Author Topic: HBS Expansion Thread- its time for II (spoilers)  (Read 169564 times)

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
Re: HBS Expansion Thread- its time for II (spoilers)
« Reply #1350 on: 16 November 2020, 07:10:26 »
It would factor much with WarShips for each faction, although the ground combat mechanics will have to be greatly expanded into something like Hearts of Iron's.

Whatever the reason, the lack of a companion game with the kickstarter is a big missed opportunity.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #1351 on: 16 November 2020, 07:57:48 »
Such is life.

The Stellaris engine would be great for running a BT-themed grand campaign with all the factions to pick and lead

I´d say the Crusader Kings series would be a better match. Unlike Stellaris, they have a focus on ground combat. And, more importantly, Crusader Kings is already pretty much "Feudalism: The Video Game", and as we all know, the BattleTech universe is feudalism in space.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

jasonf

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #1352 on: 16 November 2020, 11:06:34 »
I´d say the Crusader Kings series would be a better match. Unlike Stellaris, they have a focus on ground combat. And, more importantly, Crusader Kings is already pretty much "Feudalism: The Video Game", and as we all know, the BattleTech universe is feudalism in space.

It would factor much with WarShips for each faction, although the ground combat mechanics will have to be greatly expanded into something like Hearts of Iron's.

I've always thought that you'd want a combination of the two games. A CK-style system for diplomacy, feudalism, etc., and the HOI4 combat, research, and production, etc., mechanics for the rest.

Either way, it looks to be nothing more than a pipe dream for the forseeable future.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #1353 on: 16 November 2020, 19:53:27 »
With BT's vast universe, the Stellaris engine would be able to support all those planets. CK-style diplomacy, feudalism, perhaps. Though diplomacy between factions is a feature in all Paradox games.

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #1354 on: 17 November 2020, 09:01:41 »
Paradox appears to be all in on Microsoft's Game Pass strategy - it might not be impossible to see the two work out a sweetheart deal on the IP in exchange for Game Pass exclusivity.

The more likely scenario is MS starts sorting out all of their underused IPs and assigns a new MechAssault game to one of the bajillion studios they bought this year.

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1355 on: 17 November 2020, 11:40:55 »
There was a good interview with Mitch Gitelman linked somewhere on the forums lately--he is the head of HBS now I believe.  Guy has made like 4 BattleTech games--between MechCommander, MW4, HBS BattleTech, etc.  When asked if there would be another, he said, not right now.

That being said--this guy clearly makes a lot of BattleTech games, and I hope he makes more in the future.

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1356 on: 17 November 2020, 15:07:07 »
There was a good interview with Mitch Gitelman linked somewhere on the forums lately--he is the head of HBS now I believe.  Guy has made like 4 BattleTech games--between MechCommander, MW4, HBS BattleTech, etc.  When asked if there would be another, he said, not right now.

That being said--this guy clearly makes a lot of BattleTech games, and I hope he makes more in the future.

I wouldn't count on HBS returning any time soon. Paradox doesn't own the IP and has to pay a royalty fee to Microsoft. And Paradox would rather use HBS to improve and increase the value of their own IP rather than a third-party. It doesn't make much business sense to own a studio and have their resources allocated to another party's IP portfolio.

You're going to see HBS release a World of Darkness game, that's for sure.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1357 on: 19 November 2020, 10:43:11 »
I'd give up on HBS foreseeable future. While I'd like them to carry on, the guy who HBS running it wasn't that into Battletech. That said i have little faith that another company will want to specialized off shoot of Battletech sadly. Id love seeing Battletech style game such as space game. Probably more likely a strategy game has a better hopes of being made.

In the past fan mods were made like using Homeworlds engine i found that wasn't finished or a Independence War (i think it was called) mod using Battletech aerospace ships were made.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1358 on: 19 November 2020, 10:57:29 »
A single game does not keep a company in business for long. 

So many people only see games from the finished package and think they can create a better one picking and choosing feature from other games and have absolutely no knowledge of what it takes to actually put one together, and make sure it doesn't break under all the requested features, or machines for that matter.

It was never developed as a micro transaction or mmo type game, and they wisely left it to modders to keep it going, even if the majority of them don't quite interest me.

In the end HBS is still a game company that wants to survive and thrive, one game won't do it for them, especially a niche one like Battletech.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1359 on: 19 November 2020, 15:05:43 »

MechCommander or MechCommander2?  With MW4 being mentioned, its timeframe is closer to MC2 than the original.  MC2 was a Micro$haft game, MC was Activision before they got bought up . . . last one looked pretty but had problems, second one looked pretty for the time, but still plays well.

I always wished for a Total War style game.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #1360 on: 19 November 2020, 16:14:01 »
I'm not writing off the possibility of getting another BattleTech game from HBS.  They aren't a huge studio and they are working on a couple other games right now as we all know.  But if the final sales numbers were good I'm sure they'll be willing to develop a sequel at some point even if they pay a royalty for it. 

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1361 on: 02 December 2020, 15:14:33 »
I picked up Flashpoint awhile back and I have really been enjoying it.

Of the other downloadable content offerings are there any that you would recommend?

I have also been looking for new portraits / voice packs on Steam but apparently there are none.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1362 on: 02 December 2020, 15:19:31 »
Personally, I recommend all the expansions.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1363 on: 02 December 2020, 16:24:59 »
The final expansion gets you the Pixie, Rifleman, Archer and a couple other classics.  It is a must have.  Honestly, each one contains some flashpoints and really add value to the overall career game.

I've played through about 10 careers, and despite the fact I haven't fired it up much since the kids have been home with distance learning, I plan to play a few campaigns this spring.  They are really great and recommend all three expansions highly.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #1364 on: 02 December 2020, 18:56:36 »
The final expansion gets you the Pixie, Rifleman, Archer and a couple other classics.  It is a must have.  Honestly, each one contains some flashpoints and really add value to the overall career game.

Is that the Urban Warfare DLC?
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #1365 on: 02 December 2020, 19:26:00 »

I've played through about 10 careers, and despite the fact I haven't fired it up much since the kids have been home with distance learning, I plan to play a few campaigns this spring.  They are really great and recommend all three expansions highly.

Is that the Urban Warfare DLC?

The Heavy Metal DLC is the one that gives you the Archer, Marauder, Warhammer, Rifleman, Phoenix Hawk & a couple of others. It also has a great flashpoint campaign
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #1366 on: 03 December 2020, 02:49:11 »
Weren't the Marauder and Warhammer patched into the base game?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1367 on: 03 December 2020, 04:34:05 »
Yes. They said that those mechs were iconic enough that they wanted to add them as a free patch for everyone.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #1368 on: 03 December 2020, 10:19:44 »
Marauder are the most dangerous thing in the mid to late game. Aimbot for the win

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #1369 on: 03 December 2020, 11:12:35 »
Weren't the Marauder and Warhammer patched into the base game?
Yes. They said that those mechs were iconic enough that they wanted to add them as a free patch for everyone.

My mistake. I got them at the same time as I got the Heavy Metal DLC (I'd bought the season pass) so I assumed they were part of the DLC rather than a patch.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1370 on: 03 December 2020, 11:30:30 »
The Marauder is a wee bit overpowered, IMHO, since its innate called-shot bonus, if paired with a pilot that also adds a called-shot bonus, results in a 35% chance of a head-hit per weapon.  Once I had mine trained up and optimally configured, I routinely one-shotted enemy 100-tonners as part of my opening engagement "howd'ja do?" volley.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1371 on: 03 December 2020, 12:06:04 »
The Marauder is a wee bit overpowered, IMHO, since its innate called-shot bonus, if paired with a pilot that also adds a called-shot bonus, results in a 35% chance of a head-hit per weapon.  Once I had mine trained up and optimally configured, I routinely one-shotted enemy 100-tonners as part of my opening engagement "howd'ja do?" volley.

Very much this.  Put a regular Marauder and Star League Marauder in your lance for headshot hilarity.  It totally creates a Monty Haul vibe like a D&D campaign where you get all the salvage you want whenever you want it.  Despite the fact it was so unbalanced, I was never strong enough to play a career without using headshots.  I guess I like winning more than I like a challenge?

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #1372 on: 03 December 2020, 13:09:43 »
Try the campaign with only official configurations instead of mecha being whatever you want. It adds a challenge. I enjoyed my run much more using this auto-limit

jasonf

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #1373 on: 03 December 2020, 17:48:40 »
I also recommend all three expansions. I've been trying one of the mods (Commander's Edition). It's pretty good, too, and nerfs the Marauder head-hunting bonus.

I agree that Marauder + 9 tactics skill in the base game gets pretty ridiculous.

Overall, though, between the added flashpoints, maps, and Mechs of the three expansions, the game is almost becomes very re-playable in career mode.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #1374 on: 03 December 2020, 20:32:53 »
I picked up Heavy Metal and began a new campaign. I have already seen quite a few new mechs and weapons.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1375 on: 03 December 2020, 21:00:24 »
I agree with getting all of them.  In my opinion they all added enough to be worth it.  Although, they were each paired with a great free patch so I honestly couldn't tell you 100% what came with what.  ;D

My only issue was the addition of special tech to get the Heavy Metal mechs quirks.  It made sense at the time as it made the new mechs worth grabbing no mater what you already had.  After all, why bother with a Marauder if you already have a K2 Catapult?  But all it did was turn the same problem around.  Why bother with a K2 Catapult if you've already got a mech with a similar load and a head shot buff?

Making weapons harder to find than mech salvage was a questionable choice too, but that was a patch.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Seer

• Private
  • One must imagine Sisyphus happy
« Reply #1376 on: 04 December 2020, 09:19:40 »
HBS might be done with Battletech but the modding community is very active, which is great to see, and I'm happy to be contributing to it in a small way. If you're looking for new content then any of the major overhaul mods will do. Roguetech is the most popular and has content stretching out to the Dark Age, but it is very demanding on your PC. Advanced 3062 is, as the name suggests, set just as the FedCom civil war is kicking off with Clan content included. Battletech Extended 3025 is another that includes the Clan invasion and is tied with 3062 for popularity. Then you have the non-Clan mods: Battletech Revised and XAI. The latter is the best if you want to dip your toes in and play through the official campaign with modded content; Battletech Revised goes into a bit more detail and includes the campaign as a Flashpoint rather than a non-career option. There's also the dark horse, Hyades Rim, which is all about the Periphery and is full of character. Many require the expansions so keep that in mind, but the expansions are all well worth getting.
"The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brains of the living."

BattleTech Non-Fiction Publications list | Argo Running Costs | MGS REX | The "Sea Monster"

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #1377 on: 04 December 2020, 11:15:34 »
@Seer,

Can you have several of these mods installed at once or do you have to take one off to try the next?

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1378 on: 04 December 2020, 11:41:41 »
@Seer,

Can you have several of these mods installed at once or do you have to take one off to try the next?

Overhaul mods are one at a time.  They alter the base game, and can be a bit labor intensive to set up.

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1379 on: 04 December 2020, 19:28:58 »
HBS might be done with Battletech but the modding community is very active, which is great to see, and I'm happy to be contributing to it in a small way. If you're looking for new content then any of the major overhaul mods will do. Roguetech is the most popular and has content stretching out to the Dark Age, but it is very demanding on your PC. Advanced 3062 is, as the name suggests, set just as the FedCom civil war is kicking off with Clan content included. Battletech Extended 3025 is another that includes the Clan invasion and is tied with 3062 for popularity. Then you have the non-Clan mods: Battletech Revised and XAI. The latter is the best if you want to dip your toes in and play through the official campaign with modded content; Battletech Revised goes into a bit more detail and includes the campaign as a Flashpoint rather than a non-career option. There's also the dark horse, Hyades Rim, which is all about the Periphery and is full of character. Many require the expansions so keep that in mind, but the expansions are all well worth getting.

I just wish the game was better optimized. Roguetech especially shows how weak the game's engine is. A lot of stuttering and minor freezes even on a very powerful rig (i7 10700) with a high-end GPU (2080) and 32 gigs of ram and on a fast SSD.

I have AAA games that are less taxing in 4K than this game, unfortunately.