Author Topic: Mech Assembly Line  (Read 1956 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Mech Assembly Line
« on: 22 January 2020, 12:53:32 »

I got one of these to try out.

And it was really solid to start putting minis on bases & together with dynamic poses . . . less frustration of trying to use putty or other stuff to properly position, maybe the part drops a bit.  I am REALLY happy with the dynamic pose I was able to set up for my Ostwar that had been sitting partially assembled (legs & arms put together) for over a month (2?) but . . .

1) Not really wanting to buy GW stuff . . .
2) I would like to be able to set up a assembly line w/o paying 20 a pop as well as better stabilizing

So . . . I would like to find some arms w/clamps like that where I can take a small piece of wood and put something like 3 or 4 positions with arms.  So basically I can start assembling multiple mechs using the arms/clamps to help position the pieces how I want and churn out some mechs.  Having them placed on a piece of wood rather than the handle being tucked away would also keep the toddler from knocking it over while the mini is drying.

Heck, I can also see it being possible to be used to add fiddly bits to home-built terrain.

Anyone know where to get some arms like that?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
Re: Mech Assembly Line
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2020, 13:27:49 »
hrm... how big of an assembly line are we talking?

I know them by the name of "Helping Hands" which are frequently used in the soldering world.  You can get that with a magnifying glass for $10, but that is still not cheap enough for assembly IMO.

I can find a "spare part" on amazon for a nylon arm with two grippers for one cent, plus $4 shipping.

Finding something that lets you get those in bulk and save on shipping, then making  your own base plate might be the nice mix between cost, effort, versatility, and scalability.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2020, 13:52:40 »
Nah, I am just looking to put 3 or 4 on a piece of wood.

Looked at it on Amazon, and that works well . . . but charging 1 cent?  Seems weird.  Might order 4 or 5, drill holes in the small board, put them through and find some bolts to secure to the board . . .

Thanks!  I knew someone around here would have a idea.  It will work out cheaper than buying those handles and then to try to anchor them.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2020, 17:27:09 »
Are those alligator clips metal? I've had bad experiences with them chewing up surfaces.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2020, 17:32:18 »
The ones on the Citadel are plastic.  The ones Insomniac linked have a plastic or rubber covering over the teeth.
Colt Ward

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2020, 17:38:32 »
an old soderning trick is if you are worried, get some cheap heat shrink tubing and place it over the clips and blow with a hair dryer.
Add layers until you aren't concerned.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2020, 17:47:53 »
s Insainiac said just search "helping hands" on your preferred online retail spot

Tons of them
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2020, 17:51:42 »
Yeah, tons popped up on Amazon with his link but I was looking under 'Clamp' with Hobby Lobby and other hobby stores- not finding what I wanted which is why I posted.  The group here is great with some easy help.  Going to place a order for them tonight and start figuring out a board to use or maybe some plastic.

. . . can all those un-assembled minis stored in a drawer march forward into battle?
Colt Ward

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 22 January 2020, 18:00:45 »
Call for the Sgt Major!

Sargeant Cy Acrylate, assemble the troops!
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #9 on: 22 January 2020, 22:11:49 »
I ordered my 5 tonight- 4 pairs to put on a board and one spare- thanks again for the help Insomniac.  I hope to post a picture in a week or two (timing always depends on toddler) with 4 mechs under construction!

Huh, weird . . . shipping says the first day I might get it would be mid-Feb?  Oh well, still a deal.
Colt Ward

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 22 January 2020, 23:39:36 »
That explains the price,
Sounds like wish.com or other similar shops,
dirt cheap, a little shipping, but it takes a while because it's coming directly from China
“Toe jam in training”

JA Baker

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #11 on: 22 January 2020, 23:44:40 »
Not too worried . . . since I got the one I have been able to get two mechs finished in the last 3 days.  I think I have 20-30 still unassembled- some still in baggies and blisters- and it might encourage me to make a run at some of the more difficult ones, like the missing quads.
Colt Ward

Register