Author Topic: Teaser for a proposed...thing.  (Read 141277 times)

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
Re: Teaser for a proposed...thing.
« Reply #1260 on: 27 January 2020, 01:54:19 »
So when does the word of toasters join in the fight ageist the chrome nations from the deep black. Want to see what the master has to say about the clans joking the star league and everyone else reaction to Vic and one getting hitched.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1261 on: 27 January 2020, 02:19:59 »
Arluna System Fuel Dock...

The arrival of a Tyllium Drive warship wasn't news as it might have been in the past.  as one of the few sites on this side of the Inner Sphere with the rare and valuable fuel, and with the Kiribati installation on Kowloon, the repair yards and so on, as well as the spreading and growing utilization of Raptors and jump capable fighter designs in the Star League Navy and various 'coast guard' forces, the Trung/Silvermann refineries are one of the nicer amenities a given star system can host-and a major income source for many worlds whose other economic engines had been stalled.  The Trung/Silvermann energy corporation was even licensing out the refining technology to 'Franchise holders' in the Federated Suns, and had negotiated partnerships with Falcon Industrials (GMBH), Wolfcorp, and the merchant castes of three other Clans in the homeworlds.

all to fuel the forces hunting Cylons.

at least, officially. Unofficially, Liz owned 30% of the company along with 22% of Ia Drang Aerospace, the primary contractor for "Kobolian Jump Drives" in the Federated Commonwealth and sole source supplier of Raptors to the Draconis Combine through Wakizashi Aerospace. 

Liz also funded and fronted New Circe's export efforts, mainly as a competition driver and source of hard, liquid cash for New Circe, but the fuel market in the Inner Sphere was sixty percent owned by Kowloon's Rockjacks.  The remaining thirty percent were paying a modest royalty that only covered the initial process tooling-any innovations were not, under contract, owned by either Ngo Industries or their subsidiaries-thus creating a market that pushed innovation and encouraged competition to service the customers.

What her legal department was brutal about, was collecting negotiated fees for patented processes for equipment purchased, rather than developed, and assuring that license fees already negotiated were paid in full, and on time.

the Arluna dock contained a minor shipyard, and a full charging station for standard jumpships, including a safety inspection crew with maintenance personnel.  This was simply good business-standard jumpships of a certain...age need and often go without standard annual and periodic maintenance. The Coast Guard docks offer the inspections for free, and generous terms (at times exceedingly generous) on doing the necessary safety checks and welfare maintenance for small operators, thus keeping them in business and reducing both piracy, and accidental losses, which in turn, reduced insurance premiums on routes that included these 'Service Stations'.

making them somewhat in demand as a booster to local economies.

"So who came up with these?" Commodore Ferry asked.

Liz looked thoughtfully out the viewport at the docking station, with its traffic.  "I don't remember." she finally said, "I think Li did, but it might have been Pham.  we were kicking around ways to get commerce into systems that were falling off the end of bankrupt and cut back on illegal activities.  we discussed a couple of merchies that were overdue at the time...oh, I remember, it was Pham. He started really going to town about the terrible shape the smaller outfits were in due to a lack of regular maintenance, the cost of parts, and the high insurance premiums. It all kind of flowed out from there. We added the Tyllium fueling docks after we started selling Raptors to the AFFC and needed to expand refining."

"We? officially you aren't holding controlling interests.."

"I own the debt." Liz said, "Ninety percent of the franchises don't have the liquid cash, so I loan it to them at half a percent interest compounded every five years.  I write the losses off on taxes, and pour the profit into my other projects." she turned to the Commodore, "I'm building infrastructure here, I make a small profit, and most of that goes back into it.  I employ an army of accountants to keep track of my accountants, but the university is funded, and eventually the loans will pay off, meanwhile we get a little better defense against Entropy.  mankind gets a little bit further out of this dark age we're in."

the hull vibrated as the fuel dock connected.

"seems kind of long ranged, Duchess." He said, "You can't expect to see it pay off in a human lifetime."

"I don't expect to live to see it pay off at all." Liz said, "but maybe your grandchildren might, or your great-great-great grandchildren, after we've re-learned everything we lost, and renamed the things we've forgotten."

she checked her watch, "Duty calls."

He joined her, at the Raptor, and they flew across to the Cutter currently 'on duty' in the Arluna system.

"Trau Cuk Ky, the commander of the Sarah Jennings?"

"same guy." Liz asserted, "It was going to be the Nueva Pueblo, like most of the Block 4 Mark Three Sampan class, but then, one of my men decided to put himself, his ship, and his crew between Entropy and a bunch of jumpships, saved them from God's greedy wrath."

The trip over was relatively quick.  Ferry noted that the cutter's design was similar to, but completely different from, the Nueva Pueblo that fell through time into New Circe's grasp with 25 Coast Guardsmen who'd just vanished from a nightmare world.

the shuttle bay was clean, swept, and organized, the crew were alive, nobody embedded in a bulkhead, dying horribly, none of the structure was warped or burned.  this is what it looked like before...

The presence of Gravity plating showed some of the technical changes.  The tan-armored Centurions working with the deck crew were another.

the outer doors closed and the volume pressurized.

"I always love the looks I get..." Liz told him, as she unsealed the hatch.

"ATTENTION ON DECK!!" a Spaceman First shouted, her helmet faceplate JUST unsealed after the lock lights turned green.

"As you were." Liz announced, "Where's the Skipper?"

"Here mum." and Ferry felt his heart stop.

Linda Sithers.  Seether...only thirty years younger and without the Flu scarring.

"Lieutenant Commander Sithers! I adore your reports, very concise, very clear."

"Thank you mum...they didn't' warn us until an hour ago you were coming."

"I like to keep it a surprise." Liz said, "This is Commodore Ferry, SLDF New Circe.  Commodore, this is Linda Sithers, one of my best people.  Where's your aide, Sithers?"

"She's with the Vic, mum, down in sickbay."

"I know my way, carry on with your duties."

Part of Ferry's mind marveled that 'The Seether' had ever been that young, that fresh-faced...or that polite.

"I'll accompany you if that's alright, Mum." Sithers suggested.

"Of course, I may  be the owner but she's your boat.  Have the JAG officers been by yet?"

"Yes mum, Mister Crane was...theatrical, and Mister Mason was very serious, they were with Captain Truong, from the Spider Moon JAG."

"Excellent!" Liz was clearly pleased.  "Did the orders and writs I drafted help in managing that Tharkad-miseducated fool Wilder?"

"Yes'm. Security detachment reports no problems."

"I've half a mind to scare the dogsnot out of him, but two Centurion lawyers plus one of my corporate sharks should do the job nicely..."

If seeing 'young' Linda Sithers was a shock, the Ensign in sick bay, holding a bible and a young girl's hands, was a heart-stopper.

The last time he'd seen her, she was..older, and had died bringing the Testbed One back. it was the funeral.  Nicole Minh looked up, and almost bounced off the ceiling with the speed she reached a position of attention.  "At ease, Ensign. I see I must have disturbed you." Liz said, nodding to the bible.

"Ma'am, I was..."

"You were, I take it this is Miss MacAulliffe?"

the girl looked up, and her eyes went wide.  "The inquisitor!"

"Only the Press calls me that." Liz told her, "How are you feeling, are you being treated well? is the food okay?  Listen, you can call me 'Elizabeth'.  I'm going to make sure justice is done for you. Pinky-swear it, I will get the bastards that made this happen to you so they can't ever do that to someone else, or someone else's family, ever again."
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1262 on: 27 January 2020, 02:44:59 »
So in the new Star League, what are the rules on who sits on the throne as the 1st Lord of the Star League?

Five year term, requires a majority vote, no consecutive terms.  Theodore reaches the end of his term, he has to wait at least five years to stand for the position again, and that's only for another five years.  This method eliminates the succession problem, since there's no "Royal family" for an ambitious Amaris wannabee to assassinate.  One of the structural duties of the SLDF under this 'second charter' is to remove any First Lord who tries to exceed his term limit or claim consecutive terms.  Basically if, say, they put Thomas Marik in for five years, and he tries to hang on to the office past that point, his SLDF bodyguard is obligated to put a bullet in his head.

and everyone who sits the throne has to forego their own, household guards and rely on SLDF protection exclusively for the duration of their term as First Lord.  the SLDF protective detail is drawn from every member state's elite special operations units and functions like the Ebon Keshik does for the Clans-they foreswear all allegiances to their home nations and swear total allegiance to the Star League as a whole.

Regular SLDF units don't have to do this, but the protective detail does.  The trade of course, is that they are effectively paid a lot of money per annum and can choose any world they wish to retire to once they've finished their term as First Lord's Bodyguard.  (this is, again, to prevent an Amaris Coup scenario, kind of important considering who's on the Council...)

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1263 on: 27 January 2020, 04:13:18 »
Continued.

"but you have to do something for me." Liz said, "So I can do my job.  I need you to tell someone everything you saw and everything you heard for the last couple of weeks, and it's going to be hard, trust me, it's hard to do, the way it feels to talk about it when it happens to you, but you need to be strong so we can get the people that made this happen."

There was nothing 'cute' in Elizabeth's tone, none of the kissing-babies charm or cajoling.  Something in the way Liz was meeting the girl's eyes, as if she were...looking for something.

"ah'k'n do thet." the girl slurred her words with an accent so thick it took him a minute to understand.

"Good.  You're going to be taking on some responsibility, Debra.  Something I know you're not prepared for, and I'm sorry it has to be this way, but sometimes the person for the job isn't the one who's prepared, it isn't the one who's ready, it isn't the one who's got the best words, it's the one who steps up and does it."

"Step up'r step ahsahd?"

"Exactly.  Do you have someone assigned to help you yet?"

"um, Ah'm spendin' tahm wi' mistah voor-heez, an' Ens'n Meenh, mos'ly."

"Sithers, I know it's a pain, assign Chief Voorhies directly to Miss MacAulliffe's security detail, and assign a second Centurion for his alternate, let the boys know there's a promotion and a pay raise."

"Carers, like your bodyguards?"

"yes. she's going to need them, at least until Maggie arrives to pick her up."

"Maggie?"

"I'm fostering this young Noble to the care of Duchess Margaret Doons of Donegal." Liz said, "I filled out the paperwork on the way here, Maggie's been informed, now you are, Miss MacAulliffe is the new Duchess of Arluna, and Victor is going to give me hell for it, but he also gave me the authority to do it."

she turned back to Debra, "That also means you're going to find out what it's like to be fostered to Maggie Doons. I would pity you, Debra, but I don't have time."

Liz nodded to Commodore Ferry, "I'll answer questions on the way out."

They walked back to the boat deck before he asked.

"Why this kid?"

"I saw something in her school records.  Highly intelligent, prone to fights." Liz said, "suspended last year after she got into it with a couple of known bullies on school property, and she's been tested-that little hillbilly has a higher general-tasks IQ than I do...and she's got steel in her, waiting to come out, and a healthy motivation to do the right thing since she's experienced what it's like when someone in power doesn't.  I want her, Victor gave me the authority, drip-drap-drop, she's going to learn to be a Noble from the best teacher I know, and maybe she'll be able to prevent another one of these from happening."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1264 on: 27 January 2020, 05:02:02 »
It'll be VERY interesting to see Liz meet the other Seether...  ^-^

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1265 on: 27 January 2020, 05:14:20 »
If the Wolverines/Colonials are smart, they won't let Liz meet any of the time-jumping Coasties.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1266 on: 27 January 2020, 05:15:50 »
Liz has already met Nikki...

RobTClift

• Recruit
« Reply #1267 on: 27 January 2020, 06:12:30 »
<If the Wolverines/Colonials are smart, they won't let Liz meet any of the time-jumping Coasties.>

To late, she has met Nikki in energy form, while in that induced coma.

I'm willing to bet she noticed Ferry's reaction to meeting the younger Nikki and the Captain of that boat, she's going to ask Questions.

The time jumping Coasties will want to report in anyway and I doubt the Wolverines/Colonials are going to stop them.  They won't be breaking their hosts spec-op or cover as Liz will be there on the planet. 

I really want to see her reaction upon learning that the SLiE has a Casper (Nike).  Also there are two of her extended family members on the Planet, although the Captain might be dead unless they acquired the "Treatment" "Cousin Liz" underwent.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1268 on: 27 January 2020, 19:04:49 »
[out of story]
SHIT!!

I knew when I wrote the last few segments, I was forgetting something.

the Kids.  What the hell is going on with the kids?[/out of story]

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1269 on: 27 January 2020, 19:07:19 »
Hopefully that won't unduly delay more of your extremely entertaining writing...  ^-^

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1270 on: 27 January 2020, 19:08:49 »
[out of story]
SHIT!!

I knew when I wrote the last few segments, I was forgetting something.

the Kids.  What the hell is going on with the kids?[/out of story]

On the subject, what's Giao Pham and her crew up to? As I recall she was a close relative of Lizzie....

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1271 on: 27 January 2020, 20:28:37 »
SLS Zughoffer Weir, Arluna System...

To suggest that Elizabeth Ngo might not be a good parent, is to suggest that Richard Cameron, the First Lord assassinated by Amaris, might not have been a particularly good ruler.  It's obvious, and a lot of people (even today) will fight you over it.

Warships aren't normally a good place for small children, even when pulling VIP transport duty.  This problem is made worse, when the small child in question is exceptionally curious and intelligent, and being supervised by fairly regular adults.

in this case, the security staff of the SLS Zughoffer Weir are experiencing something of a security flap, as a five year old has somehow managed to get into the maintenance conduits between decks normally sealed off at action stations.

To Amanda, this is great fun.  So much to see and places to go.  For the shipboard security officers, and the Coast Guard Marines from the ducal family's protective detail, this is a nightmare made manifest, filled with terrifying thoughts of finding the little brat tumbling outside, frozen and dead because she was in the wrong place when a vent hatch opened.

and there are a number of such wrong places on a ship meant to remain shirtsleeves comfortable in the insulating vacuum of deep space, oh yes.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #1272 on: 27 January 2020, 20:31:28 »
So, did Nathan cop to his paternity yet?
« Last Edit: 27 January 2020, 22:18:51 by Nikas_Zekeval »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1273 on: 27 January 2020, 20:37:26 »
That's a good question...  ^-^

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1274 on: 27 January 2020, 20:52:51 »
So, did Nathan copy to his paternity yet?

Yes.  Once Liz 'took' him from Marthe, there was a whole public to-do about the wedding.  The duties of the Ducal Consort didn't change that much, except that he 'did the right thing' and married her in a semiprivate, secular ceremony shortly before their first child was 'born'.  (Liz had to endure hormonal treatments in order to breast feed the infant, since she didn't go through the full suite of changes from pregnancy.)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1275 on: 27 January 2020, 20:55:12 »
And THAT is a good answer!  :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1276 on: 27 January 2020, 21:03:54 »
Of course, I'm now wondering if Amanda behaves any better for her cylon minders...  ^-^

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1277 on: 28 January 2020, 10:57:28 »
Former main cargo area, currently the Drive Room of the Zughoffer Weir...

Big and interesting.  I can hide in there!

"Amanda Penelope Ngo, you come down here right now!"

She looks like Auntie Sharon, well, like an Auntie Sharon, She's not wearing a Coastie uniform or a suit, or a p-suit. She's right down there on the floor, looking straight at me.  I know she's not a Sharon I've met before.   I don't really know how anyone gets them confused, mom does, like she mistakes Rutger for Nick sometimes.

I better do what she says, when Nick uses that tone it means mom's gonna  be mad.

means I've been bad.

"...found her in the jump drive chamber, yes, she's safe...Have her up there in a few minutes sir..."

There's a spot where I feel super-light, it's like falling up.  I twirl and giggle, feeling for where it ends.

"One..." she's counting down. I better stop. but this is fun!

"Two!..you better not make me reach three, young lady!" she says.

"nhưng điều này là thú vị!" I shout and giggle again, upside down and almost out of reach.

I should have thought more about that-the tumble takes me out of the bubble of free-fall into the artificial gravity field, and she snags me fast, swinging me rightside up and it's even more fun!  I squeal "Lại! Lại!"

"English!" she's got me eye-level.

"Again! Again! that was fun!!" I tell her, "I was falling up!!"

"Ευχαριστώ τους θεούς που η Ήρα δεν ήταν έτσι."  she says, and I wonder why she's thanking the gods Hera wasn't like this.

she puts my feet on the deck, and her grip on my wrist is firm.  Like when Uncle Jack caught me playing with the fursnake nest on Auntie Evelynn's property.  They weren't going to bite me, I tried to tell him they were just enjoying my warm lap.

was this dangerous?  "What's wrong?" I ask, "is it like the fursnake nest?"

she stops.  "Fursnake nest?" she looks down, and kneels down. "what's a fursnake?"

so I start talking about the limbless creatures that live in the high desert overlooking the edge of the canyons, how they sun themselves, and bask, and how I didn't know you weren't supposed to pick them up and they were cuddly and liked my warmth on a cold july day, "...an' Jimmy's daddy said they're...'vennimis' an' that they're 'two-steps-an'dead' which doesn't make any sense 'cuz they got no legs, and they made me go to the doctor for this stuff that hurt real bad called annie-vennin..."

"Where was your mother?"

"Working.  Jack was watching me." I tell her.

"and your father?"

"Working. Mom and poppa are always working. They don't have time to have any fun." I confide, "I got to spend the whole trip up to the ship on daddy's lap though! am I in trouble? Like when I tried to make a flying cape like Hauptmann Blitzen?"

"I don't know.  What happened then?" she asks me.

"Oh, I thought I figured out how Hauptmann Blitzen flies, so I found some red cloth and some rods in the garden, and I tied it good, and went to the roof of the house-" I stop, "I broke my leg. I was four, I think. it was a long time ago."  I lift my leg, "But I'm all better now!!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1278 on: 28 January 2020, 11:32:33 »
Patient: Ngo, Amanda Penelope
Human Female

Blood type: O, tissue types are consistent with universal donor.  rejection spectrum solidly in the green.

catalogue:  healed concussion, old.  bite scar left arm, consistent with Pseudoserpentis elapsidae mammalia, traces of antivenin injections on shoulder and neck.  Healed break, right leg, pelvis, three ribs, right arm, bone scarring consistent with early childhood greenstick breaks caused by a long fall.  numerous minor scars to knees and hands. healed scarring on right shoulder consistent with boiling water or other liquid.  electrical burns on fingertips, healed, estimated six months ago.
Indications of numerous spider and insect bites, mostly around hands and lower legs.

Socialization: Patient is open about numerous activities undertaken to entertain herself, these often connect to the scarring and healed injuries.  seems blase' about pain or discomfort.  asked many questions about instruments and equipment in sick-bay.  Visibly more interested the more dangerous or forbidden an item appears to be but highly inquisitive mind, seems to seek constant stimulus, easily bored or distracted.  aggression and dominance factors are relatively high, but surpassed by active curiosity.  Memory testing and aptitude batteries show high potential intelligence.

Demonstrated understanding of Caprican Greek, German, English, and Vietamese, tends to revert to Viet or H'mong dialects in conversation while expecting others to show the same facility.

The kid is bored, lacks peer-level stimulus and shows indicators of a lack of habitual parental guidance and oversight. 

If she were one of ours, I'd be calling Social Services on her parents for neglect.  This child shows little to no understanding of 'dangerous' and a defiant/oppositional disorder when presented with anything 'forbidden'...

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #1279 on: 28 January 2020, 11:37:53 »
I wonder how long it will take until somebody tries to forbid her from doing the really safe stuff in order to keep her away from the dangerous stuff.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1280 on: 28 January 2020, 11:45:19 »
Unfortunately that'd be a deception that'd work once at best.

What'd work a bit better is if she were paired with a tutor that understands her particular proclivities and can guide them without making anything off limits.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1281 on: 28 January 2020, 11:50:49 »
Hours later...

Elizabeth finished reading the doctor's report and comments. 

"Well? should we be calling CPS in?"  Commodore Ferry asked.

"This basically says she's normal." Liz said.

"Normal?"

"when I was five I did a lot of the same things, I snuck into the back of granddad's truck when they were going out after a Broward Beast." she shrugged, "one of the few outings with Dad, before he and grandfather had their falling out, Patrick was livid, I'd messed with his rifle scope...I was five." she shrugged, "Amanda's a handfull, sure, and-"

"A 'handfull'?" Ferry wasn't convinced. he was visibly not convinced.  "Duchess Ngo, your daughter gave her guards the slip and played 'hide and seek' for three hours while we were on this stopover, she got into the drive room and climbed onto an actuator that would have ripped her to shreds if it was active!"

"but it didn't." she said.

"But...it didn't. yeah." he sighed, "I have children, Duchess. and grandchildren...you're not giving your child the attention she needs at this age."

"That's why we brought her along." Liz answered.  "I...I've never done this before! I'm trying not to be like-"

"like who?" He asked.

"don't let it out of this room, Commodore." she said, and looked into her glass.  "I don't want to end up like mom."

That registered.  elizabeth ngo's public file even mentioned it, the murder-suicide attempt.

"It wasn't the first time she hurt you, was it?" he asked.

she shook her head, and took another look around the room.  "no. it wasn't. I swore I would never be like that.  no electrical cords, or rubber hoses, no carefully making sure the clothes covered the bruises, no swearing secrecy or...I wouldn't be her.  I let Amanda...I let her learn for herself, instead of trying to beat it into her, okay? NEVER tell her her grandmother was an abusive bitch, she doesn't need to know because she'll never get that from me.  No kid of mine will ever live in fear of being caught."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1282 on: 28 January 2020, 12:04:50 »
[out of story]

For those who don't know what a Broward Beast is, it's an apex-predator animal, makes an armorbear look like Teddy Ruxpin, its got an armored body and a triple redundant circulatory system, three sets of jaws, six legs, and a triple nervous system along the spine, which is buried in the body.  Killing one is...challenging.  It's amphibious in lifestyle, a swamp dweller and fills the same ecological niche as a saltwater crocodile.  Killing one usually involves killing it, then burning the corpse before teh dormant young hatch and eat their way out of the mother. (They're hermaphroditic).  Eradication has yet to be fully accomplished, the usual choice is to send out a hunting party when 'sign' is found, corner it away from the water (to reduce the chance of the young getting away), kill it with multiple armor-piercing rounds, then burn the thing to ashes.
It can accelerate on land from 0 to 50 KPH in about ten meters, and weighs roughly 2.5 tons at adulthood.

[/out of story]

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #1283 on: 28 January 2020, 12:15:18 »
[out of story]

For those who don't know what a Broward Beast is, it's an apex-predator animal, makes an armorbear look like Teddy Ruxpin, its got an armored body and a triple redundant circulatory system, three sets of jaws, six legs, and a triple nervous system along the spine, which is buried in the body.  Killing one is...challenging.  It's amphibious in lifestyle, a swamp dweller and fills the same ecological niche as a saltwater crocodile.  Killing one usually involves killing it, then burning the corpse before teh dormant young hatch and eat their way out of the mother.
[/out of story]

Sounds like you need a gun that will set the target on fire too.

*Looks at the Firedrake*

Right, that has shit for penetration.  I wonder if anyone got a Darwin award for trying.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #1284 on: 28 January 2020, 12:30:47 »
Sounds like you need a gun that will set the target on fire too.

The phrase you are looking for is: "Let´s take off and nuke the site from orbit. It´s the only way to be sure."
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #1285 on: 28 January 2020, 13:42:06 »
The phrase you are looking for is: "Let´s take off and nuke the site from orbit. It´s the only way to be sure."

So the local Falcons suiting up in a Salamander suit to hunt one is considered a daring down bid?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1286 on: 28 January 2020, 13:43:38 »
So the local Falcons suiting up in a Salamander suit to hunt one is considered a daring down bid?

I think the correct term is "relaxing vacation in the tropics".

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #1287 on: 28 January 2020, 14:13:25 »
Well, it would explain the origins and name of the Bearhunter autocannons...
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1288 on: 28 January 2020, 15:36:42 »
First Stopover after Arluna...

Nathan held the airsickness bag for her, and held her hair out of her face, while Elizabeth re-tasted the breakfast she'd had prior to departing from the Arluna fuel dock.

"I...hate...jump...ship...travel." she groaned again.  "Where's Amanda?"

"Master Chief Rosenberg's with her in the head." Nathan said apologetically, "she's not got it as bad as you do..."

"It didn't used to be this bad for me, either...not until puberty."  she managed to pull herself, somewhat, together, "oh gawd, I didn't-"

"No, not this time."

"Oh good...that would have been even more humiliating."

Amanda came out ahead of her Marine guard, and looked disgustingly chipper. 

"No pukes?" Liz asked.

"No ma'am, she was dizzy and nauseated, but it passed quickly enough." Rosenberg confirmed, "She wants to see where we are."

"No." Liz said, "you, Miss A-man-da, are grounded, you scared the snot out of our hosts and were very rude to go where you weren't supposed to!"

"But MOMMY..."

"No buts, you went into places that could crush you like an Ijero berry! you're stuck with me until I say otherwise. It isn't fair to distress or frighten your hosts! Think what Auntie Alicia would say!!"

"but..."

"ahh?? what was that?" Liz asked.

"Yes Mum."

"good girl, now fetch mommy's tablet, it's time for your lessons.  I've chosen a good book for you to read to me."

"A...book?"

"yes, remember, if you don't know what the word is, sound it out so I can tell you!"

Liz brought the tablet, "is it a good story?" she asked.

Liz nodded, "yes it is."

Amanda settled on the floor while Nathan dealt with the mess in the bag.

"What is the title, Amanda?"

"Planet of the dead?" Amanda asked, "mommm"

"Read the book." Liz instructed.

"But Auntie Evelynn let me watch the movie!"

"And the movie isn't as good a story, it makes the Dead into just stupid killing machines without any reasons. read the book to me, Amanda, and use your imagination!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1289 on: 28 January 2020, 15:55:53 »
Overview in History

Patrick Linden's 25th century classic horror novel "Planet of the dead" has spawned 134 different adaptations, over 1000 negative critical reviews, 4 holoseries and the grindmetalcore album "Lucifer's Calculator" by the artist formerly known and Bill.  (Regal Records, New Avalon, 2503).

Most of the series, movies, and adaptations cut significant portions of the original book out, and substitute the enemy-du-jour for the titular conflict, while replacing the book's original hero (Spacer Third Class Tara Phipps of the fictional 'Galactic Patrol Cadet Corps') with a representative of: whichever government happens to be in power in the place where the adaptation, movie, or serialized holodrama is being made, a mercenary, an SLDF officer, or a scion of one of the various house Lords.  Virtually every Great House (and Clan Diamond Shark) have done an adaptation, or featured media blatantly stealing from the rough outline of the novel.

(Clan Spaniel's 134th season double-episode being perhaps one of the more sanitized versions.)

Not bad for a teen horror novel written by a man who would put out exactly zero saleable works besides the initial print run of 'Planet of the Dead'.

In the Annals of English Literature, the book is held up as exactly what you do not want to write, if you want your professors to like you.  This book made its author one of the wealthiest men on old Earth, and financed his descendants for somewhere close to the next two centuries of vigorous intellectual property lawsuits.

It remains as one of the longest and most enduring pieces of speculative fiction, but as mentioned before, most of the adaptations sanitize the original work, which surrounds the outbreak of a 'silicon virus' infecting a distant (Unnamed) colony world.  In the story, the heroine (Tara) finds herself trapped on a world overrun by 'zombies', zombies that are constantly trying to hurt or maim her, until she manages to escape them and make it back to her starship. Over the course of her harrowing experience, she loses her colleagues, friends, and immediate superiors as the 'zombie virus' overtakes them.

That's the version everyone sees on their home entertainment center, with the aforementioned changes.

In the actual book, things are somewhat different.  The 'victims' of the virus become conjoined in a mass consciousness, and are at first puzzled, then horrified at the actions of the protagonist and her crew-they attempt to communicate only to be constantly suppressed by the "EMP Guns" wielded by the 'heroes' and resort to attempting to infect the crew one at a time.

at the end, the mass-mind realizes their mistake-that their new shared consciousness was too alien, and opt for a different approach-subtly injecting Tara Phipps with a copy altered to work in harmony with her biology (Delivered in the final battle for the shuttle), and she goes into her cold-sleep capsule, only after that, learning the truth-that she had experienced first contact with alien intelligence, and had failed.

You can see why nobody wants to make a movie about that, now can't you?