Author Topic: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings  (Read 49953 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
Re: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings
« Reply #150 on: 12 December 2019, 02:52:12 »
Below is an item from the Detroit Free press from last week.  I saw it posted elsewhere, but he wasn't a fan of being benched in a home coming game.  He definitely doesn't like the man.

In another article elsewhere, which I would have to locate, he described in brief detail an episode between Babcock and Johan Franzen which caused the later to have a mental breakdown.  Chelios is also on record as stating while Babcock is great at Xs and Os he is now way a decent person.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/4353301002

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #151 on: 12 December 2019, 11:35:13 »
Sharks fired Deboer yesterday evening and replaced him with Bob Bougher, previously head coach of the Florida Panthers.  My take is it is going to get worse before it gets any better.  Nabakov was also hires as the tending coach.  I have no idea what his coaching credentials are and whether this will actually help anyone.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #152 on: 13 December 2019, 00:15:29 »
At work today and came across a headline today on TMZ sports, which is somehow not blocked at work when every other sports site is, about Tim Thomas.  Read it over it I was somewhat shocked at the contents.  Thomas is known to be a bit of an eccentric, but the contents weren't what I was initially expected.  He was recently inducted into the US Hockey Hall of fame and spoke publicly for the first time in several years.  Apparently a concussion sustained in 2013 caused severe and permanent damage.  Article is here for anyone that wants to read it https://sports.yahoo.com/tim-thomas-details-brain-damage-222720074.html.  It is truly awful what he's gone through in the last several years and sadly also understandable why he' had fallen off the grid. 

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #153 on: 13 December 2019, 09:21:07 »
The Red Wings win....locally they are promoting it like they just won the Stanley Cup. I just hope it doesn't reset the loss streak again.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #154 on: 14 December 2019, 23:12:39 »
Wings won two in a row.  Let's  see them hit three now. 

Hell, let's just see them take shorter slides.  It's unlike the St. Louis situation last year.  We're at the bottom going into the mid season, but there is nothing to light the way, no stacked roster to ignite.  Red Wings are hurtling to the under realm of the standings.  Just a couple more wins here and there to make this rebuilding process slightly more palatable.   

Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #155 on: 15 December 2019, 23:31:05 »
Best thing you can hope for, knowing that the Wings aren't going to be playing for the wild card this year is that they play well enough to be entertaining/inspring.  While it took them a few years after Ovechkin got drafted and they found the right coach to steer the ship, the Caps looked motivated even if there was nothing else exciting about them to cheer for.  Even if Blashill deserves to be canned, there isn't a coach out there that is going to right the ship this season.

Within the next two years the Wings should have some of those horrible contracts that Holland saddled them with off the books.  Yzerman's goal over the next couple years aside from setting up for the expansion drafts, should be to keep the team costs under control and build up a pool of picks.  The picks part is something that is going to be more difficult with all the NTCs Holland liberally gave out, but Yzerman's shown to be good at his job.  Come off season, throw some money at some UFAs that are looking to rebound from horrible year and pitch them for picks should their value increase.  Alex Galchenyuk immediately comes to mind as a guy who's value has tanked the last two years that might be forced into some sort of 'show me' contract offer if he doesn't get traded and find stable footing elsewhere this season.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #156 on: 16 December 2019, 19:20:47 »
Taylor hall to the Coyotes looks pretty good in the short term.  Even better if they can convince him to re-sign.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #157 on: 31 December 2019, 22:44:30 »
Red Wings shut out the Sharks to end the year with a tiny flicker of what could have been.  Oh well...

Tyler Bertuzzi made the all star vote.  Glad we had at least one. 

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #158 on: 04 January 2020, 00:10:30 »
Is a one game winning streak a thing?  Lol... 

42 games in and the Red Wings are setting up for the 2020 draft lottery quite well. 

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #159 on: 06 January 2020, 00:40:56 »
Corey Perry suspended for 5 games after elbowing  Nashville's Ryan Ellis in the head during the Winter Classic.  Many believe he should have been suspended for much more. 

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #160 on: 06 January 2020, 18:41:08 »
Corey Perry suspended for 5 games after elbowing  Nashville's Ryan Ellis in the head during the Winter Classic.  Many believe he should have been suspended for much more.

The DoPS is just so inconsistent with what they dole out to who that it's hard to take them seriously at all.

I heard something a couple of days ago on TSN 690 (Montreal's English sports radio station) that Perry's Winter Classic jersey, which he wore for all of 38 seconds before getting tossed, sold for over $3000 on Ebay.  Is that actually true?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #161 on: 06 January 2020, 18:48:19 »
Surprised nobody commented on this yet...

This past weekend, the Habs signed Ilya Kovalchuk to a 1-year, 2-way, $700K contract (or $70K if he gets sent to the AHL).  He didn't play on Saturday in the Habs' 3-2 loss to the Pens, but will make his debut in a Habs uniform tonight against the Jets.

Personally, I think this is an absolute desperation move by Marc Bergevin to try and compensate for the loss of so many key forwards that have basically stripped the team of its identity.  I expect it'll work out as well as the Mark Streit and Karl Alzner fiascos.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #162 on: 07 January 2020, 01:29:31 »
Red Wings shut out the Sharks to end the year with a tiny flicker of what could have been.  Oh well...

Tyler Bertuzzi made the all star vote.  Glad we had at least one.
Well you always get at least one.  None the less, Bertuzzi has had a relatively good season and deserves the honor.  As for the Sharks, based off how the last minute of the game yesterday, it's safe to assume they have thrown in the towel for the year.  Personally I'm sad to say that I missed the comeback yesterday because I decide it was a lost cause after the Sharks scored an empty netter and decided to take a bathroom break.

I'd disagree with more than 5 games.  It was a stupid and reckless action on Perry's part, but wasn't intentionally malicious.  If you go back and look at his hit on Jason Zucker from 2013 when he was last suspended that hit was worse and that net him 4 games.

The DoPS is just so inconsistent with what they dole out to who that it's hard to take them seriously at all.

I heard something a couple of days ago on TSN 690 (Montreal's English sports radio station) that Perry's Winter Classic jersey, which he wore for all of 38 seconds before getting tossed, sold for over $3000 on Ebay.  Is that actually true?
Hard to judge the DoPS this season given this is only their second suspension.  In general over the past couple years the number of suspensions seems down.  When you get something as blatant as the Perry elbow though you have to take action.  The other suspension this season was Evander Kane for his abuse of officials and I was generally surprised that was only 3 games long.

As for the auction part, it isn't on ebay.  It's up for sale, as is the case most Winter classic gear year after year, on the NHL auctions site.  The 3k bid is also the most current.

Surprised nobody commented on this yet...

This past weekend, the Habs signed Ilya Kovalchuk to a 1-year, 2-way, $700K contract (or $70K if he gets sent to the AHL).  He didn't play on Saturday in the Habs' 3-2 loss to the Pens, but will make his debut in a Habs uniform tonight against the Jets.

Personally, I think this is an absolute desperation move by Marc Bergevin to try and compensate for the loss of so many key forwards that have basically stripped the team of its identity.  I expect it'll work out as well as the Mark Streit and Karl Alzner fiascos.
I haven't been paying as much attention to the forums recently.  Now with the holidays complete and caught up on Mandoloran, Episode 9, and season 2 of ST Discovery, I'll probably be active again.  As far as judging his signing vs. Streit and Alzner, it is a low risk contract.  If he comes in and performs and gets them a playoff slot then it was money well spent.  If he produces, but the rest of the team is a failure, then he's produced a tradible assest.  If he completely fails to impress then he gets dumped in the minors for loose change.  None of this is anything close to Streit and Alzner who were both in their downsides.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #163 on: 07 January 2020, 15:48:34 »
Nashville fired Peter Laviolette and replaced him with John Hynes.  Not certain this will pan out any better, but there is definitely more talent there that Hynes didn't have in Jersey.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #164 on: 07 January 2020, 23:39:40 »
As for the auction part, it isn't on ebay.  It's up for sale, as is the case most Winter classic gear year after year, on the NHL auctions site.  The 3k bid is also the most current.

I haven't been paying as much attention to the forums recently.  Now with the holidays complete and caught up on Mandoloran, Episode 9, and season 2 of ST Discovery, I'll probably be active again.  As far as judging his signing vs. Streit and Alzner, it is a low risk contract.  If he comes in and performs and gets them a playoff slot then it was money well spent.  If he produces, but the rest of the team is a failure, then he's produced a tradible assest.  If he completely fails to impress then he gets dumped in the minors for loose change.  None of this is anything close to Streit and Alzner who were both in their downsides.

Actually, Kovy has looked fairly good in his 2 games so far, picking up 3 assists, laying on the body, and retrieving pucks to try and feed others.  Hasn't helped the Habs win though.

When you blow 2 leads against the worst team in the league (by a wide margin) and lose the game, then who's actually the worst team?
The Wings have won only 10 games to date, but 3 of those wins have come against the Habs.

At this point, the Habs should probably follow the Wings' lead and aim for the lottery.  They just can't win with what they've got now and need to look to the future...including some turnover behind the bench and in the front office.

And if I'm Carey Price, I've realized by now that I'm never going to win the Cup with this outfit and ought to be thinking about a move to someplace with a more promising short term, NMC be damned.  (Can't believe I just said that but I did.)

cheers,

Gabe

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #165 on: 08 January 2020, 00:10:49 »
When you blow 2 leads against the worst team in the league (by a wide margin) and lose the game, then who's actually the worst team?
The Wings have won only 10 games to date, but 3 of those wins have come against the Habs.

At this point, the Habs should probably follow the Wings' lead and aim for the lottery.  They just can't win with what they've got now and need to look to the future...including some turnover behind the bench and in the front office.

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything about this win and sound like I'm rubbing it in.  Like you pointed out, it's just our tenth win out of 43 games or so.

Besides, at this point, the losses are necessary to try to get good positioning for the draft lottery.  Still, with our luck we'll end up with the 6th pick again.  Knock on wood against that happening.

The bright spot is seeing Zadina produce.  He still needs time to develop, but hopefully he will be a good one for us. 

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #166 on: 10 January 2020, 02:57:20 »
So this week I'm in Las Vegas!  Got to say I see a lot of Golden Knights swag and the logo pasted on windows and painted on walls everywhere.

Just makes me happy to see people supporting their hockey team.  I was in Florida near Tampa back in September,  and didn't see anything for the Lightning, or for the Panthers, anywhere.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #167 on: 10 January 2020, 03:02:07 »
To be expected in LV, the Knights are the only major sports team in town (until the Raiders start playing) so they are going to get a lot of love. It also helps that they are being successful. If they were a bad team, they wouldn't be gerring as much love.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #168 on: 10 January 2020, 08:38:45 »
It was nice to see Pekka Rinne get his first goal after over a decade in the NHL.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #169 on: 10 January 2020, 15:09:26 »
It was nice to see Pekka Rinne get his first goal after over a decade in the NHL.

Yep and it was the first goal by a goalie since 2013 as well.  May not be the most important stat for a goalie, but it does round them out nicely.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #170 on: 11 January 2020, 15:06:28 »
Rask and Halak came close for Bruins last year I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often with empty net situations
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #171 on: 14 January 2020, 22:07:21 »
Crosby looked rusty as hell in his return. Only a goal and three assists.
I have spoken.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #172 on: 14 January 2020, 22:53:52 »
Rask and Halak came close for Bruins last year I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often with empty net situations
I think the major reason that it doesn't is due to fact many teams play a conservative approach late game and the idea of a goalie going for it is only going to be green lit if the team is already up by 2 goals.  Even then you have to get some pretty good air on the puck so that some guy doesn't swat the puck out of the air.  The lift that Rinne got on that shot was pretty damn sweet.

Crosby looked rusty as hell in his return. Only a goal and three assists.
Brad Marchand would like a word with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo1TmtjzjgY

At least if you are going to botch, you do it in a game that doesn't matter in the regular season rather than playoffs.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #173 on: 14 January 2020, 23:06:20 »
Brad Marchand would like a word with you.

At least he didn't lick anybody.
I have spoken.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #174 on: 14 January 2020, 23:51:54 »
Detroit got licked 8 to 2 tonight, that's welcome back home to Detroit.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #175 on: 15 January 2020, 14:24:23 »
Gallant is sacked in Vegas and replaced by De Boer.  Can't say I saw that coming.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #176 on: 15 January 2020, 17:12:05 »
Detroit got licked 8 to 2 tonight, that's welcome back home to Detroit.

How is this actually an improvement for the Knights?

Cheers, Gabe

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #177 on: 15 January 2020, 17:14:12 »

It's not.   Gallant is a good coach and someone will pick him right up.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #178 on: 15 January 2020, 17:40:54 »
Gallant has tied to Yzerman and could replace Blashill.  I don't think he would necessarily want the job when better situation may present itself in the off season.  Better question is whether he will be at the All Star game since he was slated to be the Pacific head coach.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #179 on: 15 January 2020, 20:18:59 »

Cheers, Gabe

Sorry, quoted wrong message there.

Cheers, Gabe

Register