Author Topic: Favorite Character (from the faction you can't stand)  (Read 16928 times)

Batman

• Warrant Officer
  • You have the ability to instill great fear
Re: Favorite Character (from the faction you can't stand)
« Reply #30 on: 31 January 2011, 14:58:08 »
I've *wanted* to like Gorgeous George. But it's poor, maligned Michael Hasek-Davion that always gets my vote from the Hasek-clan.

Yeah! Michael Hasek!

HuronWarrior

• Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 31 January 2011, 20:54:30 »
Not a faction I can't stand, but one I've never really gotten into. For the Lyrans, its definitely Archer Christifori.

If they'd kept his character, and maybe done with his Avengers what the AFFS did to form the Chisholm's Raiders... But they didn't.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 31 January 2011, 20:59:30 »
Paul Vishio. Slow, plodding, methodical.  The closest thing in that book Jake Kabrinski had to an antagonist that wasn't a strawman.
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #33 on: 31 January 2011, 21:06:23 »
Nasty K. Becuse, well, hell, its Nasty K. Dragoon or Wolf, she's awesome, And probably damaged my adolescent years more than I care to admit.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 31 January 2011, 21:08:14 »
 Katrina Steiner

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #35 on: 31 January 2011, 21:12:29 »
Nasty K. Becuse, well, hell, its Nasty K. Dragoon or Wolf, she's awesome, And probably damaged my adolescent years more than I care to admit.

Hehe.  Too much information.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #36 on: 01 February 2011, 00:41:18 »
Other than the original Tales artwork, never liked Natasha much.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #37 on: 01 February 2011, 00:43:43 »
Not a faction I can't stand, but one I've never really gotten into. For the Lyrans, its definitely Archer Christifori.

If they'd kept his character, and maybe done with his Avengers what the AFFS did to form the Chisholm's Raiders... But they didn't.

According to Masters & Minions, the Falcons sent a headhunter unit after him at the start of the Jihad.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #38 on: 01 February 2011, 00:48:26 »
Absalom Truscott, first Khan of the Star Adders.....the guy was cool, just my kind of military commander. "This is happening...Execute
contingency Plan B, sub section 3, variation Epsilon." In other words, even when the plan went to heck....he had a plan for that!
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #39 on: 01 February 2011, 04:36:12 »
Hehe.  Too much information.

Probably. But still the truth.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #40 on: 01 February 2011, 08:15:34 »
Aris Sung.  Single handedly made Capellans seem human, in the sense of fiction that is.  I'd never be that scathing about them hereabouts, i promise.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #41 on: 01 February 2011, 08:18:02 »
Mason! (Can't remember his last name).  ;D
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

HuronWarrior

• Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: 01 February 2011, 09:56:42 »
According to Masters & Minions, the Falcons sent a headhunter unit after him at the start of the Jihad.
Which is interesting unto itself, since HB:HS and FM:U went out of their way to ignore that he existed and instead give all the credit for the '64 counterattack to Adam Steiner.
I think the writers were just looking for a way to quietly get rid of a Steiner character they felt wasn't Steiner enough. A brilliant general is axed, but we get to read in the Jihad about Duke Kelswa-Steiner leading LAAF troops (and still not executed for treason for some insane reason) and Colonel Hogarth ineptness.
Probably why I can't find a niche in the Steiner faction.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #43 on: 01 February 2011, 12:28:07 »
Remember, Archer was supposed to have been retired.  The only reason he bothered to get involved in the Civil War was because Kitty Davion pardoned the man who gunned down his sister as a political favor.  Remove either of those elements (his sister being killed or the murderer being pardoned) and he'd have probably stayed home.

Also, he did deliberately set up the resolution of Operation Audacity in a way for Adam Steiner to take the credit.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

topcat

• Corporal
  • Blake save us from combined yawns... err, arms!
« Reply #44 on: 01 February 2011, 13:33:07 »
Every time I try to answer this, I realize that I kind of like the faction of the person I plan to write down.  If I pick a faction that I dislike, then I usually can't pick a character that I like from it.  My disliked factions tend to be heavily afflicted with blackhatitis (evil and incompetent) or whitehatitis (good and hypercompetent).  There's just not much middle ground to choose from, though factions occasionally switch hats now and then.

That said, I think I can come up with one.  I dislike Clan Wolf for several reasons, but like Vlad Ward.  He's Crusader & Clan to the core and he doesn't always win (indeed, he's often afflicted with blackhatitis), but he's competent more often than not.  He rebuilt his Clan and leads it well, despite the challenges of the setting.

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #45 on: 01 February 2011, 14:45:50 »
I find that I can't get behind the motivations of anyone named "Ward" in the CBT universe.

topcat

• Corporal
  • Blake save us from combined yawns... err, arms!
« Reply #46 on: 01 February 2011, 15:39:46 »
I find that I can't get behind the motivations of anyone named "Ward" in the CBT universe.

I wouldn't necessarily say I like Vlad's motivations - I'm not much of a fan of the Clans - but his character is interesting to me because he's a prominent character that isn't completely incompetent or an unabashed Mary Sue.  That's kind of a rarity in CBT.

If I ask you to tell me which character I'm talking about and give you the following clues: tradition-revering, politics-hating, tactical genius, reluctant but incredible warrior... it's probably easier to name characters that I'm not talking about than to pinpoint the one that I am.  It's almost like there's a checklist for CBT protagonists.  You could throw in "whiskey-loving" and hardly make a dent in the list.  Vlad stands out, to me anyway, because he doesn't adhere to that mold.

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #47 on: 01 February 2011, 16:19:07 »
Different isn't always good. I like to feel a connection to the character other than "Onward for glory", so I need to know where they're coming from. It's why I like Peter Davion a lot more than Vic, because I can understand the sibling shadow effect, doing something really, really stupid, and wanting to atone for it.

But yeah, there are a lot of Boy Scouts in the universe. And I'm glad I should never have to hear from Paul Masters again...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #48 on: 01 February 2011, 16:25:02 »
Yeah, he really took the cake as far as one dimensional characters went.

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 01 February 2011, 17:37:10 »
But yeah, there are a lot of Boy Scouts in the universe. And I'm glad I should never have to hear from Paul Masters again...

*shudders*

He was not an agreeable character. Did he perish on Atreus with the rest of his merry little band? If not...  [tickedoff]

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #50 on: 01 February 2011, 18:12:16 »
Rod Trane was better. And he was in STAR LORD.

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 01 February 2011, 19:38:26 »
Never read it. And the boards seem to advise not to.

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #52 on: 01 February 2011, 19:48:33 »
I think all BT novels are worth reading at least once. You're entitled to forge your own opinions about novels that are commonly regarded as wastes of time.

I've found myself enjoying some BT books that would otherwise meet with much derision here.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 01 February 2011, 19:53:46 »
True enough. I've wanted to try reading all of the novels, but they're hard to get my hands on. Damn slippery hands.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #54 on: 01 February 2011, 19:56:49 »
True enough. I've wanted to try reading all of the novels, but they're hard to get my hands on. Damn slippery hands.

You just need something sticky on your hands... wait, that came out wrong.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #55 on: 01 February 2011, 21:18:51 »
Never read it. And the boards seem to advise not to.

I LOVE Star Lord.

I mean, it's terrible, there are many hilarious errors in editing, the plot barely makes sense when you really get right down to it, but at the same time, I LOVE it!
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #56 on: 01 February 2011, 21:21:07 »
Someone should find every reference to Star Lord in other publications and rewrite that horrid little novel so that it doesn't suck but still stays in step with the rest of BattleTech canon.

KolonelK

• Private
« Reply #57 on: 02 February 2011, 00:42:44 »
Marik: Fake Tom Halas
Fedsuns: Whoever died the messiest death  ;D

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #58 on: 02 February 2011, 00:51:06 »
*shudders*

He was not an agreeable character. Did he perish on Atreus with the rest of his merry little band? If not...  [tickedoff]

He's still in the homeworlds, last I heard.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #59 on: 02 February 2011, 01:03:03 »
Lets see....Favorite Character from the "Bad Guys" factions,  IE,  anyone I'm fighting.

Marik:  Kristen Marik,  I mean,  she said F-it, I'm not down w/ being Royalty and went off and became a Merc.... gotta love it.

Liao:  I gotta go w/ Candace,  I mean she proposes to Kell just to keep him at a debate table,  now THAT is focus.

FRR:  Ragnar,  he started out a weak little kid and turns into this grizzly looking G-Bear Star Colonel.

Combine:  Michi Noketsuna....... This guy was the "aide" to the star of the show in the 4th SW novels, but really turned out to be a solid character IMHO and certainly had one hell of a career.

Jade Falcons:  Aiden is the obvious choice here, so Instead, I'm going to say Horse.

Smoke Jaguars:  Trent, because it sucks being a "traitor" but sometimes you just have to say...... ISNT THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS SYSTEM, when the system promotes backstabbing politics & sociopathic slaughtering of innocents.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo