Author Topic: Canopis Cat Girls: canon or fanon?  (Read 17210 times)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: Canopis Cat Girls: canon or fanon?
« Reply #30 on: 28 March 2021, 18:48:22 »
Disciplines like economics or statistics have less direct applications to gameplay, so they didn't come up as much. Maybe if you try to apply them to BattleTech God just, I don't know, squirts a cat girl with water from a spray bottle or something. They're not dead, but they won't like it much. Won't someone PLEASE think of the cat girls?
Yes it causes the waveform of the cat girl to collapse and then they get spontaneously teleported outside of the MoC, it is very inconvenient for those cat girls. 
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #31 on: 28 March 2021, 19:42:30 »
FASAnomics is its own very special mine field...  ::)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 28 March 2021, 19:44:14 »
filled with reality-bending bouncing bettys
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #33 on: 28 March 2021, 20:27:57 »
It all comes down to the 'why' of this character being a cat girl.
Because I think having a cat girl piloting a Mech would be funny, and I'm probably never going to get around to finishing a Warhammer 40k story I was writing, so the planed Felinid character is kind of just sitting there in the back of my head...
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

R.Tempest

• Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 29 March 2021, 22:26:49 »
Because I think having a cat girl piloting a Mech would be funny, and I'm probably never going to get around to finishing a Warhammer 40k story I was writing, so the planed Felinid character is kind of just sitting there in the back of my head...
Better be a Panther then. :)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 30 March 2021, 11:48:06 »
filled with reality-bending bouncing bettys
You just might need a Cat Girl to tip toe though the mine field
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 30 March 2021, 18:01:15 »
Well played, DOC_Agren, well played...  8)

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 05 April 2021, 20:11:46 »
I think there is one picture somewhere that shows the rear area of a Pleasure Circus. The mids are generally prosthetics over amputated limbs. Ears are probably the same with ports to connect them and when removed the hair of a person would cover the ports up.

Makes sense not even the Clans have perfected genetic engineering.  And if the cat girls where genetically created there would have been more and possibly scattered enhanced humans around the Inner Sphere.  I kind of wondered if the Battletech mythology would be different if it started in the 90’s would we have seen more genetic engineering with technological engineering?

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #38 on: 07 April 2021, 21:50:42 »

I'll just say yes because catgirls.
"This is why the same true fighting will never employ ornate, showy, or wide patterns, [nor will it include] exaggerated moves which are useful only for the entertainment of spectators."

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 07 April 2021, 22:35:19 »
Well, we might have an example of that with the people of Frobisher in Interstellar Expeditions, where they were adapted to survive in the planet's oceans, while remaining mostly human-looking (originally. Things went downhill after the fall of the Star League).

If it had been the future of the 90's instead of the 80s, it might be that while BT still wouldn't have aliens, the humans might have been quite different.

Valaska

• Corporal
« Reply #40 on: 09 April 2021, 21:56:16 »
It's Canon, but has been blown out of all proportion by the Fandom

They exist largely as an extension of the whole "pleasure circus" industry; ie, to cater to fetishes through the sex trade. The Canopians support this as it's a part of both their economy and their intelligence apparatus.

You're no more likely to find a catgirl wandering the streets of Canopus then you would today in any given place on Earth.

I wouldn't say blown out of proportion haha, just a quirk. The Canopus PERIOD is out there and crazy, Clanners would come to the magistrate for R&R even. I think it'd be a pretty widespread thing, to be frank. It gives a lot of neat options for the Canopus if they are biological mods too, when I was a kid I always got the impression they were far more advanced in medical science and other things than most the noble houses. Which is sort of implied in a lot of points of the lore.

It's one of those really fun, quirky, awesome things that happened back in proper Battletech. So it's one of those things people like to have fun with and you don't see it too much in talks of lore and such. Just one of those really cool caveats.  The best thing is they haven't gone back on the lore like some OTHER table top games have, they embraced it in the BattleTech game! Great stuff.

Canopus was always that fascination of lore I had when I was young and playing as FedSun, but I thought it'd be too complicated to set them up back when we adhered to the MUL. But now I am thinking of making my IS mechs from the kickstarter into either Fedsun again or a Canopus outfit.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2021, 21:57:59 by Valaska »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #41 on: 09 April 2021, 22:01:46 »
If they do exist, they must be quick nimble warriors with (cough) Cat like reflexes.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 09 April 2021, 22:15:41 »
Well played, DOC_Agren, well played...  8)
thank you thank you, I'm here all week..  Eat the Veal

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Phantom000

• Corporal
« Reply #43 on: 24 April 2021, 17:49:55 »
I wouldn't say blown out of proportion haha, just a quirk. The Canopus PERIOD is out there and crazy, Clanners would come to the magistrate for R&R even. I think it'd be a pretty widespread thing, to be frank. It gives a lot of neat options for the Canopus if they are biological mods too, when I was a kid I always got the impression they were far more advanced in medical science and other things than most the noble houses. Which is sort of implied in a lot of points of the lore.

I wonder what would happen if someone, possibly in the Magistracy, decided to use information on Clan genetic breeding programs and their ironwomb technology for, ummm, other purposes...

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 24 April 2021, 18:09:43 »
I wonder what would happen if someone, possibly in the Magistracy, decided to use information on Clan genetic breeding programs and their ironwomb technology for, ummm, other purposes...

This is why the WoB should have won
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 24 April 2021, 23:54:44 »

Tough to say. It can really run against the Magistracy's ethos of freedom if you use it for anything odd.

Sure. Great medical tech, can help with pregnancy issues, etc, but...

If you're using it like the Clans, then you're potentially creating a slave class. "We bred you to fight!"

And heaven help the ramifications of other use.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 25 April 2021, 05:19:01 »
Tough to say. It can really run against the Magistracy's ethos of freedom if you use it for anything odd.

Sure. Great medical tech, can help with pregnancy issues, etc, but...

If you're using it like the Clans, then you're potentially creating a slave class. "We bred you to fight!"

And heaven help the ramifications of other use.
It is the MoC, it will mainly be used for cosmetics with any combat enhancements being a government subsidized 'side-effect'.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 25 April 2021, 08:35:44 »
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/off-topic/canopian-catgirls/msg337499/#msg337499

I put some brainmeat at the idea a while ago when I thought up the Magistracy's special operations counter-Blakist "Felis Domini" troops.  Hell, aside from getting surgical scars to heal really clean, it's doable today...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #48 on: 25 April 2021, 09:35:00 »
I thought that's what the Ebon Magistrate was already?  ???

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 25 April 2021, 09:38:03 »
Well yeah but my name was cooler. :D
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #50 on: 25 April 2021, 09:45:24 »
Touché!   :D

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 25 April 2021, 10:03:37 »
It is the MoC, it will mainly be used for cosmetics with any combat enhancements being a government subsidized 'side-effect'.

Maybe in a meme Magistracy.

But the Magistracy doesn't really need the Iron Womb technologies on a large scale. Small scale use for some problems yes, but not large scale use.

Bioengineering could easily be done without the need for Iron Wombs.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 25 April 2021, 11:25:45 »
Maybe in a meme Magistracy.

But the Magistracy doesn't really need the Iron Womb technologies on a large scale. Small scale use for some problems yes, but not large scale use.

Bioengineering could easily be done without the need for Iron Wombs.
They also do not need Bioengineering, however both Bioengineering and Iron Womb technology are both useful tools. 

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 25 April 2021, 12:42:35 »
Sure, but the original question was about clan breeding protocols and the iron womb technology for "other" purposes.

They're useful tools, but not in a large scale manner for the Magistracy.  Large scale use would seem to indicate some of servitor or warrior caste, which goes against the Magistracy's ethos of individual freedom.

If you got around the whole designer child issue, then sure, I could see some parents going for a kid that's potentially faster and stronger and what not, but that's again a small scale issue,since they want 1 perfect kid, and not 300 in a sibko. So you wouldn't need mass amounts of Iron Wombs, beyond what you might need for pregnancy issues.

So yeah. Like any medical technology, the iron wombs would be helpful, as would potentially the genetic engineering information, but not on a scale where the Magistracy would be producing legions of X.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 25 April 2021, 13:34:24 »

What do you define as large scale?

idea weenie

• Major
Re: Canopus Cat Girls: canon or fanon?
« Reply #55 on: 25 April 2021, 14:07:49 »
Sure, but the original question was about clan breeding protocols and the iron womb technology for "other" purposes.

They're useful tools, but not in a large scale manner for the Magistracy.  Large scale use would seem to indicate some of servitor or warrior caste, which goes against the Magistracy's ethos of individual freedom.

If you got around the whole designer child issue, then sure, I could see some parents going for a kid that's potentially faster and stronger and what not, but that's again a small scale issue,since they want 1 perfect kid, and not 300 in a sibko. So you wouldn't need mass amounts of Iron Wombs, beyond what you might need for pregnancy issues.

Very good math point.  Off-hand each Iron Womb would be good for 1 child per year, so a planetary population of 1 billion growing at .5% of its population annually, if using just Iron Wombs would require 5 million Iron Wombs (with that number also needing to grow at .5% annually).  I estimate the Clans as a whole only have ~400,000 to 800,000 Iron Wombs.

(Clans overall have 115,000 Warriors, average age is 45.  Assuming 30 years between testing out and dying, means about 4,000 IW were needed to produce them.  If each sibko only graduates 1 Warrior, and since each sibko is over 100 people, that means 100 IW were needed to produce that Warrior, so that is 400,000 needed to produce the steady stream of Warriors.  If more than 1 Warrior is produced, then divide that 400,000 by the average number of Warriors produced per sibko.  If more than 100 kids is the average per sibko, take that average and multiply that by 4,000.  If the Iron Wombs are not 100% effective, then take the number of Iron Wombs and divide it by the % of children that come out.)

Rough math: (Number of Clan Warriors * number of kids in a sibko) / (average number of years each Warrior is alive * number of Warriors produced in a sibko * Iron Womb success rate)

So yeah. Like any medical technology, the iron wombs would be helpful, as would potentially the genetic engineering information, but not on a scale where the Magistracy would be producing legions of X.

Since this is the Magistracy, it would technically be legions of XX   ;D
« Last Edit: 25 April 2021, 16:08:23 by idea weenie »

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #56 on: 25 April 2021, 15:34:35 »
What do you define as large scale?

Its hard to define, but something like "beyond the scope necessary to provide medical care in cases of infertility, pregnancy issues, etc." Medical emergencies for the most part.

Anything on a scale needed to produce  a caste system basically.

Though I would note even small scale usage to produce say, 50 sibkos of kids would go against the Magistracy's ethos.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #57 on: 25 April 2021, 15:48:43 »
The OP's misspelling finally got to me... I hope my correction above will fix future replies.  If not, the OP can fix it by editing the "Subject" of the original post itself.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 25 April 2021, 16:32:48 »
Its hard to define, but something like "beyond the scope necessary to provide medical care in cases of infertility, pregnancy issues, etc." Medical emergencies for the most part.

Anything on a scale needed to produce  a caste system basically.

Though I would note even small scale usage to produce say, 50 sibkos of kids would go against the Magistracy's ethos.
That is essentially circular, of "if not medically necessary" then automatically caste system?

Forget about medical necessity. If there is full commercial availability (no medical requirements) to anyone with the means to pay for it, then we can see some true large scale output even if most will not decide to go into the military.   

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #59 on: 25 April 2021, 16:39:59 »
When your civilian population has that much innate talent, a draft starts to look VERY attractive...

EDIT: And I see the OP does indeed need to fix the OP... :sigh: