Author Topic: Cross-Grain Movement & 2x1 maps.  (Read 2118 times)

whiteshadowzo

• Master Sergeant
  • I was raised by a cup of coffee
Cross-Grain Movement & 2x1 maps.
« on: 19 August 2019, 23:29:17 »
Have an old fan made manual pub. '02 that discusses cross-grain movement. Apparently you turn half MP to a hex point then are restricted to move zig-zag to another hex and then spend another half MP to face a side. The upside is that each zig and zag is only 1 MP as opposed to the normal 2 it'd take to turn and move forward. Does anyone use this and how does it impact games?

Seems Catalyst is creating battlefields by bumping maps side by side and not head to tail. That seemed like an odd thing to do. Units want to move straight for max movement modifier. Having units constantly turn or make long strides along the edges of a parallelogram seems detrimental to slower units and really bogs them down. Seems like cross-grain movement could alleviate that.
it's a bit comforting knowing that to fire we're a same color- flammable. ~Orin J.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Cross-Grain Movement & 2x1 maps.
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2019, 11:39:13 »
Quads have a SPA that does that sort of thing . . . its not really a big problem b/c . . .

Military units do tend to move on the oblique

and

Torso twist and the front arc keep your weapons on target- even if moving at that angle you will still be unlikely to take damage to that 'side'
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

General308

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2019, 16:59:29 »
It isn't really a problem

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2019, 08:14:18 »
Cross grain movement(good term BTW,) was a bit of brain twister for me when I reading the urban combat section of BMR.  I hadn't seen the City Hills 1/2 or City Grid/Park 1/2 maps so when I read about streets and buildings and cities, I thought about Manhattan, with streets at right angles.  Moving uptown is easy but cross street?  If you don't want to risk skidding, even a Firemoth, but would be limited to about 5 hexes of crosstown movement. Then I saw a hex based city grid and it made a lot more sense.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2019, 11:11:52 »
Cross grain movement(good term BTW,) was a bit of brain twister for me when I reading the urban combat section of BMR.  I hadn't seen the City Hills 1/2 or City Grid/Park 1/2 maps so when I read about streets and buildings and cities, I thought about Manhattan, with streets at right angles.  Moving uptown is easy but cross street?  If you don't want to risk skidding, even a Firemoth, but would be limited to about 5 hexes of crosstown movement. Then I saw a hex based city grid and it made a lot more sense.

Yeah, the MM city maps I have built have 3 and 7 hex long city blocks on a 32x32 map.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Register