Author Topic: Teaser for a proposed...thing.  (Read 141125 times)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Re: Teaser for a proposed...thing.
« Reply #780 on: 11 January 2020, 13:59:49 »
Actually the US Virginia class submarines got rid of the traditional periscope.  What they have in its place is effectively a digital camera on the end of an extendable mast.  It makes handling pressures easier not having to run a tube out of the pressure hull and through the sail, and makes the mast harder to pick up.  Though they have been putting shrouds on them to mimic a more conventional periscope, since the return and appearance is unique enough to tag the boat as a Virginia if it is spotted.

they'd be retrofitting electro-optical systems into the preceding classes for awhile as well. while they kept the analog periscope they started adding cameras and things like nightvision to it so you could make more use of the thing. with the Virginia they finally just decided that keeping the analog system was not worth the effort.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #781 on: 11 January 2020, 14:09:22 »
Post Hospital, Kiribati Island...

"No. You can't have him back." Elizabeth was on her feet this morning.  It wasn't a miraculous recovery.  Not really.  Being exhausted and drugged while medical personnel worked to repair the bulk of the damage her inaugural seizure had caused, this was temporary.

"He is a Warrior of Jade Falcon."  Nathan had no intention of doing more than the barest minimum necessary for appearances.  He knew what it would cost if they were defeated here...and they had been.

"Dragooned into your service, brainwashed, sent to fight your enemies." she said.  "I'll hand over anyone who wants to go home, but he is already home."

"Branded as 'Traitor' and 'collaborator' by your own people." Star Colonel Roshak scoffed, "Some home, at least among my people he is valued."

"I can fix that." Liz said it in a cocky manner that stripped years of imposed, artificial aging from her in spite of the streaks of gray in her hair,  "My brother is home now, thank you for bringing him home.  accept my thanks for you won't be taking him with you when you leave, and it may be the only thanks you will ever get."

"Who said I was leaving?" Star Colonel Roshak asked.

"I did." she said, "We had you beaten in the belts, we forced you to stop your attack, we forced you to the table.  Thrice I've beaten you now."

"You did not offer hegira." he said.

"I don't observe your sick rituals, clanner." she said, "I will see you safely out of my territory, out of my hair, or out of this life.  The Clans have nothing to offer me, that I desire or have use for."

He cocked an eyebrow.  "Is that so now? hmmm. I have something your sovereign may value, and thus, you will have to tolerate."

"What?"

"Well, this sham conference was only put to recess." He said.  "Let me suggest something to you, something you may find of...value." he crossed his arms, leaning against the doorway.  "You started something.  well, we started something.  The objective, the hidden hope, the return, the Crusade had, at its root, one, singular goal, one primary objective...and we have achieved it.  I will not be returning in defeat, but in triumph."

"Oh? what's that?" she asked carefully.

"You already said it. You even proved it." he smiled, "The Star League is reborn, or returned.  Operation: Revival has achieved it's central strategic goal, the restoration of the Star League. The only objectives left worth taking then, is securing the Clans as the leadership of that body-a process more of politics than simple warfare..." He buffed his fingernails on the lapel of his uniform, "...which your Archon Prince knows as well as I do. Without us, your Star League would not be, without the threat we pose, it will not hold, and I suspect if your Archon does not know this, her Husband told her, for Hanse Davion is nothing, if not a great strategist.  Without the Clans, where will they turn for the enemy to unite them? Hmm?"  he stared through his fingers, "You need us, just as we need the Crusade."

"A permanent state of war??" she scoffed.

"Yes." he said, "Though I would not go so far as to call it 'permanent'.  Long-term.  a Long-term war, until the fractious nations of the Inner Sphere cease to be fragmented, and fratricidal, and they look upon one another as members of the same species."

"a cold war." she said.

"yes.  you need this.  We are happy to provide." he said, "or at least, my trothkin will be happy to provide.  I'm staying here."

"OH, the hell you are!!"

"Let's make a bet." he said, "I will give you a choice.  Defeat me in battle, Duchess. a contest of will and wit.  If I win, you must set aside a territory, on your main continent, for use by my Clan, as an Embassy-to the Star League." he said, "Ask your Archon whether she will approve. I dare you."

"not falling for it."

"I double-dog-dare you." he said.  "Ask, if she says no, then we will leave this as simply a what-if, but if your archon says yes, you will face a trial of possession." 

"For where?"

"I am told the City of Hue is...welcoming to foreigners...and has been for as many generations as the rest of your people have been insular and resistant to outside influencers.  Hue, and the territory of that peninsula will be the prize.  on my victory, that territory, but not the residents, becomes Jade Falcon territory, an Enclave, which we will defend, where our law is followed and our culture is not interfered with...and safe conduct will be given for the remainder of your life to our merchant and any necessary defensive traffic."

"My life."

"Your life." he said, "It is perhaps a bit less disagreeable than the Truce period imposed on us by Ulric Kerensky and Anastasius Focht."

"Nick!" she shouted.

The Cylon entered, Nathan stepped aside adroitly.

"Get Johnson, fire up the briefcase..." she turned to Roshak.  "I can't wait to see your face when she says 'no'."
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #782 on: 11 January 2020, 14:48:31 »
I can't wait to see the look on Liz's face when Melissa says yes  >:D
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #783 on: 11 January 2020, 14:55:46 »
if there is going to be a cold war, there will need to be a UN building where the nations involved can meet in peacefully. Kowloon is as good a place as any. especially since it already has ties to the cylon republic, which are a new player in IS politics, and i'm sure the Colonials and the Wolverines would be more than willing to install some embassies there.

hmm.. maybe make Hue an international zone similar to Solaris City.

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #784 on: 11 January 2020, 14:57:56 »
and it is above "the line" 

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #785 on: 11 January 2020, 15:05:39 »
I can't wait to see the look on Liz's face when Melissa says yes  >:D

I agree.... :rockon:

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #786 on: 11 January 2020, 15:22:21 »
Cannonshop I blame you for distracting me from my own writing.  You're not the only distraction but I still blame you.  :P

gladius

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #787 on: 11 January 2020, 17:07:47 »
I can’t believe he thinks the Khans would accept this: even the ‘smarter’ Crusader Khans want to become permenant ilKhan and essentially First Lord. They don’t just want to recreate the SL, they expect to rule it. Any home grown League without them is patently false, a sham and a mockery of the Glorious Futere under Clan rule.

Honestly? Melissa has very little incentive to say yes: she’s still a Lyran, and knows a bad deal when she sees it.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #788 on: 11 January 2020, 17:29:14 »
I can’t believe he thinks the Khans would accept this: even the ‘smarter’ Crusader Khans want to become permenant ilKhan and essentially First Lord. They don’t just want to recreate the SL, they expect to rule it. Any home grown League without them is patently false, a sham and a mockery of the Glorious Futere under Clan rule.

Honestly? Melissa has very little incentive to say yes: she’s still a Lyran, and knows a bad deal when she sees it.
It keeps the Clans fixated on a planet above the truce line. A self-sufficient planet that has already proved it can smack an entire Galaxy around before they make planet fall. A planet that's in the middle of a gravitational minefield that makes feeding in additional troops difficult to say the least, and has an abundance of space-based defences and strong points.

Think of it as a Lyran Wolcott, but with more Canned Sunshine.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #789 on: 11 January 2020, 17:55:41 »
*nod*

Melissa would know how fragile this new Star League is and would know it is mostly an alliance of enlightened self interest that wouldn't survive the defeat of the Clans.

For the Khans?  It is all in how you present it to them if they'll go for it and there is a way.

What will be interesting is if Kowloon can sustain the conflict.  With all the drastic and rapid changes 'Liz made to the government and economy I'm actually surprised they haven't had some economic woes already and no economy can sustain a full war footing forever anyway.

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #790 on: 11 January 2020, 20:42:35 »
Kowloon can not sustain war forever but the Fedcom can.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

LordsFire

• Recruit
« Reply #791 on: 11 January 2020, 20:57:26 »

True.

But Nathan Roshak is a True Idealist. One of the common flaws of such, is not realizing how many of their ideological 'allies' aren't actually idealists, but in it for the power, prestige, and wealth.

Of course, if the House Lords say 'We will send our armies here to fight you,' a lot of hotblooded Clan Warriors are going to want to head out there anyways.

This also has interesting potential implications for Katherine's long term career.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #792 on: 11 January 2020, 20:57:47 »
Kowloon can not sustain war forever but the Fedcom can.
More importantly, the Star League can

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #793 on: 11 January 2020, 21:09:33 »
Not even the Star League can sustain a full wartime economy forever.

Especially when it'll cause strain on the member states that don't have active fronts against the Clans.  That would be a good way to breed resentment from those nations and that in a nutshell was one of the reasons the canon second Star League fell apart.

Heck you can see the economics of the canon timeline contributing to the break up of the FedCom if you know where to look.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #794 on: 11 January 2020, 21:51:40 »
Nathan Roshak

The answer from the Archon was to ask more questions, but it wasn't 'no'.

Instead, it was;

Contact your Khan and schedule a meeting for Noon tomorrow via that little setup Elizabeth Ngo has on Kiribati Island.  we will hammer out the details of the trial, and the victory conditions directly.

-Victor Steiner Davion,
For the Archon Princess Melissa Steiner-Davion

"The answer was not 'no'." he said to her, and silently marveled at her expression when thwarted.

"You know who that is?" Elizabeth asked, "That's Victor Steiner Davion, the guy who kicked your asses on Twycross!"

"I know who he is." Nathan said, "He is proof your leaders are taking us seriously."  He knew his eyes were twinkling as he said "So, how does it feel to be out of the driver's seat?"

"you're an ass."

"I have been called far worse." Nathan said lightly, "I require a ride to the Emerald Talon for myself and Star Captain Dorothea Harper, and a ride back once we have contacted the Khan for our orders."

Liz sighed, "Jack...tell me this is the drugs?"

"Sorry mum. Not the drugs." the second robot said.  Nathan felt a little crazy-he could tell the two Cylons that followed her about apart, though they were nearly identical.  Jack was the one who lounged laconically nearby most of the time.

"Phone..."

Liz used a land-line to order an 'executive Transport Raptor'. 

The pilots were a pair of 'sharons'.

"Buckle up."

The trip to the Emerald Talon wasn't just fast, it was 'clear the atmosphere and you're there' fast.  Luckily, the climb out to the stratosphere was long enough to radio ahead, still, the Alert Aerostar was, well...taken by some surprise.

"You'll have to space-walk from here, Her Grace isn't contributing this one for your people to reverse engineer."  Sharon-one said, her accent was already thick with Vietnamese undertones.

Garbing up in pressure suits took a few moments, the shuttle's crew simply closed their faceplates and activated life support.  Nathan instantly envied them.

"Radio check."

"We read you. send on this channel when you're ready to return." Sharon Two said, her accented english having the hard guttural influence of German.

"Or don't. She would really prefer if you don't." Sharon one added.

Nathan responded with a laugh, and then, steeled himself for the spacewalk across to his Flagship.

Freefall isn't so bad, unless you have a reminder that not only is up down, and down up, but you can fall and keep falling in any number of directions for nearly infinite distances, suffocating or starving or freezing before some helpful gravity well sucks you down and makes you a pulp.

reminders such as the helpful placard on the hatch, in english, at eye level, right before he jumped across the gap, for example.  Completely unnecessary to remind exiting passengers that it is a very, very, long way to a hard pulping.  With illustrations.

The headdress of a Clan Jade Falcon uniform includes many features.  gas filtration, protective eyewear and hearing protection, night vision...and a recording camera.  This last bit slipped right by everyone, apparently.  Nathan's had been live since Tuesday, when he boarded the Anh Cu'ong, recording everything he had seen in areas of interest to the Clan.

This fed a drive, and the drive was the first thing plugged into the ship's communication console for transmission back to Khan Marthe Pryde, Loremaster Kael Pershaw, and the Clan's Council.

He did not have to wait for long for an answer.

There are very few warrior-caste in the Watch, and fewer still prominent, Bloodnamed Warriors with Watch connections, but Nathan Roshak always found that having an alternate means was a useful thing, ever since winning his trial of position using a bit of resourcefulness in place of pure firepower.

after all, 'seeing with Turkina's eyes' means just that, to Nathan Roshak.  Seeing, that is, rather than imposing an image based on assumptions and legends and dogma.

Dealing with reality, as it is, rather than as one wishes it to be, or more frequently, as one fears it might be.

"The Not-named want them, want influence...therefore, they should not be allowed to have it."  Khan Marthe Pryde, dealt in realities rather more often than her predecessor, in Nathan's opinion. She was still so stiff she could cut glass with her softer parts, but she acted against the reality without the burden of arrogance or wishful thinking-at least as much as any warrior of the Pryde bloodline who made it that high.

she also, he knew, read the Clan's Watch reports.  Much to the chagrin of all but her most ardent opponent, Vladimir Ward.

"I want to experience this...remote conference for myself, Star Colonel Nathan Roshak, arrange it."  she instructed.  "The answer to your question is 'yes'."

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #795 on: 11 January 2020, 22:18:38 »
Kiribati Island, while Nathan Roshak is making his report...

the surprise for the Wolverines, was Elizabeth Ngo, flanked by her cylon bodyguard, at the gate to their temporary quarters.

"Duchess."

"Captain.  Let me lay it out for you cold.  The Falcons want an embassy Enclave here, and for whatever reason, the Archon is willing to let them do their stupid 'trial' thing to have one.  They're going to do this stupid, stupid ****** bidding thing at the meeting tomorrow for their ritualized ****** honor-for-honor's-sake-hold-the-honor-with-extra-honor garbage.  Prince Victor's going to handle bidding on our side, and I don't like it.  I wonder what I have to offer you guys to get something to balance that shit off with."

her language was foul, and she looked as if she had come here without getting sufficient rest, and she leaned on her cane.

she also spat blood on the flowers.  "So, you want an embassy? maybe a seat at the damn table too?  Because I am ready to deal."

gladius

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #796 on: 11 January 2020, 23:43:05 »
“I bid Leftenant Kai Allard-Liao.”

*brief pause as Jade Falcons confer*

“Your Highness, we may need to send back to the Homewords for reinforcements.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #797 on: 11 January 2020, 23:50:16 »
Looks to me like Liz is still in charge of the situation.  I really would have thought Victor would be busy reclaiming FedCom worlds by now...

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #798 on: 11 January 2020, 23:56:12 »
That's Kat job in this verse.  xp

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #799 on: 12 January 2020, 00:02:27 »

:thumbsup:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #800 on: 12 January 2020, 00:09:58 »
V SD: "I bid Henry Ngo."
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

gladius

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #801 on: 12 January 2020, 00:38:38 »
V SD: "I bid Henry Ngo."
“Unfortunately, mr Ngo has asked for and received political asylum: given he is a natural born Commonwealth citizen and nobleman, we were honour bound to ensure he never returns to your slave state. Rest assured, our finest medical technicians are hard at work repairing the damage to his psyche caused by the efforts of your little cult. Would you like to bid again?”

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #802 on: 12 January 2020, 02:17:34 »

That would be hilarious.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #803 on: 12 January 2020, 02:20:56 »
we need an All-star team.
for headliners we should start with: Morgan Kell, Kai Allard Liao.
what other Fedcom personnel could we add?

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #804 on: 12 January 2020, 02:51:55 »
If there are any, add in a Cylon that is a MechWarrior.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #805 on: 12 January 2020, 04:04:17 »

*watches as Kai somehow one-shots an orbiting warship from the surface*

"Son of a..."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #806 on: 12 January 2020, 07:38:28 »
Thursday Evening, Wotan...

It wasn't enough that the Naval Reserve's star had been decisively defeated-massacre might even be a reasonable term, the flaws of doctrine laid bare for all to see.  It was that superior Clan Technology had clearly not been superior. 

Marthe studied the imagery from Roshak's report, looking for any sign of fabrications, her staff and the Scientists were also studying it.

"Why do they have that, and we do not?" she had asked the leader of the Clan's scientist caste.

"OvKhan, we do not even have a...a working theory." the man still hesitated in fear when presenting bad news.

"Figure one out." she said, "They have artificial gravity, they have tiny jump drives, their large jump drives are not restricted to spatial limits, some of them can land.  We do not have these capabilities, what do you need to create these capabilities?"

Downcast, the man looked at his feet, "I do not even know where to begin." he said.

"Figure it out, I am not my predecessors, I will not punish you for failing to succeed, but you will be harshly punished for failure to try.  poll your colleagues, dig through abandoned theories, whatever you have to do, I want at least five avenues of research submitted for approval to the Clan Council by Monday.  The spheroids have a technology they will not willingly share, it is ahead of our own, I want alternatives to counter it.  You are dismissed."

The presence...no, the continued existence of the Not-Named, and their decision to announce themselves after a campaign of covert strikes, at Kowloon, and their obvious intent to take such technology for themselves (suggesting they were not the source, but instead seeking alliances) added both complications, and opportunity.

The Wolves failed in the annihilation.  This much force it was not 'bad bookkeeping', it was utter and abject failure.

"and they lied about it." she muttered.  "They failed, and then, they lied to cover that failure up."

"Send these files to Khan Vladimir Ward of Clan Wolf." she instructed the communications techs, "Express delivery, use my name, and copy to the other Clans on the Grand Council, title it 'unfinished business'."

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #807 on: 12 January 2020, 07:52:35 »
Damn it, Marthe, you're supposed to be smarter than that...

Hotpoint

• Master Sergeant
  • Rumours of annihilation are grossly exaggerated
« Reply #808 on: 12 January 2020, 07:57:12 »
The Wolves failed in the annihilation.  This much force it was not 'bad bookkeeping', it was utter and abject failure.

"How did so many of the Not-Named escape the Annihilation?"

Clan Ghost Bear:

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clan_Ghost_Bear#Wolverine_Annihilation
« Last Edit: 12 January 2020, 08:04:55 by Hotpoint »
"A dread fear rests deep in the heart of Clan Coyote that one day a lawyer will arrive on Tamaron talking about intellectual property rights, the Mercury II and the Coyotl omnimech and this will herald the end of the Clan as the Not-Named sue their asses into bankruptcy for patent infringement" - The True History of the Clans (Dark Caste Press: 3050)

Hunted Tribes - Hotpoint's Battlestar/Battletech Crossover Series

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #809 on: 12 January 2020, 10:18:57 »
Damn it, Marthe, you're supposed to be smarter than that...

She's smart enough to recognize a game-changing situation, the loss of a fleet, and the Wolverines being 'out and alive' in front of the Inner Sphere. 

at this point, the Clans collectively would run out of ammunition before they can kill all the witnesses (and that's assuming everyone stands in nice, neat lines to be murdered, and doesn't fight back).

and that's also assuming she could somehow get all of the collective might of the Grand Council, plus every Brian Cache, plus all the warrior failures in the lower castes, together to operate the guns.

from ALL the clans.

And, so far, they don't know where the Not-Named are actually mustering, only that they showed up and caught the Spheroids by surprise. (Suggesting, broadly, that the Lyrans, at least, didn't know they were out there.)

By being all 'alive in public and not annihilated' the Wolverines have created a significant dilemma for the Clans of Kerensky as a collective whole.  Doing so in front of the inner sphere, and having that fact broadcast to every successor state's government...

There's no convenient 'damage control' possible and if she turned out to know about it and not said anything before the rest find out on their own?  well...

That can be BAD

it's created a 'what to do?' situation; The Grand Council accepted the Annihilation as having been completed.  This is clearly not the case. Someone misplaced a McKenna Class Warship, not to mention whatever else might be missing/not accounted for.   The Wolvies can send a small fleet, and have allies, both of which the Clans have zero hard data on how many or where, but they have expeditionary capability and have demonstrated some of the same (or similar) game-changing technologies that Kowloon's put on display hammering first the Steel Viper incursion,a nd then, the Jade Falcons.

That is a serious security threat to the Clan Homeworlds-the Wolverines jumped a warship into orbit over Kowloon, it even got seen by Clan sensors and is not a bluff-they did,iow something theoretically so impossible Clan science didn't think it was possible at all, this rewrites the naval doctrine, shreds it, rewrites it again.

Further, it's in a place that has demonstrated no hesitation at deploying ship-to-ship nukes, and the ability to do so suddenly and without warning, making a massive risk to any invading force in a system that's hard to navigate into with a large force undetected.

Means finishing the annihilation, even with the combined might of the Clans, is a project for 'after we close the technology gap'.

She's getting in front of the problem, which puts the Jade Falcons in a higher position to host the IlKhan, the situation itself opens issues as well-they Know their histories are edited, with this many witnesses, the basis of the Annihilation can, and will, be called into question and information control is going to be steadily less likely the more successfully they hold the invasion corridors.

makes pulling back to a warden stance look safer? not quite.

See, the Wolverines are doing diplomacy with powers that outnumber the Clans centillions to one.  Because Marthe is not an idiot she knows she needs to find a way to stall for time if she wants to preserve the Clan society, ease them through the shocks, and, well...not face being annihilated by trillions of people who have, over the last four years, gained a reason to really hate the Clans, and have at least two sources showing where the Clans keep their stuff.

She's also aware that the powers of the Inner Sphere are really, really experienced at making wholesale slaughter-the very thing Nick's rules of warfare were meant to prevent, and they have a history of doing so, especially when united, and finally, the last game changer, is that the Star League has been reformed.  a mutant, evil, dark star league from her perspective, but it means infighting and mutual suspicion aren't going to be working to the advantage of the Clans when, not if, this new Star League, with thousands more factories and a vastly superior population base to send, come knocking with attack ships that can be on top of your bases or capitals before the detection grids even hint they're on the way.

she's buying time, and looking for some way to come out on top.  Roshak's plan gives her a leg up on doing that.