Author Topic: My thoughts on the latest issue of Shrapnel  (Read 65391 times)

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
Re: My thoughts on the latest issue of Shrapnel
« Reply #240 on: 18 April 2022, 22:42:41 »
Used one of those executioners: facind down a whole lance by itself, I alpha striked, went up about, oh, 20ish on the heat scale, shut down, died.

so, ah, be careful when using them. ;-P  ;D ;D

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #241 on: 22 April 2022, 08:23:48 »
After reading Colt Ward's report on his Astrokaszy campaign I went ahead and bought th last issue of Shrapnel ahead of the time I had planned to do it. Lovely issue on general perusal, but I have only read the campaign.

A few things about the Astrikaszy thing:

1. Do you think it would be OK to play using Alpha Strike? AS has higher damage to machines than classic most of the time, so I am unsure here.

2. Am I correct in that you can ONLY repair oa mech utterly dismantling a mech you destroyed on the tabletop? So, if you do not kill 4 mechs per encounter your lance cannot be fully repaired?

3. What if you keep some of those destroyed Shervanis mechs around? Can you repair them and add them to your lance?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #242 on: 22 April 2022, 08:55:33 »
After reading Colt Ward's report on his Astrokaszy campaign I went ahead and bought th last issue of Shrapnel ahead of the time I had planned to do it. Lovely issue on general perusal, but I have only read the campaign.

A few things about the Astrokaszy thing:

1. Do you think it would be OK to play using Alpha Strike? AS has higher damage to machines than classic most of the time, so I am unsure here.
Depends on your definition of OK.  In addition to balancing differences for different rulesets, the missions assign mapsheets, and the equipment swap options would be more complicated in AS (and possibly have no AS effect). The battles are rather small for AS, and so can also be much more "swingy" than assumed.  I wouldn't say you couldn't use AS, but it is definitely not built to take advantage of AS's strengths.

2. Am I correct in that you can ONLY repair oa mech utterly dismantling a mech you destroyed on the tabletop? So, if you do not kill 4 mechs per encounter your lance cannot be fully repaired?
Yep on the first.  The second depends on how many 'mechs you get damaged (beyond just armor/structure/ammo) of course, but you've got the general idea.  The major points were 1) simple and 2) encouraging being frugal with repairs and making entering combat with minor damage a likely event.  I would hope that every player that goes through the campaign has to struggle with the choice at least once, whether a 'mech with a minor critical effect is worth repairing or not.

3. What if you keep some of those destroyed Shervanis mechs around? Can you repair them and add them to your lance?
Not as written.  The goal was to emphasize you want to get off planet, you and your 'mechs. And to keep it simple.  So salvage is purely to repair your 'Mechs.  Perhaps it's part of the contract in return for the armor/structure/ammo repairs.  Didn't want to get into that level of detail for this campaign, but to focus on simple and what you start with making it off planet.

You're welcome to do with the campaign as you want though.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #243 on: 25 April 2022, 05:07:55 »
Ok, on Astrokaszy repairs (again) I might have bene reading the repairs part wrongly, and considering them to be overly harsh when they are not. To be sure:

a. All armor and internal (not critical) damage and ammo are repaired/reloaded for free after each mission.
b. You need to destroy an enemy mech to repair all critical hits one of your mechs.

Is that correct?

I was reading that in order to repair ANYTHING (from the first point of armor lost onwards) you needed to destroy an enemy mech and thought it was very punshing for your force, but maybe it is not so bad after all...
« Last Edit: 26 April 2022, 06:13:07 by Elmoth »

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #244 on: 16 June 2022, 07:20:54 »

The Art of Salvage - Matthew Cross

Another entry in the ongoing lecture series set in 3125.  It's interesting that the focus is on rigging up sleds for 'Mechs to haul wrecks back to field repair centers or rear area depots for salvage.  Other stories (and Wizards of the Coast cards) have featured teams of technicians going out into the field and stripping wrecks there.  I guess hauling the whole carcass back lets you get internal structure and other items that field stripping teams wouldn't have the carrying capacity for.  This lecture seems to presume, however, that 'Mech recovery vehicles won't be available in any quantity, since a flatbed with manipulator arms seems like a better alternative to a combat unit hauling a sled full of parts rather than continuing to engage the enemy.

So, I never really got to respond here, but the main focus of this lecture series is  BattleMech Engineering for MechWarriors.  I put extra focus on what a MechWarrior would be doing during a salvage op compared to having some salvage vehicles in the field, but I can definitely see how it came off as recovery vehicles aren't as available. 

I can't wait to see what you guys think of my article in #9, as I think its the best yet!

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #245 on: 20 June 2022, 10:26:03 »
Okay, about half-way through 9 and I am loving everything so far.  It's downstairs, so I don't have titles and authors and such, just some thoughts (I'll be more comprehensive on a later post)

some things I love:
- another weapons thing by Craig Reed! I've been digging these because, here and there in fiction, I've been able to put names to things like "she tucked her sniper rifle into her shoulder pocket..."
- Bryan Young's ongoing Fox Patrol: will this series ever end? hope not!  I love everything about this series, and this story in particular was a return to form for Young, the apparently charmed commander continuing her Cinderella run on luck and Charisma, and the URBANMECH drink?  It was PERFECT!
- A FIRE MANDRILL STORY.  I can't tell you how much I almost screamed seeing that.  Now, I ain't no monkey-Clan stan, but I -do- love when Clans that have had very little "facetime" over the past 30 years get a moment in the sun.  A well crafted story, captures both Clans PERFECTLY, a lot to love here.
- I really enjoyed that little Merc Write-up.  Good tone, and fleshes out the 2SW a little more.  Good stuff.

anywhoo, that's where I am and what i can remember, more in a couple of days.  Overall, looks to be another winning issue from the team, and can't wait for the double-sized number 10!!
« Last Edit: 20 June 2022, 10:27:41 by five_corparty »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #246 on: 20 June 2022, 11:49:30 »
I've got a couple of questions in to Craig via PM about the latest weapon article before posting the TW conversions.  I'm hoping for typos.  If not, Support Lasers are now Standard weapons...  :o

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #247 on: 22 June 2022, 07:24:01 »
I've got a couple of questions in to Craig via PM about the latest weapon article before posting the TW conversions.  I'm hoping for typos.  If not, Support Lasers are now Standard weapons...  :o

FWIW, I've been lurking and digging those, too. :-)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #248 on: 22 June 2022, 18:28:55 »
Glad you're enjoying those threads!  :thumbsup:

Firebird

• Recruit
« Reply #249 on: 04 July 2022, 20:23:52 »
Really liked "Meat, Metal, Ham" in this one, strong writing and an interesting tone. Very unromantic look at the business. Looks like it was a debut writer? Good stuff.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #250 on: 15 December 2022, 23:13:00 »
SHRAPNEL 11 is live on Amazon (in Kindle)!

And what a cover!  I -love- the first story (Plowshares) and will give more thorough reviews once I have a chance to read it all!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #251 on: 16 December 2022, 04:13:13 »
Any new weapons in this one? ???

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #252 on: 16 December 2022, 08:32:08 »

dunno yet, sorry!

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #253 on: 16 December 2022, 08:46:58 »

Do you consider trained pterodactyls launched from a 'Mech's forearm, falconer style, as a new weapon?
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #254 on: 16 December 2022, 11:20:45 »
I can't help but wonder whether the mercenary roundup article in Shrapnel #11 ought perhaps to have been held back until after Dominions Divided was published, as part of it gives away one of the key plot points set to unfold in that volume.

Actually, that same article appears to offer a glimpse at Galatea's new political affiliation...

Angrii

• Sergeant
« Reply #255 on: 16 December 2022, 13:08:34 »
I can't help but wonder whether the mercenary roundup article in Shrapnel #11 ought perhaps to have been held back until after Dominions Divided was published, as part of it gives away one of the key plot points set to unfold in that volume.

Actually, that same article appears to offer a glimpse at Galatea's new political affiliation...

Oh do tell!
Welcome to interesting times

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #256 on: 16 December 2022, 15:32:08 »
Another fine issue:

The Plowshare: An interesting look at what the Goliath Scorpions were up to while the Invading Clans were prepping for the big day.  Interesting that the Inner Sphere traders are able to transact in C-Bills this far out in the Deep Periphery, so Roskan must be on what passes for a major shipping lane utilized by the Explorer Corps.

Voices of the Sphere: The New Mercenary Market: As noted, the MRBC seems to be on the way out.  Will the Sea Foxes have the same sort of monopoly?

Signing Day: A nice fleshing out of a throwaway line from the NAIS Military Atlas of the 4th Succession War, about the Waco Rangers recruiting locals during their fight for Satalice.  This being the Waco Rangers, I was sort of hoping to see Jed being asked to take the "Death Oath," pledging vengeance upon Wolf's Dragoons as a condition of enlisting.

Battle Cobra: Another throwaway FASA line turned into a fleshed out article - following up on a statement that ComStar had built their own copies of captured Battle Cobras.  I like the idea of making it a progenitor of the Celestial series.

Ghostbird: A nice companion piece to Bryan's recent novel, giving Alexis a far deeper backstory and giving us a window into interactions between the Ghost Bears and civilians in the Rasalhague Dominion.

Cockpit Amenities: This sort of content was long overdue.  I think the last time such amenities were visited was in Stardate Vol. 3 #5, as part of Blaine Pardoe's NAIS MechWarrior Training Manual article series.  This is far more comprehensive, and an excellent resource for RPG players.

Unit Digest: First Kearny Highlanders: A nice update on what happened to the Highlanders after Terra, and a lead-in to the short fiction in the Alpha Strike box set.

Up Close: Interesting to see the perspective from a FWL backwater, where even a decade in, the reality of the Clan Invasion hasn't set in, and people still aren't sure what's real or myth.

Inner Sphere Ingenuity: Matthew Cross continues the 3125 lecture series on technology, this time covering Inner Sphere technological advances from the Clan perspective.  Usually, we get an Inner Sphere commentator going on about the superiority of Clan tech, so it's fun to see the conversation from the other side.

Comin' to Towne: I've always liked Vic Milan's concept of Towne's megafauna, and when the call came for a holiday-themed article, I couldn't resist using the holiday jingle as inspiration to set an adventure there, complete with Krampus, Santana's Slayers going down en route to deliver gifts, and highlighting the BattleTech line's lack of a DNC-3R Dancer, PNC-3R Prancer, or CP-1D Cupid.  When I tested it out with my daughter, she found exploits I'd never considered when writing it (such as, instead of sneaking past the Eiglotherium pile, breaking into the 'Mech bay and hacking into the Barghest, then using it to turn the Eiglotherium herd against the Beastlords.  Never been so proud.)  Unlike last year's Christmas Eve Coup dream sequence, this sucker's canon.

Hell's Highway: The first new Hell's Horses fiction since Philip Lee's "A Living Epitaph" (a BattleCorps piece about a sibko getting slaughtered back in the Kerensky Cluster).  I love it - fleshes out character motivations, and puts them in a cross-country race that requires local climate/geography knowledge to evade the Jade Falcons.  Puts the Cannonball Run to shame.

Information Software at War: The Automated BattleMech Recognition Framework: Building on all the warbook errors seen in the opening chapters of Lethal Heritage, it expands the concept back to the dawn of the BattleMech.  Interestingly, the Kurita ones show that Urizen Kurita II wasn't building from scratch when he imposed Japanese cultural standards in the 2600s - they already had significant cachet for the Combine and DCMS in the 2400s and 2500s, putting these designators in line with the Chi-ha APC of that era.

Three Ways Home: Tom Leveen continues his four-part Taurian Concordat story on the eve of the Reunification War.  It shows that the Concordat wasn't a monolithic state with cultural unity in the antebellum period.  I wonder if the last segment will address the start of the war, and the need to pull together in the face of the looming Davion/Star League invasion?

The Few and the Many: The Canopian Medical Industry's Cultural Isolation:  Many sourcebooks have made note of how much better Canopian medical providers are than the rest of Canopian society.  Significantly more educated, higher quality work, etc., while as of 3025, much of the average Canopian populace reads at the fifth grade level.  I wonder to what extent the divergence is due to the internal culture (which is shown to be grueling) or due to external influences (as hinted at in Randall Bills' "Darkness" Iron Writer story, which suggested that Canopian medical advancements had been provided by outsiders...possibly Clan Wolverine)?

The Space Cowboys from Quatre Belle: This pairs nicely with other Outworlds Alliance stories of this time period, such as Kevil Killiany's Pitcairn Star and Craig Reed's Groundpounder.  Taken together, they begin to trace the evolving relationship between the two aerospace-centric groups.

After Action Report: Longbow Mountain:  The genesis of this article was a desire to revisit some of the early FASA materials (like the Mercenary's Handbook) that had unintentionally goofed on the stellar geography because a central resource hadn't been developed at the time they were written.  Rather than trying to retcon things as "oh, that was just plain wrong," I wanted to go the other way - yes, that makes no sense...unless you know the full context.  Then, you have a story.  Plus, after a nice setup in the Periphery sourcebook and scoring the cover of the original Shrapnel anthology, the timeline moved on and failed to really do anything with the character of Helmar Valasek, so this gave me a chance to revisit the ol' rogue.

Our Two Weeks' Notice: A nicely balanced city battle.  Even better, if you get the new Alpha Strike box, you can fight it with those rules and use the included building fold-ups.

Seal the Deal: A tale spanning decades, this explains why TRO: 3058 lauded the machine as the first new 'Mech design to go into production in centuries, chronicling the difficulties involved in trying to bring the original 'Mech construction example to market.  A fun read.
« Last Edit: 16 December 2022, 16:26:03 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #257 on: 16 December 2022, 16:44:59 »
Thanks for the excellent summary Mendrugo, I'll have to pick it up for details.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #258 on: 16 December 2022, 17:00:17 »
Another fine issue:
Hell's Highway: The first new Hell's Horses fiction since Philip Lee's "A Living Epitaph" (a BattleCorps piece about a sibko getting slaughtered back in the Kerensky Cluster).  I love it - fleshes out character motivations, and puts them in a cross-country race that requires local climate/geography knowledge to evade the Jade Falcons.  Puts the Cannonball Run to shame.

A Trial Most Acceptable in Shrapnel 10 was Hell's Horses vs. The Capellan Confederation ;)
« Last Edit: 16 December 2022, 17:07:22 by five_corparty »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #259 on: 16 December 2022, 17:07:03 »
My error - I’d used a keyword search for (CHH) in the master index, missing the one tagged (CC).

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #260 on: 16 December 2022, 17:08:28 »
My error - I’d used a keyword search for (CHH) in the master index, missing the one tagged (CC).

No worries!  i -figured- it'd been listed oddly, like "Jihad Allies" or something. :-) hahaha

Angrii

• Sergeant
« Reply #261 on: 16 December 2022, 18:08:41 »
In what era does Hell's Highway take place?
Welcome to interesting times

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #262 on: 16 December 2022, 18:12:47 »
In what era does Hell's Highway take place?

3140s

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #263 on: 16 December 2022, 19:35:40 »
Hmmm... no weapons, but the cockpit amenities article might be enough of a reason to pick that one up.  We'll see where I'm at after Christmas...  :)

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #264 on: 16 December 2022, 22:04:00 »

Our Two Weeks' Notice: A nicely balanced city battle.  Even better, if you get the new Alpha Strike box, you can fight it with those rules and use the included building fold-ups.

Oh god it's that guy again making scenarios, such a Bear simp.
But no really I appreciate how you thought it was balanced. I listened to everyone's notes when I submitted it and even then resisted the urge to tweak it more.  :thumbsup:
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #265 on: 19 December 2022, 08:47:27 »
From "COCKPIT AMENITIES IN MODERN BATTLEMECHS"
Even the smallest Inner Sphere-built cockpits have enough space for most people to straighten either their arms or legs, if not both. Most seats recline and slide, and top-end models (common on assault and command ’Mechs like the BattleMaster and Atlas) also rotate and convert to full-length sleeping modes.

I am now expecting La-Z-Boy and Serta to provide command chairs for 'Mechs. (This also explains all the "You got caught with the Colonel's daughter" jokes in various stories and MW3 Life Paths.  ;))
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #266 on: 29 December 2022, 11:38:44 »

You literally just sold this issue of Shrapnel to me. Thank you for this.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

JunglePlague

• Recruit
  • More enthusiasm than skill...
« Reply #267 on: 11 September 2023, 12:09:40 »
Wow!

I have to give a shout out to Anchors Aweigh, by J. D. Neil.

I like this one a lot.  A bright, up-and-coming mechwarrior gets an invite into a brand-new Star League Special Forces combined arms unit.  Since he was just dumped by his girl back home, he goes for it without taking time to think it over.  And he pulls his tech along for the ride.

I expect to see this one continued down the line.  At least, I hope so!

Thanks!  I am not on the forums much (clearly) - but I appreciate the kind words! 
Amateur painter, questionable writer, atrocious tactical commander - but ENTHUSIASTIC MECHWARRIOR!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #268 on: 12 September 2023, 23:51:52 »
Thanks!  I am not on the forums much (clearly) - but I appreciate the kind words!

Not a problem.  I took a lot of time away as well.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae