Author Topic: How to make a RS book?  (Read 1409 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
How to make a RS book?
« on: 03 February 2023, 14:16:05 »
I'm using Megamek Lab, so I have the unit files - is there a way to 'print to file'?  I know I can print the individual sheets and scan them into pdf at work, and presumably string them one after another,  but is there a way to use MML and go straight to file?

Or is there another program that does?
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: How to make a RS book?
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2023, 14:39:10 »
Most free PDF creators actually install as printers and you print to output as PDF.  So make your force in Megamek, then save as a MUL file, and then pick print from MUL in Megamek Lab and pick your PDF creator.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2023, 16:19:26 »
Most free PDF creators actually install as printers and you print to output as PDF.  So make your force in Megamek, then save as a MUL file, and then pick print from MUL in Megamek Lab and pick your PDF creator.

Save as a MUL file?  Basically, save a list of units, then print to file?

I've been able to select, 'Print to pdf' as a printer option.  And it comes out sharp and clear.  But transferring it to word, it looks like a 1980'S typewriter tried to print it.

I'm wondering, do I load a saved .PDF (the cover probably) and just keep adding pdfs?  I'll try that later.
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2023, 16:22:24 »
You can create the MUL file by loading all the units you want in Megamek and saving the force as a MUL file and then print that out on its own.

But if you use a program like PDFCreator, you can queue up print jobs from multiple sources, put them in order and compile into a single PDF.  Might be the best option if you're using Word to create a front section.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2023, 16:23:46 »
Is pdfcreator free?  Because I operate on shoestring

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2023, 18:10:35 »
Is pdfcreator free?  Because I operate on shoestring

It is, but has some annoying pop-ups on occsion

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2023, 19:28:32 »
I'm using Megamek Lab, so I have the unit files - is there a way to 'print to file'?  I know I can print the individual sheets and scan them into pdf at work, and presumably string them one after another,  but is there a way to use MML and go straight to file?

Or is there another program that does?

Save as a MUL file?  Basically, save a list of units, then print to file?

I've been able to select, 'Print to pdf' as a printer option.  And it comes out sharp and clear.  But transferring it to word, it looks like a 1980'S typewriter tried to print it.

I'm wondering, do I load a saved .PDF (the cover probably) and just keep adding pdfs?  I'll try that later.

When using MegaMekLab the "Print" option will get you poor quality. Use the Export to PDF it's the step used to create the official Record sheets. It will also create a PDF index.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2023, 20:31:40 »
I tried to use the File-Print-Queue units to print' option; I have it set to 'print to PDF" and the PDF looks lovely, but I can't move it to Word, I get a text box with 'the picture can't be displayed'.

File-Export-to HTML?  Same thing.

I'm not seeing a File-export-to PDF option here. (see attachment)

*edit2 - Single sheet, File-save as-?  No, won't let me save as PDF, and doesn't save as a RS.  Doesn't transfer to Word, either.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2023, 20:46:23 by Red Pins »

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2023, 20:44:11 »
When using MegaMekLab the "Print" option will get you poor quality. Use the Export to PDF it's the step used to create the official Record sheets. It will also create a PDF index.

Pretty much this.

There is even a way to queue the units to add to this file.  Go to File > Export > To PDF > Queue units to Export...   This will set up a window which gives you options to select units from file or cache, just like opening an existing unit.

In fact, if you're using the "Stable" version, this is the only way I've found to get a full page print.  The regular Print options set a HUGE margin, severely shrinking what you were hoping to print.  If you have it print the reference tables, this makes the rest of the image even smaller, almost to the point of uselessness if your eyesight is any level of poor.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 03 February 2023, 22:54:42 »
It is, but has some annoying pop-ups on occsion

Yeah, no.  Even the free one won't let me merge pdfs and then save them in order.  So PDFArchitent's a bust, unless somebody can suggest another one.

Pic attached.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 04 February 2023, 01:03:58 »
I tried to use the File-Print-Queue units to print' option; I have it set to 'print to PDF" and the PDF looks lovely, but I can't move it to Word, I get a text box with 'the picture can't be displayed'.

File-Export-to HTML?  Same thing.

I'm not seeing a File-export-to PDF option here. (see attachment)

*edit2 - Single sheet, File-save as-?  No, won't let me save as PDF, and doesn't save as a RS.  Doesn't transfer to Word, either.

It looks like you have a really old copy of MegaMekLab.  The most current "Safe" version is 0.48.0, while the latest version (which is great, but has an annoying thing about requiring a very specific version of Java) is 0.49.11.  You can check the version by clicking on "Help" and going to "About".

Both of these options will have the File > Export > To PDF option.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 04 February 2023, 01:25:10 »
I'd be tempted to put the whole thing in a Word document, and only print to PDF.  Use Page Breaks to force re-alignment and ensure certain items are kept at the top of a page, multi-columns as needed to split the data up, and whatever other tools you feel are appropriate.

No need for combining other PDFs, far better control over the pasted text, and it is an existing program most of us already have.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 04 February 2023, 01:45:17 »
An old copy of MM?  Um.  It's from my last computer, so yeah.  I'll update it, thanks.

And yes, I prefer Word, too.  I'll try, but if I can't do it this weekend, I'm going to just say, no.  Don't have time now.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #13 on: 09 February 2023, 10:18:03 »
I wonder if you could print as a jpeg instead?  If you could do that, you could insert the files as images and manipulate it to fit that way.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 09 February 2023, 16:31:57 »
I just don't know, but I'll look into it.  It's on hold until the weekend.  Thanks.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #15 on: 09 February 2023, 18:56:45 »
Manipulating jpegs is MUCH harder than just about anything else...  ::)

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 18 February 2023, 11:23:30 »
Yeah, I can't be bothered anymore.  I might do a unit list and print to pdf for a RS book, but the idea of a cover etc., is just not going to happen.  I can't spare the time since I had a breakthrough on my BTF project, but maybe someday I'll come back to the idea.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #17 on: 03 March 2023, 15:24:08 »
Manipulating jpegs is MUCH harder than just about anything else...  ::)
In word?  It's not as hard as you think when you use the picture placement tool  Of course, I use it to simple tile some pics for print and cutting out to glue to minis and terrain.  Completely discovered it by accident.  I guess it takes a little patience.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 03 March 2023, 16:45:36 »
Well, I tried but I'll look again.  Thanks.