Author Topic: Mercenary Hall  (Read 212072 times)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: Mercenary Hall
« Reply #1110 on: 29 December 2015, 02:56:03 »
A couple. As has Deadborder - check out his unit in the non canon section. He's also got a good blog (link in the ATOW section).

I've run two units from try 3130s to the 40s. Both vehicle and BA heavy, usually with only a lance to alight company of mechs.
Good fun

I'm slowly cross-posting the blog to the Non-Canon section too. There's a lot of it
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #1111 on: 07 March 2016, 06:09:19 »
Ok, Awesome !! Let's keep this going gang.
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1112 on: 07 March 2016, 14:26:58 »
So new novel . . . features mercs!  It interestingly got into the professionalism and what it means to have a contract . . . as well as nasty Blakists!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #1113 on: 07 March 2016, 18:56:31 »
So new novel . . . features mercs!  It interestingly got into the professionalism and what it means to have a contract . . . as well as nasty Blakists!

And it's a damn fine book! I finished it last night and really enjoyed it.
Tough situation to find yourself in just as the Jihad breaks out.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1114 on: 07 March 2016, 21:19:11 »
Yeah . . . it explores the right thing to do, the legal thing to do, and the smart thing to do . . . and how they are not always the same thing.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1115 on: 16 March 2016, 02:40:52 »
Did the Dragoons ever reform Zeta after the Jihad?  or even during?

Does a massive hammer like that still have a place in the combined arms warfare?  what about their speed during 3130s era?
Colt Ward

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1116 on: 16 March 2016, 08:12:07 »
Did the Dragoons ever reform Zeta after the Jihad?  or even during?

Does a massive hammer like that still have a place in the combined arms warfare?  what about their speed during 3130s era?
They have completely different line up of regiments. I think (without looking at the books) there a battalion, that like Zeta.  I'm not sure which one is which thou, three Tarantulas, Wolfbane and the Spider's Web Battalion.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #1117 on: 15 April 2016, 00:09:07 »
I'm working on some Dark Age mercs (again) and this time it's the Dioscuri. I'm looking for recommendations for medium 'Mechs that are era and faction appropriate and have minis. I'm putting together an Alpha Strike force and I'd like to go with a fair number of mediums to go with their rules in CM:Mercs, not that I'm planning on using those rules as they're meant for a different era but I thought it'd be fluffy.

Any how... I need merc mediums that have minis in the DA and your help is greatly appreciated.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #1118 on: 15 April 2016, 00:15:53 »
The Night Stalker is currently one of my favourite Dark Age mediums - complete with high speed and a lance!

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #1119 on: 15 April 2016, 09:42:38 »
The Night Stalker is currently one of my favourite Dark Age mediums - complete with high speed and a lance!

Good call, I really like that one too.

This forum needs a like button.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #1120 on: 15 April 2016, 18:18:41 »
Ha! Very true

If you're making a merc lance featuring a Night Stalker, the Jackalope is a good companion.

Night Stalker, paired Jackalopes and something like an UzL-8S Uziel.
That's a fast moving recon or pursuit lance that can dish out some hurt.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1121 on: 16 April 2016, 17:49:44 »
The 8S Uziel is a beast. I heartily recommend it
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Kojak

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #1122 on: 16 April 2016, 19:18:43 »
Heartily seconded. The UZL-8S is a god among medium 'Mechs and should be feared and respected in equal measure.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #1123 on: 17 April 2016, 13:15:47 »
Looks like I've a kitbash in my future; Locust guns, Pariah jump jets and a little cutting look like they could do the trick.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1124 on: 17 April 2016, 13:23:07 »
I like the Raven II, in the Dark Age she gets a TSEMP cannon and still has her Void Signature...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1125 on: 18 April 2016, 08:23:16 »
Void Sig?  Pretty sure it is Stealth armor . . .
Colt Ward

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1126 on: 18 April 2016, 19:12:58 »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1127 on: 18 April 2016, 20:28:08 »
No, what I am saying is I am pretty sure the Raven II has Stealth Armor.  Checked, yup.
Colt Ward

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #1128 on: 18 April 2016, 22:09:02 »
MUL doesn't list the RVN-5X as being available to mercs and it isn't on any merc RAT that I'm aware of so it's moot.

What about the Black Hawk 2? I'm also interested in theMad Cat III 4 as it shows up and I believe the extant mini represents it well.

Any other ideas? I'm looking at about half a dozen and I'd prefer to avoid repeats.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1129 on: 19 April 2016, 00:21:56 »
Shockwave . . .

I love the Havoc, its mini is great except for the butt flaps.  They are driving me nuts.

Was the Stalking Spider II released as a mini yet?

I cannot find the Hound as a mini which is too bad.  Hawkwolf might be in the same boat.

You also have the staples- Warhammer IIC 4, Savage Wolf, Koshi, Mad Cat Mk II series and Jade Hawk- brought to you by your favorite Sea Fox merchant.
Colt Ward

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #1130 on: 19 April 2016, 11:53:25 »
Shockwave is a good consideration.

I'm right with you on theHavoc; love the stats but those plates are a pain.

No Stalking Spider yet but the Hound is on the release schedule. No word on the Hawk Wolf as far as I know.

While the others are good it's mediums I'm searching for. I will take them into consideration however.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1131 on: 19 April 2016, 12:02:10 »
Sorry, missed that when I scrolled up . . .

Well . . . I like the Quasimodo mini, easy to fit together and it has some good posing options.  Its a solid performer in the era too. 

I thought the Stalking Spider II had already been released?  I would swear I know someone with one though I guess it could be a kitbash.  Well, you have the Violator . . . if you are desperate.  Mongrel can be fun, fluffed as popular with merc commands.
Colt Ward

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #1132 on: 17 February 2019, 06:21:26 »
Figured i'd reserect this thread rather than start a new one.

Which Merc units have survived from the 1st succession war through to 3150?

I'm thinking there are 6 but want to check in case i've missed some:-

Crater Cobras
Illician Lancers
Langendorf Lancers
Narhal's Raiders
Northwind Highlanders
12th Vegan Rangers

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #1133 on: 18 February 2019, 21:32:46 »
I probably wouldn’t call the Highlanders a Merc unit as they’ve been Republic of the Sphere regulars since about 3085.
I think you’re right on all the rest though

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #1134 on: 19 February 2019, 14:10:09 »
I've assumed they are again from the affiliation given in the Grey Watch Regiments information at the end if Shattered Fortress.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #1135 on: 19 February 2019, 16:24:05 »
I've assumed they are again from the affiliation given in the Grey Watch Regiments information at the end if Shattered Fortress.

You’re probably right then - I’ve not picked it up yet.
Well, good to see them back in the merc trade

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1136 on: 20 February 2019, 08:14:18 »
Do you think Grey Watch is related to Highlander battalion outside of the Fortress with Campbell?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #1137 on: 20 February 2019, 09:20:09 »
Do you think Grey Watch is related to Highlander battalion outside of the Fortress with Campbell?

Oh yes. In so much as both are Northwind Highlander units

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1138 on: 20 February 2019, 10:33:54 »
Well . . . Campbell is no longer outside the Fortress . . .
Colt Ward

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #1139 on: 20 February 2019, 11:03:45 »
Well . . . Campbell is no longer outside the Fortress . . .

Or her Highlander Battalion.