Author Topic: Artillery for infantry  (Read 2313 times)

jamesbeil

• Corporal
Artillery for infantry
« on: 30 April 2021, 16:03:30 »
What do you guys use to represent field guns carried by infantry? Also, can you recommend any small ranges of vehicles, jeeps, trucks, etc, that I can add onto infantry bases to represent certain types of motorised/mechanised/support gun infantry?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
Re: Artillery for infantry
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2021, 16:28:39 »
IWM has some towed artillery pieces that you can use to put with the infantry. But that will be obnoxiously large I’d think.

I am planning on using some dark age infantry who use a small gun emplacement and just transfer it wholesale
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2021, 19:39:06 »
IWM has a decent selection of BT-specific vehicles to use for motorized/mechanized infantry. The J27 with Thumper is a great artillery piece for infantry.

I have also used GHQ (1/285th) minis. They appear slightly smaller than the standard BT vehicle, in the same way old 'Mech minis are smaller than current, but they aren't too bad. The WW2 line is a favorite of mine, and the selection is massive.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2021, 05:53:03 »
DA infantry, field guns, and W40K Epic scale Rhinos work beautifully.

DA Thumpers on a hex base, with loose DA infantry as crew

DA Monocycles repurposed into hoverbikes, with a DA THunder missile launcher as Arrow IV infantry platoon, with DA IS Standard BA

DA Towed Artillery as Long Toms, with spare infantry on half-hexes as crew

DA Trackbikes and ATVs as mechanised infantry, with more monocycles converted to hoverbike infantry

Here GHQ White scout cars are the basis for motorised infantry, with a half DA figure providing the driver. GHQ stuff is small for BT, and smaller against DA stuff.

More improvised motorised infantry with a mechanised trackbike platoon ...

Plus technicals!

Loves me those Epic Rhinos. The Whirlwinds (with the spikes up front) are my go-to for engineering vehicles. Plus some more field artillery.

DA field guns as AC-10s

More bikers

Rhinos are indeed epic for this use

And of course ...

"Drive me closer, so I can hit them with my sword!"

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jamesbeil

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2021, 13:55:29 »
Those look amazing, but what does 'DA' stand for? I'm sure there's printing people who will do a load of tiny rhinos, but where did you get your guns?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2021, 14:11:02 »
a) We don't support piracy - eg. having people print things that are other people's IP. It's in the site Rules, and we hope people understand this.

b) search for W40K epic rhino on ebay, and get the plastic ones.

c) Are you aware of the Battletech-adjacent game MechWarrior: Dark Age? Lasted from 2000 to 2008, producing plastic minis of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and battle armour. Tens of millions of figures were produced. They were more N-scale (1:200) compared to the classic BattleTech scale of 1:285, but both sin greviously against consistency ;) The infantry & BA, and some vehicles, are totally usable on BT hex maps, while the 'Mechs are often best used as source for greeblies when modding BT minis. Abbreviated MW:DA, or (as in this case) just DA.

While the nicer ones are beginning to dry up on eBay, check your local trade websites - you'll often see "Box of minis" up for sale as someone exits that hobby, and can pick things up in bulk for cheap.

I can also recommend Skytrex - UK manufacturer of metal WW2 & modern armour & infantry. Their Action 200 (1:200) scale work goes beautifully with BT 'Mechs. And because I love engineering vehicles ...

And who doesn't love the Stalwart as a heavy wheeled APC?

Or LAVs for the same use:

The Technicals were Z-scale cars purchased off eBay, for reference.

* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2021, 15:09:01 »
Biggest BANG-fer-yer-BUCK is by far SOLAR MARINES:

https://www.pfc-cinc.com/catalog/item/8020030/8644369.htm

This set will cost you $8, and get you a lot 'field guns'

And they are scaled perfectly for BT as they are 6mm.

I have them mixed into a lot of my forces.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

jamesbeil

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2021, 15:18:20 »
Biggest BANG-fer-yer-BUCK is by far SOLAR MARINES:

https://www.pfc-cinc.com/catalog/item/8020030/8644369.htm

This set will cost you $8, and get you a lot 'field guns'

And they are scaled perfectly for BT as they are 6mm.

I have them mixed into a lot of my forces.

Those are fantastic, I'll have to make a big order with some of their vehicles as well as it's coming to the UK!

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2021, 16:39:43 »
Those are fantastic, I'll have to make a big order with some of their vehicles as well as it's coming to the UK!

If you click on foreign retailers they have a UK based retailer. Might help save some shipping costs
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2021, 17:47:30 »

Oh yeah, and at $8 for 42 pieces, that's also 3 of each gun. 12 guns for $8
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 13 July 2021, 22:17:30 »
Worktroll
your mini work is beautiful... I wish I had half your talent.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 13 July 2021, 22:34:35 »
Doc, I am at best an experienced amateur. Drop me a pm if you want to talk bang-for-buck techniques.

Alzer

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2021, 23:35:07 »
I found a set of Epic 40k minis that has machine gun and cannon manned guns.  Probably useable for Field guns but for now I'm just having them represent Laser and Machine Gun platoons respectively.
20th Avalon Hussars
Marion Highlanders

Register