Author Topic: Noob Qustion: Gray Death Legion Battle Armor  (Read 4363 times)

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
Noob Qustion: Gray Death Legion Battle Armor
« on: 30 September 2018, 15:08:00 »
I was assembling some of what I thought were Grey Death Standard (Flamer, MG and Laser/LRR) models for my mercenary force, but after a second look at IWM's site they appear to be Gray Death Legion BA. Now I'm super confused because there are no "Gray Death Legion Battle Armor" in any of the TROs. Is this BA kit supposed to be Gray Death Scout Armor? Or are they something else?

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
Re: Noob Qustion: Gray Death Legion Battle Armor
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2018, 15:52:31 »
They're the GDL Scout BA.

GDL Standard BA are here: http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=4119

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2018, 16:03:48 »
Thanks, I kinda figured they were, but they are the same size as IS Standard and have 3 different weapon arms so when I bought them I just assumed they were Standard since Scout doesn't have integrated weapons.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2018, 17:07:21 »
Given GDL Scout armor is fluffed as using hand gloves & only being able to carry standard Infantry Weapons,  well,  I find it hard to buy into those minis being the "Scout" model, LOL.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2018, 17:40:26 »
The only problem Hellraiser, is that the GD Standard that IWM sells clearly has the anti-infantry mount on the other arm and the only thing the GDL armor looks like is Scout.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2018, 17:43:13 »
Given GDL Scout armor is fluffed as using hand gloves & only being able to carry standard Infantry Weapons,  well,  I find it hard to buy into those minis being the "Scout" model, LOL.
Do you buy into the artwork showing the "scout" model?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2018, 22:28:17 »
Oh I get that the new model that IW has now made for the "Standard", 20 years later, is the "Standard"

But lets face it that artwork for the scout has never matched what the scout is supposed to have in its arms.

And I've always found it odd that the original GDL boxed BA didn't clarify if it was Scout or Standard & clearly has Modular Weapons which match the standard.

That original GDL picture in red has always had features that fit both the standard & the scout variants.

Its like the artist didn't know what he was drawing.

And then the boxed minis match it but its art that doesn't match the fluff for either suit.

So while its great that we now have a "Standard" mini that you purchase singles of that clearly matches what its supposed to look like, we still have that funky looking "Scout" picture & a bunch of minis that no one wants to use in the dozens.

Heck, if you look at FMMercs the caption doesn't even call it the Scout & instead seems to refer to it being their upgrade of "Standard IS BA".

I know that NOW, 20 years later its the scout, but I'm saying that when that art was made & the original mini produced, to me, it would make sense that they were making the standard based on the fact that it was the only one w/ a mini & the caption doesn't call it the scout.
« Last Edit: 30 September 2018, 22:47:25 by Hellraiser »

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 19 October 2018, 00:35:43 »
Do you buy into the artwork showing the "scout" model?

In regards to the idea that this isn't supposed to be the scout armor.

You can see what appears to be the actual Scout armor on Page 134 of the FM:Mercs

Its a black & white sketch, with distinctive hands in armored gloves & holding a rifle, it clearly has less armor plating, & is on the same page as the Scout Armor stats.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 19 October 2018, 09:36:56 »
In regards to the idea that this isn't supposed to be the scout armor.
The picture I posted is the canon scout armor, and is supposed to be the canon scout armor. Anything else is non-canon. Obviously the official (canon) miniatures won't match your personal opinion.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 19 October 2018, 22:02:28 »
Page 134 isn't my opinion.  Nor is it NON-canon.

Its a drawing of light battle armor right next to the Scout Stats.  And matches those stats.

Meanwhile the Color photo you linked has nothing labeling it as Scout & actually describes the Standard BA as being Identical to IS but more streamlined & comfortable with added AP weapon.

Nothing like the Ground Movement only w/ Sensors BA stats that we got in 3058U some 7 years later.

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 20 October 2018, 00:27:14 »
This thread is being locked. The question was "what do the miniatures represent?" and that's been answered in the first post.

Your welcome to message Speck privately to ask about the issue with the miniatures, which I recommend OP do.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"