Author Topic: Question regarding fan-fiction and "suggestive" content  (Read 2754 times)

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Question regarding fan-fiction and "suggestive" content
« on: 20 February 2021, 16:32:13 »
Got a screen in my head: the morning after a couple celebrate the first anniversary of them getting together. Clear implication is they spent a significant time... hugging passionately, the night before.

Intention of the scene is setting up how important this relationship is to the two of them, with them talking about exactly how they first got together, and some vague reference to them teasing eachother, playfully. Also a reference to the fact that the woman is wearing a gold gross on a chain around her neck, which hangs down over...a certain part of her torso.

Don't want to write smut: it's not that kind of story, but I do want to make it believable. But I also want to be able to post it here. Are there any guidelines for just what kind of language I can use or things I can infer?
« Last Edit: 21 February 2021, 09:01:28 by JA Baker »
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Re: Question regarding fan-fiction and "suggestive" content
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2021, 17:04:29 »
It's a PG-13 site so non graphic nod-nod wink-wink this happened last night or this will happen normally can infer the mood

That said in a couple of the novels it's been said certain person is topless for all to see I'm thinking Anastasia Kerensky in the book she becomes a Steel Wolf

Or the references the Clans have regarding "coupling".  But these are novels not the website not the same rules I think books are an individual experience while the website can be seen by many

I'm not a mod by any stretch of the imagination but I try to approach it as PG13 your youngest and oldest reader are not within your control
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2021, 21:10:28 »
Well, there in lay the problem: there's what I would consider acceptable, which is basically stating that a character is naked, and letting the reader fill in the blanks, and some, in my mind, risqué banter, may not seem quit so tame in the eyes of the moderators.

I may normally ascribe to "It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission", but there's an exception to every rule, and this is one of those times.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2021, 09:00:54 »
Finished the scene. Kind of need someone to look it over and give me a go/no-go.

Daryk

• Major General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2021, 09:36:10 »
One of these days I hope to be able to give you that go/no-go, but that won't be for another three and a half years at least...  :-\

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2021, 10:09:59 »
One of these days I hope to be able to give you that go/no-go, but that won't be for another three and a half years at least...  :-\
You just want a sneak-peak  ;D

Daryk

• Major General
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2021, 10:19:16 »
Won't deny that!  You're up there with Cannonshop and Drakensis on my "must read" list, despite your prefrence for clan era and after stuff...  ^-^

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #7 on: 21 February 2021, 12:02:08 »
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm also working on another one-shot that's more vague as to exactly when it takes place.

Daryk

• Major General
« Reply #8 on: 21 February 2021, 14:36:01 »
I does, cool!  :thumbsup:

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2021, 07:14:59 »
Okay, so is there like someone I should contact directly about this?

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2021, 16:27:33 »
Okay, so is there like someone I should contact directly about this?

We are aware and discussing it.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Daryk

• Major General
« Reply #11 on: 22 February 2021, 18:09:01 »
God and Davion aside, that's the sort of question I would pose to our esteemed ombudsman, Worktroll.  It's the label on the tin, after all!  :)

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2021, 21:05:28 »
Not sure whether it was better to start a new thread or piggyback off this one because I had a related question...

I see the policies about language in forum Rule 2, and I've read the clarification about not trying to evade the forum software censor, but I'm still a bit unclear. Is it OK to use (mild) "cuss words"/vulgarities in a fanfic as long as I spell them out normally so the censor software catches it? The fanfic I'm working on now includes characters saying the s-word or the b-s-word a few times, nothing stronger than that. Or do I need to rewrite so they say something else entirely?
« Last Edit: 27 March 2021, 21:07:27 by Middcore »
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Daryk

• Major General
« Reply #13 on: 27 March 2021, 21:11:07 »
Just type them out.  If the censortron doesn't blank them you're good.  And best of all, if the censortron DOES blank them, you're STILL good...  :)

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #14 on: 27 March 2021, 21:28:44 »
Just type them out.  If the censortron doesn't blank them you're good.  And best of all, if the censortron DOES blank them, you're STILL good...  :)

Thanks, that's certainly easiest.
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Daryk

• Major General
« Reply #15 on: 28 March 2021, 05:12:25 »
You're welcome, and congrats on getting past the captcha!  :thumbsup:

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 29 March 2021, 12:13:49 »

This is the correct answer.

Never try to partially censor a word. Just type it all out and let the censortron do its thing. If you stumble on one of those rare situations where censortron doesn't catch a word that it should, we'll deal with it.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Daryk

• Major General
« Reply #17 on: 29 March 2021, 17:29:28 »
Thank you for the affirmation!  I'd hoped that my self-imposed exile was good for something...

Register