Author Topic: In Memoriam: BattleTech Artist Jim Holloway  (Read 2738 times)

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
In Memoriam: BattleTech Artist Jim Holloway
« on: 29 June 2020, 13:25:42 »
Artist Jim Holloway, whose work graced the covers of a number of early BattleTech products, died Sunday according to a post by his son, Mike, on his Facebook page.

Holloway’s prolific work spanned the breadth of the sci-fi and fantasy genres, particularly during the 1980s and 1990s. Best known for his covers and interiors for Dungeons & Dragons game products and Dragon magazine, he was also the original artist for the Paranoia roleplaying game and contributed artwork for Iron Crown Enterprises’ Lord of the Rings products, among many other games.

Holloway’s illustrations across all of the original core BattleTech products, including BattleTech Second Edition, CityTech, AeroTech, and MechWarrior First Edition established a look for the line which influenced decades of BattleTech art.

“Jim Holloway was one of the earliest contributors to BattleTech, and his vision defined so much of what drew myself and so many others to the universe,” said Ray Arrastia, BattleTech Line Developer. “His paintings and illustrations remain in my mind to this day, and they still inform the creative direction of the BattleTech Universe. He will be missed.”

His cover of the first edition of the MechWarrior roleplaying game, a memorable first-person view inside a BattleMech’s cockpit, was recently honored with a modern update on the cover of the MechWarrior: Destiny roleplaying game. Holloway’s cover for the first edition of Decision at Thunder Rift served as a bold introduction to generations of BattleTech fiction readers, as did his covers for Tales of the Black Widow Company, the Gray Death Legion sourcebook, The Fox’s Teeth, and much more.

“In the fall of 1986 I walked into a game store and saw my first ever BattleTech book, The Fox’s Teeth,” said Randall N. Bills, Catalyst Game Labs’ Managing Developer. “Jim Holloway’s cover instantly pulled me into that universe. His Succession Wars cover still remains one of my all-time favorite BattleTech illustrations, as it captures all of the action and intrigue that has made this game such a success for over thirty-five years. His legacy as an artist has touched so many people.”

On behalf of everyone at Catalyst Game Labs, we offer our condolences to the Holloway family and all fans of Jim’s work.

Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

abou

• Captain
Re: In Memoriam: BattleTech Artist Jim Holloway
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2020, 13:30:40 »
I heard earlier this morning as well. His cover art are among my favorites in the franchise -- particularly the way the subjects occupy the space around them. The Fox's Teeth cover is a particular standout in capturing the feel of the universe. He'll definitely be missed.
« Last Edit: 29 June 2020, 13:50:01 by abou »

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2020, 13:42:30 »
The cover of Rolling Thunder was one of the first pieces of artwork I saw for BattleTech and it drew me in so much.  I showed it to my wife (who's an artist herself) earlier after hearing of his death and she saw immediately why it was so effective - the colour palette, the use of space, the excellent use of perspective and how so much is happening but the piece never feels busy. 
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2020, 13:44:58 »
The cover of Rolling Thunder was one of the first pieces of artwork I saw for BattleTech and it drew me in so much.  I showed it to my wife (who's an artist herself) earlier after hearing of his death and she saw immediately why it was so effective - the colour palette, the use of space, the excellent use of perspective and how so much is happening but the piece never feels busy.
Indeed, Rolling Thunder is a treat. One of my friends jokingly says the Mechwarrior is waving "Hi mom" to the sky.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 29 June 2020, 14:19:12 »
Condolences.  Maybe I'll paint the new Locust in the Decision at Thunder Rift cover colors now

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2020, 14:24:54 »
R.I.P. Jim.   :(
I have spoken.

MyndkryM

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 29 June 2020, 14:40:41 »
 RIP :(
"Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead Troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers’ Green...."

-"Fiddler's Green" The US Cavalryman's Prayer

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 29 June 2020, 15:51:33 »
Yep, the BattleMaster on the cover of Rolling Thunder is probably his most iconic work. Followed closely by the Rifleman/cockpit picture on the MW 1st Ed. cover. Or the Shadow Hawk on the rulebooks of the BattleTech 2nd Ed. and CityTech boxed sets. So much iconic imagery from the early days...
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #8 on: 29 June 2020, 15:56:20 »
The MW1e cover will always be my favorite piece of BT art... RIP, sir, RIP...  :-\

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 29 June 2020, 16:06:47 »
R.I.P.

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #10 on: 29 June 2020, 16:07:24 »
 :'(
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #11 on: 29 June 2020, 17:20:28 »
Jim Holloway's work was a big part of what drew me into BattleTech in the first place. His covers were colourful and eye-catching, and created a very vibrant world off the bat.

He will be missed
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 29 June 2020, 17:33:38 »
What a lost.... his art covers are timeless. They definitely caught feel of the books and other game covers. Wild, cheeky, action pack!  Those are some of things his art hinted what was under the covers. RIP.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #13 on: 29 June 2020, 18:21:16 »
Loved his D&D work as well.  And the evidence that there were ashtrays in 'Mechs.

He will be missed. 

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #14 on: 29 June 2020, 18:47:42 »
So very sad. RIP.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

massey

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 29 June 2020, 20:00:25 »
I never really pay attention to the names of artists who do game books, but as I look over the gallery of stuff he drew, I see that these are some of my favorite pieces of Battletech art.  Every piece made me say "oh that looks cool."

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #16 on: 30 June 2020, 11:59:49 »

Selya.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

theBigMac

• Private
« Reply #17 on: 30 June 2020, 12:13:57 »
Have enjoyed his art in a multitude of books and modules.  RIP Jim, one of the classic best.
"Rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads.  If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched.  There are no flags in the MAC."-Archie McCarron

"And there never will be." -Marcus Barton

ArchonDan

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 30 June 2020, 12:16:34 »
His art is what drew me into the Battletech universe all those years ago starting with Decision at Thunder Rift. I saw the Locust on the cover and knew I had to read the book. Follow by the stunning Warhammer that graced the cover of 2nd. His art is grab my imagination and never let go.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #19 on: 30 June 2020, 12:58:42 »
This is sad news. Some of my favorite RPG illustrations are from him, especially the wonderfully whacky art he made for the old Paranoia game (Poor Suck-R... shouldn't flaunt Machine Empathy like that...). He's definitely gonna be missed.

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord,
And may perpetual light shine upon him.  :'(

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 30 June 2020, 13:01:53 »
 :(

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #21 on: 30 June 2020, 17:46:42 »
Jim Holloway's cover art was an indelible part of the BattleTech universe--to Jordan Weisman, the MechWarrior First Edition cover was BattleTech. Rolling Thunder is tied as my favorite BattleTech sourcebook, in large part because the cover art drew in a young me though I had been exposed to the first TROs earlier. But for me, his sublime work on the cover of Record Sheets Volume 5 and the back of CityTech pretty much sums up BattleTech in my mind's eye.

A Holloway cover showed BattleMechs, but they also showed people amidst the detritus of war. He could show an action scene without every single weapon opening up. He could show people being people, and he could show the utter catastrophe of a battlezone inhabited by walking tanks without overbearing about it. He understood that there is no war without people, and when there is war, the people in its midst remain the focus.

His work remains effortless and timeless. It introduced so many of the people on this board and countless others to a universe that at some level still exists because he--in conjunction with many talented others--drew so many of them in in the first place.

I am personally saddened by this, and my condolences go out to his family and friends. He will be missed by me and many as an artist, and as a person by I would imagine yet more. May he and those who he loved and loved him find some measure of peace in due time...
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #22 on: 01 July 2020, 20:43:03 »
You know, looking through his stuff, I just realized the Archer from Citytech (I think) and the Locust from Thunder Rift have the same paint scheme, and I don't know what scheme that is in canon, if its been named or not.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #23 on: 01 July 2020, 23:04:19 »
Jim is the reason I go out of my way to collect a lot of the old BattleTech stuff. His art is iconic, and there was something about it that just drew me in. My favorite is probably the cover for Snord's Irregulars.

RIP, good sir.  :'(
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Ryumyo

• Warrant Officer
  • Out site seeing...
« Reply #24 on: 02 July 2020, 05:01:14 »
Mr. Holloway, your cover art for the Battletech 2nd edition box set is what got me to climb into a Mech and I thank you. Godspeed on your next lifetime.

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 04 July 2020, 07:45:12 »
 :'( I have alot of early Battletech books with his art. Rest in peace.