Register Register

Author Topic: A question on compatibility of C3 systems and Clan tech  (Read 1912 times)

Ruger

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Major
Re: A question on compatibility of C3 systems and Clan tech
« Reply #90 on: 06 January 2020, 23:06:06 »
A lot of people see the Clans they same way they do the Klingons - sort of like Space Samurai, with a rigid code of honour which is based on... something.

But the problem is, the Clans are a lot like the Klingons - who talk a lot about honour, but according to the TNG episode Redemption, they consider suicide bombing honourable if the target is killed, and according to the DS9 episode Way of the Warrior cloaking ships beside destroyed or crippled starships to ambush and kill rescuers is honourable.

I seem to recall Worf saying something that explains the Klingon (and really Clan) concept of honor when a Klingon tactic was brought into question:

“There is nothing more honorable than victory.”

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #91 on: 06 January 2020, 23:51:07 »
I seem to recall Worf saying something that explains the Klingon (and really Clan) concept of honor when a Klingon tactic was brought into question:

“There is nothing more honorable than victory.”

Ruger

This is the long and short of it.  Any victory, no matter how slight or by any devious means, is more honorable than the grandest of final stands that ends in defeat.  The outcome of any Trial determines who is right, regardless of the relative honor of the combatants involved.

My favorite example of this is actually Aidan Pryde'd Trial of Refusal.  There is absolutely no question that his position was not the honorable one.  He even used the most underhanded tactics available to him during the trial itself.  FASCAM in the Clans, of all things!  But that doesn't matter a single bit, because he won the fight.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

dgorsman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #92 on: 07 January 2020, 00:57:55 »
A more nuanced version may be "There is nothing more honorable than not losing."
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #93 on: 07 January 2020, 03:00:42 »
Or there's the flavor text on the Khan Vlad Ward card from the Battletech CCG: We Clans talk much of honor. Nothing is more precious to a Clan warrior than his honor. How do I define honor? Success.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #94 on: 07 January 2020, 05:23:23 »
The original question has been answered and the topic had traveled fairly far from the intent. As such, it's being locked.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

"I'm helping Greg not be such a bastard, with my AC/20." 3rdCrucisLancer

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Register