Register Register

Author Topic: Infantry SPAs  (Read 1346 times)

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Infantry SPAs
« on: 03 January 2018, 22:37:41 »
Inspired by a conversation with Weirdo up in Ground Combat (in this thread), I present the SPA below.  More may follow...

Sergeant in Motion (Infantry)
  "They say a sergeant in motion outranks a lieutenant that doesn't know what's going on..."
  Prerequisites: [Skills] Levels of Acrobatics/Free Fall and Acrobatics/Gymnastics totaling 8+, Leadership 5+; [Abilities] Foot Cavalry Ability
  XP Cost: 100
  The Sergeant in Motion Ability is only effective with foot or jump infantry squads being carried by a separate vehicle.  Sergeants in Motion have trained themselves how to fearlessly leap from moving vehicles and land in one piece, and have shared this specialized training with their troops.  Squads led by Sergeants in Motion may debark a carrying unit at any point in that unit's movement vice only the last hex.  Only jump infantry or paratroops may debark flying vehicles in this manner (zip lines require a unit to hover, i.e., in the last hex of their movement).  As only one squad may debark per hex, this ability only applies when Squad Deployment rules (Tactical Operations, page 27) are in effect.

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
Re: Infantry SPAs
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2018, 18:12:57 »
All my infantry teams are learning this SPA immediately!   ^-^

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2018, 20:16:24 »
Thanks, glad you like it!  Now that I look at it, I think I forgot to mention that it should work for BA too...

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2018, 22:21:01 »
Damm crazy sergeants...
Now passing that knowledge on to their troopers

All my infantry teams are learning this SPA immediately!   ^-^
Great that what the Wild Geese need
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2018, 12:40:49 »
Damm crazy sergeants...
Now passing that knowledge on to their troopers
Great that what the Wild Geese need

I give credit when taking on good ideas, keeps me honest and with some creative adaptation will keep the BA troopers in tip top condition!  Besides, it's not as if the Clans or the Blakist will cut us any slack! }:)

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2018, 23:43:48 »
I give credit when taking on good ideas, keeps me honest and with some creative adaptation will keep the BA troopers in tip top condition!  Besides, it's not as if the Clans or the Blakist will cut us any slack! }:)
You know I have a hard time seeing most of Battletech BA designs being acrobatic, without maybe some of the PAL suits.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 15 January 2018, 06:21:59 »
True, but the ones with jump jets at least should be able to pull this off without a hitch.  Perhaps I should scope it that way: PA(L), or Light or Medium suits with jump jets.  How does that sound?

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2019, 19:16:39 »
After dreaming up the Gun Kata skill, it struck me it could have use at the Squad Leader level too...

Fire as She Bears (Infantry)
"Fire as she bears, boys!"
Prerequisites: [Skills] Gun Kata Level 4+, Training 4+, Leadership 4+
XP Cost: 100
     Squad leaders with this ability are able to pass on enough of their Gun Kata training to allow weapon crews to bring unwieldy support weapons to bear at close range faster and more accurately than other troops.  A squad led by a squad leader with this ability ignores the +1 to hit at 0-hex range for support weapons with crew values of 1E or 2+ (Tech Manual, page 149 refers).

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 16 October 2019, 20:05:30 »
And while I'm in that part of Tech Manual anyway...

Whites of Their Eyes (Infantry)
"Wait for it... Wait for it... NOW!"
Prerequisites: [Skills] Stealth 4+, Leadership 4+
XP Cost: 50 XP
     Officers or NCOs with this ability have nerves of steel, and an unparalleled ability to conceal their troops.  They may only be equipped with melee weapons, but they're deadly in ambush.  Platoons or Squads with leaders who have this ability ignore the +1 penalty for Point Blank Weapons when attacking (Tech Manual, page 148 refers).