Author Topic: Talk to me about ... using infantry in gmes  (Read 7689 times)

pat_hdx

• Sergeant
Re: Talk to me about ... using infantry in gmes
« Reply #60 on: 16 January 2020, 17:08:43 »
3) Infantry armor.  It's cheaper than you think.  Divisor 2 armor is in three places in AToW: Davion and Lyran Armor Jackets, and Ballistic Plate Vests.  All three don't slow you down, and make you much harder to kill.

I think the Marian Infantry Kit does too, and it has like a really good helmet, all for a good price. I want to say in Megamek you can also get that 2 divisor with a marine combat suite.

The other thing I'm not sure has been mentioned is that Infantry is really good for scouting out buildings ahead of your Mechs/Vees to see which buildings have basements or not. I like fighting Small town maps in Megamek with some woods, water, and elevation changes, with random basements. If I know that during the fight one of my big boys may have to smash through a building, I'll try to jet some jump infantry in that direction to check it out first.

Between the spotting for indirect fire, and the scouting of buildings, I feel it is almost irresponsible not to have some infantry in your unit.

It's too bad that Princess seems to have real hate on for infantry, I don't know what in the programming drives it, but it seems that Princess will go out of its way, and ignore beefier targets if an opportunity, to blast infantry in a building appears, even if they are halfway across the map

Challenger

• Warrant Officer
  • Six or Styx
    • My Fanfiction Stories
« Reply #61 on: 16 January 2020, 17:13:38 »
It's too bad that Princess seems to have real hate on for infantry, I don't know what in the programming drives it, but it seems that Princess will go out of its way, and ignore beefier targets if an opportunity, to blast infantry in a building appears, even if they are halfway across the map

Just shows she has a heathy respect for the Queen of the Battlefield. 😉

Challenger

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #62 on: 16 January 2020, 17:53:35 »
Until some Joker calls in for the King to lace the field with shrapnel...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 16 January 2020, 17:59:30 »
It's too bad that Princess seems to have real hate on for infantry, I don't know what in the programming drives it, but it seems that Princess will go out of its way, and ignore beefier targets if an opportunity, to blast infantry in a building appears, even if they are halfway across the map.

Most of the time they're a relatively easy unit kill.  Reducing enemy numbers quickly is good for many reasons.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Challenger

• Warrant Officer
  • Six or Styx
    • My Fanfiction Stories
« Reply #64 on: 16 January 2020, 18:05:44 »
Until some Joker calls in for the King to lace the field with shrapnel...

TT

To be fair that is why I prefer battle armour mounted in IFV’s these days. Artillery is usually an annoyance to my mechs, but absolutely lethal to the accompanying infantry/battle armour.

Off topic I know, but its one of the reasons I like both sides to have some artillery in games. It forces people to remain mobile and avoid clumping up in deep cover.

Challenger

pat_hdx

• Sergeant
« Reply #65 on: 16 January 2020, 18:25:08 »
Most of the time they're a relatively easy unit kill.  Reducing enemy numbers quickly is good for many reasons.

Yeah, but I’ve had it invest something like a company worth of fire on a squad (not a platoon mind you), enough to kill the squad and bring down the building down three times over, while ignoring my Guass Rifle Demolisher in optimal range.  :o

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #66 on: 16 January 2020, 18:30:45 »
Then that was one heck of a good investment in a squad...

pat_hdx

• Sergeant
« Reply #67 on: 16 January 2020, 18:46:13 »
Yeah, hence the lamentation that Princess over reacts. I think a savy human player would spread out their firepower better.

It is one of those things that makes trying to get the difficulty level of megamek just right a bit hard.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #68 on: 16 January 2020, 18:48:14 »
Heh... it's even harder against human players... they tend to adapt much faster...  ^-^