Author Topic: HBS Expansion Thread- its time for II (spoilers)  (Read 169559 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: HBS Expansion Thread- its time for II (spoilers)
« Reply #1410 on: 01 February 2021, 00:27:35 »
Agreed, I enjoyed that solo fight quite a bit.  The Hatchetman was perfect.  Would have been even better if I had an LBX-10, but hey, nothing's perfect.

I like giving the Hatchetman max armor and jump jets, +++Leg Mods that reduce damage (allowing me to DFA with no damage to myself), and a battery of ERSL++s.  That way, I can either hatchet the bad guys or DFA them, then double down with the support weapon array. 
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #1411 on: 02 February 2021, 21:56:12 »
I’ve managed to capture two Hatchetmen so far, but in both cases... no hatchets.
So one I still in storage and the other is a stripped done chassis in the Mechbay, taking up space.

Every planet I’ve dropped into so far has not had a hatchet for sale

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1412 on: 02 February 2021, 22:32:25 »
I didn't realize that the hatchet was rendered as a distinct piece of equipment in the game.

I thought it was just a part of the mech's arm due to the limitations of the game engine.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1413 on: 02 February 2021, 23:22:04 »
I believe the hatchet is fixed special equipment, like the command computer in the Marauder or Cyclops.  It's functionally equivalent to an Arm Mod +++, but takes up less space, and you can't move it around.  So, if you're feeling particularly brutal, you can fill all the arm space with Arm Mods of various shapes to maximize your damage when you do hatchet your foe. 
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #1414 on: 03 February 2021, 02:31:11 »
I believe the hatchet is fixed special equipment, like the command computer in the Marauder or Cyclops.  It's functionally equivalent to an Arm Mod +++, but takes up less space, and you can't move it around.  So, if you're feeling particularly brutal, you can fill all the arm space with Arm Mods of various shapes to maximize your damage when you do hatchet your foe.

You’re kidding... that Hatchetman has been just sitting there in the hanger doing nothing and all this time....

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1415 on: 03 February 2021, 10:37:34 »
You’re kidding... that Hatchetman has been just sitting there in the hanger doing nothing and all this time....

This is correct--unless you are running some very specific mods, all your hatchetman have the hatchet built into the right arm.  Just pull them out and configure.  If memory serves, the really bonkers variant is the 3X, which has a bunch of support hardpoints that you can fill with MG's, Small Lasers, or flamers and make a short range murder variant.  Not very flexible, but incredibly fun to wreck shop with.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #1416 on: 03 February 2021, 14:39:10 »
I actually burned through a ton of ammo with a full load of +5 shot mgs

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1417 on: 03 February 2021, 15:30:57 »
I love the -0.5 ton MGs.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #1418 on: 03 February 2021, 18:44:53 »
This is correct--unless you are running some very specific mods, all your hatchetman have the hatchet built into the right arm.  Just pull them out and configure.  If memory serves, the really bonkers variant is the 3X, which has a bunch of support hardpoints that you can fill with MG's, Small Lasers, or flamers and make a short range murder variant.  Not very flexible, but incredibly fun to wreck shop with.

Yep... now running a Hatcheman in my pursuit lance. It had its first outing last night.

paulobrito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1419 on: 03 February 2021, 18:52:59 »
For me, I use the BEX-CE / BTX / Extended 3025-57.
Includes several new FPs, Clan invasion, new nations, like the FRR, OWA, The new, advanced mechs and weapons only appear at the correct time, etc.
Very stable, with plenty of other-mods working with the core system (improved/extended contracts hubs for example).
Is the one that respects more the Lore and time progression by a wide margin.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1420 on: 03 February 2021, 23:11:19 »
I still haven't been able to download the first one, even when I have the keys from being a backer...

My system is so slow, until it crashed ( Damn feline overlord! )... and of course I got a new computer that well... I don't have enough bandwith to play on.

Do you think it would work on a X Box 1? ( After all it is a computer... )

If that can be had... I'd pay for the data next check! ( might be two weeks, gotta dig it out of storage first, if I remember which corner it's in... and move some heavy stuff to reach it first!  xp

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1421 on: 04 February 2021, 03:13:28 »
Hey, is there any point in keeping the PPC Cicada?  There any way to mod that into being a useful mech?  The ballistic hardpoints seem pointless because it lacks the tonnage to use an autocannon, it's only got one energy hardpoint, and only four support weapon hardpoints.  I salvaged one a little bit ago but I can't really figure out anything to do with it.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1422 on: 04 February 2021, 11:18:12 »
Could use it as a coil laser carrier.  I used one modded out with full jump, a med laser and the rest into armor to get an achievement where you use a single mech to complete a mission.

Hey, is there any point in keeping the PPC Cicada?  There any way to mod that into being a useful mech?  The ballistic hardpoints seem pointless because it lacks the tonnage to use an autocannon, it's only got one energy hardpoint, and only four support weapon hardpoints.  I salvaged one a little bit ago but I can't really figure out anything to do with it.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2021, 12:55:12 by Luciora »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1423 on: 04 February 2021, 12:37:00 »
Hmm, haven't seen any coil lasers yet.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #1424 on: 04 February 2021, 17:47:25 »
Could use it as a coil laser carrier.  I used one modded out with full jump, a med laser and the rest into armor to get an achievement where you use a single mech to complete a mission.

I found a Jenner with a single large coil laser and extra armour to be a great scout & sniper. I'd normally only shoot every other turn, but 105pt called shots are brutal  >:D
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1425 on: 04 February 2021, 19:24:55 »
Man, I need to find a planet that sells Coil guns.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #1426 on: 04 February 2021, 21:31:03 »
So, riddle me this - you’ve completed the campaign and you’re now playing through the Flashpoints.
So you’re going to have some fancy rides (Atlas II, SLDF Highlander and a bunch of assault Mechs).
You’ve also got some elite pilots.

But I’ve also got a light/medium lance and hired up some newbies with the idea that a) j can slowly train them up to also be an elite scout/recon lance and b) have some fun with light Mechs to get away from the Grind that is “assault lance v heavy company... boom, boom, bang!”.

But for the life of me - I can’t find any planets offering low skull contacts. The best I’ve seen are a handful of three skulls. And when I tried to roll on them with a light lance, I got the “you’re picking way too low a tonnage, boss” message from the XO.

I’m just seeking a couple planets for training missions to get some green pilots in light Mechs up to speed

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1427 on: 04 February 2021, 22:29:55 »
Why are you trying to train green pilots in light mechs?

Why not stick them in heavies and assaults?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1428 on: 04 February 2021, 22:50:54 »
So, riddle me this - you’ve completed the campaign and you’re now playing through the Flashpoints.
So you’re going to have some fancy rides (Atlas II, SLDF Highlander and a bunch of assault Mechs).
You’ve also got some elite pilots.

But I’ve also got a light/medium lance and hired up some newbies with the idea that a) j can slowly train them up to also be an elite scout/recon lance and b) have some fun with light Mechs to get away from the Grind that is “assault lance v heavy company... boom, boom, bang!”.

But for the life of me - I can’t find any planets offering low skull contacts. The best I’ve seen are a handful of three skulls. And when I tried to roll on them with a light lance, I got the “you’re picking way too low a tonnage, boss” message from the XO.

I’m just seeking a couple planets for training missions to get some green pilots in light Mechs up to speed

I tend to train my greenies up by pairing them with one or two of my elites in tricked-out murder machines (while also putting the greenies in fully armored tricked-out murder machines), and let the greenies provide supporting fire while my A-team one-shots most of the enemies with alpha-strikes to the cockpit (Marauder 2Rs are great for this).

paulobrito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1429 on: 05 February 2021, 03:57:30 »
In vanilla, after you finish the campaign don't exist low skull planets.
In BEX-CE / BTX / Extended 3025-57 if you go the campaign path, after ending the campaign just save the game, exit, and reload and the planets have reset to start values.
BEX-CE / BTX / Extended 3025-57 is the same supermod, is just called one of those ways.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #1430 on: 21 February 2021, 16:09:16 »
I'll stick one green pilot in with three vets and it seems to work out pretty well. 

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1431 on: 21 February 2021, 16:18:07 »
I have a Highlander that I modded the .json so it could theoretically carry the loadout of the Mauler.  2 LRM10+++ and 4 UAC/++ means it wrecks mechs at range.  The 2 arm medium lasers are there just to add insult to injury.  I stick greenies in it to get them to level up faster.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #1432 on: 23 February 2021, 22:48:31 »
Well, seeing how it doesn't matter what a pilot actually does in a mission (Get all the kills/basically do nothing. They all get the same experience just for participating.), I stick the noob I'm trying to level up in a missile boat and keep him/her in the back.
I have spoken.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1433 on: 24 February 2021, 12:32:57 »
Well, seeing how it doesn't matter what a pilot actually does in a mission (Get all the kills/basically do nothing. They all get the same experience just for participating.), I stick the noob I'm trying to level up in a missile boat and keep him/her in the back.

The late game trick I found for leveling noobs is to stick them in an assault in the back.  Stick two vets in the 3 UAC marauder variant in front and headshot galore in front.  It feels very, very cheap but is pretty damn effective for both salvage and leveling XP. 

Having targeting computers for the lurms helps your noobs get hits as well, as I'm sure everyone here already knows!

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #1434 on: 03 March 2021, 16:26:16 »
So how long has Victoria had that devastating blow ability?  I admit it's been quite a while since the last time I played through the story campaign but holy crap suddenly my crack gunner can't hit the broad side of a barn.  That's some whacky stuff right there and how can I get some?  :)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1435 on: 03 March 2021, 16:29:54 »
I'm pretty sure that's just a boss-only ability that she gets the second time you face her.  Only way to get it yourself is with mods.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #1436 on: 03 March 2021, 17:39:40 »
I'm pretty sure that's just a boss-only ability that she gets the second time you face her.  Only way to get it yourself is with mods.

Yeah, I figured it was a boss ability but I played though the store campaign at least a half dozen times pre-expansions but I never remembered seeing that ability before.  Since the expansions started coming out I've pretty much stuck to playing career mode so I figured it was something "new" from one of the expansions. 

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #1437 on: 03 March 2021, 17:49:16 »
Yeah, I figured it was a boss ability but I played though the store campaign at least a half dozen times pre-expansions but I never remembered seeing that ability before.  Since the expansions started coming out I've pretty much stuck to playing career mode so I figured it was something "new" from one of the expansions.

It was, though I also forget exactly when they added it. They definitely made that last fight feel a little more epic than it was originally! I played through again a few months ago after not having done the campaign since right after release.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1438 on: 04 March 2021, 02:53:22 »
Natasha and the Bounty Hunter also have unique special abilities that can really mess up your team.  The first time I did that encounter, I hid on a ridge and pelted anyone that came in sight with long range fire, then finally descended to finish off the survivors once both battling lances were depleted.  The second time through, I was more confident, circling around to put the wrecked ship at my back and forcing the Widows to come through the Bounty Hunters if they wanted a shot at me (while getting rear-armor shots on the Hunters all the while).

KuzeFanAcct

• Corporal
« Reply #1439 on: 05 March 2021, 03:38:09 »
I reinstalled this game with the Battletech Extended 3025 mod after having only played it at launch - it's what got me into tabletop Battletech back in 2018! And wow... wow! It's utterly amazing what they've done with this game in the meantime. I'm starting the campaign in 3039 to build my forces up before the Clan Invasion, which has been a rather exciting challenge.

(apologies for the potato camera phone shot, I was showing an IRL friend real fast)

More than anything - the regular newsfeed updates, is one of those small features every Battletech universe game needs. Especially Mechwarrior 5, which I feel like was released half-finished. Hopefully the Steam release and the mod community really take that game to the next level this year, I did really enjoy the base combat in MW5.

My big complaints with HBS Battletech is the variety in stuff like falling and melee. Where's my charging and displacement, damnit?! 

Register