Author Topic: Play it again Sam!  (Read 4752 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Play it again Sam!
« on: 10 December 2019, 13:21:21 »
What old video game was so good in its mechanics, story or options that if you could snap your fingers (for ease of getting it set up) would you play again?

For me . . .

Flight Sim-  Its got to be X-Wing Collector's Edition (1994).  Five campaigns, 3 in the original and 2 added, you get to play the run up to the Deathstar and the guide book was a fun read- poor Keyan Farlander.  I played this game so much later in high school that I started having dreams as a X-wing pilot . . . which is when I took a break.  What made the game even better was the Star Wars X-wing novels that used the game engine to describe the fighter action . . . and Allison made a few hints back to the guide's character.  Huh, Farlander ended up in X-Wing and Armada.

Sandbox-  Wing Commander's Privateer (1993) . . . sure it had a storyline you could play through, but four sectors to explore while avoiding the Kilrathi, pirates, Retros, and on occasion Confeds was always fun while you improved your ship and built a trading reputation.  Deciding on which guns to mount based on how you liked to shoot, what worlds to visit to make the best buck and how much to keep in your cargo hold were to me a good set of decisions to make.

Worldbuilding-  I liked Outpost (1994), a very science based colony planner game.  For one thing it introduced me to Holst's Planets since Mars was the main theme for the whole game.  Take your survivors from Earth, spread your colony above and below ground while preparing to send more settlers onward- Ad Astra!  To me it was a better version of SimCity.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Re: Play it again Sam!
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2019, 14:12:00 »
Loved X-Wing too but was a bigger fan of TIE Fighter. The quality of life improvements (like match target speed) they backported into the '98 remaster of X-Wing made the Rebel side more fun to play.

Ultima Underworld is my favorite game of all time full stop. It brought dungeon crawlers to life and would inspire the Elder Scrolls devs. The Stygian Abyss is massive and complex with a ton to see and do. Oblivion was a wild experience for me because much of what it brought to the table was what I dreamed they could have done with UW when I first played it in the early 90s.

A quirky little side-scroller RTS where you, as King Arthur and your trusty army, sallied forth and assaulted castles, goblin caves, and kingdoms on clouds.

I am never not down for this one. Still one of my favorite beat em ups

profoundly silly. I still quote some of the lines, though at this point I'm usually the only one that understands the reference.

It's questionable if there are games I put more time into. The later entries just didn't do it for me.

There are also a number of titles from the post-2008 indie games revolution I pick up without much hesitation - Crypt of the Necrodancer, Castle Crashers, Super Meat Boy, Hotline Miami, Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge, Hollow Knight, Rogue Legacy, Cave Story, Dustforce, etc

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2019, 15:17:40 »
Well, at least as far as the TMNT 4-player game goes, it (and the follow-up) is now available in one of those $400 mini game cabinets.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2019, 15:57:08 »
The Settlers. PC floppy disk version and English language. Got the game year ago and I play it occasionally. Still a beautiful game which has nothing to be ashamed of compared to new games made with RPG Maker. Runs just fine in DOSBox.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2019, 16:16:47 »
Good Old Games has all the old Star Wars Flight Simulators.  I haven't had any troubles playing the original X-Wing(which I actually like a little better because you could assign wingmen and based on their callsigns the game would even give them portraits) on my Windows 10 system.

Privateer is on there too but I haven't played much of it.

Probably the one I would actually love to see an update of but keep the combat system is Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil.  It is about the best implementation of D&D mechanics I've seen on PC and the story is pretty good too.  I just can't help but imagine someone taking that concept but applying it to a Pathfinder story.

Another one I'd like to dig up again is Star Trek Starfleet Command 3.  I used to have the disk but that got tossed in one of the great purges.  I loved the customization aspects and since all the data was in easy to edit text files I could remedy some of the games worse elements out pretty easily.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2019, 16:33:37 »
Arcade wise, GAUNTLET!!!!
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #6 on: 10 December 2019, 16:56:29 »
Oh, forgot about those . . .

I still have the discs, SF Command 1 was fun, got 2 and it was a bit more complex and let you play a 'sector' type campaign where you could win them for your side . . . 3 (02), IIRC had a voice-over by Patrick Stewart and dealt with TNG era?  I could NEVER get that to work right on XP.  I gave up a few years ago, but I still have the discs tucked away . . . found a link to a Direct X fix?  Do any of those Starfleet Command games still work with current Windows?

I also decided to go for a big throwback . . . SSI's Warp Factor (82)!  Straight up turned based battle simulation using a 16 tick turn, person vs AI (surprisingly good) or PvP . . . IP-infringing as hell, or they paid them off.  It used the ship outline of several properties (BSG, ST, SW) and a few they created as well as 'adjusting' the names of the 5 factions- Reman Star Empire, United Alliance of Planets, Klargon Empire, Imperial Pirates, or the Freemen.  Apparently the copy my dad got was the latter which was probably after a Cease & Desist from Paramount for Star Trek art w/ Federation & Klingon ships . . . still had Romulan designs for Reman.  Imperial Pirates had Cylon Raiders and TIE fighters while the Freemen had the Falcon (heavy weapons to the rear for running) and X-wings.

This is the box art I was used to-
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 10 December 2019, 17:22:32 »
Elite

I still have an old C64 and moniter that I will power up now and then and play.  Space trader and combat, outfit your ship and do what you do best.  Run expensive cargo into and out of systems, hunt pirates, and contracted work for the government.  Since 1984 I've not gotten to Elite, but I took a 2 week unauthorized vacation from school to play it, and burned up 2 C64 playing it.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #8 on: 10 December 2019, 17:41:20 »
It takes some work with compatibility settings but I play Orion Pirates every now and again on my system.  It's still less than 100% stable but crashes are few enough that they are not too big of a problem.

I run with XP service pack 2, 16 bit reduced color mode, disable fullscreen optimizations, and run it as an admin(I don't think this one is strictly needed though, just something I do when playing things in different compatibility modes).  There might be some other things you need to change in the actual configuration files too but I can't remember which ones they are now so picking them out might take me a bit.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 10 December 2019, 18:27:55 »
Tornado (flight sim).  Decent range of ordnance, including ALARM and JP233.  Excellent mission planning for up to 5 other Tornados in ground attack missions.  ADV (interceptor) was mediocre at best though, friendly air interceptors were pretty much useless.

I've got a hankering to take on a rebuild of Scorched Earth as a programming exercise.

Maybe SMAC (Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri).  Truly MASSIVE technology tree and unit type list, including customization, management options out the yinyang.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #10 on: 10 December 2019, 18:37:18 »
SSI's Wizard's Crown for me.  I went so far as to buy an Apple IIgs on eBay, and played the heck out of it until the power supply ate itself.  As soon as I have time (retirement is only 5 years away!), I'll get the specs off the cooked capacitors and replace them...

Arcade-wise, Garhkal has it exactly right... I even got my mom to break a $5 bill into quarters for the four of us playing once... Good times!  :thumbsup:

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #11 on: 10 December 2019, 19:41:53 »
Tornado (flight sim).  Decent range of ordnance, including ALARM and JP233.  Excellent mission planning for up to 5 other Tornados in ground attack missions.  ADV (interceptor) was mediocre at best though, friendly air interceptors were pretty much useless.

I had this one. Incredibly fun. Getting the loft bombing down so I could hit consistently was one of the most satisfying things I’ve accomplished in a game

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 10 December 2019, 20:51:43 »
Best mission I pulled off involved two flights of three, approaching two targets in opposite directions.  Each flight flew past the others target while launching ALARMs in loiter mode.  When the other flight made its run in and air defenses fired up you could see the ALARMs raining down earning them a clear run.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 11 December 2019, 13:13:13 »

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (Trilogy) [Eiyuu Densetsu Sora no Kiseki] - 2004, 2006, 2007

Never again have I had the opportunity to experience a series which so convincingly ruined an entire gaming sub-genre (Story-Rich RPGs) for me by setting unrealistic expectations for any and all follow ups. The graphics and system for the series hasn't aged all that well, the core gameplay loop feels dated (grindy) and the overall execution can feel almost tropeish at times, but somehow TitS feels like a masterclass of RPG worldbuilding and storytelling. It's a series that's earnest and honest about it's anime-esque JRPG roots and has put in a lot of work in creating an incredibly likable ensemble cast.

If there was a way to bludgeon myself upside the head so that I could experience the whole journey again with fresh eyes, I would.

MissionForce: Cyberstorm - 1996

While the designer responsible for the abominable neon lime green box should have been shot, Cyberstorm was a brilliant turn based giant robot squad level management game with combat that required an interesting mix of weapon types as well (with energy weapons stripping shields and ballistics and missiles shredding armour) and allowed for large scale deployment of giant robots (Up to 28 IIRC). Players were a Corporate HERC (short form Humaniform-Emulation Roboticized Combat Unit with Leg-Articulated Navigation) Commander tasked with overseeing the Unitech Corporation's expansion in frontier space which was opposed by a race of rogue AI combat units known as the Cybrids. The game was dystopic in its execution, with artificial clone 'pilots' known as Bioderms being decanted and shunted off into combat at rates that would make a Clanner blush (deploying a HERC with a self destruct device and running it halfway across the map to self destruct in a Cybrid's face was a valid combat strategy).

The game arrived at an interesting time for me and I wish I had the time and youthful patience to play it again.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2019, 20:00:59 by Dies Irae »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 11 December 2019, 15:48:06 »
I'd love to replay Ultima IV and V back-to-back again, without knowing the storyline and puzzles.

UFO - Enemy Unknown is surprisingly fresh and "different" when you play in Iron Man mode, i.e. never reload.

And does anyone here remember Carrier Command on the Amiga? That game had so much potential - which was wasted by having only one map to play on. Why oh why was there no random map option?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 11 December 2019, 18:03:31 »
My first RPG (before I even knew what was a RPG)... Dungeon Master on Amiga. Loved that game and occasionally still play it.

Many Microprose games (Gunship, Silent Service, M1 Tank Platoon, F-19 Stealth Fighter, Civilization and so on...) are among my favorites and most played games ever.

Kick Off (before Sensible Soccer) was probably the most played game because I played with my cousin in the same team.

Already read some other games I liked at the time mentioned here. Too many...

Good old times...
« Last Edit: 11 December 2019, 18:18:17 by Kentares »
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #16 on: 11 December 2019, 23:23:05 »
I'd love to replay Ultima IV and V back-to-back again, without knowing the storyline and puzzles.
Ultima 4 is available on GOG for free

UFO - Enemy Unknown is surprisingly fresh and "different" when you play in Iron Man mode, i.e. never reload.
Do you play it with or without OpenXcom?

And does anyone here remember Carrier Command on the Amiga? That game had so much potential - which was wasted by having only one map to play on. Why oh why was there no random map option?
I have played the game on PC.

[edit]
Corrected quotes
« Last Edit: 12 December 2019, 13:56:04 by Matti »
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #17 on: 12 December 2019, 01:47:50 »
I still have M.A.X. disc in a box somewhere. I still get the cravings to dig it up and run it in thew DOSbox, but I know it will be damn unstable.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #18 on: 12 December 2019, 07:05:43 »
You can get max on Gog. It runs fine.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 12 December 2019, 08:25:37 »
I remember all the old  SSI AD&D games such as Savage Frontier and Secret of the Silver Blades. Have the whole series off GoG. Another I enjoyed playing was Panzer General and Panzer General 2. There was something like it for the NES iirc.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #20 on: 12 December 2019, 08:40:43 »
Yep, M.A.X. is one of my favourites - the unit designs were fun, too - and yes, the GOG DosBox version runs a treat. Ah, my swarms of up-gunned and up-armoured Recon Trikes swarming across the tundra ... good times! Still fire it up occasionally for a game (though less often since I found Megamek!)

My original gaming machine was a ZX Spectrum 48k 'rubber-thumb' ... and one of my throwback favourites on that was Rebelstar, which was a direct ancestor of the UFO games. The map was large enough that to reset the unit positions to play again, you had to reload the game (hoping to avoid the feared 'R TAPE LOADING ERROR' message) - if the 'unit size' was an inch square wargaming figure, the base map would be five feet by eight (yes, I drew it out). And the rebel characters were named in tribute to a number of science-fiction heroes, with very slight spelling changes ...

On a previous PC I had a Java clone of Rebelstar that I'd found somewhere, which replicated it fully, but that machine died and went down with all hands. Still miss burning through one of the airlocks as a distraction attack before sending the rest of my forces through the airlock furthest from that once the defenders had relocated, with a mad dash through the mining bay to get to the computer centre ...

(There was a sequel that in no way [cough] borrowed ideas from Alien, where some of the same characters reappeared, trying to get to their rescue shuttle on a hostile planet that unfortunately seems to also host some rather dangerous organisms. Rather higher difficulty level!)

And then, for PC gaming, there was Myst (still got that, too) - the immersion of switching off the lights, turning up those beige desktop speakers, and wandering around that island and the associated Ages, with the gentle lapping of water ...

"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #21 on: 12 December 2019, 10:23:37 »
(There was a sequel that in no way [cough] borrowed ideas from Alien, where some of the same characters reappeared, trying to get to their rescue shuttle on a hostile planet that unfortunately seems to also host some rather dangerous organisms. Rather higher difficulty level!)

Sounds like a rather break out film that started a series of chronicles. . .
Colt Ward

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #22 on: 12 December 2019, 18:29:17 »
StarCraft and Broodwar.

Psygnosis' Awesome. Excellent graphics for the time, and the music was head and shoulders above what anyone else could do on a chipset that was already five years old.

Would like to give Star Control 2 another shot. Last time I tried I couldn't figure out how to get the emulator to underclock (makes that first Slylandro probe real, real hard to survive).

Wouldn't mind playing a package of all BattleTech's old games, from MechWarrior and Crescent Hawks through MechCommander and MechAssault. I enjoyed MW2 and 3 but missed out on the rest.

There's a ton of other mech arena combat games I kinda want to revisit too, but more as a survey for mechanics and aesthetics than to actually replay them or bask nostalgically. Kind of feel the same way about the X Wing and Tie fighter games.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (with proper Genesis controllers) would be easy to slip into. Used to have those levels memorized. Sonic 3 levels always seemed empty and rushed in comparison.

Bunch of games I would want resurrected already were - Sid Meier's Pirates, Monkey Island... I could wish for Wizardry VI and VII, Betrayal at Krondor, or Heimdall, but I don't think I really have the patience for them anymore.

I still have M.A.X. disc in a box somewhere.

Ha! I think I still have the poster!
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: 12 December 2019, 19:49:38 »
Hmm...loved Spy Hunter and Gauntlet/Gauntlet II as well as the old wire frame Star Wars game (that was mostly Death Star trench runs and dog fighting) for video games. Also, the various Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games.

For computer games, my favs were TIE Fighter, Warcraft II, Fallout, Fallout II, Planescape Torment, the Ravenloft games and the Dark Sun games (although I never got a working patch for the second one and never finished it).

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #24 on: 12 December 2019, 19:50:35 »
I can see my M.A.X. box from here (it's on the shelf next to the USB1.0 hub that I've still not thrown out).

Noctropolis is one I'd like to see come back, mostly for curiosity - I've got a copy, but have never actually played it, as by the time I dug it out again after being given it by a friend then moving house twice, I no longer had a PC old enough to run it. But the CD also contains the soundtrack as audio tracks, and they're pretty atmospheric!
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #25 on: 13 December 2019, 00:00:06 »
Psygnosis' Awesome. Excellent graphics for the time, and the music was head and shoulders above what anyone else could do on a chipset that was already five years old.
Screenshots or game play video please

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (with proper Genesis controllers) would be easy to slip into. Used to have those levels memorized. Sonic 3 levels always seemed empty and rushed in comparison.
The game's available at least on Steam. For controller I recommend Hyperkin GN6 (I got it from Amazon).

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #26 on: 13 December 2019, 04:46:12 »
The game's available at least on Steam. For controller I recommend Hyperkin GN6 (I got it from Amazon).

Ooooh, neat!

Screenshots or game play video please

Here's a gameplay video. Knew I had that link somewhere.

The first forty seconds are just the game's intro, but they're still forty seconds of 3D graphics in 1990, and the ship combat maintains an attractive faux 3D throughout.

The video has two segments of space combat, the third segment is a different kind of space combat, fourth segment is a ground combat maze, and the last segment is resource management and travel/mission planning. (The other videos of the other planets all follow that same basic pattern.)

Here's the playlist the song I linked is from.

Also, you know how games used to put booklets or maps or other neat physical stuff in the gamebox, well, this game came with a t-shirt.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #27 on: 13 December 2019, 13:33:04 »
Here's a gameplay video. Knew I had that link somewhere.
I may have seen something similar about a recent game, Subverse. I swear I had seen some (beta) game play video of it, but can't find it right now. If you're going to look it up yourself, be advised you may find something NSFW.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #28 on: 14 December 2019, 13:00:04 »
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (Trilogy) [Eiyuu Densetsu Sora no Kiseki] - 2004, 2006, 2007

Never again have I had the opportunity to experience a series which so convincingly ruined an entire gaming sub-genre (Story-Rich RPGs) for me by setting unrealistic expectations for any and all follow ups. The graphics and system for the series hasn't aged all that well
Nonsense! Compared to anything new made with RPG Maker, Trails in the Sky has nothing to be ashamed of about.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #29 on: 15 December 2019, 16:43:33 »
I may have seen something similar about a recent game, Subverse. I swear I had seen some (beta) game play video of it, but can't find it right now. If you're going to look it up yourself, be advised you may find something NSFW.

...eh... Subverse doesn't look much like Awesome at all. Star Flight, Star Control, or even Sid Meier's Pirates are closer.