Register Register

Author Topic: MechWarriorFox's Crazy weapon ideas (be standard or fangame/fic driven)  (Read 651 times)

MechWarriorFox

• Corporal
So, I've decided to put my hand into the weapon idea ring.

So, disclaimer, this is my first time doing this and I am going to make mistakes. So don't metaphorically murder me because I got something wrong. Any and all stats aren't final.

Now to begin, I've got an idea to start things out:
Auto Gauss Rifle: the gauss version of the autocannon, this might sound similar to the HAG family of weapons but instead of firing a cluster of munitions, it fires a stream more akin to the autocannon. Due to this, they straddle the line between autocannon and gauss rifles, not having the sheer power and range of the gauss rifle while having only a good portion of the flexibility of the autocannon. It is something akin to someone going mad scientist on both gauss rifles and autocannons.

AGR-2: Long-range sniper weapon that doesn't require an entire 'mech to be built around it. It can reach further than an AC-2 with a bit more damage but requires more crits and more tonnage as part of the package.
AGR-5: The Mario of the weapon family, a bit heavier and larger (in crits) than its autocannon cousin, it has the range of an AC-2 with slightly improved 'oomph'.
AGR-10: The brawler of the weapon family, it is useful at short-medium to short-range but it is fairly hefty.
AGR-20: The head capper of the family and the shortest range weapon of the family. It has more range than it's AC counterpart but is more massive and larger (in crits) as well.

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
General, there is nothing wrong with an automatic gun using magnetic coils instead of propellant to spit out bullets.

However, my main issue with your proposal: the so-called flexibility of autocannons comes for the price of terrible optional rules or IMHO even worse optional ammunition.

Its not a coincidence that the latest heated debate, over autocannons, was force cooled by the mods.

GaussRifle also means DHS, So for example when your AGR 5 should weigh 9tons and does 7 damage for 2 heat it's a plain replacement for the UAC5 and because of DHS most would still simply take the ERPPC.
To say it more painful, with the current rulesets there is no place for other weapons. However, I think most players would gladly accept improved performance for their Autocannons for the price of more heat (something that doesn't hurt because of dhs)

« Last Edit: 15 January 2020, 05:58:49 by Hptm. Streiger »

MechWarriorFox

• Corporal
General, there is nothing wrong with an automatic gun using magnetic coils instead of propellant to spit out bullets.

However, my main issue with your proposal: the so-called flexibility of autocannons comes for the price of terrible optional rules or IMHO even worse optional ammunition.

Its not a coincidence that the latest heated debate, over autocannons, was force cooled by the mods.

GaussRifle also means DHS, So for example when your AGR 5 should weigh 9tons and does 7 damage for 2 heat it's a plain replacement for the UAC5 and because of DHS most would still simply take the ERPPC.
To say it more painful, with the current rulesets there is no place for other weapons. However, I think most players would gladly accept improved performance for their Autocannons for the price of more heat (something that doesn't hurt because of dhs)
Thanks, it's mostly for some fanfics that I've been cooking up over the years, particularly a Battletech/Mass Effect fic that I've been playing with over a period of ... [goes check old posts at other forums]... almost a decade...

I was thinking of adding more heat at the end of the day. So instead of 2 heat, I was thinking 3 or 4 heat at the minimum. I was thinking of adding Battletech-ified Mass Effect Mass Accelerators as part of the first post but I thought I should have begun with 'pure Battletech' instead.

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
Mass effect use some kind of carousel guns-> the unholy child of a cyclotron and a magnetic accelerator.

In BT terms a heavy snub bombast projection gauss rifle.

You would have a bullet with poor ballistic coefficient but very high velocity (PPC speed, no that's not speed of light) That's the snub
Your carousel would need some time to spin, that's the bombast

You would need to keep the bullet cool unless you use a non ferromagnetic bullet that you need to magnetize before, anyhow extra heat.

So you have a not irrelevant spec of matter (unlike the protons or ions of the PPC) accelerated to extreme speeds, so recoil will be heavy.

MechWarriorFox

• Corporal
Mass effect use some kind of carousel guns-> the unholy child of a cyclotron and a magnetic accelerator.

In BT terms a heavy snub bombast projection gauss rifle.

You would have a bullet with poor ballistic coefficient but very high velocity (PPC speed, no that's not speed of light) That's the snub
Your carousel would need some time to spin, that's the bombast

You would need to keep the bullet cool unless you use a non ferromagnetic bullet that you need to magnetize before, anyhow extra heat.

So you have a not irrelevant spec of matter (unlike the protons or ions of the PPC) accelerated to extreme speeds, so recoil will be heavy.
Mass Effect 'Mass Accelerators' are simply railguns that 'shave' an ammo block, given the lore (aka the Codex). Also, all the art for the various gauss weapons has them fire essentially Long-Rods, not melons as described in the books. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time that art and writing not talking to each other...

Still, this is where the ideas get worked on though, may I remind you. ;)

I'll keep playing with the ideas here and there which will show up in time...

MechWarriorFox

• Corporal
Another idea (or two) that came to me recently, this time it pertains to the Thunderbolt missile.

In essence, the idea behind them is to make the Thunderbolt family of missiles less as a 'flashy' weapon for the arenas and more of a battlefield weapon.

One idea is the development of alternate ammunition, like how SRMs and LRMs got infernos, thunders, and whatnot. Thunderbolts gain the LRM munition types but magnified for their size.

Another idea is to essentially turn the Thunderbolt family into essentially SRMs in terms of launchers. These would be based on the Thunderbolt-5 (and only the Thunderbolt-5) missile and come in 2, 4, and 6 launcher mounts. The biggest downside, however, is that the launchers are heavy (thinking something 1.5 times of a regular Thunderbolt-5 launcher for the /2 launcher) and that there aren't that many shots per ton compared to their original counterparts (for example, a Thunderbolt-5/2 would have only 6 shots instead of the usual 12, the /4 would have 3, and the /6 would have 2). The biggest upside is that AMS is slightly less effective against them due to multiple targets a salvo.

MechWarriorFox

• Corporal
Crossposting from the RWS thread:

Quote from: Anti-Infantry System (Standard MG Variant)

Anti-Infantry System (MG)
Mass: .25 Ton
Slots: 1
Heat: 1 Unit/attack
Ammo/Ton: 50 shots (IS)/100 shots (Clan)
Range: 2
Rules: Can only target infantry and battle armor and can target up to 3 infantry units within range. Roll 1d6 for damage.

Quote from: Anti-Infantry System (Heavy MG Variant)

Anti-Infantry System (HMG)
Mass: .5 Ton
Ammo/Ton: 25 shots
Rules: Can only target infantry and battle armor and can target up to 3 infantry units within range. Roll 2d6 for damage.

Anti-Infantry System (IS Laser)
Mass: 1.5 Ton
Heat: 3 Units/attack
Range: 3
Rules: Can only target infantry and battle armor and can target up to 3 infantry units within range. Roll 2d6 for damage.

Anti-Infantry System (Clan Laser)
Mass: 1 Ton
Heat: 1 Units/attack

Anti-Infantry System (Gyro)
Mass: .25 Ton
Ammo/Ton: 25 shots
Rules: Can only target infantry and battle armor and can target up to 3 infantry units within range. Roll 1d6 for damage. Add +1 roll modifier to roll.

Anti-Infantry System (GL)
Mass: .5 Ton
Ammo/Ton: 20 shots
Range: 1
Rules: Can only target infantry and battle armor and can target up to 3 infantry units within range. Roll 3d6 for damage. Add +2 to anti-infantry rolls.

Anti-Infantry System (MR)
Mass: 1 Ton
Slots: 2
Heat: 3 Unit/attack
Ammo/Ton: 10 shot
Range: 4
Rules: Can only target infantry and battle armor and can target up to 3 infantry units within range. Roll 1d6 for damage. Add +2 to anti-infantry rolls and -1 to accuracy rolls.

Tabletop Rules:
Anti-Infantry System (AIS) are anti-infantry and anti-battle armor weapons only. They won't fire on any other target.

Upon use, choose 3 infantry units within range of the AIS. Roll the required number of dice and apply damage. All AIS weapons will get a -1 penalty when firing upon infantry/battle armor in the same hex as the unit.
Anti-Infantry System units are mounted in the same slot as the Anti-Missile System and function similarly as AMS when it comes to use. AIS gets less accurate when fighting infantry within 30 meters and are subject to Line of Sight.

« Last Edit: 05 February 2020, 18:40:03 by MechWarriorFox »

MechWarriorFox

• Corporal
Another weapon idea would be a 'plasmoid weapon', which are more akin to Star Wars blasters... but far faster and far more powerful than what Star Wars blasters are shown to be capable of. This is thanks to a better understanding of 'spheromaks' in general. A 'spheromak' is essentially a sphere of plasma that generates is own magnetic field.

It can be potent as a weapon system and trying to stop it via magnetic fields would only cause explosions/instant plasma creation at the point of contact via a poorly understood process called 'magnetic reconnection' (so a true 'spheromak' plasma weapon hitting a Star Wars lightsaber would turn the wielder of the lightsaber into a nice pink mist while the gunman isn't turned into mist) which happens all the time in space with Earth's magnetosphere, so the only way to defend against it would be armor and/or not getting hit.

In Battletech terms, it is something akin to plasma weapon but does both physical damage and heat. They're something akin to Improved Heavy Lasers with slightly less capacitor explosive power (since it doesn't have to deal with an FEL in addition to a plasma generator) that can be turned into infantry weapons (currently). How much better or worse they would be is still up to debate though...

As an infantry small arms type weapon, it would be essentially a slightly heavier (10-25% at the time of conception) laser rifle of the same type. So, a simple rifle type 'spheromak' weapon could weigh up to 6.25kg compared to a generic laser rifle's 5kg while something akin to the Mauser 960/Mauser 1200/Mauser IIC would weigh in somewhere between 13.5 to 15kg per weapon using the 25% increase factor. The support variants come in two types: 'repeaters' (aka machine guns) and 'cannon' (basically the equivalent of a support pulse laser). Keeping in line with the above examples, 'repeaters' can range from 8.75 (light) to 55kg ('support') depending on type while the 'cannon' variants can range from 50 ('semi-portable') to 375kg/0.375 tons ('heavy') in mass.

For vehicles and Battlemechs, it is less concrete. I was thinking of giving 'repeaters' and 'small cannon' variants 1D6 heat in addition to their damage output while 'medium' and 'large' cannon variants getting 2D6 heat in addition to their damage output.

Is this viable?

MechWarriorFox

• Corporal
Hm, here is some preliminary work on the 'Spheromark' weapons:

Quote from: Prototype Pulse Repeater (MG variant of the Spheromark Weapon)
Name: Prototype Pulse Repeater
Mass: 2 ton
Heat: 4/Burst
Damage: 2/Burst
Rules: Roll 1D6 for Heat (against those that track heat) or Additional Damage (against those that don't track heat) depending on the target. Upon a critical hit with the weapon, roll as you would for a gauss rifle or heavy laser and if destroyed, use a 1-ton ammo explosion.
Notes: Originally only seen as a scientific curiosity, the Spheromark wasn't used as a weapon until the advent of modern fusion reactors. The original prototypes (which this weapon represents) were the first 'plasma' weapons that mankind had created... but were rife with problems. They were massive, heavy weapons for their respective classes that generated a lot of heat for the user.

Quote from: Prototype Light Pulse Cannon (Small Pulse Laser variant of the Spheromark Weapon)
Name: Prototype Light Pulse Cannon
Mass: 4 tons
Slots: 2
Heat: 6/Burst
Damage: 6/Burst
Range: 5
Rules: Roll 1D6 for Heat (against those that track heat) or Additional Damage (against those that don't track heat) depending on the target. Upon a critical hit with the weapon, roll as you would for a gauss rifle or heavy laser and if destroyed, use a 2-ton ammo explosion.
Notes: Originally only seen as a scientific curiosity, the Spheromark wasn't used as a weapon until the advent of modern fusion reactors. The original prototypes (which this weapon represents) were the first 'plasma' weapons that mankind had created... but were rife with problems. They were massive, heavy weapons for their respective classes that generated a lot of heat for the user.
Quote from: Prototype Medium Pulse Cannon (Medium Pulse Laser variant of the Spheromark Weapon)
Name: Prototype Medium Pulse Cannon
Mass: 6 tons
Slots: 3
Heat: 12/Burst
Damage: 8/Burst
Range: 9
Rules: Roll 2D6 for Heat (against those that track heat) or Additional Damage (against those that don't track heat) depending on the target. Upon a critical hit with the weapon, roll as you would for a gauss rifle or heavy laser and if destroyed, use a 3-ton ammo explosion.

Quote from: Prototype Large Pulse Cannon (Large Pulse Laser variant of the Spheromark Weapon)
Name: Prototype Large Pulse Cannon
Mass: 8 tons
Slots: 4
Heat: 20/Burst
Damage: 14/Burst
Range: 15
Rules: Roll 2D6 for Heat (against those that track heat) or Additional Damage (against those that don't track heat) depending on the target. Upon a critical hit with the weapon, roll as you would for a gauss rifle or heavy laser and if destroyed, use a 4-ton ammo explosion.
If you want a sound effect to put to these weapons, think Terminator plasma weapons and you'll be fine. ;)

Would this work for 'prototyping'?
« Last Edit: 23 March 2020, 01:30:53 by MechWarriorFox »

Red Pins

• Captain
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Hmm.  Maybe.

Regarding some others, i, too, came up with repeating Gauss rifles (using a second capacitor bank, similar rules to an Ulta AC). 
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
Glitter - the herpes of the craft supply world.

MechWarriorFox

• Corporal
Hmm.  Maybe.

Regarding some others, i, too, came up with repeating Gauss rifles (using a second capacitor bank, similar rules to an Ulta AC).
Can I see it because it might be something that could inspire me to fully create the weapon...

Red Pins

• Captain
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Sure.  Give me credit if you want to use it somewhere.  I've got a folder of Unique Technology from my AU if you want it, too.

Anti-Personnel Gauss Repeater
   With intelligence discovering dezClan Jade Falcon had designed a new weapon system, New Clan Scientists and Technicians were eager to receive details of the Anti-Personnel Gauss weapon.  Seeing the potential benefit to Gauss weapons, Technicians immediately followed the example of dezClan Hells Horses and began experimenting with adding extra capacitors to increase its damage potential.

Game Rules
   The AP Gauss Repeater does not jam or explode, and fires a stream of 5 smaller-caliber shells, like the Hell’s Horses HAG it is derived from.  Roll on the ‘5’ column of the Cluster Hits table to determine the number of shells that hit the target, and roll for each on the appropriate Hit Location Chart.
              Heat     Dam        Range      Ammo     Wt        Space                    Tech
Weapon          Std(Aero)      Std (Aero)       Min/Sht/Med/Lng (Aero)     (ton)    (tons)   M  E  CV  SV  F SC DS Rating
AP Gauss-R         2                  2/Round               1/3/7/10 (Short)        8     1       2   1    1     1   1   1   1       F

Naval Gauss Repeaters
   Assimilating the intelligence concerning dezClan Hell’s Horses new Hyper-Assault Gauss weapon, Technicians immediately saw the potential benefit to the fleet.  Without a new weapon system for almost a hundred years, the Navy relied almost exclusively on the weapons technology of the Terran Hegemony.
   Despite the availability of mass and space for an improved Gauss weapon, naval officers cautioned against firing increased numbers of poorly-aimed projectiles.  Acknowledging their concerns, Technicians chose to limit capacitor increases to powering a second shot, similar to the Ultra-series of Autocannons.

Game Rules
   Naval Repeaters do not jam, and have the option to fire a single round or double rate.  Firing a second round generates twice the heat of a single round, and uses a second round of ammunition.  Naval Repeaters roll on the ‘2’ column of the Cluster Hits Table to determine the number of rounds to hit the target.

Heat     Capital        Range      Ammo     Wt        Space        Tech
Weapon               Std(Aero)   Dam (Aero)   Min/Sht/Med/Lng (Aero)     (ton)    (tons)    JS    WS   SS   MS       Rating
Light N-G (R)        9/Shot         15              N/A (Extreme)       5        5,600    1-C   1-C   1-C   1        E
Medium N-G (R) 15/Shot         25              N/A (Extreme)      5/2      6,600    1-C   1-C   1-C   1        E
Heavy N-G (R)   18/Shot         30              N/A (Extreme)       2        8,100    1-C   1-C   1-C   1        E

Improved Autocannon (I-AC)
   Despite the heat efficiency of Autocannons, advances in heatsinks and energy weapons have diminished their presence on the battlefield.   Looking for weapons systems adaptable to modern warfare, the Civil Government has successfully combined the 21st century Metalstorm system with the modern Autocannon, providing compact, heat efficient weapons capable of flexibility unmatched by current designs.
   I-ACs take advantage of several centuries of development in ballistic weapons to provide cutting edge weight-to-damage ratios; the Metalstorm concept, used in large caliber grenade launchers before being abandoned by 2050, takes advantage of these developments to provide a rate of fire similar to Rotary Autocannons.

Game Rules
   I-ACs are useless after firing their pre-loaded ammo until the barrel is exchanged, but offer an increased rate of fire at a growing cost in accuracy.  I-AC/2 and /5s fire Bursts of six rounds per Turn, I-AC/10s fire Bursts of four, and I-AC/20s Bursts of two.

Heat     Dam              Range     Ammo    Wt        Space          Tech
Weapon          Std(Aero)      Std (Aero)       M/S/M/L (Aero)    (barrel)  (tons)   M  E  CV  SV  F  SC  DS Rating
I-AC/2                 0*(0*)              2(2)            4/6/12/18 (Long)      45          3       1   2    1     1    1   1     1      F
I-AC/5                 0*(0*)              5(5)         3/5/10/15 (Medium)    20          4       1   3    1     2    1   1     1      F
I-AC/10                1(1)              10(10)        0/4/8/12 (Medium)     10          6       1   4    1     4    1   1     1      F
I-AC/20                3(3)              20(20)           0/3/6/9 (Short)          5          7       2    -    1     8    1   1     1      F
* - See Notes

Notes:
•   I-ACs are able to use special- and mixed ammo, in any order and any type except Caseless.  Players must record the type of ammo in order of firing.
•   I-ACs may fire single rounds or in Bursts.  Players must specify the number of rounds to be fired before the weapon is fired.
•   Heat is cumulative with each shell fired.  I-AC/2s and /5s do not generate heat for single shots; for each multiple of 2 rounds fired, one heat is generated.
•   Damage is allocated by shell, in order of rounds fired, following the rules for specialty ammo.
•   I-ACs roll on the Cluster Hits table to determine the number of rounds that hit the target.
•   I-ACs may fire a single round or Bursts.  When firing a single Burst, I-ACs do not receive a to-hit penalty and roll on the Cluster Hits table normally.
•   I-ACs may fire up to four Bursts in a single Turn, but players must make a to-hit roll for each Burst with a cumulative to-hit penalty.  Each Burst after the first requires its own to-hit roll (with a cumulative +2 to-hit penalty) and Cluster Hit table roll.
Ex.  An I-AC/2 needs a 3 to hit.  Because the to-hit number is low, the owner decides to risk the maximum number of Bursts in an attempt to kill his target.  The first Burst, without a to-hit penalty, requires a 3 (3+0), which the Player makes easily.  Rolling on the Cluster Hits table, he sees five have hit the target.  Checking the list of ammunition, he sees that all are standard rounds, and rolls hit locations for all five before proceeding.
The second Burst suffers from the first cumulative penalty, requiring a 5 (3+0+2).  Rolling on the Cluster Hits table, he finds that five more standard rounds have hit the target, and rolls hit locations for all five before proceeding.
The third Burst requires a 7 (3+0+2+2), which he makes narrowly.  Checking against the Cluster Hits table he finds 3 rounds hit the target and rolls locations for all three.
The fourth Burst brings him to his first specialty ammunition, a six-round Burst of Precision ammo.  (Note the added mass of the specialty ammo has no effect on the I-AC/2.)  The ammunition provides a –2 to-hit modifier, giving him a to-hit number of 7 (3+0+2+2+2-2) for the second time.  If the fourth Burst had been standard ammo, it would have been a 9 (3+0+2+2+2).
•   If a Burst contains mixed ammunition types each round must be individually rolled in the order of firing and a hit location determined before going on to the next Burst.

And the list of tech;

PG 182 Unique Technology, 34 pages;
  New Unit Types
    Heavy- and Assault Components (H-AC)
    Permanent AirMechs
    FighterShips
    Extra-Light ‘Mechs
    Portable Turrets
  New Construction Equipment
    Hardpoints
    Limb Extensions
    Armor Rescue Pods
  New Weapons
    Extended-Range TAG
    Cassette Missile System
    AP Gauss Repeater
    Naval Gauss Repeater
    Arrow V Artillery Missile
    Thunderbolt-TOW Missile
    Improved-Autocannons
  New Equipment
    Armor Skirts
    Point C3 System
    Enhanced-Jump Core
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
Glitter - the herpes of the craft supply world.

MechWarriorFox

• Corporal
Sure.  Give me credit if you want to use it somewhere.  I've got a folder of Unique Technology from my AU if you want it, too.

Anti-Personnel Gauss Repeater
   With intelligence discovering dezClan Jade Falcon had designed a new weapon system, New Clan Scientists and Technicians were eager to receive details of the Anti-Personnel Gauss weapon.  Seeing the potential benefit to Gauss weapons, Technicians immediately followed the example of dezClan Hells Horses and began experimenting with adding extra capacitors to increase its damage potential.

Game Rules
   The AP Gauss Repeater does not jam or explode, and fires a stream of 5 smaller-caliber shells, like the Hell’s Horses HAG it is derived from.  Roll on the ‘5’ column of the Cluster Hits table to determine the number of shells that hit the target, and roll for each on the appropriate Hit Location Chart.
And the list of tech;
That is interesting... I'll probably look into it to improve my own in the future.

idea weenie

• Captain
Cryogenic disposable core lasers, or putting a lot of effort into a single shot at a time

Heat: 0 (the lasing core and support systems are pre-cooled and consume themselves when firing)
Damage 20
Range: 5/10/15
Tons: 4
Crits: 2
Shots/ton: 15

Disadvantage:
For heat-tracking units: take the number of heat points the mounting platform has after the heat sink phase, and remove twice that value in shots of ammo (they melted/deformed).  This does not affect your ending heat value

For non-heat-tracking units: lose 10% of current ammo at the end of the turn (FRU) due to heat dissipating into lasing core storage and melting/deforming the lasing rods.

If mounting unit is hit by heat-causing attacks, it loses a number of shots equal to the number of heat points delivered.  This includes walking through hexes that are on fire.

Source   ;D

MechWarriorFox

• Corporal
Cryogenic disposable core lasers, or putting a lot of effort into a single shot at a time

Heat: 0 (the lasing core and support systems are pre-cooled and consume themselves when firing)
Damage 20
Range: 5/10/15
Tons: 4
Crits: 2
Shots/ton: 15

Disadvantage:
For heat-tracking units: take the number of heat points the mounting platform has after the heat sink phase, and remove twice that value in shots of ammo (they melted/deformed).  This does not affect your ending heat value

For non-heat-tracking units: lose 10% of current ammo at the end of the turn (FRU) due to heat dissipating into lasing core storage and melting/deforming the lasing rods.

If mounting unit is hit by heat-causing attacks, it loses a number of shots equal to the number of heat points delivered.  This includes walking through hexes that are on fire.

Source   ;D
Interesting... but not really going to be a thing...