Author Topic: Mars Rising - Marian Hegemony V: Barbari ite Domum!  (Read 101666 times)

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
Re: Mars Rising - Marian Hegemony V: Barbari ite Domum!
« Reply #1020 on: 26 July 2023, 19:06:42 »
If it's all about the writers, then fan theories don't matter.

At the end of the day, while fun to do, fan theorycrafting is a kind of mental masturbation. You can use all your knowledge of accumulated setting lore, or apply RL knowledge to a fictional setting, but if the authors decide to make a tiny faction to get 11 mech regiments from their nether-zones, or get a "glorious national rebirth", or just came back from the dead because of the narrative they choose for the setting, or other reasons, its all for nothing.

You can explain all the reasons why the Canopian expedition could fail or succeed, but if the writers decide that the opposite of what you said happens, you can not do anything. Heck, the writer can even create another possibilities that you didn't even considered. Maybe the canopian Mary Sue and company meet the exiled WoB Shadow Divisions while in route, and they jointly decide to go to fight against the Clan Wolf Empire. Only the writers, and Line Director knows.

Sorry if i sound a bit nihilistic, but after following the development of a number of fictional universes and how the writers affected those universes with their choices, it made me a bit jaded.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #1021 on: 27 July 2023, 03:32:23 »
That's right, and there has already been plenty of units appearing out of nowhere to reinforce many factions. Canopians inexplicably getting Blood Asps is one.

Shin_Fenris

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor never dies
    • 357th Infernal Division
« Reply #1022 on: 27 July 2023, 05:25:15 »
That's right, and there has already been plenty of units appearing out of nowhere to reinforce many factions. Canopians inexplicably getting Blood Asps is one.

...lolwut. Canopians have Blood Asps now?
If this battlefield is Hell, then it is our home and wherever we go, Hell and chaos shall follow.

Lead 'Mech Wrangler: 357th Infernal Division, NE USA
Tai-sa Shiro "Fenris" Takeda, Mercenary: Kuroi Kaze (MAD-6KK Marauder II)
Galaxy Commander Zane Schmitt, Clan Blood Spirit: Iota Galaxy (Blood Kite 2)
Captain Brutus "Bloodsport" Carver, Mercenary: Song's Sentinels (SQS-TH-002 Sasquatch)
CI Backer #138 Merc Backer #32
Just here for KS info - y'all are too argumentative for real discussions.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1023 on: 27 July 2023, 06:14:07 »
From the Snow Ravens.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #1024 on: 27 July 2023, 06:46:28 »
From the Snow Ravens.

What has already been said by the almighty pen of the writer in this case a Snow Raven Pen

Shin_Fenris

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor never dies
    • 357th Infernal Division
« Reply #1025 on: 27 July 2023, 07:32:07 »
From the Snow Ravens.

..the Snow Ravens visited Canopus? Hm. It's a brave new universe.

I love it, can't wait to paint one or two up in Canopian livery.
If this battlefield is Hell, then it is our home and wherever we go, Hell and chaos shall follow.

Lead 'Mech Wrangler: 357th Infernal Division, NE USA
Tai-sa Shiro "Fenris" Takeda, Mercenary: Kuroi Kaze (MAD-6KK Marauder II)
Galaxy Commander Zane Schmitt, Clan Blood Spirit: Iota Galaxy (Blood Kite 2)
Captain Brutus "Bloodsport" Carver, Mercenary: Song's Sentinels (SQS-TH-002 Sasquatch)
CI Backer #138 Merc Backer #32
Just here for KS info - y'all are too argumentative for real discussions.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1026 on: 27 July 2023, 11:12:27 »
..the Snow Ravens visited Canopus? Hm. It's a brave new universe.

I love it, can't wait to paint one or two up in Canopian livery.

In 3149 a group of Snow Raven came to New Abilene for shit and giggles,  trialed the Canopians, mauled a company of the Second  Magistracy  Highlanders with only 3 Blood Asps, and because the canopians were good chaps, they left them the slightly damaged omnis and a token of goodwill. Basically a sales pitch, because the Raven are building the omni for export.

Starfury

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1027 on: 27 July 2023, 20:18:31 »
And pretty much everyone who can afford one is buying, which somehow includes the Filtvelt Coalition.
But anyway, has anyone constructed a Dark Age Legion yet? And does each Legion have an Auxilia Legion of vehicles, infantry and aerospace attached to it?

Also how did the Cohors Morituri get an A rating for the RAT table in FM 3145? I thought they were the dregs used for shock troops and cannon fodder, not a bunch of hardened killers given the best in the MAF?

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #1028 on: 28 July 2023, 02:40:52 »
And pretty much everyone who can afford one is buying, which somehow includes the Filtvelt Coalition.
But anyway, has anyone constructed a Dark Age Legion yet? And does each Legion have an Auxilia Legion of vehicles, infantry and aerospace attached to it?

Also how did the Cohors Morituri get an A rating for the RAT table in FM 3145? I thought they were the dregs used for shock troops and cannon fodder, not a bunch of hardened killers given the best in the MAF?

Each Legion has a Legion of Mechs, 2 of Tanks and Infantry, 1 ASF Wing, except the Alba Wing which is larger than a Standard Wing
The Cohors Mortuori beyond its fame receives a lot of equipment for being in the Alphard Province, besides I suspect that based on them another Legion could well be made in 3145 its size exceeded almost three times that of a common Cohort

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1029 on: 28 July 2023, 06:23:14 »
What has already been said by the almighty pen of the writer in this case a Snow Raven Pen
You had to expect the Snow Ravens to see how well the Sea Foxes are doing and get in on the action. :tongue:

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #1030 on: 28 July 2023, 10:46:19 »
The Sea Foxes are the most active in trading, but the Wolf and Snow Raven merchants are out there trying to compete. The Falcon, Horses and Bears seem content to stay some what isolated from trading with the Innersphere powers.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1031 on: 28 July 2023, 12:14:58 »
The Sea Foxes are the most active in trading, but the Wolf and Snow Raven merchants are out there trying to compete. The Falcon, Horses and Bears seem content to stay some what isolated from trading with the Innersphere powers.

Falcons & Bears sell their products to the Foxes to sell onward . . . Horses had less, historically IIRC from MWDA mini release, as an option.  FREX, the amount of post Jihad Falcon mechs & vehicles found in the MWDA lists point to SOMEONE selling them onward- Grand Summoner, Hel, Skadi VTOL, Skanda (prod fluff makes no sense), Gurzil, Nacon scout, Chalcuiwhatever, and Sokar.  The vehicles being produced primarily by two companies on two worlds.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #1032 on: 29 July 2023, 02:33:06 »
The Bears made some inroads with other IS powers (at least during the Jihad and after that). For example they encouraged JES to increase their production and allowed them sales in the IS which was then taxed. This led to the development of the JES 1 and 2 missile carriers. And the Horses also made some inroads with the Lyrans to get resources they didn't had. Though never to the Sphere spanning empire the Foxes now have (though more likely due to the fact that they have a relam that ties alot of Jumpships unlike the Foxes who are in essence divided into large trading fleets)

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #1033 on: 29 July 2023, 09:10:52 »
You had to expect the Snow Ravens to see how well the Sea Foxes are doing and get in on the action. :tongue:

Look at the map. Snow Ravens appearing in Canopus and gifting 3 Clan Assault OmniMechs?

Only a Canopian fanboy would write that into canon. Suddenly the hedonistic feminists become a "warrior culture respected by a Clan".

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1034 on: 29 July 2023, 10:07:18 »
Look at the map. Snow Ravens appearing in Canopus and gifting 3 Clan Assault OmniMechs?

Only a Canopian fanboy would write that into canon. Suddenly the hedonistic feminists become a "warrior culture respected by a Clan".

Honestly, the Raven gifting 3 omnis is a very small thing compared to other stuff. And i will stop there.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1035 on: 29 July 2023, 10:14:47 »
Falcons & Bears sell their products to the Foxes to sell onward . . . Horses had less, historically IIRC from MWDA mini release, as an option.  FREX, the amount of post Jihad Falcon mechs & vehicles found in the MWDA lists point to SOMEONE selling them onward- Grand Summoner, Hel, Skadi VTOL, Skanda (prod fluff makes no sense), Gurzil, Nacon scout, Chalcuiwhatever, and Sokar.  The vehicles being produced primarily by two companies on two worlds.

Lyrans comquered and keep Pandorafor a time, and sold the clantech units produced both in Quicksell and RDI facilities to everyone.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #1036 on: 29 July 2023, 11:52:51 »
Going back to the Hegemony for a bit...I think I've found some good proxies for a Dreadnought Mk II, or at least core chasses for a kitbash. I do have a second Sandcrawler for an additional trailer, I just have to open the package.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #1037 on: 30 July 2023, 05:22:48 »
Fun idea! You could turn the second crawler around, flat against flat with the first- would fit well I think.

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #1038 on: 30 July 2023, 08:14:25 »
Going back to the Hegemony for a bit...I think I've found some good proxies for a Dreadnought Mk II, or at least core chasses for a kitbash. I do have a second Sandcrawler for an additional trailer, I just have to open the package.
That looks pretty viable to me. If the Principes/Legatus/whoever in charge isn't named 'Roger Utini' I'll be real disappointed though...

Would you repaint it/them? What colors are you thinking?
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #1039 on: 30 July 2023, 12:22:54 »
I'm definitely going to repaint it, and also add weapons, tracks, and maybe some other greebles. No idea on colors yet. I don't even know if these things are government-operated or purely a corporate asset*, and that would likely affect things. All I really do know is that I intend to give it ophthalmoi, the eyes that typically were painted on the front of Greek and Roman ships.

*If it is a company asset, I'm going to assume it's one of those companies where the government(or the ruling family) is a major stakeholder.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #1040 on: 13 September 2023, 10:41:31 »
We got several small support Vehicles and a single combat Vee on the MUL- the latter escaping me sadly. Have you guys found out what is new?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1041 on: 13 September 2023, 15:52:51 »
the AToW companion had the availability filled out (and maybe some MW 1E stuff? i don't remember as i processed several hundred things). it's all via the periphery general list

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1042 on: 14 September 2023, 07:40:50 »
Well, looks like the Cohors Morituri will be covered in the upcoming Shrapnel issue.

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #1043 on: 14 September 2023, 10:18:19 »
the AToW companion had the availability filled out (and maybe some MW 1E stuff? i don't remember as i processed several hundred things). it's all via the periphery general list

Thanks! I think it is one of the MW 1E scouts....

Well, looks like the Cohors Morituri will be covered in the upcoming Shrapnel issue.

Good news- looking forward to that!

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #1044 on: 15 September 2023, 05:48:07 »

Hopefully they will be really badass.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1045 on: 15 September 2023, 11:32:58 »
I can see a possible Cohort with a Maniple of mech, a mixed Maniple with a Century each of BA and  Testudo and another Maniple of Support Infantry.

I totally wouldn't mind such a unit myself.

Using them as shock troopers as they were back in the day.

Old school deathniks...give them heavy units to scare off opponents.

I've used Ignis in this unit before, especially the SRM variant.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1046 on: 15 September 2023, 16:05:41 »
There's a new trend on TikTok that tells women to ask their men how often they think of Rome, and apparently the average number is shockingly large.  For my part, I don't keep track of such things, but I do have two documentaries in my DVR queue on Roman subjects right now. :cheesy:

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1047 on: 15 September 2023, 20:50:59 »
I’ve got four podcasts on Roman history in my regular rotation, and maybe 4-5 other history podcasts I listen to that touch on Rome periodically.  So I’m hearing something about Rome almost daily (I listen to way too many podcasts).

If y’all are interested:
The History of Rome by Mike Duncan (relistening for the third time)
The History of Byzantium by Robin Pierson (an ongoing follow-on to the above, 2nd listen)
Totalus Rankium: Roman Emperors by, uh, Rob & Jaime (British teachers, they never give anything beyond their first names.  They’re just finishing up their second season)
The Partial Historians by Drs. Greenfield and Radness (Australian history professors apparently, I have no other names.  Ongoing, only picked up a few months ago, so I’m churning through the back catalogue)
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #1048 on: 16 September 2023, 02:29:32 »
Living in Vienna (=Vindobona) I think about the Romans a lot, you stumble over ruins and artifacts a lot if you know where and what to look for. I grew up in Carinthia, volunteered to help on digs in summer when I had no school, learned Latin- their culture always fascinated me. My wife got me  the Vatican's Lexicon recentis Latinitatis  for birthday a few years ago- fun to use in Marian campaigns  :grin: .

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1049 on: 16 September 2023, 10:15:15 »
I'll bet you've got a favorite Legio...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016