Register Register

Author Topic: MechWarrior: Destiny  (Read 35416 times)

Asgo

• Corporal
Re: MechWarrior: Destiny
« Reply #750 on: 10 October 2019, 04:32:32 »
The more I read and reread the book, the more I like the system, but the more convinced I am that there needs to be a big effort to reorder the content. 

I added a lot of comments through the official feedback form, including some of the points that others have made here, but I really do think that this system is a winner and will be a lot more approachable once some more gameplay examples are added and a few sections are shuffled around.
while reordering can help, sometimes you have sections with multiple dependencies that no matter the order have some disconnect here or there. That is something you get used to once you are familiar with the layout.

having gameplay examples though helps a lot, in any system. Sure, you cannot cover more than some standard cases, but it provides a feal for the system and simplifies using the rules. I liked the example a few pages before, although crossing IPs probably should be avoided (and if you have to, use Cthulhu ;) ).

This holds even more so for a collaborative system where everyone should have an idea how to run the game not just the GM.

Speedbump

• Corporal
« Reply #751 on: 12 October 2019, 15:12:27 »
Messing about with anydice I came up with the following odds of success for various total modifiers. It might be possible to go past -3 and +16 in extreme cases with multiple Traits and situational modifiers at the same time, but I figure I'm already reaching into the realm of edge cases expanding the table as far as I have:
Code: [Select]
Modifier Success Chance (%)
Easy Average Hard
-3 23.92 3.24 0.99
-2 33.56 5.88 1.97
-1 44.37 9.8 3.59
0 55.63 15.2 6.08
1 66.44 22.15 9.65
2 76.08 39.97 14.46
3 84.1 50 20.58
4 90.28 60.03 27.94
5 94.6 69.48 36.31
6 97.3 77.85 45.36
7 98.84 84.8 54.64
8 99.61 90.2 63.69
9 99.92 94.12 72.06
10 100 96.76 79.42
11 100 98.38 85.54
12 100 99.28 90.35
13 100 99.73 93.92
14 100 99.92 96.41
15 100 99.99 98.03
16 100 100 99.01
The results aren't anything massively shocking, but I generally like to do this to get an idea of how "competent" for want of a better word you can expect the PCs to be.
« Last Edit: 12 October 2019, 15:50:28 by Speedbump »

SteelShrike

• Recruit
« Reply #752 on: 04 November 2019, 00:28:03 »
I was browsing the Ironwind Metals store today and saw that they had the House MechWarrior miniature packs for sale. Then it got me to wondering... are there any plans or would there be interest in making plays to release MechWarrior: Destiny miniatures? I think it'd be awesome to have more 25-28mm minis of generic or lore characters from the BattleTech universe to use for tabletop RPG sessions. Could really help make the RPG experience come alive. Maybe it would even put some of that new character art in the Destiny book to good use.
« Last Edit: 04 November 2019, 00:43:15 by SteelShrike »

Sartris

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Hear me now and believe me later
« Reply #753 on: 04 November 2019, 00:43:52 »
it should be noted that the old school ral partha mechwarrior minis were fan-financed and used pre-existing sculpts. i would imagine a line of MW:D minis would have to be similarly funded. IWM has pretty much abandoned any mini creation that isn't mechs apart from the occasional con exclusive, online exclusive, or a coordinated fan-financed effort due to very low interest

SteelShrike

• Recruit
« Reply #754 on: 04 November 2019, 01:26:59 »
That's a shame, though it seems fan-financed stuff seems to be the way forward for now at least anyways until BattleTech picks up steam again in the local game store market. I'm sure it's partially due to the fact that there wasn't much of a system to use them with in the past (apart from the past MechWarrior RPG editions I suppose). But if they wanted to push Destiny as a thing, having some minis to go with it would be fantastic I think. I'd certainly buy a bunch of them up in a heartbeat.

EDIT: I should add too, it wouldn't have to be IWM doing it. In fact, I'd prefer them to be plastic like the new Mech Packs. Of course, that would almost certainly require a Kickstarter of its own I imagine to finance. Still... something to keep in mind that I'd personally love to see.
« Last Edit: 04 November 2019, 01:34:56 by SteelShrike »

Cubby

• Communications
  • Captain
  • Back in Black
« Reply #755 on: 04 November 2019, 09:09:05 »
i would imagine a line of MW:D minis would have to be similarly funded.

Not necessarily.

But no current plans that I'm aware of.

I should add too, it wouldn't have to be IWM doing it. In fact, I'd prefer them to be plastic like the new Mech Packs. Of course, that would almost certainly require a Kickstarter of its own I imagine to finance.

See above.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Line Editor and Writer - Sarna.net Profile

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #756 on: 04 November 2019, 14:03:39 »
Not necessarily.

But no current plans that I'm aware of.

See above.

That would be awesome to see plastic MechWarrior minis, if they decided to do it.

One question I have, just so long as you're in radar range :) … I had some tweak ideas on the beta I'd love o discuss, but don't know what the protocol would be on he forums. Would it be permitted to talk about them in Fan Designs, or as a closed beta is that completely off limits?

dgorsman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #757 on: 04 November 2019, 14:11:36 »
Not a contributor, but I do participate in a number of BETA test programs.  They all have a private discussion board or forum; was one ever set up for MW:D, or was this intended to be a fully open BETA?
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Cubby

• Communications
  • Captain
  • Back in Black
« Reply #758 on: 04 November 2019, 15:49:13 »
I had some tweak ideas on the beta I'd love o discuss, but don't know what the protocol would be on he forums. Would it be permitted to talk about them in Fan Designs, or as a closed beta is that completely off limits?

Not a contributor, but I do participate in a number of BETA test programs.  They all have a private discussion board or forum; was one ever set up for MW:D, or was this intended to be a fully open BETA?

If I follow what you're asking, the closest thing to a private discussion board for the MW:D Closed Beta is probably the comment threads on Update #40, which included the links to the PDF and the Google Form for feedback.

However, as I've said upthread, the results of that Google Form are what I'm using to collect, organize, and present feedback for developer and management review. While I assume you're free to post your thoughts here on the forums or wherever else, the Google Form is what I'm looking at. There's just too much other internet for me to try to collate each and every piece of feedback not submitted via the method management requested.

FWIW: Earlier this morning, we surpassed 250 individual submissions to that form - some people wrote one omnibus submission with all their feedback, some broke out their feedback with one note per submission, so it's much more than 250 individual notes. The feedback itself has run the full gamut of specificity (and usefulness) from very particular rules interactions that we hadn't thought of but do need to address, to "this system is trash, the end."
« Last Edit: 04 November 2019, 15:51:42 by Cubby »
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Line Editor and Writer - Sarna.net Profile

Adrian Gideon

• Battletech Developer
  • Major
  • Freshly Minted Line Developer
« Reply #759 on: 04 November 2019, 15:55:48 »
Just to further the point home: the only thing the developers will be looking at is the feedback provided by the google form provided in the Kickstarter. Thanks.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech
Eater of Shit Sandwiches

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #760 on: 04 November 2019, 16:37:48 »
Just to further the point home: the only thing the developers will be looking at is the feedback provided by the google form provided in the Kickstarter. Thanks.

Not so much for dev feedback but to discuss tweaks and hacks with other players, like "guys I have a cool idea". I wasn't sure if that's permitted.