Author Topic: Damn... even Tom Hanks got Covid-19  (Read 18889 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Re: Damn... even Tom Hanks got Covid-19
« Reply #90 on: 16 March 2020, 10:21:37 »
I'm afraid that things are likely to get much worse where I live.

We've had one confirmed case in the county, but the local hospital is having people who suspect they have Covid-19 sit in one room that's fairly small (so they all have easy proximity to each other) and telling them to go home without even telling them to self-isolate.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #91 on: 16 March 2020, 12:57:00 »
FYI, just announced Canadian border has been closed to non-residents, and residents outside the country are being urged to return immediately.  If anyone down there knows any local Canucks, please give them a hand on their way if you can.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #92 on: 16 March 2020, 15:03:56 »
FYI, just announced Canadian border has been closed to non-residents, and residents outside the country are being urged to return immediately.  If anyone down there knows any local Canucks, please give them a hand on their way if you can.

From what I see, this closure is not supposed to impact trade items and the like, and US citizens are still allowed across at this time.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #93 on: 17 March 2020, 10:07:24 »
Idris Elba confirmed that he's got the virus.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #94 on: 17 March 2020, 17:54:01 »
Idris Elba confirmed that he's got the virus.

And Olga Kurylenko.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #95 on: 18 March 2020, 10:00:25 »
From what I see, this closure is not supposed to impact trade items and the like, and US citizens are still allowed across at this time.

Ruger

Aaaaaand now the border is closed to all but non-essential travel.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #96 on: 18 March 2020, 10:21:38 »

Well, at least essential travel includes trade goods. So, for right now, factories with customers on either side should not be grossly affected.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #97 on: 18 March 2020, 10:54:33 »

Sorry, but I'm gonna say - GOOD

This is how Asia managed to crack down on the virus, because it's not just people, it all the stuff we touch!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/coronavirus-lives-for-hours-in-air-particles-and-days-on-surfaces-new-us-study-shows.html
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #98 on: 18 March 2020, 11:24:33 »
Sorry, but I'm gonna say - GOOD

This is how Asia managed to crack down on the virus, because it's not just people, it all the stuff we touch!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/coronavirus-lives-for-hours-in-air-particles-and-days-on-surfaces-new-us-study-shows.html
And that's why no matter what we do there's no way to completely minimize the risk of exposure. Short of living in a self sustaining bio-dome for eternity, there's no way to eliminate the possible risk of exposure. At this point in time, I'm living my life the same way I did  last month.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #99 on: 18 March 2020, 12:04:26 »
Ive moved to the Third World because living here is cheaper and it's just... bonkers. Nothing is open except grocery stores and pharmacies. Streets are empty. Been working at home for the past five years and my son is homeschooled, so its not really a drastic change but still, not being able to go to the mall and eat at my fav restaurants means we cook at home more often.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #100 on: 18 March 2020, 13:41:44 »
That's not dissimilar from many cities in the US as of this week.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #101 on: 18 March 2020, 14:04:08 »
Great.

The Big Three are shutting down their NA factories until at least the end of the month.

Ruger

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #102 on: 18 March 2020, 14:05:31 »
More unnecessary panic IMO.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #103 on: 18 March 2020, 14:10:51 »
More unnecessary panic IMO.

Not panic. Prudence.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #104 on: 18 March 2020, 14:30:57 »
It's not clear to me that it will change much.  It's too widespread already.  If it looks like it's died down and the all-clear is given, it just takes one person to start it all over again.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #105 on: 18 March 2020, 15:04:44 »
It's not clear to me that it will change much.  It's too widespread already.  If it looks like it's died down and the all-clear is given, it just takes one person to start it all over again.

Social distancing is not to eliminate the disease.  That hasn't been possible for months.  It's about making sure that there are few enough ICU-requiring cases at a time that hospitals aren't overwhelmed.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #106 on: 18 March 2020, 15:41:47 »
Social distancing is not to eliminate the disease.  That hasn't been possible for months.  It's about making sure that there are few enough ICU-requiring cases at a time that hospitals aren't overwhelmed.

Very much this.

Dave Talley

• Major
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #108 on: 19 March 2020, 09:15:49 »
Fixed that for ya ;)

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #109 on: 19 March 2020, 12:32:27 »
Finally managed to do some grocery shopping. Stood at the checkout line for 40 minutes. Ugh.

Whereas in Australia the toilet paper is all gone from the shelves, over here its... junk food like potato chips. The lady in front of me had two carts full of it. LOL crazy..

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #110 on: 19 March 2020, 15:42:41 »
Where do you live? 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #111 on: 19 March 2020, 17:10:28 »
I had to go out today and I can't believe just how busy it is in town.  People here are not staying home.  And quite a few aren't even attempting to stay 6+ feet away from other people.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #112 on: 19 March 2020, 17:22:00 »
I had to go out today and I can't believe just how busy it is in town.  People here are not staying home.  And quite a few aren't even attempting to stay 6+ feet away from other people.

Be careful. Dont fall in that trap. You never know when one (and only takes one) is sick even without knowing. Here only took one guy (which he thought he was fine) that travelled from France in a bus to spread the damn virus to a dozen people.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #113 on: 19 March 2020, 17:48:29 »
Believe me, I'm not.  I'm just amazed at how many people are (or perhaps not, given the city I live in).

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #114 on: 19 March 2020, 18:06:05 »
Had to go out today for groceries. Very impressed by how little was completely sold out. Only flour was completely gone. Milk and toilet paper were low, but still available. More people out than I thought there would be, but still pretty good. Thanked the cashier for her hard work.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #115 on: 19 March 2020, 22:45:25 »
The family insists I wear a mask when I go out due to my pre-existing constellation of medical problems. I hate wearing the things, but it makes the folks feel better, so...
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #116 on: 19 March 2020, 23:02:03 »
CDC guidelines recommend that I shave my beard.  I may trim it to a "normal" length, but I don't know about shaving the whole thing.  I've been feeding it hipster beards for breakfast for an awful long time...
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #117 on: 19 March 2020, 23:49:47 »
CDC guidelines recommend that I shave my beard.  I may trim it to a "normal" length, but I don't know about shaving the whole thing.  I've been feeding it hipster beards for breakfast for an awful long time...

Are you a practicing medical professional, or otherwise need to wear a filtering facepiece respirator?  Then no, they aren't.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #118 on: 20 March 2020, 01:03:39 »
California has put the shelter in place order tonight.  Grocery store next to work has gone sane again and is operating normally.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #119 on: 20 March 2020, 05:41:20 »
Where do you live?

I normally shuttle back and forth between Thailand and the Philippines since I have properties in both. Right now Im stuck in Manila. Thing is, the US State Department is advising all Americans to go home, but I have a family and the last thing I want to do is get stuck with my mom at the East Coast, so I guess Im staying.

Register