Author Topic: New Development Snapshot 0.47.8 for Megamek, MegaMekLab, and MekHQ  (Read 7464 times)

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Hi Everyone,

**AUGUST 8th**
Removed the download links as this releases has a couple of significant bugs**

Time for another dev release and wow is this one got some stuff in it. Before I get to that I need to stress this release is very likely to have bugs and likely some major ones. A reminder of what we've we said for years:

1)  Make backups of your campaigns and customs.
2)  Always treat each release as a stand alone release and only copy your data forward from older versions.

So on to the new stuff!

Megamek
Lots of bug fixes. We’ve tweaked Saxarba default theme to use grass as the default theme. Speaking of themes the large texture them got an overhaul from  Ahne and it looks great. We’ve also added Inclines and cliffs from TacOps.

Cliffs Non-ISO                                            Cliffs ISO mode

Data wise we’ve got new sprites based on the Kickstarter and lots of them are getting the royal (colourized) treatment. Greekfire has helped add Fluff text to a chunk of the 3039 units. We’ve tweaked the frequency that LAMs will appear in the RAT Generator. Ever been stuck coming up with a call sign for your pilot, well use the new Random Call Sign generator.

Did I mention Princess has learned to use arty cannons in direct fire.

Last and in one of the coolest new features ‘Damage Decals’.

MegaMekLab
Lots of bug fixes. We’ve also synchronized the mech selectors from Megamek into MegaMekLab. We’ve add two major options for mech record sheets. Quick reference tables on the mech sheets, and a record sheet that supports Table top miniature scale from Strat Ops. See attached samples.

MekHQ.
Lots of work in the back end and bug fixes. We’ve also synchronized the mech selectors from Megamek into MekHQ. We’ve added the Random Callsign generator to MekHQ and phase 1 of the Genealogy overhaul.  I’ll let Windchild add some details on that.

Also a reminder to drop into the Slack channel to meet other players and harass the devs that drop in and out. If Slack isn't your thing check out these Discords with Megamek channels - Everything BattleTech and Classic BattleTech

**FOR MAC USERS**
There isn't a Mac release and you'll have to use the Unix release. We are having issues with the Gradle packaging scripts and various security settings in MacOS.  We are working on the issue and have no ETA for a fix.

Another reminder when moving between versions:
1)   Make backups of your campaigns and customs.
2)   Always treat each release as a stand alone release and only copy your data forward from older versions.

There is a good chance you’ll have issues in MekHQ with unit name changes.  If you get errors loading your campaign as result of unit name errors please see this post.

Name Issues with units
The change log below lists all the changes in this release from the previous stable.

CHANGE LOGS AND DOWNLOAD LINKS
Megamek.
Code: [Select]
+ Data: New Sprites and numerous Mechset naming fixes.
+ Issue #2024: Fix possible NREs in AccessibilityWindow during various game events
+ Issue #2023: Destroying artillery which has rounds in-flight no longer stops the game
+ Issue #2020: Respect deployment round for offboard entities
+ PR #2040: Grass theme as default (unnamed) theme
+ Issue #2039: Tripod mechs with an active pilot now properly get +1 to physical attack rolls
+ PR #2049: Fixed bot NPE when trying to generate paths around hostile units blocking a straight path to a long-range destination
+ PR #2050: Entities which sprinted no longer report as being able to spot since that's illegal anyway
+ PR #2058: Fixed missing paren for damaged aero heat sinks in aerospace unit "Mech View"
+ PR #2042: Remove incorrect minimum range penalty on direct fire artillery vs aerospace units
 Enable Princess to use artillery in direct-fire mode (vs both ground and air units), including artillery cannons
+ PR #2060: Fix game freeze for bot-controlled ejected pilots and hot-dropped infantry on ground maps
+ PR #2061: Random Callsign Generator
+ PR #2041: Remove weird 'Hardened' on the equipment section of some Combat Vehicles
+ Issue #2066: Changing year or tech level for DropShip sometimes removes anti-missile systems from assigned bays
+ Data: First units from Fluff Text project (Thanks to Greekfire for this batch)
+ Data: RAT and Force Gen name fixes.
+ Issue #2054: New Ahne Texture pack (Tileset) for the megamek client
+ Issue #2037: New additions to TheJungle for Kaji maps (and some other new maps)
+ Issue #2071: Battle armor taser attacks against battle armor no longer lock the game up when a BA suit in the target unit shuts down
+ Issue #2028: Units now visually indicate damage levels
+ PR #2079: Update dermal armor implant to use IO rules for conventional infantry
+ PR #2082: Wasp and Stinger LAMs are now more rare when using RAT generator; Wasp Mk I LAM now has actual bomb bays instead of cargo bays
+ PR #2085: Recolor movement in tooltip for dark themes
+ PR #2080: Unit Label Team Coloring
+ Issue #2022: Lobby summary/TRO view for gun emplacements no longer shows up blank
+ PR #1998: Improving formatting of legacy gunnery skills
+ Data: New Sprites (first of the ones based on KS images.Thanks to Deadborder)
+ PR #2087: Gun emplacements are no longer considered to have dual turrets (fixing some tech progression calculation issues for those units)
+ Data: Some infantry name fixes.
+ Data: New Sprites (fix for HMG ranges)
+ PR #2092: Screamer, Pwkka, Yurei LAMs have actual bomb bays; removed incorrect alias for protomech MG ammo; micro laser tech ratings corrected
+ PR #1992: Inclines and cliffs, as per TacOps page 39
+ Issue #2065: PPCs with charging capacitors now build up heat on the first turn of the charge
+ Data: New Sprites (Thanks Bloodwolf for working on making some of these royals)

MegaMekLab
+ Issue #611: [Errata] Naval Repair Facilities should use 2 docking collars no matter their capacity
+ Issue #636: TRO summary does not show armored components
+ Issue #644: Weight-Free Heat Sinks of Small Craft and Dropship is not changed when change the shape
+ Issue #642: Removed weapons of Aerospace Fighter's ammunition is still available
+ Issue #645: Unequal BV calculation when adding CASE (II)
+ Issue #647: Quarters, infantry bay, and Life Support cost calculations are wrong on large craft
+ Issue #654: Base Tech of the ammunition of Thumper Artillery is changed to Clans if change the unit to Mixed Inner Sphere
+ Issue #655: Mass Drivers use more slots than shown
+ PR #673: Indicate commercial armor on mech record sheet
+ Issue #657: Tripod/Super Heavy Tech base show -Error-
+ Issue #659: Jumping MP not updated if Improved Jump Jets are removed as a result of changing the production year of a Mek
+ Issue #661: Cannot create bays with 0 doors (except plain Cargo) on large aerospace units
+ Issue #662: Loading Combat Vehicle with Vehicular Stealth Armor always make a new section named Vehicular Stealth
+ Issue #668: Aft Right weapons arc on spheroid DropShips does not properly display extra fire control tonnage
+ Issue #670: Changing DropShip engine from military to civilian does not update displayed information
+ Issue #677: Electronic Warfare equipment (ECM, Beagle, etc) ranges missing from RS
+ Issue #681: StringIndexOutOfBoundsException errors, possibly a problem loading Mission Equipment Storage
+ Issue #682: Equipment from older version of MML failing to load
+ Issue #679: LRM/SRM bays on large aerospace units do not reflect damage increase from Artemis IV
+ Issue #695: Specialized Infantry, No Secondary Weapons error with no 2nd weapons
+ Issue #705: External engine type in Rail Support Vehicle causes load failure
+ Issue #703: Printing issues for HMG and VSP
+ Issue #708: Heavy Vibro-Claw causes NPE
+ PR #709: Record sheet option: support for tabletop miniatures scale

MekHQ:
+ PR #1825: Adding Advance to Next Monday to the AdvanceDaysDialog
+ Issue #1828: Rolling over to the next month when using AtB and your current faction goes extinct will no longer cause an error
+ Issue #1827: Adding documentation comment for required Excel version for Awards Tracker
+ Issue #1819: Fixing Time in Rank without Time in Service
+ Issue #1821: Can now reach all directories for images
+ PR #1830: Picking techs for refit now orders the techs by type then skill level, so you don't have to strain your eyes looking for that one aero tech
+ Issue #1822: Making the default Force Icon into a transparent background
+ Issue #1816: Fixing Portrait Changing in the Same Category
+ Issues #1797 and #1820: DateTime to LocalDate Switchover and Date Fixes
+ Issue #1840: Properly Implementing the Attached Camo Option
+ Issue #1847: Fixing Time in Service
+ Issue #1861: tryingToMarry and tryingToConceive flags are now saved properly
+ PR #1863: Retirement Date Tracking
+ PR #1864: Random Callsign Generator
+ Issue #1871: Implementing sorting fixes for the personnel tab
+ PR #1850: Phenotype Rework Implementing Vehicle, ProtoMech, and Naval Phenotypes
+ PR #1669: Implementing the MegaMek Unit Selector in MekHQ
+ Issue #198: Adding Ransom Mech and Ransom Prisoner Options for Scenario Resolution
+ Issue #1881: Outer planets in Weldry system can now be clicked
+ Issues #1569 and #1570 Phase 1: Genealogy
+ PR #1857: Personnel biographical view and last name simplification

Enjoy everyone
« Last Edit: 08 August 2020, 10:59:38 by Hammer »
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
HOLDING FOR FUTURE NOTES>
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
Woohoo! Sweet!

Time to start putting together some maps using the sheer cliffs for embankments, cuttings, and the like ...

Thanks again for all of your work on these developments and fixes. And even for teaching Princess to use artillery, although I'm sure I'll come to rue that day ...
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
as always, thanks for the work the team puts into this

it's been a minute since i've printed anything in MML so i may be misremembering, but i accidentally sent a job to printer instead of PDF and the record sheets have an abnormally large margin, about an inch (2.54cm) to the data box from the left edge rather than 3/8" (~1cm) on the official sheets in Record Sheets: Clan Invasion. it causes the the record sheet to scale to about 66% size. that definitely gets to be dicey reading without my glasses.

is this a printer issue, settings issue, deliberate, or a bug?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website

it's been a minute since i've printed anything in MML so i may be misremembering, but i accidentally sent a job to printer instead of PDF and the record sheets have an abnormally large margin, about an inch (2.54cm) to the data box from the left edge rather than 3/8" (~1cm) on the official sheets in Record Sheets: Clan Invasion. it causes the the record sheet to scale to about 66% size. that definitely gets to be dicey reading without my glasses.

Lots of changes since RS:CI

It was the first RS Book I was involved in fully and was also the first one with new code. Since then I've learned a lot and the sheets have had lots of tweaks and have been approved by CGL.
« Last Edit: 02 August 2020, 22:17:50 by Hammer »
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
For genealogy, phase 1 was implementing proper parent-person-child tracking, improving relationship determination, and implementing proper relationship checking.

Phase 2 is more backend work to enable the creation of a simpler form of personnel for ancestors (this has been started and tested, but I'm not finalized on what the minimum product includes yet).

Phase 3 will be a basic family editor based on merely the parent-person-child relationship.

There are a few more phases after that, but I'm only solid on the next two (cause they are both currently in progress)
MegaMek Developer - MekHQ, Personnel, and Internal Focus
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Lots of changes since RS:CI

It was the first RS Book I was involved in fully and was also the first one with new code. Since then I've learned a lot and the sheets have had lots of tweaks and have been approved by CGL.

it appears to be the same in TRO: Golden Century. there's nothing wrong with the sheets MML is putting out - it's just they're printing with double-sized margins on my printer and PDF output that are over twice the size. it's causing the text to scale down considerably. i've attached the lupus d from TRO: GS and an Apollo 1M from .47.8 for reference. just trying to figure out if it's on my end

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
I noticed something in there about Excel sheets and Awards. Can someone go into more detail? Can you set up your own awards?
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
Amazing work you guys! Can anyone explain what synchronised mech selectors means?

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
The Select Unit from Cache, Purchase Unit, and Add Unit are now all the same GUI and mostly the same backend, with just some minor changes based on how they work.
MegaMek Developer - MekHQ, Personnel, and Internal Focus
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Re: New Development Snapshot 0.47.8 for Megamek, MegaMekLab, and MekHQ
« Reply #10 on: 03 August 2020, 10:22:56 »
Amazing work you guys! Can anyone explain what synchronised mech selectors means?

The Select Unit from Cache, Purchase Unit, and Add Unit are now all the same GUI and mostly the same backend, with just some minor changes based on how they work.

Just to add to this, prior each program basically had different unit selectors. The one in Megamek was much more robust and had more features (advanced search)
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 03 August 2020, 10:31:32 »
Has the random map generator been updated to include creating cliffs?
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #12 on: 03 August 2020, 10:42:15 »
Has the random map generator been updated to include creating cliffs?
I don't think so. But I'll see if I can find out.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

neoancient

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek team member
« Reply #13 on: 03 August 2020, 11:13:11 »

If you send it to the printer, it will print with whatever the margins are set to in the printer dialog.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #14 on: 03 August 2020, 11:19:10 »
so to confirm, it is a me problem? others are not having this issue?

it makes the big margins whether i print to pdf (adobe or microsoft), or print a physical copy so i don't know where to look to adjust settings
« Last Edit: 03 August 2020, 11:30:26 by Sartris »

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #15 on: 03 August 2020, 15:02:05 »
I'm getting the extra wide printer margins also, whether printing a physical copy or pdf (not a problem with my printer)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #16 on: 03 August 2020, 15:05:36 »
ok the plot thickens.

i had forgotten MML now does export to PDF naively so i tried that rather than printing to a PDF driver.

violà, it came out with the correct margins. printing is still giving me 1" margins. i tried "borderless printing" in the printer options but all that happened was that the top margin was removed with no change to scaling.

addendum: it seems the font on my native pdf exports is times new roman... obviously not the right one. is it possible to change that?
« Last Edit: 03 August 2020, 15:16:47 by Sartris »

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #17 on: 03 August 2020, 15:44:32 »
ok the plot thickens.

i had forgotten MML now does export to PDF naively so i tried that rather than printing to a PDF driver.

violà, it came out with the correct margins. printing is still giving me 1" margins. i tried "borderless printing" in the printer options but all that happened was that the top margin was removed with no change to scaling.

addendum: it seems the font on my native pdf exports is times new roman... obviously not the right one. is it possible to change that?
We are not allowed to include the Eurostile font in the releases due to copyright. You can change the fonts used in the configuration dialog.

But the official sheets are printed with it. As for margins I suspect it's a setting buried in the printer dialog box somewhere.

MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #18 on: 03 August 2020, 15:47:12 »
We are not allowed to include the Eurostile font in the releases due to copyright. You can change the fonts used in the configuration dialog.

ah, that makes sense. my first assumption with any tech issue that i'm at fault somehow  :))

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #19 on: 03 August 2020, 17:24:51 »
So it seems error #1222 is still kind of there for MekHQ.

I just resolved a fight with some LB-10X Field Gunners(if they are custom I did not make them) and when they finally let me click to reload them the task was still there, even after clicking Advance Day but if you save and reload it is resolved.

If you guys want it I have a save immediately after the fight I can upload.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #20 on: 03 August 2020, 17:31:38 »
But the official sheets are printed with it. As for margins I suspect it's a setting buried in the printer dialog box somewhere.

digging around, i found a thread in stackoverflow that said print margins in java automatically default to 1". It's the only explanation i can think of as i can't find anything on my PC's end. i have no idea if that's an issue here but it's the one explanation this non-programmer came up with that replicated the issue.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #21 on: 03 August 2020, 18:16:38 »
If you send it to the printer, it will print with whatever the margins are set to in the printer dialog.

So what changed, and why? It didn't used to do this when you printed or printed to pdf.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 03 August 2020, 18:17:29 »
Also, how do I increase the amount of memory Megameklab is allowed to use? It's choking on batch exporting a large number of mech files to pdf.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #23 on: 03 August 2020, 22:31:45 »
Also, how do I increase the amount of memory Megameklab is allowed to use? It's choking on batch exporting a large number of mech files to pdf.

1. Right click Megameklab.l4j.ini
2. replace 1024 with some larger number
3. Save
4. Profit

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #24 on: 04 August 2020, 00:25:52 »
the thick plot thickens

it appears to be an issue that appeared in 47.7. the last stable and 47.6 print without the big margins

Plinythemechwarrior

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #25 on: 04 August 2020, 13:22:19 »
Phenomenal work, thank you for continuing to update Megamek! It's been a blast running scenarios for my local group :)
Capellans delenda est               Agent #1014, Prince Rupert, Canada

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 04 August 2020, 14:04:15 »
1. Right click Megameklab.l4j.ini
2. replace 1024 with some larger number
3. Save
4. Profit

This results in megameklab failing to start.  :P

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #27 on: 04 August 2020, 14:23:27 »
This results in megameklab failing to start.  :P

Most likely then you have a 32 bit version of Java installed.  If it is possible I would recommend a 64 bit version instead.  The third Windows option on this page.

The second most likely possibility is it does need to be a specific number.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 04 August 2020, 15:47:18 »
Most likely then you have a 32 bit version of Java installed.  If it is possible I would recommend a 64 bit version instead.  The third Windows option on this page.

The second most likely possibility is it does need to be a specific number.

I've been doing multiples of 1024. I'm almost certain I should have 64 bit java, but hell, I'll try again.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #29 on: 04 August 2020, 16:22:07 »
I've been doing multiples of 1024. I'm almost certain I should have 64 bit java, but hell, I'll try again.

I somehow got a 32 bit install of Java a while back and the same thing happened to me(any Java program with more than 1024 allocated wouldn't even run) so not sure how you would have gotten it but the described symptomology lines up.