Register Register

Author Topic: Medium Binary Lasers  (Read 77 times)

Intermittent_Coherence

• Warrant Officer
Medium Binary Lasers
« on: 17 April 2019, 08:02:08 »
Why exactly does the Blazer automatically default to using cores from Large Lasers?
In theory shouldn't the principle apply to Medium Lasers as well?

Because I'd be totally down for 7 damage, 6 heat at 2 tons and 3/6/9.

Alsadius

• Warrant Officer
Re: Medium Binary Lasers
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2019, 10:23:20 »
A big part of the Blazer's value is headcapping. A Blazer Lite can't do that. Besides, this just isn't as cool :P

And with those stats, I'd rather just mount two MLs, because 7 damage isn't going to breach much more than 5, and I'd rather have 10 total than 7 total. At least make it 1.5 tons.

Also, I know it's canonically from a different era, but maybe the Heavy Medium Laser is what you want? The Heavies are fairly balanced in a 3025-tech setting (if only by their ludicrous heat in a SHS-only era), and we already have stat blocks for them.

Rayneth

• Recruit
  • Conflicted Member of the Purple People
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2019, 10:59:47 »
As Alsadius says, the biggest appeal of the normal Binary Laser Cannon is that sweet 12 points of damage at medium range.

I don't really see much of a niche for Medium Blazers to fill other than some kind of rule of cool.

Sabelkatten

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2019, 12:13:09 »
It would probably be pretty balanced at 6 heat, 2 tons, 3/6/9 range, and 9 damage. You generally have to go above 10 points for damage concentration to really matter, 2x5 points or 1x9 should be about equally effective.

It would make a powerful weapon against really light mechs, thought. Scouting and scout-hunting would become a lot more "interesting"...

Intermittent_Coherence

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2019, 13:01:05 »
It would probably be pretty balanced at 6 heat, 2 tons, 3/6/9 range, and 9 damage. You generally have to go above 10 points for damage concentration to really matter, 2x5 points or 1x9 should be about equally effective.

It would make a powerful weapon against really light mechs, thought. Scouting and scout-hunting would become a lot more "interesting"...
That's my thought as well. The large blazer only does 50% more damage, which is why I went with 7 damage but even that would be a massive boon for light mechs. It would also be the perfect counter for those pesky Clan medium lasers when Revival comes around.
A big part of the Blazer's value is headcapping. A Blazer Lite can't do that. Besides, this just isn't as cool :P

And with those stats, I'd rather just mount two MLs, because 7 damage isn't going to breach much more than 5, and I'd rather have 10 total than 7 total. At least make it 1.5 tons.

Also, I know it's canonically from a different era, but maybe the Heavy Medium Laser is what you want? The Heavies are fairly balanced in a 3025-tech setting (if only by their ludicrous heat in a SHS-only era), and we already have stat blocks for them.
No, I meant blazers. We all know that Heavy Lasers are what Blazers want to be when they grow up.

Alsadius

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2019, 14:19:12 »
That's my thought as well. The large blazer only does 50% more damage, which is why I went with 7 damage but even that would be a massive boon for light mechs. It would also be the perfect counter for those pesky Clan medium lasers when Revival comes around.

No, I meant blazers. We all know that Heavy Lasers are what Blazers want to be when they grow up.

7 damage is probably too low. Even using the "50% more" from the Blazer, I'd round it up to 8. Doing 8 damage on 1.5 tons would be playable, I think, even with that high heat. Bugs would probably like that a lot, whereas at 2 tons I'd just take the two MLs on a Spider.

Ignoring weight/slots for a second, I think the Blazer might arguably be a better weapon than the HLL. 16 heat and 12 damage vs 18 heat and 16 damage(at +1 to hit)? Not an easy choice, tbh. The Blazer has BV 222, while the Heavy Large is 244, so statistically (using the base BV math assumptions, which probably under-penalize to-hit penalties), they're nearly equal in actual damage dealt. The HLL wins on the five tons you save, obviously, but otherwise they're not too far off.