Author Topic: Clan Blood Spirit: Get Off Our Lawn  (Read 140453 times)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Re: Clan Blood Spirit: Get Off Our Lawn
« Reply #720 on: 17 July 2022, 20:44:54 »
Blood Spirits might also use Star League era Battlemechs unmodified particularly if they were Royals. Many Royals are a match for Second Line Clan Battlemechs pretty easily. Particularly they might be a reward for up and coming Ristars as a sign of the Clana favor rather than a rarer Omnimech.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #721 on: 17 July 2022, 21:40:37 »
have the Blood Spirits consider using mechs like Warhammer Orion OR an Atlas as a aframwork for new omni mech due to there limited resources

Someone already mentioned the Wolves’ personal attachment to the Orion.  In the case of the Warhammer, the Clans have arguably already used it as the basis for the Hellbringer omni.  The Atlas strikes me as an expensive start to designing a new omni, which is not the Spirits’ schtick. 

I’d aim for something more pedestrian, like an Archer.  Thanks to Clan missile launchers weighing half the Spheroid versions, you can just double the Archer’s launchers, convert to freezers to deal with heat, drop a couple lasers for more ammo, convert the rest to ER models and be done.  If you want, you can fiddle with smaller launchers or endo or ferro for even more ammo.  But it’s a cheap way to put something in the touman that can throw 80 LRMs a turn at Clan heavy cav, take a licking, and keep on ticking.  Alternate configs can focus on SRMs, Arrow IV, etc.
« Last Edit: 17 July 2022, 21:53:28 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #722 on: 17 July 2022, 22:55:32 »
I’d aim for something more pedestrian, like an Archer.

The Archer C was retconned in RG:ilClan v10...

Archer C 2 mounts SSRM-4's, MPLs and DHS...

But what I like is the Archer Wolf...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
« Reply #723 on: 17 July 2022, 23:52:27 »
The Archer C was retconned in RG:ilClan v10...

Archer C 2 mounts SSRM-4's, MPLs and DHS...

But what I like is the Archer Wolf...

TT

I was going for a cheap omni and something smarter than spending weight savings on single heat sinks.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #724 on: 18 July 2022, 03:46:57 »
Blood Spirits might also use Star League era Battlemechs unmodified particularly if they were Royals. Many Royals are a match for Second Line Clan Battlemechs pretty easily. Particularly they might be a reward for up and coming Ristars as a sign of the Clana favor rather than a rarer Omnimech.

This is something that somehow puzzles me every time I read "New mech beats old mech". If we take for example a Royal Mech and simply update this mech wiith Clan tech wouldn't that be in essence a good competition to any Clan Mech regardless if it is Secondline or Omni (depending on the pilot of course). Or is my thinking too simple? Yes Omnis can be reconfiured on the fly (well basically) but for example a Royal Warhammer with Clan tech should be a good match against Omnis of the same weight class

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #725 on: 20 July 2022, 15:09:35 »
Any mech with IS Missile Launchers is immediately improved by replacing them with Clan Missile Launchers. Same can be argued with Lasers but they have huge heat burdens so swapping them out means you REALLY want DHS. Royal mechs would be a good swap for these things because many already have DHS.

Would they be as good as Omni’s? Probably not but they’d be very effective second line machines for relatively cheap effort.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #726 on: 20 July 2022, 17:20:47 »
And the Blood Spirits probably had a lot of SL era designs from there early days as well as what they got from the Snow Ravens when they traded there warships fortunately Clans older Battlemechs.

Starfury

• Lieutenant
« Reply #727 on: 22 July 2022, 20:58:30 »
The Blood Spirits would aim for designs that don't require a lot of maintenance to maintain or are easily convertible.  Their Omnimechs reflect that. The Crimsom Langur ended up being a joint experiment with the Fire Mandrills which was a fast deviation from the normal no XL based units the Spirits typically favor. The Stooping Hawk is a good example of a Spirit OOmni design. Endo Steel construction, medium speed, solid configs, fixed jump jets for all around mobility.

Other Omni designs they favor are things like the Kingfisher, the Battle Cobra, the Crossbow, or the Nova. Anything that only carries 1 or two weight savings at maximum with efficient amounts of pod space. For second line units that have no current Clan conversions, i suggest the following

Crockett
Thorn
Mercury
Stalker
Crusader
Starslayer
Sentinel
Crab
Ostroc
Hornet (iffy given the Thorn)
Shootist
Kyudo
Catapult
Mackie
Thug
Chameleon
Longbow.
Black Knight

All of these designs use little to no weight saving tech, punch decent or even well above their weight class, and are built to last. They also mostly carry at least one of the Spirit's favorite weapons, the SRM 4, the Large Laser, o the LRM-15. 

alex blood spirit

• Sergeant
« Reply #728 on: 10 August 2022, 16:10:03 »
Were the Blood Spirits leaders in any technology

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #729 on: 10 August 2022, 16:23:45 »
Nope, as the Blood Spirits were a rather poor Clan. The Blood Spirits generally made do with lower tech 'Mechs out of necessity. And their attitude also emphasized abilities over technology.

I would imagine the Blood Spirits were good at maintaining what they got, and recycling stuff even more so that other Clans, out of necessity.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #730 on: 10 August 2022, 17:18:19 »

They did make proto tech their specialty so I would say they definitely became leaders in both proto units and the proto phenotype

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
« Reply #731 on: 10 August 2022, 17:26:44 »

The Spirits did not invent, but were arguably a leader in, protomech technology.  For the second generation of protomechs (the designs that did not originate with either the Jaguars or the Society/Spheroid Clans), the Spirits are the only Clan responsible for more than one design:  the Cecerops and the Chrysaor (with the Ravens).  And they developed a phenotype for protomech warriors.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #732 on: 10 August 2022, 17:48:13 »
Oh, right, i forgot the ProtoMechs completely. Also the ProtoMech AC a Blood Spirit creation per TacOps.

EDIT Looking at Interstellar Operations (old version) tech table, in addition to the PACs, the Blood Spirits were co-creators of ProtoMech Myomer Boosters (with Ice Hellions), creators of ProtoMech Partial Wing (though finished version was by Snow Ravens), ProtoMech UMUs (see a trend here?), ProtoMech Cubicles for ships, and Clan Battle Armor Heat Sensor and Improved Sensors. 
« Last Edit: 10 August 2022, 17:52:57 by Empyrus »

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #733 on: 11 August 2022, 17:10:00 »
The fact the Blood Spirits were the Clan to come up with a Proto Phenotype says a lot of what they had planned long term. They were willing to spend rescources on a unproven phenotype because they were using Protomechs so heavily or planned to use it even heavier in the future if not for the WoR. I think the Spirits were the only Clan to field pure Protomechs as well. Which is a lot of shots per Point much less Star.

alex blood spirit

• Sergeant
« Reply #734 on: 12 August 2022, 18:57:20 »
After Operation K;omdike how many planets did the Blood Spirits have

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #735 on: 13 August 2022, 06:46:59 »
Immediately after Klondike?  Just their enclaves on Strana Mechty and Arcadia. The rest of the Kerensky Cluster hadn't been explored or colonized yet.  They would eventually have York, and parts of Foster & one of the Burrock planets (either Albion or Priori.  I think it's Albion).
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #736 on: 13 August 2022, 09:30:42 »
Blood Spirits never really were a large Clan even early on. They were so focused on aiding other Clans that there rescources never really caught up enough to build up enough to compete.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #737 on: 13 August 2022, 18:26:20 »
Blood Spirits never really were a large Clan even early on. They were so focused on aiding other Clans that there rescources never really caught up enough to build up enough to compete.

Not to mention all the stravag backstabbers who made the Blood Spirits isolationist didn’t help.

alex blood spirit

• Sergeant
« Reply #738 on: 13 August 2022, 20:13:39 »
i know they did some exploring they territory on Foster and Sheridon. Foster teritory was traded to the Mabndrills

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #739 on: 19 September 2022, 14:51:07 »
So I ended up with a spare Nightstar from one of the force packs with no idea where to put it.  While the Nightstar doesn't appear on the MUL for us going into the later eras, I figured it's a legacy SLDF design -- we've got plenty of those still in the touman.  I know, I know, "play you want" but would it make sense to have a surviving Nighstar hanging out in a front-line cluster?
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #740 on: 19 September 2022, 15:59:41 »
So I ended up with a spare Nightstar from one of the force packs with no idea where to put it.  While the Nightstar doesn't appear on the MUL for us going into the later eras, I figured it's a legacy SLDF design -- we've got plenty of those still in the touman.  I know, I know, "play you want" but would it make sense to have a surviving Nighstar hanging out in a front-line cluster?

The Blood Spirits are desperate for any equipment, especially post-Burrock Absorption.  That's why they started churning out ProtoMechs. Delving into deep storage for a pretty decent Assault chassis would be only prudent, especially once the Star Adders start landing on York.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #741 on: 19 September 2022, 19:41:52 »
Any SL design that left with the Exodus is fair game!

You can run the NSJ (right? hold on, checking ... oops) NSR as is or do a few retrofits, or complete weapons swap.  Just with weapons updates you get +7 tons.  Ammo, DHS for perfect curve, etc.

I think it would be a great design for your CBS touman.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #742 on: 20 September 2022, 09:32:40 »
Star of Royal BLR-1Gb using clantech being lead by a Royal BLR-1Gbc Red Corsair?

I jest...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #743 on: 20 September 2022, 17:49:25 »
Star of Royal BLR-1Gb using clantech being lead by a Royal BLR-1Gbc Red Corsair?

I jest...

TT

But……?

I too have seen the sweet new battle master.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #744 on: 20 September 2022, 21:51:46 »
Isn't that the Battlemaster C 2?
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #745 on: 20 September 2022, 21:57:36 »
Nope, based off the old BLR-1Gb model... 1Gbc was the command counsel model.

C 2 was the production modelof the Red Coarsair...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #746 on: 12 October 2022, 09:24:51 »
Just needs that extra PPC.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #747 on: 12 October 2022, 13:25:15 »

I can’t imagine a resource strapped clan like the spirits having mint condition unmodified SLDF mechs especially when they really suffered during the golden century I have to imagine they would have made a bunch of Frankenstein mods or simple weapon swaps to clan spec

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #748 on: 15 October 2022, 21:17:44 »
I can’t imagine a resource strapped clan like the spirits having mint condition unmodified SLDF mechs especially when they really suffered during the golden century I have to imagine they would have made a bunch of Frankenstein mods or simple weapon swaps to clan spec

No, sadly it would be a stretch unless they opened up some Brian Cache they had luckily found untouched for centuries. About the only examples I could think of would be ceremonial or museum mechs. I could the Blood Spirits maintaining the original forty Warriors Mechs for example.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #749 on: 16 October 2022, 07:52:13 »
resource poor vs periphery resource poor are two different things.  Also their techs (all clans imo) are highly skilled and have access to much better training than we might give them credit for.

my .02 C$, resource poor indicates their ability to produce omnimechs, not necessarily outfit them.  Also they would streamline their weapons instead of having tons of choices (ERLL, LRM15 for example).  Other systems are still available, but won't be as wide spread. 

"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."