Author Topic: Nebula California Revisions and Supplements  (Read 33949 times)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: Nebula California Revisions and Supplements
« Reply #30 on: 29 April 2020, 18:25:23 »
So, is this thread open to discussion of other possible rules supplements and additions for Nebula California, like figuring out how small you can make an AutoMech, how to handle them using small craft or DropShips, etc?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #31 on: 29 April 2020, 18:28:59 »
Contribute away Gio as yes anyone can contribute.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 29 April 2020, 23:52:44 »
One of the things I've been wondering are the Syberian AutoMechs, and how to handle some of the edge case out there.

For example, Sounders have three-ton cargo bays. Why?  I came up with a small support vee drone for them, but how small can drones with the human-seeming cognitive capabilities of an AutoMech be built?

(Yes, I have visions of a 2-ton battlearmor style AutoMech that transforms into a VW Beetle.)

AutoMechs have colonized their solar system.  Do their DropShips use aerospace robotic controls or SDS drone controls?  How big do they build their ships?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #33 on: 30 April 2020, 00:55:03 »
I'd probably edge toward SDS systems myself.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #34 on: 30 April 2020, 19:37:38 »
Curious...

About the Syberian AutoMech's AutoMech City, Metroplex.

How would you build it, Mobile Structure?

TT

( Cause I own a Japanese version, in box. )
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 30 April 2020, 20:12:04 »
Curious...

About the Syberian AutoMech's AutoMech City, Metroplex.

How would you build it, Mobile Structure?

TT

( Cause I own a Japanese version, in box. )

I think the implication was build Metroplex as a superheavy 'Mech that transforms into a stationary structure. ;)  That'd still max out at 200 tons, though.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 30 April 2020, 23:17:09 »
But I wanna make a QuadVee Mobile Structure!

>:D

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #37 on: 01 May 2020, 18:22:47 »
But I wanna make a QuadVee Mobile Structure!

TT

I would love to see the building stats on that.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #38 on: 03 May 2020, 19:02:20 »
Had another thought/realization.

D&D 5th Edition and Pathfinder 2nd Edition were not around when Nebula California was written.

D&D 5th is less problematic as it's biggest change for these rules is how it handles spell casting and you can either use the existing method of spell level to determine AP or you can base AP off the level of the slot used.  Depends on what kind of power level you want for your campaigns.

Pathfinder 2nd Edition is more problematic with it's far more sweeping changes.  Enough so I am going to advise stick with 1st Edition for Nebula California use.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 03 May 2020, 19:05:07 »
Had another thought/realization.

D&D 5th Edition and Pathfinder 2nd Edition were not around when Nebula California was written.

D&D 5th is less problematic as it's biggest change for these rules is how it handles spell casting and you can either use the existing method of spell level to determine AP or you can base AP off the level of the slot used.  Depends on what kind of power level you want for your campaigns.

Pathfinder 2nd Edition is more problematic with it's far more sweeping changes.  Enough so I am going to advise stick with 1st Edition for Nebula California use.

I've not yet had a chance to play it, but I *really* like what they did with 5th Edition D&D, and it seems like it'd be a good match.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #40 on: 03 May 2020, 19:16:18 »
I've played 5th a few times and it is pretty decent of an overhaul.  I just subjectively like Pathfinder 1st better so I do feel like my stance of I'll probably never plan a campaign using it but I'll also not say no to anyone in my group who says "I got a 5th edition campaign, want in?" does come across as overly negative.

Haven't had a chance to actually play 2nd Edition Pathfinder yet.  Overall from my reading of it everything nice they have done comes with something I don't like to offset it and some of the stuff in there is overly pretentious "we so woke yo" that it does overly ruffle my feathers, probably more than it should.  I think I can get over some of that once I start playing and getting used to the changes though but I rather suspect it'll wind up similar to D&D 5th in I'll be rather unlikely to run it but if someone else in my group wants to I doubt I'll say no because some of the changes are kind of nice and like I said it'll probably be mostly a matter of getting used to some of the other stuff I don't like as much.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #41 on: 03 May 2020, 19:25:53 »
I prefer 1st edition Pathfinder too, though I'm in a 5e game (as "in a game" as anyone is these days).  Of course, I was also one of the extreme minority that liked 2.5e D&D.  It took me a while to warm up to Pathfinder, but 4e pretty much did it for me.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 04 May 2020, 12:27:06 »
Pathfinder 1E still allows the Polymorph any Object for the Fountain of Youth effect, if you can find a 15th level wizard willing and able to do so.  It will also cost 1200 gp according to the price list

(When you cast the spell to make them physically younger, you are setting the spell to Polymorph them to the same Kingdom, Class, Size, and Related to get +11, making the effect permanent)

Of course, a wizard with that spell likely has a 2+ year lead time for people paying for that service.

Let alone the other ideas for Industrial magic via resetting magical traps (Cure Light Wounds, Create Food & Water, Detect Disease, Cure Disease, etc).  The fun would be Wish arches that are magical traps, recasting a Wish spell to give whoever passes through the Arch a +1 to their Intelligence (on a 3-18 scale).  (Now to try and find where I calculated the costs and the size of the kingdoms/empires that would make arches like this for their people to walk through, depending on the reset rate: 1/day, 1/hr, 1/minute)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #43 on: 04 May 2020, 12:35:51 »
The scariest spells for Battletech to deal with are not the ones that do raw damage.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 04 May 2020, 13:44:26 »
The scariest spells for Battletech to deal with are not the ones that do raw damage.

( GM TT : )
An enemy Stinger-3G, decked out in purple colors with gold stars painted on it in an odd pattern casts * Polymorph-Self * unto itself. In a flash and some smoke, a visage of an Atlas stands before you! What do you do? Roll a D20, difficulty 18 for intimidation!

( monbvol : ) rolls 17, " Ah-oh... "

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 04 May 2020, 13:54:47 »

Wizard casting True Strike then firing the Mech's HVAC/2 when targeting the concealed enemy Mech's head at 35 hexes?

Of course since Pathfinder uses D20 and Battletech uses 2d6, all combat bonuses should be halved

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #46 on: 04 May 2020, 14:48:23 »
Heck even some of the lower level stuff like Sleep, Invisibility, Alter Self, and Charm Person could cause some real havoc with some imagination.

Though yes Awaken Construct and getting a Battlemech some Wizard levels would be absolutely hilarious/frightening too.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 04 May 2020, 15:38:35 »
Wizard casting True Strike then firing the Mech's HVAC/2 when targeting the concealed enemy Mech's head at 35 hexes?

Of course since Pathfinder uses D20 and Battletech uses 2d6, all combat bonuses should be halved
Oh yes, I can say from experience that's really scary.

Specifically, one of my pilots in an old - and not super serious - campaign had a light mech with a magical AC/2 (TN-7, 3 damage) and gunner skill 2. We put aimed headshots at TN+8. So his base to hit at somebody's head at long range was 7... 8)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #48 on: 08 September 2020, 00:20:07 »
With all the fanfics going on with the Nebula California that I have been writing I figured it might not be a bad idea to revive this thread to talk about a few things that still aren't really covered.

The biggest is how skills translate.

To me Craft: Alchemy would come with a fair bit of what would be Interest:Chemistry and I wouldn't be too bothered by Science:Chemistry either for AToW skills it'd help replicate.

Knowledge skills get a little tricky.

Part of it is me wanting to poke fun at the things that are a bit magical/physics breaking in Battletech.

As such I'd have no real trouble with Knowledge Arcana giving insights to the fusion reactors, jump jets being so tiny but still able to propel mechs as far as they do, armor plate working the way it does, K-F jump mechanics, and the dark magic that allows the physics breaking fuel efficiency of even ASFs.  Maybe even physics in general.

I can at least somewhat justify the K-F jump mechanics thing a bit because D&D and Pathfinder both seem perfectly willing to accept that there might be other planets and they both seem to be willing to treat them as effectively different planes of existence and thus traveling from Earth to Mars could be done with a Gate spell but not taking additional precautions before stepping through would lead to bad ends.

Dungeoneering is probably the most difficult to really figure out what to call it in AToW terms.  It allows for figuring out how far under ground one is and there are additional benefits to having it that I'm certainly forgetting as I write this and I'm being too lazy to look them up.  Plus if you're going to do this for a campaign there is just a lot you'll have to look up and decide for yourself for all these skills.

Engineering covers all sorts of stuff.  Architecture, mechanisms, and more.  How this one translates is one of the three that really depend on what kind of flavor you're going for as far as the D&D/Pathfinder side of the equation goes because there is just enough in various monster ability and spell descriptions that you could even have this skill justify an understanding of electricity, how to generate, and use it.  Or how to build a fully functional submarine.

Local and Nobility to me always overlapped a bit to me so I'll cover them together.  These really would be the equivalent to Streetwise and Protocol in a lot of ways.

Nature seems pretty self explanatory to me so I'll not be going into it in any detail.

Religion and Planes are the other two skills that I referred to earlier that are really going to depend on how you want to work the D&D/Pathfinder side of things.  Like I said earlier both D&D and Pathfinder seem to be willing to treat other planets as effectively different planes.  So this too could be an excuse to have a character know a few things about K-F mechanics and other worlds.  Heck thanks to items like the Codex of the Infinite Planes Knowledge Planes also seems like it comes with a bit of quantum theory as well.

Religion is primarily troublesome with the potential clashing of Religions from extra planar travel.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 08 September 2020, 01:46:48 »
  The biggest is how skills translate.

To me Craft: Alchemy would come with a fair bit of what would be Interest:Chemistry and I wouldn't be too bothered by Science:Chemistry either for AToW skills it'd help replicate. 

One idea might be that Craft: Alchemy requires knowledge of how reagents change in active magical fields.  For example, you might have a chemical reaction occurring, but thanks to the occult symbols on the container you are producing penta-hydrogen oxide, instead of Hydrogen oxide.  Some chemical reactions are less likely than others, and thanks to magic those can be selected for.  You can also have magic replacing the standard ionic and covalent bonds, so magical Nitrogen dichloride has its spare electron paired with a bit of magic to for a pair partner.  Stabilizing the result so the magic doesn't wear off is also important if you want to keep your eyebrows

You basically want to avoid the magical equivalent of this (caution, NSFW language)
« Last Edit: 08 September 2020, 01:48:49 by idea weenie »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #50 on: 08 September 2020, 09:12:25 »
Craft Alchemy doesn't require the user to be a magic user, have Knowledge Arcana, or Spellcraft in Pathfinder so it seems entirely mundane.

Brew Potion is where the magic comes in.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #51 on: 08 September 2020, 14:03:27 »
Might as well link here what I have now:

HyperTUBE eXtreme!!! (Stargate/Welcome to the Nebula California)
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=69113.0

Nebula Confederation (StarTrek/Welcome to the Nebula California)
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=68581.0
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=68571.0

These are cool
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #52 on: 08 September 2020, 14:11:20 »
I have been thinking about other properties that could use a Nebula California entry but I have to admit I think we're out of mainstream ones that work.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 08 September 2020, 14:25:35 »
I have been thinking about other properties that could use a Nebula California entry but I have to admit I think we're out of mainstream ones that work.

I think so alternatively there could be

Power Rangers,? Just restrict it to one plant and have them be the crew of a tripod?

Thunderbirds/Captain Scarlet/Stingray combined universe a single planet protected by a security agency against a Moon based terrorist agency which might be aliens from the Star Empire

SeaQuest a planet with lots of collosus sized Submarines

I would say Fallout but there's a Canon world which essentially has it already
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #54 on: 08 September 2020, 14:28:58 »
Seaquest is also something that is largely already in game too with all the super large naval support units.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 08 September 2020, 14:45:07 »
Seaquest is also something that is largely already in game too with all the super large naval support units.

True shadow run, crimson skies or leviathans could be fun too

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #56 on: 08 September 2020, 15:11:12 »

Well I had an idea for Gunbuster/Diebuster, but that changed into something completely different.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #57 on: 08 September 2020, 15:29:21 »

I would love to see it. OR something close to it. Can you put Warship grade NL on a Support Sub??? Seaquest had lasers and a talking Dolphin!!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 08 September 2020, 15:37:12 »
I would love to see it. OR something close to it. Can you put Warship grade NL on a Support Sub??? Seaquest had lasers and a talking Dolphin!!

The big blakist one at the end of the Jihad had capital missile and I think lasers i remember the Rattler having lasers

As its already in universe just not used much im not sure if it would fit with the Nebula twist

Theres also Battlestar?  Maybe instead of multiple systems its one with hundreds of moons and the fleet are hiding from proto caspers or by that nuts automated jumpship that was mentioned in a boomdoogle

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #59 on: 08 September 2020, 15:47:58 »
Battlestar only adds another funky FTL option, everything else can be done in Battletech already.

And yes I am pretty sure super large support vehicles can mount capital(though more practically subcapital due to weight) weapons.  Just normally can't use them like Seaquest does.

For the talking dolphin do we really need that?

Power Rangers could easily be a DEST Superheavy Tripod team.

Likewise Thunderbirds and whatnot don't really seem to add anything new.

Not familiar enough with Gunbuster/Diebuster but suspect anything it would add could be replicated in Battletech proper or via something else already in the Nebula.

Register