Author Topic: Painting the scheme of the desert camo Marauder in the Mechwarrior 1st Ed?  (Read 4106 times)

abou

• Captain
I wanted to give this scheme a shot.  For those of you who aren't familiar with it, you can find it on Google easily enough.  My question to the community is how you would go about doing this.

As of right now, I'm thinking about how you would go about painting it and I'm stumped.  Maybe a rainy gray and white mix, dry brushed with brown and then dipped in a wash (although I've been using the Army Painter shader).  Still, that doesn't seem right.

Anyone else have any ideas?

phlop

• CamoSpecs
  • Warrant Officer
Are you referring to this
http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=4870
If so, you may want to pm or go to Camospecs forum and ask Mastergunz.
“Everyone is useful,No one is necessary.’’ Paul Brown

abou

• Captain
That wouldn't be it.  I've done a trial on a Wasp and I'll post it once I dull-coat it.  I've got mixed feelings about how it turned out.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
The House Davion one on page 48? I'll have to wait till it's sunny out. This CFL is skewing my color perception.
Maker of big things.

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
This is my desert camo lance I painted 19 years ago.

Force

abou

• Captain
The House Davion one on page 48? I'll have to wait till it's sunny out. This CFL is skewing my color perception.
Yup, that's the one.

Here is a photo of my Wasp.  I'll get some better ones for a thread in the showcase board.  What I did was this:

1. Primed white (all paints Reaper and thinned with Liquitex; primer and dullcote are Testors)
2. Did multiple thin coats of Rainy Gray mixed with Linen White to a get a slate color
3. Drybrushed the legs with Earth Brown, realized that was stupid, then painted over with Earth Brown and drybrushed with my "slate".
4. Drybrushed the lower torso and arms with Earth Brown, which helped to make a transition.
5. Added my details.
6. Dipped in the Army Painter Quick Shade, which is the dark tone (middle version).  I probably could have done the lighter toned version as it left a lot of brown on the slate portions.  In some ways it looks good, but in others ways it just isn't what I wanted.  Perhaps a simple magic wash would have worked better.
7. Once dry, I drybrushed in Rainy Gray for weathering, to help blend, and to lessen the effects of the Quick Shade.
8. Jeweled the cockpit.
9. Base details added.
10. Dullcote and then glossed the cockpit.

So thoughts?  Right now, my biggest worry is that the Quick Shade just added too much brown to the slate areas.  If you people have other ideas, I'm all ears.

PS. Force, a lance that was painted 19 years ago?  Damn, that's longer than I've been playing.

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
PS. Force, a lance that was painted 19 years ago?  Damn, that's longer than I've been playing.

Yep. Been playing the game since 1986 when it just became Battletech (from Battledroids).

Force