #719 on: 17 July 2022, 04:55:55 »

This is one of those things you have to look at for the Blood Spirits: their lack of resources greatly effected a number of things about them.
They would use Endo-Steel more than Ferro-Fibrous armor, because armor was expected to take damage, and, while Ferro might over-all cost less in building the 'mech, it both gained less weight for the 'mech, and cost more to replace in the long term. Blood Spirit also prefered simpler missile systems and, until the invention of the Protomech AC, *generally* echewed ballistic in favour of energy weapons. And then, you come down to Omni-Mechs. While Blood Spirit *did* have OmniMech capability, and did manufacture a few of them(especially the Kingfisher and the Stooping Hawk), they did not produce that many, instead relying on the standardization that making conventional BattleMechs brought. If they were to do anything with a Warhammer or Atlas frame, it would be convert them into Clan Tech machines. I would expect a Blood Spirit Warhammer to have ER Larges instead of ER PPCs, just because it seems that Blood Spirit actually has a liking for those. However, Heavy Large Lasers, Heavy Mediums, and Double Sinks could change a Warhammer in significant ways, as much as an Atlas could be changed by a brace of PACs and Heavy Lasers. Blood Spirits could easily take these old chassis and do horrific things with them...but to convert them into an Omni would cost way more than making an "Upgrade Kit" would.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)