Register Register

Author Topic: This Was Easier on the Tabletop - a Battletech SI Fic  (Read 59297 times)

cawest

• Lieutenant
Re: This Was Easier on the Tabletop - a Battletech SI Fic
« Reply #510 on: 27 April 2020, 01:06:23 »
I just can not wait to see when more Lvl two tech hits the "scene" 

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #511 on: 27 April 2020, 01:23:52 »
Liao's on the ropes, and heading for "Sic Semper Tyrannus".

Combine's about to go fratricidal.

Free Worlds is trying to resist snatching victory from the jaws of indifference, with another civil war being warmed up.

Who needs L2 tech? :)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Artifex

• Corporal
« Reply #512 on: 27 April 2020, 04:07:03 »
Jesus, what a series of posts! Excellent work here Chris!  :thumbsup:

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #513 on: 27 April 2020, 06:10:11 »
Excellent stuff! Superbly written as always and the Confederacy is about to become the centre of a feeding frenzy, couldn't happen to a nicer bunch!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #514 on: 27 April 2020, 06:50:11 »
And Ridzik got splattered because Hanse didn't need him, I wonder what Ardan will be doing since there is no need for him to be his handler and oversee the absorbtion of Tikonov republic. Sure, AFFS will have to take a few more worlds by force, but this is balanced by FWL involvement.
Shoot first, laugh later.

paulobrito

• Sergeant
« Reply #515 on: 27 April 2020, 07:51:10 »
Superb story with amazing writing.  :thumbsup:

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #516 on: 27 April 2020, 16:55:21 »
Needs more Blood to interfere...

After all... Comstar would want to talk to this Mr. Smith...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #517 on: 27 April 2020, 21:20:51 »
That's TWO nights in a row you've kept me up past bed time... well done!  :thumbsup:

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #518 on: 27 April 2020, 22:31:46 »
I really enjoy the "excerpts" from the various textbooks.  A nice way to advance the plot where Smith isn't personally involved.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #519 on: 28 April 2020, 23:14:22 »
I just can not wait to see when more Lvl two tech hits the "scene"

Technically they are as Freezers are now in full serial production on Heph II (and a new line is about to go live on Wernke) and the proliferation is steadily ramping up.
It's just that at the start of the war (and thanks to the Dragoons sucking down a lot of their supply including most of the loose units from Helm and the first production runs) excepting the Dragoons, you didn't see more than a few scattered elites with that kind of gear. And so it was easy to put it down to, in the eyes of the intel people, components from Helm being spread around (the Dragoons tended to stomp the other side so bad not that much intel actually got out as to their superior machines) to elites.

When wave 4 of Rat hits however, Hanse has actually used the time to ensure several shipments of Freezers from Defiance have been packaged as refit kits, as targeted as possible to Mechs that can be so much more critical tactically with them. So, Awesome and Flashmen, Lucifers (my God the pilots now almost don't cry when they strap into one!), Warhammers and so on. Probably 10% of the AFFS Mech fleet involved in RAT are running Freezers now which may not sound like much, but in the right place at the right time....

The LCAF are somewhat in the same boat - but will be doing rolling upgrades going forward and focusing them key spearhead units so most units will still have zero, some units will be running much more though.

And Ridzik got splattered because Hanse didn't need him, I wonder what Ardan will be doing since there is no need for him to be his handler and oversee the absorbtion of Tikonov republic. Sure, AFFS will have to take a few more worlds by force, but this is balanced by FWL involvement.

Ardan is on New Sytris. Currently, pulling everything together as the last of Michaels genuine loyalists are either retired, transferred or otherwise sidelined with fresh blood promoted or otherwise put into place. He's for all intents and purposes the acting Field Marshal of the Capellan March (and hating Hanse for having shoved him into this mess while at the same time quietly happy he doesn't have to deal with Ridzik in this timeline as he wouldn't be sure of not simply capping his ass on first sight). Not to mention having to explain to MHDs wife that he was actually a huge traitor who Hanse has enough data on to have shot on the spot and that Morgan has all but disowned at this point...

He's getting things ready for the Capellan March Command units to kick into the war in wave 5 with three battle groups focused at Menke (Capellan Dragoons; a feint hid-and-run to draw in any remaining reaction forces but hopefully catch any trace of the Big MAC remaining on planet that might be hanging around), Necromo (llician Lancers group; a primary target) and Grand Base (The Crushers in the lead).

That's about as much as the Jumpships can support given events.
"I, the Baron of Strang, care not for your new names. Clans? Jade Falcons? I call you by your true name: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will, persecutors of the Periphery come back to lord it over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans!"

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

ThePW

• Warrant Officer
  • One post down, a thousand to go...
« Reply #520 on: 28 April 2020, 23:58:43 »
Is Hanse's goals larger in this SI AU? Are we gonna see a truly gelded CC?

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #521 on: 29 April 2020, 01:52:52 »
 :thumbsup:  nice updates
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

pete879

• Recruit
« Reply #522 on: 29 April 2020, 11:24:28 »
Is Hanse's goals larger in this SI AU? Are we gonna see a truly gelded CC?

Given the forewarning he has about the Chaos March I believe he wants to make sure the CC is well and truly done for to avoid such unrest down the road.

Red Pins

• Captain
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #523 on: 29 April 2020, 21:40:30 »
Since the FWL is starting to peck at them, you'll know it's the end when the MoC and TC start in on them. We might also see the first units abandoning the CC for the Periphery of going pirate.  If that happens, it's all over.

We might start seeing some of the 'Special Weapons', nukes and biowarfare depending on how they deal with Max Max and the rest of them.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
Glitter - the herpes of the craft supply world.

Register